Mud Flaps - Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:45 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Jen,

They're not really mud-flaps.

The GM splash guards are exactly the same as the OEM fender-liners, which are flush w/ the fender panel, but the GM splash guards have this little extension beyond the front and back fender lips. They do help, and do not detract from the lines of the car. I have a very long gravel driveway, and it's not a low-speed problem there. It's the inevitable gravel, that finds it's way to paved highways, which does the damage to the rockers and leading edge of the rear fender panels at highway speeds.

They are not nearly as obvious as the front spats on the GS and Z06.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-20-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

These look OEM to me, so I went with Torch Red . . .

Old 08-20-2017, 11:35 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JonMN
These look OEM to me, so I went with Torch Red . . .
Same with me. Friends cautioned me the body color would stand out too much. Disagreed. They blend in quite nicely. I also have Torch Red.

The following users liked this post:
JonMN (08-22-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Bruce0293
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snomuncher
Here are photos of the CRE flaps installed on a C7. They extend out far enough to align with the outer edge of the tires and are wide enough under the car to cover most of their width, most importantly under the painted rocker panels in the front.
How did you install the front mud flaps? Did you remove the factory mud flap/liner and utilize those mounting locations, etc.

thanks
Bruce
Old 12-21-2017, 03:39 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,030 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Throw a set of these on and call it a day.

The following 2 users liked this post by ExRedRacer:
juanvaldez (12-21-2017), red62vette (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 04:28 PM
ralston
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce0293
How did you install the front mud flaps? Did you remove the factory mud flap/liner and utilize those mounting locations, etc.

thanks
Bruce
It was very easy. I replaced with OEM on my GS. Here's the video that I watched prior to doing the install. The only thing I did different is that I put some auto painters tape around the area to make sure I didn't scratch my paint if it slipped.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:32 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,944 Likes on 4,819 Posts

I have the GM guards on my 15 narrow body Convertible and they do seem to help.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:16 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Mud Flaps

Originally Posted by Bruce0293

thanks
Bruce
On both front and rear I removed the factory pieces and used them to template the holes in the aftermarket flaps once I finalized the installed position on the car. But before removing them I traced their outline onto the aftermarket flaps. To finalize the installed position on the car I used blue masking tape to temporarily hold them in place and also used pieces of wood to support the lower edges and ensure they were parallel to the ground.

I also trimmed the top edges of the new flaps to be slightly shorter and radiused. So the fronts are retained by screws and one push pin retainer and the rears by three screws. From the stone and dirt impressions left on the flaps by stuff thrown up by the tires, these flaps are absorbing impact across their full width and I see no evidence of rash anywhere on the car behind the flaps.
The following users liked this post:
Bruce0293 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,324 Likes on 3,526 Posts

The little OEM "flaps," yes. Other, bigger ones... NO!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:13 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Throw a set of these on and call it a day.

This has to be one of the best products of all time.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:35 PM
druggist55
Cruising

Received 52 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM guards on my 16 Z51. Very easy to install and look like they came from the factory. No opinion yet on protection as car just turned 1000 miles before it’s winter nap.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 567 Likes on 368 Posts

The panels behind the wheels on my C5 were sandblasted clean of paint with normal daily driving. I had them repainted and covered with clear bra.

The first things I did with my GS was to have it covered in XPEL and added ACS splash guards. So far, so good. The ACS splash guards are longer than the GM ones so protect the front end of the side skirts better.

Last edited by Grand Slam; 12-22-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

I put rock guards on my Z07 right after I bought it. Found this thread on here touting a $13 product that you can buy at your local O'Reilly auto parts. Product is Road Sport Premier Series Mudflap, part number 4322. You will want to cut them down to fit and drill holes to mount. Simply pull the three screws out of the OE wheel liner that sits just behind the front wheel and reuse them to mount the mud flap. Thread has all the mounting instructions. There's also a number of pics showing the coverage area provided. If you're concerned these won't look good on the car, don't be. If I didn't point them out you would think they were OE. Certainly can't beat the price or availability.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...that-work.html

You can check out a pic from my car looking inside the wheel well with the mud flaps installed in this thread (post #20).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sh-guards.html

Mike
Old 12-22-2017, 06:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,742 Likes on 6,712 Posts

Originally Posted by WMark
I added the GM guards, and as Rebel Yell says, better than nothing, but not enough. I replaced the tiny factory shield in front of the rear wheels with a full section of Xpel, but they still get beat to crap.

Side skirts seem to be the best solution. Don't have 'em, but going to add.

May depend on the environment but realizing the GM plastic that came with my Z51 is not as good as some other plastic protection products, I was surprised how quickly it marked and looked bad.

Background: Recall the issues I had in the rear panels with my '88 and '93 Vettes so before my C6 was delivered purchased molded, contoured splash guards painted the car color. Worked great. Are not available for the C7 nor would they look as good, IMO.

C7 Z51: Put GM splash guards on as soon as I got my C7. Rears worked fine as those fenders tuck back in. However although the front GM plastic protected the rocker panels and up to the rear wheel well where it is installed, it marked quickly and looked bad. I do travel over pebbles in several areas every day.

I installed full length LG Motorsports side skirts (that won and early award at SEMA) and the marking stopped. After some months, when I was sure they were working, I removed the GM plastic that was now not only marked but discolored at the edges.

Near my home I travel over gravel that is pulled onto our paved road from a side gravel road. I hear the pebbles hit the bottom of the side skirts but none get past. Drove the car that way for 3 years, most without plastic protection and when I sold it the rocker panels looked new!

Grand Sport: For the Grand Sport ordered the Stage 2 option aero package to get full length side skirts. Also added ASC Splash Guards in the front (as recommended highly by forum members) and GM splash guards in the rear. So far not even a mark on the lower brake air ducts where others have said those openings get nicked. That is the only area on the Grand Sport with a small amount of GM plastic. As soon as those edges look discolored it's coming off!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-22-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps - Yes/No?