Vararam C7 True Cold Air!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:29 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by OVERULD
I had a RotoFab CAI on the LS3 engine in my 2009 G8 GXP. It had an incredibly awesome induction sound at WOT. Later, I had a VaraRam CAI on an 06 GTO and could not tell any difference in induction sound at WOT. Personally, I love that sound and hope that with this new CAI for the C7 that it can be heard. My 74 Firebird Formula 455 with the Ram Air hood has a sweet induction sound as well when the 4-barrel QuadraJet carb starts sucking air at WOT.

As others have said, it is hard to tell the difference between 460 HP and 480 HP with the butt dyno, but the sound of induction is unmistakeable. My reason for buying one would be to gain that audible enhancement of the driving experience.
You will like the sound! Its only slight ,Just as you crack the throttle. I have to turn my radio off to hear it. It definitely adds to the C7's driving experience in a way that car guys love.

VR tech
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (10-04-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 03:46 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Default Vararam TCR C7 dyno testing video

Facebook Post
Old 10-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
Ok, I'm a believer. Should I order direct or from Edgievette?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Either one .

VR tech
Old 10-03-2017, 04:21 AM
Soluz
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to see that Vararam is back with a new masterpiece! I bought the Vararam system for my C5 a couple of years ago and I am very happy. Are you going to develop a VR system for the C7 Z06 too?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:36 AM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Soluz
Good to see that Vararam is back with a new masterpiece! I bought the Vararam system for my C5 a couple of years ago and I am very happy. Are you going to develop a VR system for the C7 Z06 too?
We are finishing up the LT-4 version as we speak.
That unit gains a substantial amount more power than the LT-1 version. Plus the air going into the blower is actually true ambient temperature. The engines run cooler in track conditions as well.

VR tech
Old 10-03-2017, 02:15 PM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

The VR system uses airflow from a natural high-pressure zone that draws air from Outside the engine compartment. This helps dramatically, feeding cool air to the intake system, to help intercool the intake air charge. The OEM fender area is mostly hot air. Pulling from a small hole and the rear of the front fender back by the sump tank from under the hood! This has played havoc for Z-06 owners!
It is the only system to use a precision injection molded elliptical Airbox Tail and MAF block to ensure precise and consistent MAF sensor metering. Most others use Rotational molding and that is not a precise molding process when it comes to holding tolerances on bore ID ‘s.
Systems like that usually require custom tuning because no two kits are ever alike.
As for airflow, the VR flows far beyond the number you posted.
The VR system also uses venturi areas in the intake system to produce a velocity spike at a specific RPM point to force air into the intake system under vacuum! We went through allot of testing to make that happen. This shows up when we do flow bench testing as well at specific flow points. We did the same thing on the DRX Camaro system to boost power under the curve to great effect. We flow test through the cylinder head, intake manifold and throttle body as one unit. We also conduct a standard flow test but those types of tests never show you the true picture.
Our web guys will be putting up the flow graphs in the next few days, as well as a flow video.
The VR TCR-7 was meant from day one to be a tuned intake system, using every trick possible to boost flow and thermal efficiency with a minimum of extra components to add unnecessary extra cost. NO CORVETTE premium!
The philosophy was: Keep it simple and get the job done as efficiently as possible to make Vararam equipped C-7’s consistent and fast!
VR tech
Does this void the warranty on a new C7 Stingray?
Old 10-03-2017, 02:36 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by syswayne
Does this void the warranty on a new C7 Stingray?
No, it will not.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act- clearly states that the dealer has to prove that the part you added (any part) or excessive vehicle abuse is ultimately what was responsible fore whatever failure happened.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

No, it will not.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act- clearly states that the dealer has to prove that the part you added (any part) or excessive vehicle abuse is ultimately what was responsible fore whatever failure happened.

That is absolutely true however, the dealer can void your warranty than youd have to go to court and fight GM. Needless to say its going to be a long and expensive battle.

That being said I'm anxious to see the results for the Z.

Last edited by Scoobydoobydoo; 10-03-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:04 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
That is absolutely true however, the dealer can void your warranty than youd have to go to court and fight GM. Needless to say its going to be a long and expensive battle.

That being said I'm anxious to see the results for the Z.
I agree. OEM intake will go back on for oil changes. It’s a simple swap so why chance it.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Without getting into the MM argument on CAIs, suffice it to say that the law does not provide the amount of consumer protection people like to think it does. In a warranty denial situation, it is the consumer who will have to wage a legal battle against a corporation w/ very deep pockets. Virtually every warranty denial is final absent a court decision ordering a reversal.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-03-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:05 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Without getting into the MM argument on CAIs, suffice it to say that the law does not provide the amount of consumer protection people like to think it does. In a warranty denial situation, it is the consumer who will have to wage a legal battle against a corporation w/ very deep pockets. Virtually every warranty denial is final absent a court decision ordering a reversal.

