Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Kraz8s
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Great choice! I threw some Inovos on my old 2012 GS and couldn't have been happier.

I daily drove the thing for about 3 years, 2 1/2 with the Invos.

Living in North FL they saw temp ranges from about 20 to 100+ with no problems. Heck they even saw some snow in ATL once. Multiple trips to SGMP too. Great wet weather tires to boot. Just know their limits based on the weather and you'll be fine.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:47 AM
Ed'sC7
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44

Especially the rears with the 345's on the stock wheels
Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Been using non-runflats for over 15 years and probably 100K+ miles. Never had a flat. Over 12K miles on my C7 with Conti nonrunflats. Very pleased.
Better knock on wood. I find that flats come in cycles- I must have gone 15+ years without a flat, the whammo got 3 flats in one year.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM
NYVette2112
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

So is Michelin coming out with a new tire that fits the GS ?
I thought I saw that they are coming out with an all season. I personally would want a run flat summer performance tire.
I really want to replace the original tires. They just pick up way too many pebbles.
I had one bounce off the side mirror and come in the car. Was going real slow.
Also getting some chips in front of the rear wheel well.
I am pretty sure the way I drive. (Little aggressive at sometimes) I don't get the benefit of all the grip.
Is there a used market for the original Michelin's with 3k miles?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NYVette2112
I can speak for the Z-51 sizes in that I put Michelin A/S 3+ ZPs on and sold the factory tires (7K miles, ~80% tread) and recovered about half the original cost.... I possibly could have sold them for more but wanted it to be a win-win situation.... and it was.....

I live at 5,500 ft. with cold/some snow and did not want the hassle of the factory tires or swapping wheels/tires......LK

Last edited by lennykoll; 08-15-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

I thought I saw that they are coming out with an all season.----
Don't hold you breath. Michelin first said they would have all season tires for the Z51 before the winter or 2013, then 2014 and never happened in those years.

They have been saying the same for the Z06 (same as the Grand Sport) for a couple of winters. Don't plan on selling your tires yet!

FWIW. I installed ACS front Splash Guards on my Grand Sport and purposely purchased the Stage 2 aero package to get full length side skirts. So far no issues. I drive over and area near my home where a gravel road intersects our paved road. Pulls in a lot of pebbles. I drive at ~15/20 mph over that area and hear the pebbles hitting the bottom of my carbon fiber side skirts. See minor "stuff" stuck to the tire side of the ACS Splash Guards but so far no marks on the car. Not even on the heavy GM plastic near the rear brake duct opening.

My experience with my September 2013 built 2014 Z51, was the GM protective plastic was getting marks even with GM front splash guards (narrower than the ACS splash guards.) Installed LG Motorsports full length carbon fiber side skirts and all marking stopped. After a few months removed the marked, dicolored GM protective plastic. Recently sold the car and the rocker panels looked new after ~3 years.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-15-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
I've never had a flat tire on any vehicle in my 34 years of driving.
Wish I could say that.. I have had very few, but sometimes unavoidable.
It hurts just to look at it.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by gtracer
IMO, they are summer rated tires but my not be quite as affected by cold as the Michelin
Care to share the cost? I hate the harsh ride of the RFlats. Will be looking into non RF when I replace. Are the 345 wider than the stock 335 on the rear. Thanks
Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Wish I could say that.. I have had very few, but sometimes unavoidable.
It hurts just to look at it.

OUCH... even got the wheel!!! Hope you had road hazard warranty....smile....LK
Old 08-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by gtracer
You have to decide what you want your car to be. If your tracking the car the majority of the time OEM Michelins work, however, if your using your car as a GT (touring) got to get rid of the run flats for comfort sake. Fortunately it's your choice

If you are actually touring in the car, you may be far from help when a flat happens.

We got a rear flat overnight at a B&B in the boonies, near the Tail of the Dragon. Sidewall cut, so my compressor or sealant or a plug kit wouldn't help. Road was too narrow and twisty to get a flatbed in, and there was no local taxi service. Nearest store with a replacement was about 30 miles away via the Dragon. So we called ahead for an appointment, and Drove the Dragon on the flat runflat. I put a "Flat Tire" sign on the back of the car and took it easy, but I was surprised how well the car handled with moderate cornering.

