Driver Mode switch - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Mode switch

Old 08-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #21
madrob2020
CF Senior Member

I apologize, I know this has been asked/answered but since you're all here. Why does the stability control & traction control lites come "ON" in Dry & Sport 1. I see the chart shows Dry-then Dry/Comp & Sport 1 shows Sport/Comp. Is the lite on to tell you the TC & SC are "less" in these modes but partially on? Doesn't lites "ON" mean the TC & SC are "OFF". Hope I'm making sense.
madrob2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #22
Woodson
CF Senior Member

I don't think anyone knows.
Woodson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #23
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,734 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrob2020 View Post
I apologize, I know this has been asked/answered but since you're all here. Why does the stability control & traction control lites come "ON" in Dry & Sport 1. I see the chart shows Dry-then Dry/Comp & Sport 1 shows Sport/Comp. Is the lite on to tell you the TC & SC are "less" in these modes but partially on? Doesn't lites "ON" mean the TC & SC are "OFF". Hope I'm making sense.
Yes, your thought process (in bold above) is on the right track.

In my '14, the TC and DSC warning lights are on in all PTM modes from Wet to Race, even though they are still fully on in Wet. The logical reason is to warn the driver that each turn of the dial to the right degrades the level of intervention. Once in PTM/Sport 2 and PTM/Race, stability control (DSC) is completely off. I'm pretty sure GM corporate attorneys were involved.

In short, it's a good idea to have the TC and DSC warning lights on in PTM to remind the driver what menu he/she is in, and that PTM is not the same as the main menu. It also helps to shield GM from liability if a driver, who is both skill- and common sense-challenged, gets stupid with the console dial and right foot. Making it a double button press to get into PTM mode also helps to ensure (in a judicial proceeding if necessary) that it was intentional on the part of the driver to put the car in that menu.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-13-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foosh For This Useful Post:
madrob2020 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #24
UsernameProtected
CF Senior Member

That may satisfy juries, but it's cumbersome enough that I never use it.

Start car.
Select rev-match on.
Fiddle with the control **** to put it in Truck mode, because the car won't default to where I had it last set.
Double press the button.
Fiddle with the control **** some more, because it defaults to PTM Wet.
Release the parking brake.

Five additional steps required, just to back it out of the garage.

Now you get to go through this same drill after every time you stop at the post office, hardware store, grocery store, bank, etc.

I understand the reason for it, and I fly airplanes for fun and money so I'm used to having to work through flows and checklists to get things done. I guess I just would prefer my time away from work to be less like work.
UsernameProtected is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UsernameProtected For This Useful Post:
woodsguy (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #25
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Understood.

Since the driver control functions can be done on the fly while driving, I don't see it as any more of a bother than changing radio stations, music sources, or HVAC setting, etc. What I usually do is match the setting to road and environmental conditions. On my one-way, 30 mile daily commute (twisty country roads, freeway, city, smooth vs. crumbled roads), I usually change the mode control setting while moving 4-6 times. I do it without ever taking my eyes off the road.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-13-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #26
UsernameProtected
CF Senior Member

When I've tried that, it seems to "hunt" for a mode. Doesn't change, so I turn it again, and it jumps all the way to the last option.

I'll admit, I haven't made the effort to become proficient with PTM changes while in motion. Maybe I'll start working on that.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #27
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Once you get the hang of it, it's a no-look, repeatable every time process. It's a quick, full twist left or right. If you linger too long, it might skip over two settings. If you only partially twist, it may not change.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-13-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
JerryU
2017 GS, M7,Loc. SC
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,008 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameProtected View Post
That may satisfy juries, but it's cumbersome enough that I never use it.

Start car.
Select rev-match on.
Fiddle with the control **** to put it in Truck mode, because the car won't default to where I had it last set.
Double press the button.
Fiddle with the control **** some more, because it defaults to PTM Wet.
Release the parking brake.

Five additional steps required, just to back it out of the garage.

Now you get to go through this same drill after every time you stop at the post office, hardware store, grocery store, bank, etc.

I understand the reason for it, and I fly airplanes for fun and money so I'm used to having to work through flows and checklists to get things done. I guess I just would prefer my time away from work to be less like work.
Funny I felt the software "patch" GM finally provided for starting my early 2014 C7, M7 was bad enough. It required a wasted push of the Start button just to move the seat. Was hoping when it was announced it would be just like my C6, one quick press of my desired memory button and the seat moved.

Nope, required a wasted movement of my right hand and had to push it again with the clutch depressed. Fred Taylor "would not approve" of that wasted motion! I never did have that software installed since in the year I waited, developed a two handed, multitask approach! While my right had reached for the seat belt and was buckling, simultaneously I pressed my number 1 seat memory button with a finger on my left hand. It's my DD so quick starting is essential.

Now my Grand Sport came with the "push the start button twice" option. So now reach for the seat belt with my right hand since it's easy to reach with the seat back without using the "only for short folk" belt holder. Then I hit the Start button to move the seat so I can reach the clutch without pulling a leg muscle. Then I depress the clutch and press the Start button one more time. I'm using the two push method, but am aging so the slower start is not as annoying! Will be 75 next month, but sill going on 19!

For a DD even that is a bit of a PIA but what you describe is more like a space shuttle launch! Don't need to do that when getting a loaf of bread!

MORE ISSUES
and solutions!
My C7 Z51 did not have mag shocks nor did my C6 Z51. Ride was fine for the roads in Eastern SC I drove in Sport 95% of the time. As GM notes the ride stiffness is between mag shocks set at Touring and Sport (obviously in all driving modes.)