MM protects you so you can use a non-GM brand Air Filter in your vehicle ... it doesn't protect you if you replace the entire intake system ... MM basically protects you on wear and tear replacement parts so you don't have to always use more expensive OEM parts. For example .. GM can't deny a caliper warranty because you used AutoZone brake pads instead of GM brake pads.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, I know all that.

All I was saying is that the only way a customer can utilize the "protection" afforded by MM is by fighting it out with a manufacturer within the legal system. That can get very expensive.

There are no "MM Police" who will stop by the dealership and order them to honor the warranty.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:43 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

A good way to avoid any argument all together, is simply to ask your dealer. Tell them what you plan on doing and see if they care. Chances are as long as its outside of the engine ,they won't care. Our dealer doesn't .

VR Tech
Old 10-04-2017, 12:07 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

It's true most dealers don't care about non-OEM mods, as long as they are getting reimbursed for warranty repairs. But, when they are required to get approval from GM for a warranty-covered engine repair or replacement they must follow the GM protocol in looking for after-market mods. Tunes are certainly a game-over situation warranty-wise, but this is more of a gray area.

I have no little or no doubt that this is a safe mod, and that your engineering is sound, but sometimes manufacturer field reps make strange and seemingly capricious decisions regarding aftermarket mods in the case of major warranty repairs. That's when you'll find yourself on your own in a legal battle w/ a manufacturer.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-04-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:05 PM
GSC7
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't you have to put x amount of miles on the car to get the computer to alter fuel to air ratios to get real numbers? I'm not sure how runs with stock then the new system back to back would be sufficient. Was the car run for a while to let the computer rebalance between runs?

thanks.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:51 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by GSC7
Don't you have to put x amount of miles on the car to get the computer to alter fuel to air ratios to get real numbers? I'm not sure how runs with stock then the new system back to back would be sufficient. Was the car run for a while to let the computer rebalance between runs?

thanks.
Yes , It will make more power when it learns.
For comparisons like this ,We always use the highest stock dyno pull and compare it with our lowest VR dyno pull. Multiple pulls with each.
What you can't see in the video is the laptop in the passenger seat monitoring all of the data using EFI Live.
The Dyno data is compared to what we have seen on the road in stock trim and with the Vararam in place . This way we always know the differences between the dyno and the road.
Our systems are set up for road and track loads, because that's where you drive your car, not on a dyno.

VR tech

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam C7 True Cold Air!!!

Old 10-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Scudz
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 192 Posts

Can you do an overlay of the dyno runs? Stock vs Mod.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:27 PM
blueDelusions
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes , It will make more power when it learns.
For comparisons like this ,We always use the highest stock dyno pull and compare it with our lowest VR dyno pull. Multiple pulls with each.
What you can't see in the video is the laptop in the passenger seat monitoring all of the data using EFI Live.
The Dyno data is compared to what we have seen on the road in stock trim and with the Vararam in place . This way we always know the differences between the dyno and the road.
Our systems are set up for road and track loads, because that's where you drive your car, not on a dyno.

VR tech
I think what is being asked, because it has been debated ad naseum in other threads, is after some amount of time will the car try and compensate for a leaned out condition (i.e., more power when the CAI is first installed) and over time adjust fuel trim levels and negate any power gained.

Last edited by blueDelusions; 10-04-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:25 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by blueDelusions
I think what is being asked, because it has been debated ad naseum in other threads, is after some amount of time will the car try and compensate for a leaned out condition (i.e., more power when the CAI is first installed) and over time adjust fuel trim levels and negate any power gained.
Oh , Well that's even easier to answer . NO, it won't.

All Vararam systems must run a min of 12,000 miles before being released to the public. We do this to monitor the vehicle, data logging all types of driving , in all kinds of weather conditions. This way we can see how the ECM reacts to changes in air density over time. We are also trying to "make our part fail" .
All of this testing takes time and in some cases it works against us. Customers want a new toy to go with their new C7 Toy, so they buy someone else's product. Products that we know don't work worth a flip!

As an example : When our test car ran on the dyno, I told the guys watching the laptop the timing figure, MAF numbers and AFR I expect to see. I even told them the cam advance numbers. I was within a tenth of a deg on timing and within 1% on the MAF , dead on the Cam advance number and even though I set the VR up just a tad to the rich side , I was within .20 on AFR. ( 12 to one even)
The same numbers were true with 2 of our customer test cars that I data logged 2 yrs ago and another just a few of months ago.
Its not a rabbit being picked out of a hat.
Its designed to do what it does every time. That's why we can guarantee its performance .
We still get calls from the factory COPO Camaro guys because they know that I know "off the top of my head" the exact numbers they should expect to see out of their 427 and supercharged 350's from parts we made for them 3yrs ago! (Not sure if the Corvette guys ever knew we did this for the COPO's)
This is all because of the level of testing we do here at VR.

Vararam TCR-7's are engineered systems , not just a CAI's.
There is far more Engineering and Technology than people truly realize inside our systems.

Ok so maybe that wasn't the easiest or shortest answer.

VR tech

Quick Reply: Vararam C7 True Cold Air!!!