thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
the c7 is like nice furniture ...nice to look at and sit in

just don't drive it ..why do you think so many are
{ garage queens}

miss looking at mine ..but life is too short ..so i said bye bye
i screwed up ..and learned my lesson ...
How do you like the Corolla?
The following users liked this post:
SloboGS (07-21-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
Who in the right mind would buy an automatic sports car anyway?
someone who sits in a lot of traffic or physical problems?

The t350 and T400 they got right...from the 700r up pass. Gm can do better thats the pizzer....
Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Where are all the information experts on the Forum when it comes to finding out who is rebuilding these A8's. Maybe a mechanic at a dealership could tell us or is it classified information?
Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 AM
macdizzle
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a bunch of metal and plastic put together. Some of them won't work perfect.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

I think the OP would agree, no matter what you buy it might have some sort of problems. But should be fix and not take months without it. Dealer or GM should offer something.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Do you ever think that GM rushed the A8 to market too quickly? I hear of lots of issues with the A8, not so much for the A6. People were screaming for a DCT and instead got the A8. Kind of reminds me of the old diesels that were rushed to market and those didn't fare too well either.

thank God I got the M7. No problems.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Renocorvette
I love my A8 on my Z06.. I have done many 1/4 mile passes in the low 10's on drag radials and 720WHP. It still shifts like new after 17K miles. I now daily drive at 1024WHP and the drivetrain hasn't had any issues. How many cars in any price range can do this?
I have a very hard driven z as well with no issues.....jump to the z section....link posted in a thread the z tranny is slightly different than the stingray....different clutch packs and tuned not to go in v4 mode as often which is part of the issue I believe with the tc.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I would lemon law it, had a C6 that was a lemon, trans, fuel pumps, electronics and GM bought it back. That did not stop me from buying a 07C6Z and then 8C6Z which were totally different cars that the only problem I had was with the 07 needle bearing. I just bought another after selling my 08C6Z a few years ago and it so far has been a great car and I will be turning that into a C7Z06 when I find the right car.

Good luck with yours hope you documented all the problems so you don't take a big hit.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I have a 2017 A8 and I know the tranny is getting a bad rap on this forum but does anyone really think that the A10 when introduced in the C9 I am guessing will not have any problems also?
Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
Your whining. (and you have a good car thankfully). Your defending the brand (so apparently it's allowed). Their is no rule against being a "fanboy". (I'm one and proud of it). " all corvettes don't suck", far from it but if all that **** happened to me with either my G.S., ZR1, or Z06 I'd be pissed and very possibly quit the brand. So if you can't lend a sympathetic ear then just do the right thing and leave it alone.
Read the post. He says Corvettes suck, and that means yours and mine too, and maybe that makes ZenicaIPA tingly in the special places, but I think it's nonsense.

And I'm not going to correct your grammar but you should.

OP should lemon law his Z and get another one, like mine, that rocks. With the A8. But no, all Corvettes suck, and so do all GMs, so he'll be in a Fiat.

I have a 2017 A8 and I know the tranny is getting a bad rap on this forum but does anyone really think that the A10 when introduced in the C9 I am guessing will not have any problems also?
Doesn't matter HOW great the A10 is, if 5 of the 5000 break, those guys will have 8 posts and be whining on here, and the regular cast of haters will be "Thanking" them for it.

Last edited by davepl; 07-13-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:06 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
the c7 is like nice furniture ...nice to look at and sit in

just don't drive it ..why do you think so many are
{ garage queens}

miss looking at mine ..but life is too short ..so i said bye bye
i screwed up ..and learned my lesson ...
Holy generalize much based on your own experience, or what.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
The A8 (8L90) is actually a very decent transmission and if you remove all of the V4 mode induced torque converter/shudder issues you end up with a very reliable record. I have seen only a few reports of 8L90 transmissions that have "puked their guts out" and that happens with every transmission line including manual. The only systemic flaw, other than the converter clutch, was the drain back in the early models that caused slow engagement right after initial start. The cure for this was implemented fairly early in production and can be added to existing units but even if left as original the problem doesn't get worse/lead to more wear and doesn't detract from the overall driving experience since once it has run for a short time drain back isn't an issue.

I have a Z06 with the A8 transmission and it has been flawless since I picked it up at the museum in March 2016. But mine has always been either in manual mode or has the Range module plugged in when in automatic mode. In both scenarios it works beautifully shifting quickly and smoothly.

Multiple converter revisions followed by the triple flush aren't taking care of the issue; reports are starting to surface of other models (that likely get more miles in a hurry compared to the typical Corvette) that shudder is returning after the triple flush.

GM created this problem when they "squashed" the 8L90 converter so that the transmission could fit in the same overall space as the previous 6L80/90 transmission. Reducing converter depth was a significant part of this package space savings but apparently this reduced packaging volume doesn't leave space for a sufficiently robust converter clutch to stand up to the increased wear caused by constant on/off cycling while in V4 mode.

