Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price difference for Museum Delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 PM
cards51
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Price difference for Museum Delivery?

I know you can get Museum delivery for an extra $1,000. Do you still have to pay the normal $995 dealer delivery charge or is that price removed from the build sheet? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:03 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The delivery charge is mandated so it is still there, standardized delivery charges are mandated so that there isn't a dealer advantage/disadvantage based upon dealer distance from the factory.

But besides the great experience another benefit of museum delivery is you can buy from any dealer to get the best price without concerns of having it shipped. I worked with MacMulkin and got a great deal. It was also a very pleasant buying experience.

Last edited by NSC5; 07-09-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:56 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

The $995 "Destination Charge" on the window sticker covers transportation from the plant to the delivering dealer, regardless of where the dealer is located within the lower 48. For the purpose of this, the NCM is considered a delivering dealer just like Bowling Green's local Chevrolet dealer. The $990 for R8C (NCM Delivery) is for all services rendered by the NCM at the time of delivery.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

You have to pay the $995 delivery charge regardless of where your Corvette comes from. The NCM delivery is a $1000 option.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:09 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by cards51
I know you can get Museum delivery for an extra $1,000. Do you still have to pay the normal $995 dealer delivery charge or is that price removed from the build sheet? Thanks.
Don't think of these two charges as equivalent. NCM delivery may seem expensive, but it is usually a once-in-a-lifetime experience and far different than picking a car up at the dealer and having someone "go over the features" of your new ride. One person is assigned to you for the entire day. The car will be spotless when you pick it up. Your 'handler" takes you through a personalized tour of the museum, and (cough: except for now) a personalized tour of the factory. It's a full, busy, astounding day. Highly recommended.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:21 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Of course, a new C7 now seems to come with a year's free membership in the museum--at least mine did--so you could just drive there, take your own tour, and save the $1000.

Seriously, it's a nice option, but the museum (and factory tour when available) are quite nice in and of themselves.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

It is well worth the added NCM delivery fee, a fun trip with my then 12 year old daughter that neither of us will ever forget. If you think of what most of us waste on designer coffee, soft drinks, alcohol and other stuff in a year museum delivery is damned cheap for a wonderful experience and set of memories that is also healthy (i.e. the walking tour) compared to the aforementioned vices.

We also did the plant tour museum separately the previous summer and daughter Anna was selected from our group to start a new Z06 coming off the line-an experience of which dad is only slightly jealous
Attached Images  

Last edited by NSC5; 07-09-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Another benefit of Museum delivery, which I bought and had a blast worth every penny, is the best PDI team in the business. They know and fully understand how Vette owners feel about their new babies. Unlike many dealers who PDI more pickups than Vettes, by far. Museum PDI will not apply stickers to your car without your permission and even then the sticker will only be a Museum Delivery sticker placed inside the door jam. Also, they sign the underside of the floor pan. At least they did back when I received mine. Kinda cool, in my humble opinion. Notice PDI done on Dec. 22. I picked it up Dec. 23, got it home and in the garage on Dec. 24... Christmas Eve. What a present for myself.

The following users liked this post:
mjdart (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:59 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Don't think of these two charges as equivalent. NCM delivery may seem expensive, but it is usually a once-in-a-lifetime experience and far different than picking a car up at the dealer and having someone "go over the features" of your new ride. One person is assigned to you for the entire day. The car will be spotless when you pick it up. Your 'handler" takes you through a personalized tour of the museum, and (cough: except for now) a personalized tour of the factory. It's a full, busy, astounding day. Highly recommended.
Best $1000 I ever spent!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

True this
Old 07-10-2017, 10:49 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

I had dinner with a C7 buyer who was doing the museum experience, which is different. He was from Texas and didn't want to drive home from the museum having to worry about where to go for his 500 mile recommended oil change. So he had normal dealer delivery and later drove back to the museum with his son. The museum staff then prepped his car to like new condition. I saw it, they did a spectacular detail job. Then they put the car where the normal museum deliveries take place and he had the same experience. I believe it was slightly less at $795, but I may be wrong. I know he and his son were very excited and pleased with the experience. I did the "engine build experience" and "buyers tour" which turned out to be 4 days going into the performance build center and factory. I highly recommend this if you find the means to make it happen, the (bucket list) experience of a lifetime.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:50 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Of course, a new C7 now seems to come with a year's free membership in the museum--at least mine did--so you could just drive there, take your own tour, and save the $1000. Seriously, it's a nice option, but the museum (and factory tour when available) are quite nice in and of themselves.
Sure you could, and I see what you are saying, but there is really no comparison. Lot of people here have had a lot of vettes and it may not be the same for them, but many of us have literally waited a lifetime and now are getting a vette made to order especially for us. If you look at the year-end specs, many people are getting a unique car. We've all seen on this forum how people react from before they order to all the steps in between. They're focused. It's emotional. I had the pleasure seeing my car driven onto "Corvette Boulevard" via the Web Cam. I then watched it sit there for several days until I could get there. I can't even describe the feeling of flying to Nashville, getting the rental, and ultimately seeing the tall yellow tower of the museum at the next exit. We had arrived at Mecca.

And when I walked through the door of that museum I saw my car, MY car! sitting their roped off and sparkling beneath the lights. I couldn't get the grin off my face. I walked to the rope and stared at it. Yes, it was exactly as I ordered it, exactly like I had configured it on the Chevy web site several dozen times in the last year. Exactly the same as I'd seen it come off the assembly line in pictures the month before (I bought the book.) THERE it was with "Do not touch" signs all around it. There was a guy in a red shirt just standing there looking around, a museum employee. I nodded to him and he nodded back to me. I looked at him deadpan. Then I reached out and TOUCHED THE CAR as I stared at him. What was he going to do, beat me up? The look of consternation on his face was priceless. He looked around as if someone else must be watching and setting him up, then he smiled and looked at me and said, "You must be Michael."

