Sponsored by:

DSC Causing Service Suspension flash

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I used plain old WD-40 on the Controller pins as a Lubricant.
This was to prevent the pins from galling, bending, or being forced down into the Controller when inserting the Controller into the wire harness.
My USB cable has been plugged in for close to 7000 miles in all weather conditions.
Including a 3 hour drive in Torrential rain and steaming hot days in Florida.
After multiple pdts file installs and 3-4 different Firmware installs back and forth, no problems.

The USB cable runs into the engine bay and looped around the Washer Fluid filler tube.
I did not use anything (grease etc) around/on the USB end that's plugged into the Controller.
But do have a zip tie securing a rubber tip over the other end in the engine bay to keep it clean.
Also because if that end is not covered, I presume it's powered up when the cars running and could possibly ground out, maybe ?

As far as heat affecting the cable or the Controller.
IMO, It should not be an issue whether the cable's in the engine bay or not.
The cable and Controller, are still subject to excessive heat in the fender sitting next to the engine bay.
And the heat also flows over the Controller as it exits through the Fender Vent

Just my experience and info for what it's worth
PS: anyone needing rubber end caps, do a search for .. Round Vinyl Plastic Caps ... lots to choose from in all sizes
Attached Images  

Last edited by Dif; 09-18-2017 at 12:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dif:
Foosh (09-18-2017), spinkick (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 08:43 PM
mwlhrh
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 6 ft usb permanently plugged into the controller and slathered a good amount of dielectric grease around the usb plug going into the controller. I wrapped the usb around the silver device and zip-tied down. Finally, I got these from newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3933-_-Product

to cover the usb plug in the engine bay....so far, no suspension flags in the DIC

rob

Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 AM
SFCTeach
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

So I am at Limerock today for a driving clinic (skid pad, auto cross track) and the service suspension is coming up every couple of minutes. Im yanking this POS and returning it. Its clearly the controller because I took the time to verify the pins, connection and slowly reinstalled it. My car is a 2017 Grand Sport. I don't know if the year matters for these?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:02 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I had two controllers go bad. One with cable attached and one with no cable attached. Both times the unit mated up fine and I took my time. And both units lasted approximately 4 hours of driving before they would start to lose connection. Both times it started with a very random seldom flash of the trans warning. It would get progressively worse the longer driven. I checked the pin on the second unit and three were bent and or push in slightly. It seems my car vibrates them out of position. i suspect it's an issue with my stock wiring harrrness. DSC was awesome through the entire process trying to get my car to work. They shipped replacement on there dime as well as my shipping costs. They also refunded me in full! Great company. They are aware of my issue, and if a solid fix is found, I will be back in! Until then it's back to the stock unit. I'm glad to report the stock unit slides in like butter, even after the repeat installs of the DSC. It works perfectly with no issues.

interesting remarks thanks for the compliments i try to do things as if I am the customer which I am. I have created the product DSC to be able to tune the chassis on my own cars including the C7 at the race track and street.
I am sorry you had these issues I really want everyone to be able to experience what I and others are experiencing to that pursuit I am building the next run with a different power supply chip that output is not effected by heat and the voltage stays very constant which is an issue in the camaro I have never seen the issue in the vette but anything is possible. Its possible your C7 may be having a voltage drop due to a overheating power supply. I will have new ecus in testing next week if you want to be part of the test group let me know.
Best Regards,
Michael Levitas
Old 09-19-2017, 12:25 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
interesting remarks thanks for the compliments i try to do things as if I am the customer which I am. I have created the product DSC to be able to tune the chassis on my own cars including the C7 at the race track and street.
I am sorry you had these issues I really want everyone to be able to experience what I and others are experiencing to that pursuit I am building the next run with a different power supply chip that output is not effected by heat and the voltage stays very constant which is an issue in the camaro I have never seen the issue in the vette but anything is possible. Its possible your C7 may be having a voltage drop due to a overheating power supply. I will have new ecus in testing next week if you want to be part of the test group let me know.
Best Regards,
Michael Levitas
I would love to help!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:25 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by SFCTeach
So I am at Limerock today for a driving clinic (skid pad, auto cross track) and the service suspension is coming up every couple of minutes. Im yanking this POS and returning it. Its clearly the controller because I took the time to verify the pins, connection and slowly reinstalled it. My car is a 2017 Grand Sport. I don't know if the year matters for these?
I am also a 2017 GS.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Flyingscot
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Best Regards,
Michael Levitas
Mike,
I would like to be part of your test group. I am having "service suspension" notices, but the controler seems to be working fine. I have the lastest firmware and pdts files (8-28-17 firmware and 8-31-17 pdts files). 2017 GS

Last edited by Flyingscot; 09-19-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:42 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyingscot
Mike,
I would like to be part of your test group. I am having "service suspension" notices, but the controler seems to be working fine. I have the lastest firmware and pdts files (8-28-18)
Latest pdts is dated 8/31/17, not 8/28/17:

http://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Let us know I have a 17 grand sport as well.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Flyingscot
Instructor

Originally Posted by rikhek
Latest pdts is dated 8/31/17, not 8/28/17:

http://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
Caught me. Ok 8-31-17 file for 8-28-17 firmware.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:32 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Installation Procedure Troubleshooting

We would like to take this opportunity to chime in on the thread and help DSC users diagnose the “Service Suspension” light by illustrating potential causes. When the service suspension message comes on, it is typically the result of a contact pin in the connector having a poor connection. Below are items to look for as well as installation tips.