It would have saved (and still could save) a lot of customer grief if GM at least offered an optional update flash to disable modulated converter clutch operation while in V4 mode. I think the majority of us would definitely choose a little additional V4 mode vibration compared to the converter wear followed by shudder that happens with the current programming. You might even net a marginal increase in V4 mode fuel economy since those "micro-slips" provided by modulating the clutch are now canceled so that converter slippage is now zero.

GM is like many big organizations and tends to stick its collective head in the sand when major problems arise with existing production. It is enjoyable to discover and overcome issues during design but far less so once you are dealing with both ongoing production and a large sold base. In this way corporations are very much like individuals, we have fun buying new stuff but nobody likes paying to repair broken stuff that we already own. But a key part of both risk and crisis management is first contain the problem and stop the bleeding and all GM has accomplished so far with the A8 "solutions" is to make their customers weary from a sequence of failed attempts to address the problem.

GM does a lot of things very well but as a corporation they can be as stubborn as the proverbial Missouri mule about addressing issues that are obvious to the customer base. Of course some of these result in legal action (ignition switch, LS7 valve issue, likely C7 Z06 cooling, and almost assuredly the A8 programming given the huge installed base of 8L45/8L90 transmissions).

Last edited by NSC5; 07-13-2017 at 12:26 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by NSC5:
ddo_texas (07-14-2017), Flame Red (07-13-2017), Foosh (07-13-2017), Jeffer (07-13-2017), Virtual Geezer (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

^

This is the best, and most plausible, summary of the issue I've seen. Thanks.

It's the head-in-the-sand syndrome, and denial that it's a common problem that has been sticking in my craw. It also seems to me that GM has painted itself into a corner because they need AFM for CAFE reasons, and it would cost many, many millions to retrofit the nearly 80K or more cars out there with A8 transmissions.

It is very interesting that those who have avoided AFM engagement entirely don't seem to report the issue as often, perhaps not all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
JimNeedsC7 (07-14-2017), Virtual Geezer (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 12:34 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
It's in the ZL1 and will be in the 2018 Mustangs. Its going to be in all Ford and GM trucks too. I think it will be proven before it shows up in the C8.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear about these A8 issues from 2015 to current model with some of the people that purchased their cars with this Automatic. I am glad I have the A6 and every time I think about upgrading I read about the A8 issue which keeps me in my 2014 A6.

I hope Chevy/GM can get this fixed but for now will continue to follow the forum on this matter.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:41 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts

As soon as you said Classic Chevrolet in Sugar Land I knew the problem.

They are your problem, not GM. Many many happy vette owners.

I too have had issues with that dealer and would never go back. If you were not so dead set on getting rid of it, would suggest you give Mac Haik a try. Much different experience at least for me.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:47 PM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have never had a problem with any manual transmission GM car that I have owned: Pontiac Astre (I know, a POS car with a POS engine); Corsica w/V6 and FE41 package; Firebird Formula with 6sp and my current 2010 C6 coupe...did have some problems with the AT in my Monte Carlo SS, though...Except for the Vette, put well over 100K miles on each of the manual trans cars...replaced 1 clutch, on the Firebird.

If I had the same experience as the OP, I would get rid of the car, too; or, at least try another dealer's service department for satisfaction.

In my experience, GM makes a fine manual transmission and would not consider a Corvette or Camaro without one, regardless of traffic - and I live in a high traffic area, too. Physical problems is another matter, but, if my physical problems were that severe, I probably wouldn't consider a "sports car" of any make...

Get notified of new replies

To Had all I can stand, trading this POS

Old 07-13-2017, 03:00 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Should have bought a Dodge, awesome A8 in the Hellcat
Old 07-13-2017, 03:03 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Didn't take long for the apologists.

While my trans hasn't been pulled three times, it also does not function properly. The dealer simply tells me that can't duplicate the issues and even when I do with their tech riding shot gun, they say they can't determine why it did what it did and then they fall back on, we can't duplicate it again.

I too am becoming disenfranchised with GM.
What are you talking about? I didn't hear anybody here apologize for anything, that's GM and the dealer's job. You're going on and on about a lemon car, it all breaks dude, including the most reliable cars on the planet. My C7 has been flawless, my prior 2007 that I bought @ 8 years old was also flawless, most Corvettes are quite reliable. **** happens, this time it happened to you.

I don't blame you for being frustrated, but it is time to put on your Big Boy Pants and either trade the car for a Porsche or whatever OR try to resolve this with GM. And guess what? Same thing could happen with the next car regardless of brand.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
True, Those poor SOBs have enough problems.
Oh no, let me cry to the Mods! You just made fun of my car.
See how stupid that looks and sounds?

Last edited by sam90lx; 07-13-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Had all I can stand, trading this POS