Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the motion sensor work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:33 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default How does the motion sensor work?

I have my car in the shop for a few small things, and asked them to check the motion sensor. Maybe I just don't understand how it works, but when I have the top off, I thought it was supposed to set off the alarm if someone put their arm in as long as the windows were up. I had my son test this and he was able to stick his hand in both sides and unlock the door before the horn started beeping. He even tried to wave his arm around a bit. Am I missing something?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:00 PM
Bigj1875
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Great question I can’t seam to get it to work on my vert with the top done.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Yes, it specifically does NOT work with the top off. At least on the coupes there is a small micro switch in the drivers side windshield top pin receiving hole. When the top is off, this micro switch inactivates interior the motion sensor.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:14 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

With the targa top removed (2LT and 3LT)- If you look in the locating pin receptacle on the top-left side of the windshield frame, you'll see a tiny red/white dot. It's a micro switch that deactivates the internal motion sensor when the top is removed, theory is that GM didn't want the alarm going off when a leaf blows into the car. I wouldn't have done it that way...

I suspect that the rest of the motion sensor system stays active, so the alarm could still go off if someone starts to tow your car or jack it up.

A proper size drywall anchor, inserted carefully, will keep the switch pressed in and keep the motion system fully armed, but you run the risk of damaging the switch and the plastic piece may look rather conspicuous.

EDIT: Zymurgy types faster than me.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-16-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:53 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I appreciate the information. I could see that you wouldn't want false alarms, but I wish there was a way to choose to leave it active. At least I know it's not an issue.

Thanks again. Now if they would hurry up and fix my paint issue. I've been stuck in a camaro for a week.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:07 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bigj1875
Great question I can’t seam to get it to work on my vert with the top done.
When the top is down in the vert the intrusion alarm does not work for motion in the cabin. The rest of the alarm system works just fine.

Elmer
Old 10-17-2017, 10:26 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by segen77
I appreciate the information. I could see that you wouldn't want false alarms, but I wish there was a way to choose to leave it active.
A forum member found a simple method to activate the switch with the top off (Reply #14):

Link
The following users liked this post:
segen77 (10-18-2017)
Old 07-27-2019, 09:46 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a coupe, my question is whether the motion sensor activated when the engine is running, for example if have a passenger in the car and leave the engine running with the passenger inside the car do I need to turn the motion sensor off ?
Old 07-28-2019, 08:28 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes. My wife stayed in the car with the engine running and she did no have her fob. She tried to shoo a fly away and set the alarm off. Fortunately I was only about 60 feet away so I could shut off the alarm.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 127 Posts

A proper size drywall anchor with a rounded nose inserted in the hole will keep the switch pressed in and keep the motion system fully armed. Zero risk of damage because its the same hole the roof pin goes in. Colored mine with a black marker and I keep it in the center console, use it all the time - no problem.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:38 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by boss2k
I have a coupe, my question is whether the motion sensor activated when the engine is running, for example if have a passenger in the car and leave the engine running with the passenger inside the car do I need to turn the motion sensor off ?

No. If the car is running, the alarm is not going to set.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 07-28-2019 at 10:40 AM.
boss2k (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 01:01 PM
CPO Rob
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 77 Posts

I hope this helps

Inclination Sensor and

Intrusion Sensor

In addition to the standard theft-deterrent system features, this system may also have an inclination sensor and intrusion sensor.The Inclination sensor can set off the alarm if it senses movement of the vehicle, such as a change in vehicle orientation. The intrusion sensor monitors the vehicle interior, and can activate the alarm if it senses unauthorized entry into the vehicles interior. Do not allow passengers or pets to remain in the vehicle when the intrusion sensor is activated. Before arming the theft-deterrent system and activating the intrusion sensor:.

Make sure both doors and

windows are completely closed..

Secure any loose items such as sunshades.

Intrusion and Inclination

Sensors Disable Switch

It is recommended that the intrusion and inclination sensors be deactivated if pets are left in the vehicle or the vehicle is being transported. With the vehicle turned off, press the button to the right of the hatch/trunk release button. The indicator light will come on momentarily, indicating that these sensors have been disabled until the next time the alarm system is armed.
boss2k (07-28-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 04:50 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

with my top down, my alarm has gone off twice with my wife inside while I am in the store.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:54 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
with my top down, my alarm has gone off twice with my wife inside while I am in the store.
I just went out to my garage. I lowered the top. Opened the door and then closed the door. Waited until the alarm light started the slow flash to indicate that it was set. I then waved a towel inside of the seating area, actually I waved it everywhere my arm and the towel would reach. The alarm did not respond to the intrusion.

I don't know what your wife is doing in the car to set off the alarm but it is not intrusion. Maybe she's rocking out wildly to the tunes on the radio and the car is detecting movement or sensing a shock but it's not intrusion.

The intrusion alarm does not set if the top is down.

If you want video, I taped my test but I find it a royal PITA to get a video on here from my iPhone!

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To How does the motion sensor work?

Quick Reply: How does the motion sensor work?