Pin Lock- Pin Lock is the white plastic rectangular frame that locks the female contact pin in place in the factory connector assembly. The Pin Lock is also a guide for the connector and the controller. When installing the controller, make sure the Pin Lock is seated flush onto the factory connector assembly. An unseated Pin Lock will cause misalignment of the contact pins (shown in Figure 1). (MAKE SURE TO VERIFY ORIENTATION OF PINS TO WIRING HARNESS CONNECTOR. It is possible to install the Pin Lock backwards to the controller!)
Drive Pins- Drives Pins are the four dowel pins that are molded to the controller. When installing the controller make sure that the Pin Lock of the connector assembly is perfectly aligned onto the Drive Pins (shown in figure 2 and 2.1)
Lever on the connector- The correct way for installing the controller is by using the lever to draw up/pull the Drive Pins inward onto the connector EVENLY. You will be able to see right away if the connector is not drawing in evenly this is imperative; the connector must be parallel and flat as shown in Figure 3. DO NOT use your hand to assist the controller onto the connector while using the lever because the assist can cause misalignment.
Completing the Install- After you are sure the pins of the controller pulled into the connector evenly and fully clicked the lever into final position, give a GENTLE push on the connector to the controller (as shown in the video below).
Misalignment of Contact Pins- Mis-aligned pins (pins are not the right height) after the DSC controller install (as shown in Figure 3), if this is the case, you can pull the mis-aligned pins outward back into position with a small needle nose plier. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this procedure we ask you immediately contact us so we can further assist you.

As shown in Figure 1 mis-aligned contact pins. This indefinitely can issues and service suspension warnings. Figure 2/2.1 show the drive pins and how the contact pins may all be straight, but the key is to check that the orientation to the wiring harness connector is correct and the height of the pins to be within reasonable tolerance. Figure 3 explains the process of drawing in the controller using the wiring harness connector lever (it must draw up perfectly even!!!). We have first hand seen that if any of these steps are overlooked it can cause contact issues.

Figure 1

Figure 2

Figure 2.1

Figure 3

We want to provide this link to a video on our YouTube channel of the DSC Controller install on a customer’s C7 Corvette to explain the install procedure to draw the controller into the wiring harness connector.
DSC Sport C7, Camaro, and Mustang Installation (Connector)

We have reviewed the entirety of the thread and wanted to assure this has only happened on a small percentage of controllers. The WD-40 will help only with contact issues and the lube reduces friction which makes the connector go on easier. The main focus is to be aware of the pins lining up correctly and the use of the wiring harness lever for proper installation.

We have stood by every controller and have worked hard with our customers on diagnosis, technical support, and exchanges of controllers because it is our due diligence.

If anyone has any further questions or concerns please feel free to email or call us during business hours at info@dscport.com (410)-799-7798, we are always glad to help!
The following 6 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
Dif (09-20-2017), Flyingscot (09-20-2017), Foosh (09-20-2017), LT1 Z51 (09-21-2017), ReedZ (09-20-2017), rikhek (09-21-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 PM
ReedZ
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for your solid support behind your (IMO outstanding) product!

CSM
The following users liked this post:
DSC Sport (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Flyingscot
Instructor

Thank you Mike, Jordan, and the rest of he crew at DSC. This is an amazing product and I can't imagine driving my '17 GS without it. I don't track it and am not even a terribly aggressive street driver, but I simply want it to be the best that it can be. And, after the latest firmware and the 8-31-17 file, it is an amazing driving experience. Tour is very compliant without the float and Sport and Tour are as they should be while still comfortable.
When I do get the "service suspension" the controller continues to work and the shocks never go soft as other have stated.
I will follow all your helpful tips, but I will not be without your controller.
The following users liked this post:
DSC Sport (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 01:29 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

I would never use anything to clean the pins outside of an alcohol wipe (as it evaporates off).

Electronics do not like debris, oil, grease, etc on the pins.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

I'm going to use wd40 contact cleaner, regular wd40 leaves a nasty oil behind
Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

"contact cleaner" can mean anything, as long as it's mostly alcohol it should be fine.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:57 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Yep it's just what I had

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Causing Service Suspension flash

Old 09-22-2017, 02:06 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Why not just use contact cleaner? (simply curious)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:04 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
The problem with a solvent is it makes the pins Dry and more prone to galling and/or Not sliding in easily.
Maybe WD-40 isn't the end all.
But the purpose is to Lubricant the pins so they slide in without any Resistance.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:51 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Avanti
What you want is pure isopropyl alcohol as it cleans and evaporates away.

Most contact cleaners contain two other chemicals (or one if they are not in aerosol form). Aerosol cans need a propellant and actually 50% of the can is said propellant. The second (and common to even non aerosol cans) is a isopropyl "substitute," basically a cheaper similar compound that may leave a residue. This is purely to save money.

Quick Reply: DSC Causing Service Suspension flash