Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather on dash delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:26 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Glad I have a 2LT. Seen a lot of 3LTs with the dash coming apart. Went to look at a 2014 vert and half the dash was loose. It was at a Ford dealer and they had no intention of doing anything about it (understandable... took on trade, need to move metal).
Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 AM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I bought a used 2015 C7 Z06 3LZ M7 (without Z06) last July (2018) with the exact same leather dash problem as in the video. The closest dealer wanted to replace it for $1600 ("half price" GM would pay other half). I plan to take the car back to the dealer I bought it from. It may have been that way when I bought it and just didn't notice. Windshield also had a small crack, but the dealer did replace that. I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money on a leather dash, wondering if it's just going to lift up again in 3 years or so.

It seems that it should be possible to reglue that part of the dash, so I'll ask the dealer. I'm wondering what type of glue they use. 3M super 77 is good for gluing all sort of stuff (carpet, plastic, metal, ....) and in my case for a wing slot in an EPP foam radio control glider (which is why I bought that glue).

Last edited by rcgldr; 02-13-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:22 AM
tjdismee
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Add me to the list. This is a 2014 3LT. I just bought the car, I didn't notice this until I got it home and under artificial light. It is much less obvious in sunlight. I will see what the dealer has to say first. I did buy an extended BTB warranty. Actually, if it got no worse, I could live with this. But thats probably wishful thinking.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:53 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

^^
Typically extended warranty's are not covering the Dash. But unlike those that are pulling away and leaving a gap, yours looks fixable. Steam and perhaps glue injected with a needle from the seam?? Not sure how GM's coined name, “Mulan" synthetic leather reacts to steam? It's made from ~40% ground up leather scarps and other "stuff."

It appears those of us with 1 and 2 LT interiors must have vinyl dash covers as few reported issues.

I sure can’t tell the difference in my 2LT Grand Sport Vinyl dash cover and my prior 3LT 2014 “Mulan” synthetic leather. Both materials use “leather look” embossing rolls in manufacture.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-28-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:52 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by tjdismee

Add me to the list. This is a 2014 3LT. I just bought the car, I didn't notice this until I got it home and under artificial light. It is much less obvious in sunlight. I will see what the dealer has to say first. I did buy an extended BTB warranty. Actually, if it got no worse, I could live with this. But thats probably wishful thinking.
The extended warranty doesnt kick in until after 1k miles
Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Honestly that looks mostly like the bat wing and would be much cheaper to just replace that part.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:11 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Yourconfused
My car just turned over 10k miles and I just noticed that mine is doing this also. The area around the central defrost area extending about 2 inches down the dash is loose. The defrost duct there is also loose. 2014 3LT I don't know of a good GM dealer in the central Texas area but I have an extended warranty that I guess I can check with.
Call Henna service and ask for Mark Wilson. He’s their Vette guy and I’ve had great luck with him.

Last edited by TXSteveF; 05-28-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:49 PM
tjdismee
Advanced

Originally Posted by chefcg1
Honestly that looks mostly like the bat wing and would be much cheaper to just replace that part.
What is the bat wing?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

What is the bat wing?
Link to one for sale
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2017-C...-/232563227346
Old 05-29-2019, 08:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hmm, had not heard the "Upper Dash Pad" called that!

Some of us installed the seat colored one on our 2LT's before GM added that to a 2LT. In fact IMO, it's a better solution as the colored panel above the glove compartment GM also added makes in look like a "Patch Work Quilt" IMO!

PS: The OP's Dash needs more than a new "Upper Dash Pad!"

2017 Red Interiors

My 2LT After Adding Seat Colored "Upper Dash Pad"

Last edited by JerryU; 05-29-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:43 PM
tjdismee
Advanced

I went to Chevy's site and built a 2019 Vette with trim 3LT. Nowhere in the description of the 3LT trim does it say that the dash is leather, or any different from trims 1 & 2. It says:
  1. Custom leather-wrapped interior (information panel, door panels, center console cover and seats).
Why are people on this post stating that the dash in the 3LT is leather, and different than the dash in the other trims? Has this changed from earlier model years?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Had a 3LT 2014 Z51. I looked for 3 years and all you will find from GM is the 3LT has Nappa (or Napa both sp's ok) seating surface. That is real leather tanned a certain way. In a post a fellow who worked for GM described how they tested material for bolsters and real leather we inferior (but he never said what was better but said the bolsters are NOT real leather.)

GM literature says the other surfaces are "soft touch" materials. That includes Mulan "leather," which is their name for synthetic "leather." It consists of ~40% ground up leather scrapes and it's made from other synthetic materials similar to vinyl. The same as Chryslers' old Corinthian "leather" that Ricardo Montalban admitted was a name coined by Chryslers ad agency.

So when GM says leather it's assumed (other than the 3LT seating surface) they are referring to Mulan synthetic "leather." The reason for assuming the 3LT dash is made from Mulan and the 1LT and 2LT are made from vinyl is there are very few issues posted with those 1 and 2LT lower levels. Many posts on 3LT dash issues.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-29-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 PM
MrClean21
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Had my 3LT dash replaced in April, under warranty, 21 months after the in service date. Car came from Texas.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:27 PM
Rocketroy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same on my 2016 Z51 LT 3, always covered, garaged! 11,000 miles! Of course out of 3 year warranty! By 6 months, in the shop now, let’s see how dealer handles it?!?
Old 07-22-2019, 05:26 PM
tjdismee
Advanced

Originally Posted by chefcg1

The dealer did repalce the bat wing under warranty. The HUD area seems like it may be next. Do you know if that is a seperate piece from the rest of the dash? It must not be part of the bat wing, because it was not replaced with the bat wing.
The following users liked this post:
chefcg1 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 10:25 AM
tjdismee
Advanced

