Sponsored by:

Fluid venting on track days.. 2015 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 02:07 PM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fluid venting on track days.. 2015 Z51

After several trips to the dealer, the cause of green fluid puddling under my vehicle after coming home from track events has been found.

Manual transmission fluid is venting out of the transmission. It's not an insignificant amount. Also, after my latest track day, there was brake fluid coming out of the brake fluid reservoir cap, and also puddling on the garage floor.

Last year the differential failed when on the track and was replaced.

I use high wet point Motul, and Mobil 1 15-50. I have the brake and differential and clutch fluid replaced at least once a season.

The dealer says the venting is normal when the car is pushed car and it's operating like it's supposed to.

Doesn't seem normal to me. The Z-51 with the additional cooling ducts IMO shouldn't be doing this.

Any similar experiences?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:42 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by bikevette
After several trips to the dealer, the cause of green fluid puddling under my vehicle after coming home from track events has been found.

Manual transmission fluid is venting out of the transmission. It's not an insignificant amount. Also, after my latest track day, there was brake fluid coming out of the brake fluid reservoir cap, and also puddling on the garage floor.

Last year the differential failed when on the track and was replaced.

I use high wet point Motul, and Mobil 1 15-50. I have the brake and differential and clutch fluid replaced at least once a season.

The dealer says the venting is normal when the car is pushed car and it's operating like it's supposed to.

Doesn't seem normal to me. The Z-51 with the additional cooling ducts IMO shouldn't be doing this.

Any similar experiences?
many (track rat) it's overfilled master cylinder & trans
Old 08-24-2017, 06:14 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 873 Likes on 436 Posts

I believe there is a vent, and when pushed hard, the fluid cavitates..
Normal....
Old 08-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same issue on track. Dealer said it was normal venting and dropped the level a little. Problem has not returned.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:14 PM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Update. Car finally towed to the specialty corvette shop that installed the catch can. (After the eBay transmission arriving in a busted open garbage plywood and cardboard box. GGRRR with the input shaft sticking out of the cardboard.)
Shop says they will have the tranny torn down and inspected to determine the failure to see if it was their fault. Don't have my hopes up. The coincidence of having a two inch hole blow out of the bottom of the transmission after an 80 mile drive to the track then on the first track session after them wrenching on it, it is frustratingly coincidental. If they don't cover it I'll be out probably $10K plus for the tranny and body work cost.
WILL NOT be installing the catch can on my new (used) tranny.
Updates to come.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:57 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,251 Likes on 3,480 Posts

An "Advanced search" across the C7 Forums will disclose others who have the same experience to differing degrees. Despite GM's marketing hype these things are but pseudo-race(track) cars, at best. Just sayin'...

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid venting on track days.. 2015 Z51

Quick Reply: Fluid venting on track days.. 2015 Z51