Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Nav Map Update

Old 08-10-2017, 12:45 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Default 2018 Nav Map Update

Just chatted with Nav folks and found that the new version should be available later this month.... 2018 update.... BTW, the 2017 one shows "out of stock".... LK

Debby 9:39 AM
The estimated release date is August 24.
Lenny Koll 9:39 AM
Do you know the price..... Part Number!!??
Debby 9:41 AM
This information has not been announced yet.
Lenny Koll 9:42 AM
OK... thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by lennykoll:
Kracka (08-11-2017), Monkey D. Luffy (08-14-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 505 Likes on 292 Posts

How much for an update
Old 08-10-2017, 01:50 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by dashotgun
How much for an update
As noted in the post, they do not have a price yet.... figure $160-170....LK

http://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/prod...en_US/GMNA/USD
Old 08-10-2017, 02:01 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, $160 to update map every few yrs.
I'm debating whether to even buy/pay extra for built in Nav for my next C8.
Yes, it's nice to have Nav built into dash.

But I use this on all my rental cars for Nav:
Amazon Amazon

Pop Google map on my smartphone onto vent, & does basically the same mapping duties, including traffic jams (marked red on map)... All for free...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:11 PM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll
As noted in the post, they do not have a price yet.... figure $160-170....LK

http://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/prod...en_US/GMNA/USD
Price is outrageous for a map update to cost that much. My car did not have my neighborhood in it when I bought the car new. I told the dealership that my new car did not have my street address and asked for an update. I was told I had to purchase it are a car that was less than a week old.

Sad part is that Google Maps has the address updated years ago. So I use Android auto for nav. Only bought nav for the PDR. Just hate to have something and not use it.

In 2017 map updates should be free.

Originally Posted by NavyBlue2
Wow, $160 to update map every few yrs.
I'm debating whether to even buy/pay extra for built in Nav for my next C8.
Yes, it's nice to have Nav built into dash.

But I use this on all my rental cars for Nav:
https://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Unive...et+mount&psc=1

Pop Google map on my smartphone onto vent, & does basically the same mapping duties, including traffic jams (marked red on map)... All for free...
Get a rental with Android Auto. Most newer GM cars that are in rental fleets include it. Works great.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
Price is outrageous for a map update to cost that much. My car did not have my neighborhood in it when I bought the car new. I told the dealership that my new car did not have my street address and asked for an update. I was told I had to purchase it are a car that was less than a week old.

Sad part is that Google Maps has the address updated years ago. So I use Android auto for nav. Only bought nav for the PDR. Just hate to have something and not use it.

In 2017 map updates should be free.
Tell you what -- this is a free country. You go ahead and expend all the effort and resources to put a map update together and then you can give it away for free to anyone who wants it.

What's that you say? You want to get PAID for your work???? Outrageous! IT SHOULD BE FREE!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:29 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Tell you what -- this is a free country. You go ahead and expend all the effort and resources to put a map update together and then you can give it away for free to anyone who wants it.

What's that you say? You want to get PAID for your work???? Outrageous! IT SHOULD BE FREE!
I love the FREE Google Map Nav features that's included FREE with my $650 smartphone, but not FREE in my $75,000 car.

Now I'll pay a few $ for an app to link my phone's Google map onto my dash display...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

I love the FREE Google Map Nav features that's included FREE with my $650 smartphone, but not FREE in my $75,000 car.

Now I'll pay a few $ for an app to link my phone's Google map onto my dash display...
GM and Google are not the same business, nor do they have the same business model, products, etc. Just because Google can make a business off of selling your personal information doesn't mean EVERY business can stay afloat doing the same thing.

Might as well ask why Google cannot build you a sports car that is the equivalent of a Corvette.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:36 PM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Quick response..... Why so angry?

Price is based on market. Some things become a marginalized over time. A PC used to cost 5K for what you can pay $300 now.

Purchase a Garmin standalone GPS. Free map updates for life on a $100 purchase.

Google maps updates for free. Which ironically if you buy a C7 without NAV you get with the included Android Auto which uses Android Auto.

Many other car manufactures include free map updates now.

I wish I could make 100 billion dollars a year but the job market says I am worth less.

In 2017 map update market has them worth $0. GM just needs to get with the times.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
Quick response..... Why so angry?

Price is based on market. Some things become a marginalized over time. A PC used to cost 5K for what you can pay $300 now.

Purchase a Garmin standalone GPS. Free map updates for life on a $100 purchase.

Google maps updates for free. Which ironically if you buy a C7 without NAV you get with the included Android Auto which uses Android Auto.

Many other car manufactures include free map updates now.

I wish I could make 100 billion dollars a year but the job market says I am worth less.

In 2017 map update market has them worth $0. GM just needs to get with the times.
Sorry -- not angry at all. My response contained sarcasm.

And I think you'll find that a number of top tier car companies charge for map updates, and at similar rates to GM.