[QUOTE=gandkand3;1598378332]
Originally Posted by owc6
Can we get some more pics from folks who are have problems?[/QUOTE

2018 Z06, Had it about three months and saw this. I brought it to the service department yesterday and within 30 seconds of seeing it the service adviser was ordering a new dash. I asked if this was common and she said it was the third one she had seen in the last two months. I was in there a total of five minutes, no hassle getting them to warranty it. When I had spoken to my sales rep before I went up there he had said there was a TSB for it, but he wasn't there to ask. When I asked the adviser about the TSB she wasn't aware of one so not sure if my sales guy was wrong that there was a TSB. I'll try and catch up with him when I get back over there. Please excuse the dust, been sitting in the garage for a few weeks. Dealership was Rick Hendricks in Norfolk.

The entire dash had to be replaced, not just the HUD area?
Old 07-23-2019, 10:29 AM
tjdismee
Advanced

Originally Posted by lennykoll
A couple of things.....

1. I found I had an issue ("bubble") with my upper dash near HUD.... thankfully while it was still under B to B warranty.... (pictures below.... hard to see location in second one due to glare!
2. Dealer agreed it should be replaced under warranty..... entire dash removal!!
3, Upper dash part (at that time) was on national backorder.... indicating to me more than one owner was having the issue!!??
4. When said parts came in, it did take the dealer several days to do the job but thankfully they fixed it right and did not insert problems
5. Tried to determine if replacement parts were redesigned to address this problem.... did NOT have conclusive information to answer that question
6. Will/could it happen with the new dash..... this was over a year ago and so far so good!!

Moral to me..... GM stood behind the issue for me and MAYBE did some redesign or improved their mfg. process.... time will tell.

I side with those that wonder how acceptable a dash cover is on our beautiful C7s.... but that is MHO....LK

They had to remove the entire dash? Did they replace the entire dash, or just remove the dash to replace the leather at the HUD?

Get notified of new replies

To Leather on dash delaminating

Old 10-27-2019, 12:48 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a 2016 3LZ always garaged and parked under car port at work 11385 miles. Discovered today that the passenger side is delaminating in the main segment about half the area. Out of warranty. I bought it new from the dealership. This is not hearsay or conjecture btw.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:04 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Sorry to hear about the issue. If delaminating perhaps it can be repaired but many on this Thread had 3LT dash "leather" shrink around the vent opening. Currently have a 2LT Grand Sport and a 3LT C8 on order. Reminded of a recent Thread where folks questioned if Mulan "leather" was real tanned cow hide. Thought that had been defined years ago when I had a 3LT 2014 Kalahari dash. It remains a concern for the C8 on order with a 3LT interior. .This is my understanding reinforced by this and similar Threads re 3LT dash issues.

All you can find GM officially saying re C7 interior materials and other "proof" is:
  • The 3LT seating surface is Nappa (or Napa) Leather. That is real animal hide using what was a specific tanning process but today it varies.
  • GM states, all other interior "soft touch" materials are Mulan "leather" of vinyl. They nor will you find "officially" what Mulan "leather" is- IT IS NOT A tanning process.
  • It has been validated (to my satisfaction for 5+ years) that Mulan is GM's coined name for bonded leather with up to 40% ground leather scraps man made similar to vinyl. Best proof, IMO is a person who interviewed folks at Bowling Green and a manager made that statement. But from GM's lack of saying specifically what other than the 3LT seating surface is "real tanned leather," the other "leather looking" materials are not!
  • A GM engineer had posted they tested materials for bolsters (not a Corvette) and found real leather was not the best choice. IMO this further validates the the 3LT seating surface and only the 3LT seating surface is real tanned leather- and the seat bolsters are one of the other "soft touch" materials!
  • The dash degradation issues appear to be isolated to 3LTs as there are no reports of issues with 1LT or 2LT dashs (or if there are only so few I never saw the reference.) BY DEDUCTION: the 3LT would appear to be made from bonded leather, GM coined as Mulan. Similar to Corinthian leather Chrysler's coined name. (In fact, years after he was Chryslers' spokesman for Corinthian "leather" Ricardo Montalban in an interview said Chryslers ad agency made up the name!) The 1LT and 2LT dash would appear to be made from a different material than GM's Mulan Leather i.e., vinyl. Both bonded leather and vinyl are processed through embossing rolls and have a leather texture. Both come on large rolls, much easier and cheaper to made into dash, door panel etc parts than isolating undamage sections real leather tanned hides!
SIDEBAR
If what many posts on this Thread indicate is an issue, i.e. shrinkage of the 3LT dash material from the vent opening the solution is to have the dash material replaced. Expensive and getting it done properly is usually a specialty skill Dealer's will send out to have done. Would be cheaper if you could find their source.

I proposed another possibility, using fender welting to fill the gap. It comes in various colors and some suppliers offer to dye to a color. May not be the ideal solution BUT it's far cheaper than replacing the dash, which is NOT a foolproof solution that it will look perfect when finished.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-27-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:22 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I am going to see what my dealership will offer to fix. Then. I am going to see what an upholstery shop will suggest. It is purely a failure of the glue. To say this car has been babied is an understatement. I did find a YouTube of an out of warranty replacement/repair for 956.00. Concerned as others have mentioned even if fixed it likely will happen again since I like to keep my cars for quite a while. This should not happen to a 4 year old car IMO. Especially that rarely sees direct sun and especially since it is a convertible.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (10-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Leather on dash delaminating