Sure, I could have saved $1000 by going to the museum incognito by myself, hurridly toured the plant with 25 other people in the herd, walked out unseen instead of with 100 people clapping and yelling as we drove out of Corvette Boulevard into the sun. Instead I was treated like a King for a day, had an amazing experience, and have a story to tell. There really is no comparison.

Last edited by mschuyler; 07-10-2017 at 01:06 PM.
ea327 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:59 PM
ea327
Drifting

Sure you could, and I see what you are saying, but there is really no comparison. Lot of people here have had a lot of vettes and it may not be the same for them, but many of us have literally waited a lifetime and now are getting a vette made to order especially for them. If you look at the year-end specs, many people are getting a unique car. We've all seen on this forum how people react from before they order to all the steps in between. They're focused. It's emotional. I had the pleasure seeing my car driven onto "Corvette Boulevard" via the Web Cam. I then watched it sit there for several days until I could get there. I can't even describe the feeling of flying to Nashville, getting the rental, and ultimately seeing the tall yellow tower of the museum at the next exit. We had arrived at Mecca.

And when I walked through the door of that museum I saw my car, MY car! sitting their roped off and sparkling beneath the lights. I couldn't get the grin off my face. I walked to the rope and stared at it. Yes, it was exactly as I ordered it, exactly like I had configured it on the Chevy web site several dozen times in the last year. Exactly the same as I'd seen it come off the assembly line in pictures the month before (I bought the book.) THERE it was with "Do not touch" signs all around it. There was a guy in a red short just standing there looking around, a museum employee. I nodded to him and he nodded back to me. I looked at him deadpan. Then I reached out and TOUCHED THE CAR as I stared at him. What was he going to do, beat me up? The look of consternation on his face was priceless. He looked around as if someone else must be watching and setting him up, then he smiled and looked at me and said, "You must be Michael."

Sure, I could have saved $1000 by going to the museum incognito by myself, hurridly toured the plant with 25 other people in the herd, walked out unseen instead of with 100 people clapping and yelling as we drove out of Corvette Boulevard into the sun. Instead I was treated like a King for a day, had an amazing experience, and have a story to tell. There really is no comparison.
Can't think of a thing to add!
mschuyler (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:02 PM
ea327
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frodo
Another benefit of Museum delivery, which I bought and had a blast worth every penny, is the best PDI team in the business. They know and fully understand how Vette owners feel about their new babies. Unlike many dealers who PDI more pickups than Vettes, by far. Museum PDI will not apply stickers to your car without your permission and even then the sticker will only be a Museum Delivery sticker placed inside the door jam. Also, they sign the underside of the floor pan. At least they did back when I received mine. Kinda cool, in my humble opinion. Notice PDI done on Dec. 22. I picked it up Dec. 23, got it home and in the garage on Dec. 24... Christmas Eve. What a present for myself.

Yup. They still do it!
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2017, 01:21 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Sure you could, and I see what you are saying, but there is really no comparison. Lot of people here have had a lot of vettes and it may not be the same for them, but many of us have literally waited a lifetime and now are getting a vette made to order especially for us. If you look at the year-end specs, many people are getting a unique car. We've all seen on this forum how people react from before they order to all the steps in between. They're focused. It's emotional. I had the pleasure seeing my car driven onto "Corvette Boulevard" via the Web Cam. I then watched it sit there for several days until I could get there. I can't even describe the feeling of flying to Nashville, getting the rental, and ultimately seeing the tall yellow tower of the museum at the next exit. We had arrived at Mecca.

And when I walked through the door of that museum I saw my car, MY car! sitting their roped off and sparkling beneath the lights. I couldn't get the grin off my face. I walked to the rope and stared at it. Yes, it was exactly as I ordered it, exactly like I had configured it on the Chevy web site several dozen times in the last year. Exactly the same as I'd seen it come off the assembly line in pictures the month before (I bought the book.) THERE it was with "Do not touch" signs all around it. There was a guy in a red shirt just standing there looking around, a museum employee. I nodded to him and he nodded back to me. I looked at him deadpan. Then I reached out and TOUCHED THE CAR as I stared at him. What was he going to do, beat me up? The look of consternation on his face was priceless. He looked around as if someone else must be watching and setting him up, then he smiled and looked at me and said, "You must be Michael."

While you and I don't always see eye-to-eye, I've gotta say this is an outstanding post. Though I've not done NCM Delivery, I share your excitement every time I visit the museum. The first time I saw my C7 was via texted photo from the dealership while the car was still under cover. That and seeing it in person the first time gave me goosebumps. Multiply that by 100 and it must be what you felt upon seeing your car for the first time at the museum.
mschuyler (07-10-2017)
Old 07-25-2019, 11:26 PM
2turbocobra
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Can you do the museum delivery and then have it delivered to your dealer across the nation? Without paying a shipper? I doubt it but had to ask
Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Nope.You have to pick the car up in BG

Get notified of new replies

To Price difference for Museum Delivery?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:16 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'24

We did the museum delivery in 2012. Back then it was $490. Living in Nashville at the time made it a no brainer...45 minute drive. It was a great experience.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:17 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Not an easy decision a lot depends on how significant the Corvette purchase and history is to you. Most who spend the extra money for the delivery and personal tour think it is well worth the expense. For others not so, save the money if you want to take a tour on your own you can always do that.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,129 Likes on 6,195 Posts

I loved the NCM R8C delivery experience:

Quick Reply: Price difference for Museum Delivery?