But now mostly use Touring so have the steering set for Sport and the NPP set for Track regardless of the driving Mode. However no such option for throttle control, Touring uses the slower OEM setting. Was used to the faster Sport rate for 3 1/2 years so added a Vitnesse Throttle Control. It's adjustable from a setting of 0 = to OEM up to 9, very aggressive! I find setting at Sport 5 is somewhat more aggressive the the Sport/Track OEM setting and fits my driving style.

The Vitnesse 9 setting, a few say they use, is very aggressive and reminds my of my first car, a '41 coupe that I stuffed in an Olds engine. Had to extend the throttle pedal arm ~5 inches to clear the higher block. That changed the linkage ratio. With ~1.5 inches of pedal travel it was floored! Great for stoplight drags but not for every day driving!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-13-2017 at 11:40 AM.
JerryU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #29
Foosh
CF Senior Member

What's your primary objective, enjoying the capabilities of a world class sports car or scoring a loaf of bread?

Last edited by Foosh; 08-13-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #30
JerryU
2017 GS, M7,Loc. SC
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Both, but from what I read when you use PMT "Wet Track" the throttle response is reduced. For my favorite fast turns a simple switch to Track is good enough for me.

If you enjoy it fine but happy with my current set-up!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-13-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #31
JerryU
2017 GS, M7,Loc. SC
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
What's your primary objective, enjoying the capabilities of a world class sports car or scoring a loaf of bread?
Don't get me wrong, enjoy your and others discussions about PMT Wet Drive mode. Have a favorite moderate speed turn I take every day. Some days faster than others! It's safe with a grass field on the right, single lane no traffic and will have to give PMT Wet Drive a try!

It's around a fountain at the end of my street. Already proved the worth of the fatter Grand Sport tires! Made it faster than with my C7 Z51 where I could hit over 1 "g." With the Grand Sport the rear end stepped out a bit! Was surprised at how well it recovered with little effort.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-13-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #32
UsernameProtected
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
But what if this is the road to the grocery store?

Last edited by UsernameProtected; 08-13-2017 at 02:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsernameProtected For This Useful Post:
Foosh (08-13-2017), JerryU (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #33
woodsguy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
When I've tried that, it seems to "hunt" for a mode. Doesn't change, so I turn it again, and it jumps all the way to the last option.

I'll admit, I haven't made the effort to become proficient with PTM changes while in motion. Maybe I'll start working on that.
I tried the track modes today, was in a hurry but I didn't get it set where I wanted. Have to try when I have more time. And I'm old, lol. So might not be doing it right.
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #34
madrob2020
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
I tried the track modes today, was in a hurry but I didn't get it set where I wanted. Have to try when I have more time. And I'm old, lol. So might not be doing it right.
Careful, you could end up with ALL nannies off & be in the ditch, or worse, right now! Seriously
madrob2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #35
JerryU
2017 GS, M7,Loc. SC
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrob2020 View Post
Careful, you could end up with ALL nannies off & be in the ditch, or worse, right now! Seriously
Hard to describe to someone who has not experienced a car with the power of the C7 when one tire looses traction without nannies to interact to avoid a disaster.

My ProStreet Rod with it's 8.2 Liter BB and 16.5 inch wide sticky rear tires has only positraction, no electronics to get you out of trouble. On a 0 to 60 blast if one tire looses traction because of the road etc, and the other is hooded up, you have about 1/2 second to lift or your in a ditch!

There are a number of video's showing folks, especially with a Z06 shutting off the nannies and the car making an instant 90 degree turn! Always reminded of that when I watch and NHRA event on TV and a ProStock driver makes an instant turn into one of the concrete barriers. And they are pros!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-13-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #36
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Quote:
But what if this is the road to the grocery store?

If that's your road to the grocery store, then you should most certainly be enjoying all the performance features of the car on the way to picking up a loaf of bread. It looks an awful lot like my road to the grocery store, as I also live in a very rural area more than 7 miles from any major artery.

He said he couldn't be bothered by such things as using PTM when picking up a loaf of bread, but I see he later added a dissertation after I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryU View Post
^^^
Both, but from what I read when you use PMT "Wet Track" the throttle response is reduced. For my favorite fast turns a simple switch to Track is good enough for me.

If you enjoy it fine but happy with my current set-up!
LOL, your throttle is only retarded when you've lost traction. This whole throttle response thing is really rather silly. It doesn't make you any faster. You still have full throttle by pushing your foot further. PTM/Wet and Dry only retards throttle when in danger of being in a ditch or tree.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-13-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #37
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

To the guy who drives in Track (standard not PTM mode) all the time, your roads must be smooth.

I'm usually in Tour (Steering locked in Sport) and I decided last week to drive to work in Track. By the time I got to work I was tired, the car was "bouncing" all over the place as it hugged every dip, curve, and drop in the road. Great if I was actually on a track, but on these roads, no way.
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #38
Woodson
CF Senior Member

Did you read any of the posts in this thread?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #39
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
Did you read any of the posts in this thread?
Yes, and which is why I wrote Track (standard not PTM) and not PTM Dry or PTM Wet.

Sometimes you jump to conclusions way to quickly.
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #40
Woodson
CF Senior Member

Yeah, sometimes. But why didn't you switch to PTM wet or dry? Why bounce and get tired?
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Driver Mode switch
  •