Here's a pic of the flat, with about 100 lbs of luggage in the trunk and my wife still in the passenger seat.

We sometimes go to areas where there is no cellphone coverage and little traffic. We use runflats.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-15-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:06 AM
NYVette2112
Instructor

For me there are too many horrible places to have to pull over and deal with a flat.
Tappan Zee Bridge, some parkways with no shoulders.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:08 AM
NYVette2112
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
Don't hold you breath. Michelin first said they would have all season tires for the Z51 before the winter or 2013, then 2014 and never happened in those years.

They have been saying the same for the Z06 (same as the Grand Sport) for a couple of winters. Don't plan on selling your tires yet!

FWIW. I installed ACS front Splash Guards on my Grand Sport and purposely purchased the Stage 2 aero package to get full length side skirts. So far no issues. I drive over and area near my home where a gravel road intersects our paved road. Pulls in a lot of pebbles. I drive at ~15/20 mph over that area and hear the pebbles hitting the bottom of my carbon fiber side skirts. See minor "stuff" stuck to the tire side of the ACS Splash Guards but so far no marks on the car. Not even on the heavy GM plastic near the rear brake duct opening.

My experience with my September 2013 built 2014 Z51, was the GM protective plastic was getting marks even with GM front splash guards (narrower than the ACS splash guards.) Installed LG Motorsports full length carbon fiber side skirts and all marking stopped. After a few months removed the marked, dicolored GM protective plastic. Recently sold the car and the rocker panels looked new after ~3 years.

Thank you,
That is my next step to look into the splash guards. Was hoping I missed something and the Michelin's were out already.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 AM
NYVette2112
Instructor

Originally Posted by lennykoll
I can speak for the Z-51 sizes in that I put Michelin A/S 3+ ZPs on and sold the factory tires (7K miles, ~80% tread) and recovered about half the original cost.... I possibly could have sold them for more but wanted it to be a win-win situation.... and it was.....

I live at 5,500 ft. with cold/some snow and did not want the hassle of the factory tires or swapping wheels/tires......LK
Thanks
When I sell something used. I price real well for the same reason.
But looks like I will be using the original Michelin's for a while.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 AM
gtracer
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I saw that they are coming out with an all season. I personally would want a run flat summer performance tire.
I really want to replace the original tires. They just pick up way too many pebbles.
I had one bounce off the side mirror and come in the car. Was going real slow.
Also getting some chips in front of the rear wheel well.
I am pretty sure the way I drive. (Little aggressive at sometimes) I don't get the benefit of all the grip.
I spoke with Michelin, they have no plans to produce a/s tires for the grand sport/z06 at this time
Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM
gtracer
Cruising

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Care to share the cost? I hate the harsh ride of the RFlats. Will be looking into non RF when I replace. Are the 345 wider than the stock 335 on the rear. Thanks
the size difference is too close to be an issue
Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 AM
gtracer
Cruising

Originally Posted by m3incorp
↑ Why the downer? That same thing can be said about any non-runflat tire. It's been discussed/debated many times on here with many preferring run flats and others preferring not to run them. As with anything, there's always pros and cons to be considered by the person who is "paying" for them.
it's all dependent upon what you want your car to be. The great thing is it's your choice
azmusclecar (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 11:21 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
Great until you get a puncture.
Stop pretending there are no benefits to non runflats. You're not fooling anyone. For many the benefits far outweigh the small risk of getting a flat, and you know it.
azmusclecar (08-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport tires

Old 08-15-2017, 12:02 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Stop pretending there are no benefits to non runflats. You're not fooling anyone. For many the benefits far outweigh the small risk of getting a flat, and you know it.
Hey, don't lecture me about it, I lived it. I had 2 punctures on 2 separate occasions the first summer I owned my '14. Perhaps I should have taken pictures of them to post and attach the story about it all to validate my earlier statement so I wouldn't get singled out.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:08 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Folks.... Folks.... buy the tires you want and let others do the same.... there is no one truth regarding tires after all.....LK
azmusclecar (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 01:19 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_xForz71
Hey, don't lecture me about it, I lived it. I had 2 punctures on 2 separate occasions the first summer I owned my '14. Perhaps I should have taken pictures of them to post and attach the story about it all to validate my earlier statement so I wouldn't get singled out.
You are a rare case.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport tires