Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

I am being honest. We'll see . . .
Old 07-08-2017, 06:09 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sure the new paint will look just fine any improvement will be welcome;lay it on thicker so the guys can buff to their hearts content, too.
Funny on the hyunai comment. Renting a Sonata right now and honestly the finish is pretty darn nice. Shame on Chebby..

Last edited by cv67; 07-08-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:51 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't think 99.7% of the population will notice any difference between a paint job out of the new and old paint plants.
I suspect the new paint shop at BG is as much a result of decreased emissions as it is paint quality. According to the GM Engineer that spoke at the Corvette Corral at Watkins Glen last weekend, the BG plant is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, plant in the GM system. He said the new shop was designed specifically to paint all the different types of materials used in the Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out how the OP knew they were crystal. I don't even know the guy.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 12,031 Likes on 5,722 Posts

Intercity delivered my new 17 GS this morning at 8:00am so I had the opportunity to fully inspect the paint in multiple lighting conditions throughout the day and I'm very pleased with it.
I visited the dealership a couple weeks ago to inspect the car and paint looked good but car was inside and I was on a tight time schedule to insure I made my flights. I was a little concerned until getting a real good look at it today. I think some colors may be more problematic than others. Mine is Blade Silver.

I don't believe I would want one of the early 2018 off the new paint line, would rather give them a little time to work any potential "bugs" out.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:41 AM
Baltimoron
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
I'm still trying to figure out how the OP knew they were crystal. I don't even know the guy.

Last edited by Baltimoron; 07-09-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Uh huh, they sure don't. People aren't happy with them either. It is that hard, and there aren't any wet-sanding robots. There are dozens and dozens of threads just like below. It appears the first stop for most new Ferraris is a professional paint correction shop.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...t-quality.html

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I fear that the new BG paint shop has been over-hyped and the expectations are far too high. I'm sure once cars start showing up from the new shop, it will be the #1 topic and reason for intense bickering here.
Yep. Every car forum has people complaining about paint. All of them. Not downplaying the C7 paint issues, but if people are expecting no more orange peel I suspect they are in for a big disappointment.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

I happened to watch a couple of "How it's Made" episodes on the Velocity Channel late last night, and caught episodes featuring the Rolls Royce Phantom, and the Lamborghini Aventador.

On the Lambo, composite panels are sanded and smoothed before paint, wet sanding and polishing happens between base and clear, and hours and hours of final polishing and correcting small defects occurs before release. All told, they claimed to invest more than 200 hours in exterior finish work on every car. Pretty much the same process is used on the Phantom, but it is a metal body.

It also reminded me that one of the big issues on C7s is panel waviness, which is characteristic of the sheet molded compound (SMC) body panels. In order to get a perfect exterior finish, they need to be sanded smooth as well prior to priming and painting, because every panel can be a little different out of the mold, but that doesn't happen on vehicles in this price range.

Lastly, on both the Rolls and Lambo episodes, they stressed that the sanding and smoothing process can only be done with human eyes, and labor. There are no robots that can perform that process.

To get a car under $100K, you have to accept some compromises and things that are less than perfect. To get a light car, you have to live with light-weight materials like composites. It's a lot easier to get a smooth finish on a metal-bodied car.

Quick Reply: Break out your crystal balls