Some quick checking:
>>Lexus wants $169 for an updated SD card.
>>BMW wants between $40 and $199
>>Ford wants $149
>>Even Garmin wants $80 to download the map update on my dashtop GPS. (mine didn't come with 'free' lifetime updates)

Given that, $150 for the GM update doesn't seem terribly out of line, does it?

Last edited by Kent1999; 08-10-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:11 PM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

Sorry -- not angry at all. My response contained sarcasm.

And I think you'll find that a number of top tier car companies charge for map updates, and at similar rates to GM.

Some quick checking:
>>Lexus wants $169 for an updated SD card.
>>BMW wants between $40 and $199
>>Ford wants $149
>>Even Garmin wants $80 to download the map update on my dashtop GPS. (mine didn't come with 'free' lifetime updates)

Given that, $150 for the GM update doesn't seem terribly out of line, does it?
Once upon a time, IBM, Remington, Smith Corona, etc... were selling typewriter ribbons for $10 - $20.
Not terribly out line either...
Old 08-10-2017, 05:17 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Every time we talk about this the "outrage" over non-free updates gets posted. My simple solution for those folks so outraged is for them to not buy the updates. Your outrage is so noted. Thank you for your opinion.

For those who feel the alternatives of Smartphone apps and Android auto are klutzy, unrefined and a PIA, buying the updates is an option for you regardless whether others hate them or not. In my experience, updates usually don't do much for you. They brag about thousands or even tens of thousands of updates, but the chances they apply to you are pretty small. And they are frequently behind. You simply cannot rely on them to have the correct speed limit, for example, even if the speed on a given highway changed several years ago. IMO buying the update about every third year is sufficient to keep up reasonably well. That makes the yearly price much smaller. And after all, you are likely to swap out your Smartphones more often than that.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Once upon a time, IBM, Remington, Smith Corona, etc... were selling typewriter ribbons for $10 - $20.
Not terribly out line either...
Except this was a month ago. I suspect your typewriter ribbon references were a few decades old. I can bring up ads from the same era showing 10MB hard disks for $4000. Shocking to be sure, and good for a chuckle, but hardly relevant.

Do *some* companies give nav updates away today? Sure they do.
Will *all* nav updates someday be "free"? Perhaps.
But that day is not today.

So to say GM is an outlier on nav update prices is inaccurate, given the data showing what other top tier auto companies *currently* charge.

Last edited by Kent1999; 08-10-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I actually like the hud dash integration for arrows. Now I can't use it because of the outdated info. Got me lost one day.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
I actually like the hud dash integration for arrows. Now I can't use it because of the outdated info. Got me lost one day.
Talk about "arrows", I just wish the HUD still had the directional signal arrows....
The following users liked this post:
vettetwo (09-20-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
Talk about "arrows", I just wish the HUD still had the directional signal arrows....
You know? This is what i've always wanted too. I have to adjust my steering wheel around the turn signals because of the crappy placement. Don't understand why they couldn't have implemented them into the hud.

Last edited by EMINENT 1; 08-10-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:10 PM
RonBurgAM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Except this was a month ago. I suspect your typewriter ribbon references were a few decades old. I can bring up ads from the same era showing 10MB hard disks for $4000. Shocking to be sure, and good for a chuckle, but hardly relevant.

Do *some* companies give nav updates away today? Sure they do.
Will *all* nav updates someday be "free"? Perhaps.
But that day is not today.

So to say GM is an outlier on nav update prices is inaccurate, given the data showing what other top tier auto companies *currently* charge.
The price that GM charges for the nav update is in line with the market. It doesn't mean that it is a good deal.

OEM nav units are the worst value for the money as a rule. The maps are mostly out of date as soon as they are downloaded. But if you do have and use it, stick with the old map and save the cost of the upgrade.

A GPS from Costco contains lifetime map updates for a fraction of the cost of OEM Nav.

Just about everyone under 50 uses Google or (dare I say) Apple Maps for navigation. If you have a 2016 with Carplay or AA this is by far the best option. Get an Android phone and use Maps or Waze. Continuously updated maps and real-time traffic. Maps will save you time and Waze will save you from tickets. Free with your search data.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 Nav Map Update

Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
You know? This is what i've always wanted too. I have to adjust my steering wheel around the turn signals because of the crappy placement. Don't understand why they couldn't have implemented them into the hud.
My old C6 had them. Somebody said they were eliminated for all GM cars starting in 2014. Something to do with "safety"?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Wow... didn't mean to cause such a stir.... I was just posting info some might find useful... they actually have a date posted now on their online site...

PRODUCT INFORMATION
***A new update will be available beginning August 24th. Please return to this site to purchase at that time.***

http://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/en_US/GMNA/USD

LK
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 AM
NavyBlue2
Burning Brakes

It's $160 + $4 for standard shipping.
They send u a USB.
Instructions says car must be running with engine on (not just accessory mode) for at least 50 minutes.
It takes 50 minutes to install !!! with the engine running !!!

Does this sounds like 2017 technology?

I can download a 4K movie in a minute or two & This reminds me I'm back in 14k modem days...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Nav Map Update