Sponsored by:

Leather on dash delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 AM
RVC
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Leather on dash delaminating

Hello all, I have a question. I have a 2014 3LT Z51 and I noticed the other day that the leather in passenger side dash is pulling up form the pad (there is an air bubble under leather) right where the stitching meets the defroster. Here is a pic, if you zoom in you can see a line that looks like discoloration in the dash. The part that has air under it is closest to windshield. Anyone else have this problem? The picture makes it look better than it really is, there is a definite noticeable discoloration and car is out of warranty so this concerns me cause it will get worse. I use sunshades religiously.
Attached Images  

Last edited by RVC; 10-17-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Someone else posted a similar problem several months back. His was also a 2014 and it was no longer covered under warranty.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

I would take it to the dealer and see if they can goodwill a replacement.

Or if that doesn't work, call GM customer service and see what they can do for you. I had my gauge cluster go defective on my Monte Carlo and it was out of warranty for two years and GM customer service arranged with the dealer to have the cluster replaced. GM would pay for half of the replacement, which I thought was quite sporting of them.

If you don't ask, you don't know.

The following users liked this post:
Double Aught (05-29-2019)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Several C6 people with the 4LT leather dash were reporting the same problem, so it looks like GM is establishing a new "Corvette Tradition" to go with the new idea of a leather dash.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Leather dashes are notorious for delaminating/cracking, etc. A common issues for BMW as well, at least their older cars. Using a windshield shade helps reduce the heat load on the dash but I guess it's too late for your car. Sorry for your trouble.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 10-11-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

If you have no luck with GM take your car to an automotive upholstery shop.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Ours is bubbling between the frames that outline the HUD port. I searched this forum for other incidents and found several other owners who decided just to "live with it" which is what I, too, decided. I purchased one of those dash mats to cover it and also protect the rest of the dash (though sight-unseen it's a moot point). I know; a 3LT with a mat looks cheesy...

My alternative was to let a reluctant dealership R&R a new dash panel in our car. To paraphrase, the service writer said something like, "we're willing to do it, and obviously it's covered under the warranty, but there are so many electrical connections it's a risky endeavor and we're not sure you wouldn't be opening a can of worms of electrical problems. They could be constant enough that we could find and fix them, or they could be sporadic and rare enough that replicating the problem might be a nightmare. We suggest that we could just make a small cut and inject a syringe of glue in the area."

His summed up my forum research very accurately--there are at least two forum authors who complained about sporadic electrical problems after a dashboard R&R (you can find them with a serious search). I decided just to cover it with a dash mat because I'm not sure how a glue that dries hard might look under a soft "leather" surface. And there's the cut to consider.
Double Aught (05-29-2019)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:30 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Some things just don't change between redesigns. With all the new parts that GM supposedly used you would think they would have replaced them with good ones.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:04 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by RVC
Yeah having the dealer remove my dash is does not instill confidence. Along with potential electrical problems the rattling and creaking would be inevitable. it sucks because it's gonna look terrible eventually.
Supposedly it is a 15 hour job for the dealer to replace it.

Take a look.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-new-dash.html
Old 10-11-2017, 02:50 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by RVC
Hello all, I have a question. I have a 2014 3LT Z51 and I noticed the other day that the leather in passenger side dash is pulling up form the pad (there is an air bubble under leather) right where the stitching meets the defroster. Here is a pic, if you zoom in you can see a line that looks like discoloration in the dash. The part that has air under it is closest to windshield. Anyone else have this problem? The picture makes it look better than it really is, there is a definite noticeable discoloration and car is out of warranty so this concerns me cause it will get worse. I use sunshades religiously.
Wow! I couldn’t see what you were talking about until now. I changed my dash pad so I know the hours I put it to just do that so I can see if they need to remove the entire dash how it could take 10-15 hours. The dash panels at the windshield probably just snaps in and out into place.

If it is covered by warranty I wouldn’t hesitate to let them remove and replace rather than it gets worse and in other spots and then goes out of warranty. I don’t see any other option unless slit the leather close to the windshield and let any air pockets out and then use a heat gun and see if that would shrink the leather and smooth out the air pocket. If that works I would then get leather glue under the leather and apply pressure and smooth it out.

Again, if it were me I would get it done under warranty as it’s not much more screws to undo than when I changed my dash pad.

Last edited by KGrant; 10-11-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:47 PM
brandoncasey2002
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 23 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPo...ature=youtu.be

Heres a vid on the subject, with the cost for repair and the email used to get it fixed.
A320Flyer (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:09 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by KGrant
Wow! I couldn’t see what you were talking about until now. I changed my dash pad so I know the hours I put it to just do that so I can see if they need to remove the entire dash how it could take 10-15 hours. The dash panels at the windshield probably just snaps in and out into place.

If it is covered by warranty I wouldn’t hesitate to let them remove and replace rather than it gets worse and in other spots and then goes out of warranty. I don’t see any other option unless slit the leather close to the windshield and let any air pockets out and then use a heat gun and see if that would shrink the leather and smooth out the air pocket. If that works I would then get leather glue under the leather and apply pressure and smooth it out.

Again, if it were me I would get it done under warranty as it’s not much more screws to undo than when I changed my dash pad.
Try purchasing a dash mat. They are more effective at keeping the dash cool in the sun than Windows shade. You can get them for under a $100. Good insurance.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:29 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I bought a 2015 earlier this year and had mine replaced. The car was CPO and I argued that it should be covered and GM paid half and the dealer who sold me the car paid half of the remaining. Really sucks, but happy to have it replaced.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:48 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Asking this question to the dash swap guys: is the only way to remove the dash speakers is to take apart the dash? Is there no easier way?
ShadowB (07-23-2019)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

My 2015 has this problem I am out of warranty and havent even asked about it. For now I will live with it. I may go to an upholstery shop to see if there is any way to glue it down. but Im not holding my breath on that
Old 10-02-2018, 04:06 PM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Does the delamination issue exist with the LT2 interior? If not why?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:45 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 716 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by javenius
Does the delamination issue exist with the LT2 interior? If not why?
No, because the dash is NOT leather covered. It is vinyl.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather on dash delaminating

Old 10-02-2018, 05:05 PM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Does anyone know if they have improved upon the leather and materials on the LT3 interior in the 2019's?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:20 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
No, because the dash is NOT leather covered. It is vinyl.
Vinyl needs to be glued as well and GM is using the same adhesive on the vinyl as they are for the 3 LT dash. I would think if people would only put down a dash mat the dash temperature would be greatly reduced which would reduce the likihood of the adhesive failing. Excessively high temperature and UV are the culprit when leather detaches. It's a failure of the adhesive.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Vinyl needs to be glued as well and GM is using the same adhesive on the vinyl as they are for the 3 LT dash. I would think if people would only put down a dash mat the dash temperature would be greatly reduced which would reduce the likihood of the adhesive failing. Excessively high temperature and UV are the culprit when leather detaches. It's a failure of the adhesive.
But with a dash pad your covering up all that beautiful leather. Kind kills it for me. Shouldn't be this frequent of an issue.
LimeRay (11-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Leather on dash delaminating