Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who keeps their OnStar and Sirius XM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:53 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

When I picked up my new GS in May, I told the dealer "DO NOT ACTIVATE THE ONSTAR". He said, "It's free for the first three months, why not?" I said, "I'm not going to renew it, so don't activate it".

"Hey, just leave me alone!!"
Old 08-23-2017, 05:33 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
I've been a SiriusXM subscriber for over ten years on numerous vehicles and have never had a problem cancelling. I continually cancel all cars on the same day and then re-up all of them at the introductory price for 5 or 6 months. Never billed late, or improperly. Must be me.
If you're talking to someone at SirriusXM it seems to me to be a complete crap shoot. You can get someone who is a complete pleasure to deal with, or someone who's got a script she is going to follow no matter what to get you to renew at their hugely inflated "regular" price. Most or all of their reps seem to be somewhere overseas, probably India from the accents, and call quality can be awful.

Most recently they had an expired credit card for my wife's subscription, and their "collections" person called out of the blue, hugely disrespectful and with a chip on her shoulder as if we were trying to defraud Sirrius. Her supervisor was no better and both insisted we had to renew three cars at full price before they would let us cancel or negotiate a decent renewal price.

Between accents, high pitched voices as they got upset and bad call quality neither could be understood half the time. (And I have taught English as a second language and normally have no trouble with accents.) We finally got to a regular rep, a guy who was great.

Oh, the letter politely asking my wife to update her card information came the next day: they could have skipped the annoying call.

I tend to agree that SirriusXM is obsolescent technology, and they certainly will have to treat their customers better if they expect to survive.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 AM
SFCTeach
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
If you're talking to someone at SirriusXM it seems to me to be a complete crap shoot. You can get someone who is a complete pleasure to deal with, or someone who's got a script she is going to follow no matter what to get you to renew at their hugely inflated "regular" price. Most or all of their reps seem to be somewhere overseas, probably India from the accents, and call quality can be awful.

Most recently they had an expired credit card for my wife's subscription, and their "collections" person called out of the blue, hugely disrespectful and with a chip on her shoulder as if we were trying to defraud Sirrius. Her supervisor was no better and both insisted we had to renew three cars at full price before they would let us cancel or negotiate a decent renewal price.

Between accents, high pitched voices as they got upset and bad call quality neither could be understood half the time. (And I have taught English as a second language and normally have no trouble with accents.) We finally got to a regular rep, a guy who was great.

Oh, the letter politely asking my wife to update her card information came the next day: they could have skipped the annoying call.

I tend to agree that SirriusXM is obsolescent technology, and they certainly will have to treat their customers better if they expect to survive.

I don't know about most of you guys but my Sirius reception is pretty spotty here in NY. It is always fading out. I still have dead spots for cell service so I bounced back and forth between Amazon and Sirius.

If you call Sirius and tell them you're going to cancel, you will have some nice discounted options. Push them, even more, see what you get. I made them put my account on Invoice billing, instead of auto renewal with credit card. I usually get two more months before reaching deactivation. If you tell them that you do not want to pay the existing balance for the new deal they offer you, they will waive it. You're welcome.

Last edited by SFCTeach; 08-23-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:11 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

OnStar - cancelled.

SiriusXM - yes, invoice only. Pay $30 every six months...then cancel (by phone)...then two people later and several offers...I accept their six months for $30 and tell them - send me an invoice...no credit card on file.

And, regarding those annoying lights on the rear view mirror...I punched out circles from felt with adhesive backing and placed them over the lights...now, it shows a nice crescent, barely visible light.
The following users liked this post:
rmorin1249 (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:31 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kruegmeister

...Sirius are heading towards being the next Blockbuster or Music Store (CDs)
Not even remotely true...they continue to increase subscriber count year after year...they are going nowhere

Last edited by HoustonMidtown; 08-23-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Mine is gone 100% when the 3 free months are up !
Gotta agree with Dave on this. I cannot stand all the talking heads they now have. Worse than regular radio imho
Old 08-23-2017, 07:50 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
Not even remotely true...they continue to increase subscriber count year after year...they are going nowhere
Based on new vehicle sales numbers only. Have you ever notice they refuse to release paid renewal subscription numbers ?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by PT109
My 3 month subscription runs out in Sept. Can't see why I should keep it. Who has renewed, and reasons why would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have had several new GM vehicles in the past that came with a temporary subscription to On Star when new. I saw no reason to keep it.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
One note on SiruisXM. They just added a Beatles channel O.M.G. Favorite band.

And then. I had no idea they made so many bad songs. They only play the crappy Beatles songs. And the post Beatles crappy stuff. And crappy cover stuff. So sad. That channel alone would have kept me a subscriber at full price but jeesh, what a fail.
They cannot have a playlist of 15 songs. My only objection to the Beatles station is when they play songs that influenced the Beatles in their early years-don't want to hear Chuck Berry songs on the Beatle station.

I get Sirius on my C7 for $99 a yr plus tax. When it is time to renew, I negotiate the same deal for the upcoming yr. Worth it in my opinion, and I have Spotify. Gotta have my music when I drive.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Dropped both at the end of their free subscriptions.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 AM
patb23
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll keep sirius but will more than likely cancel onstar once the free period ends.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:17 AM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I don't see any reason to stop it.

I like the music.

I like the phone link to my iPhone.
I like being able to unlock the car in an emergency.

If you don't like it Sirius/OnStar cancel.

Elmer
I also like the way I can look up a location on my phone and send it to the car's navigation.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:21 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by PT109
My 3 month subscription runs out in Sept. Can't see why I should keep it. Who has renewed, and reasons why would be appreciated. Thanks.
Never activated that onstar crap, and like usual xm radio works real bad up here in the mountain where I live, not worth it. After 3 months its done! This is four vechicles I have had with XM, it sucks up here!

Under no circumstances give your credit card info to these companies.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I played the game of cancelling and renewing at a special rate for 5 months at a time, and finally decided I liked it enough to subscribe for a year, but at half price ($99)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:59 AM
rodney123456
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been a SiriusXM subscriber for over ten years on numerous vehicles and have never had a problem cancelling. I continually cancel all cars on the same day and then re-up all of them at the introductory price for 5 or 6 months. Never billed late, or improperly. Must be me.
yes that is what i do keep getting intro prices right now at 6 dollars a month for 6 months
Old 08-23-2017, 10:06 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Onstar,Yes.
Sirius,No

\db2
Old 08-23-2017, 10:12 AM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 262 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I wasn't going to keep Onstar but they do have a free 3 year basic subscription that allows you you to use your Chevy MyLink app to remotely lock, unlock, and start your your car so I signed up for that. I won't pay for it. Sirius radio, no. I'm a local sports radio guy so I don't need it.

Get notified of new replies

To Who keeps their OnStar and Sirius XM?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:16 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Nevr used the onstar during trial period. I wish I had told them not to ever activate. They had some wifi thing that would connect 6 devices. Totally unnecessary feature in a Corvette, maybe in a minivan with kids but not a vette. I have been a Sirius subscriber for a long long time and I mainly use it in my home. When the trial ended, I simply send it to the car via Bluetooth or USB from the Sirius App. I will say that when Howard retires, I'm not sure I'll keep it.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:29 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I do exactly the same thing. I keep it from April thru September and then cancel for the winter months and then start it back up again in the spring. If it goes up to more than $30, I'll cancel it altogether because I find myself using it less and less.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:41 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Personally, I am keeping the simplest on-star option. I keep XM basically for two channels--26 (Classic Vinyl) and 27 (Deep Tracks). Wish I could rent them ala carte!

Quick Reply: Who keeps their OnStar and Sirius XM?