Old 10-10-2017, 06:16 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Ya think?
You do know, I assume, that this entire forum is dedicated to every year of Corvette, and that the vast majority of people here own cars that haven't had a warranty for many years, right? This isn't just a C7 forum, it's a Corvette forum. Last I looked, nobody forces anyone to buy anything from an advertiser here, or to modify their car such that the warranty is voided.

Thinking about what you post on any social media is always good advice, whether it's about your car, your family, or anything else.
Good advice.
I have a C3 also, was on here years ago. Obviously there are no warranty issues.
I'd wager 95% of the C7 owners on here have there car under warranty. It's pretty clear when a vendor advertises in the C7 section they're trying to get people to screw their warranty and get more hp out of their motor.
Conflict of interest here on the mods part.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:24 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

It a free country, the vendors are not trying to screw anybody. Everyone has the right to modify their car regardless of the warranty. Maybe some don't care about the warranty and would rather mod the car for the "sport" of it. In that case, the vendors provide good products and service. There is no conflict of interest for anybody involved. Relax it's all good.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by fatsport
Conflict of interest here on the mods part.
How so?

This forum is owned by a for-profit company called Internet Brands. They make money various ways, including from the vendors who pay to advertise here. Most (all?) of the moderators here are volunteers, not vendors or employees of IB. I fail to see any more conflict of interest here than the ads in the back of Car & Track or similar magazine.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:31 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Think we should all be VERY careful about talking about modifications of cars under warranty.
Additionally, this 'public' forum is funded by advertising for many products that violate such warranty. This creates a pretty clear conflict of interest imo
Seriously? You still think GM is monitoring this site to take names in case someone says "headers"? How would that work, exactly? You're "fatsport" from Jupiter, right? So GM must have access to the NSA database and local DOL to correlate "fatsport" with John Doe living in Tacoma, Washington in case John Doe ever makes a warranty claim on a C7 involving the drivetrain. How would they know who you are fatsport? Think about it.

And I'm also not following this "clear conflict of interest" idea. What conflict? It's legal to sell headers, right? It's legal to buy them, right? Now you know that installing different headers might void the warranty, so if you do, you do so with full knowledge. It would be a legitimate transaction. And this is not a GM site. We don't need GM's permission to be here. So why is it a conflict of interest for a legitimate seller of products to advertise here? I don't get it.
The following users liked this post:
Steve_R (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Panhead51
Lol!!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I think 'policed' was a poor choice of a word on my part. "Monitor" might be a better choice.
That said, I see people on here modifying their cars and discussing it on a "public" forum. I didn't think much of initially.
Then I had a post deleted. It made me wonder....
Your post was deleted because it violated one of the forum rules. I sent you a PM explaining it. Although I was not the Moderator that deleted the post, I would have if another Moderator had not already done it.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

How so?

This forum is owned by a for-profit company called Internet Brands. They make money various ways, including from the vendors who pay to advertise here. Most (all?) of the moderators here are volunteers, not vendors or employees of IB. I fail to see any more conflict of interest here than the ads in the back of Car & Track or similar magazine.
ALL. All of the Moderators are volunteers that get paid zero, zilch, nada, zip, nil, nothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
Gonzo (10-10-2017), scuba pro (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
ALL. All of the Moderators are volunteers that get paid zero, zilch, nada, zip, nil, nothing.
I thought so.

I've been a moderator on a 4x4 forum for many years. No pay. It's a thankless job.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

I always had a hunch someone was "watching" me. I should've known it was GM.

No wonder the oil change and differential service at the dealer today took 4 hours and 15 minutes from my time of arrival to finish. They were obviously running their super secret diagnostics on it.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:06 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Well of course. You have a yellow vette and are from Pennsylvania? They probably thought you were Streetspeed717, and you KNOW how he abuses his cars.
Corvette ED (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Well of course. You have a yellow vette and are from Pennsylvania? They probably thought you were Streetspeed717, and you KNOW how he abuses his cars.
Now that you mention it I was asked several times "Is that your Yellow Vette"? Yep they were searching for something. They weren't getting anything from me though. I let my "On Star" report do all the talking!!
mschuyler (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:40 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Monitoring/observing

as others have hinted at your choice of vocabulary at least implies a secretive, ulterior motive that I don't think applies. I would even go so far as to say it would be less than reasonable if they didn't observe....we are a ready pool of data/observations for them to consider.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

GM would only look at the forums if they cared about their customers. As far as evidence for warranty issues, they don't need any to decide to cause you problems and they can always have the lawyers look later.

So most of this forum is pretty open. The only part section of this forum that behaves more like GM's Gestapo is the Ask Tadge section. Put a post there about A8 problems or overheating and you will be treated the same way as if you asked the White House Press Secretary about Russian involvement in the election, just perhaps without the IRS auditing you.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:00 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Think we should all be VERY careful about talking about modifications of cars under warranty.
Additionally, this 'public' forum is funded by advertising for many products that violate such warranty. This creates a pretty clear conflict of interest imo
Explain to how GM is going to void your warranty from posting about mods on Corvette Forum? Everybody has a user name(not their real name) and how are they going to get your vin number from here to void your warranty?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Explain to how GM is going to void your warranty from posting about mods on Corvette Forum? Everybody has a user name(not their real name) and how are they going to get your vin number from here to void your warranty?
They have connections with Russian hackers to catch members who have modded their new cars.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Get notified of new replies

To Is this board monitored by GM?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
if they do ,its not helping

the cust serv reps,might try to help,but the only real help ,is from ''GM coprate customer service in detroit''
VERY true...that was my experience with my CTS-V.

Originally Posted by Panhead51
NO FAIR!
I wasn't sober when you took this pic of me!

Originally Posted by mschuyler
The thing is, this is not a particularly good place for GM to gather customer service information.
Agreed.
In spite of this being the largest Corvette forum on the net, the regular posters to the site are a very small number when contrasted with the total amount of Vette owners out there.
The sampling here is just too small for GM to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Which is why I have wondered over the years why anyone would want to do it.
I don't know about here, but some websites I have frequented offer mods modest discounts on products and little perks like that.
Most every mod I have ever talked to has said something to the effect it is a "thankless job."

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
The only part section of this forum that behaves more like GM's Gestapo is the Ask Tadge section. Put a post there about A8 problems or overheating and you will be treated the same way as if you asked the White House Press Secretary about Russian involvement in the election, just perhaps without the IRS auditing you.
Yeah, that.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:28 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Unless somebody is bent on trying to commit fraud with GM on a warrant claim, this is a non-issue.

I've purchased 4 new vettes in the last 10 years and modded every one of them. Everybody knows you pay to play. You mod - it's on you. So there is no conflict of interest with having vendors sell performance parts as sponsors of the forum.

The only thing people need to be careful about with performance mods is determining up front if they're willing to carry the freight. I.e. whether it's for them or not. If not, great, enjoy the peace of mind of your warranty. If so, great, enjoy your increased performance and understand you own it. All of it.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:43 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I always had a hunch someone was "watching" me. I should've known it was GM.
It might have been Mr. McMinion watching you. I believe he was fired for watching customers at McDonald's so he may now work for GM.
Attached Images  

Last edited by NSC5; 10-10-2017 at 08:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
fatsport (10-11-2017), malexand123 (10-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Is this board monitored by GM?