Sponsored by:

Thanks GM...another victim of the dreaded failed TC

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Dyn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffer
as much as I have liked your posts in the past you are becoming a bit of a smartass

I have followed your threads and questions on a new 2018 corvette for many many months

I can HARDLY WAIT UNTIL IT IS YOU HAVING A8 TC AND TRANNY PROBLEMS I WILL HAVE TO BE NEAR THE LOCAL HOSPITAL AS I WILL BE LAUGHING SO LOUD AND LONG ONE MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO CATCH MY BREATH

what goes around comes around

when you are pointing or wagging your finger at someone at least 3 fingers are pointing back at you

Jeffer

Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyn
Yea, that sounds like a way more risky proposition. IMS failures. Oring failures, they have their issues too. Only, you know, way more expensive to fix.

I just bought an extended warranty. Bring it Mr TC.

...of course I have the A6 so might be wasted money. Hopefully something else will break.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:16 PM
BAT16
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Been over a year and almost 6000 miles since I last posted about this issue (when the triple flush was performed by the dealer) ... But the dreaded "shudder" has returned while cruising in V4 mode. (still no shudder when in manual). Took it to the dealer last week and the service advisor said there's a new transmission fluid GM is now using in these cars which is guaranteed to eliminate the shudder for good. As you'll recall, the track record for the triple flush (and replacement with a different transmission fluid from factory original) was about 50% successful, with the other 50% eventually needing new TCs. Now, GM is doing a single flush with this new transmission fluid (which was just released within the past couple of months), and this new fluid doesn't require a triple flush. Just a swap out with the previous fluid, and the shudder will be gone. The dealer said this newest transmission fluid is a non-hydrostatic fluid, which is less likely to retain moisture. Apparently, GM has learned that water retention in the previous fluids is the cause of the shudder. And the problem is more pronounced in humid climates (I live in Florida). So ... I'm taking it in this week to let them swap out the fluid, and we'll see how it goes.
The following 5 users liked this post by BAT16:
blkvet6 (02-04-2019), Formula52 (02-17-2019), jimmie jam (02-04-2019), Landru (02-05-2019), Len44 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:22 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 622 Posts

Thanks for the update, hope this is the last time.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BAT16
Been over a year and almost 6000 miles since I last posted about this issue (when the triple flush was performed by the dealer) ... But the dreaded "shudder" has returned while cruising in V4 mode. (still no shudder when in manual). Took it to the dealer last week and the service advisor said there's a new transmission fluid GM is now using in these cars which is guaranteed to eliminate the shudder for good. As you'll recall, the track record for the triple flush (and replacement with a different transmission fluid from factory original) was about 50% successful, with the other 50% eventually needing new TCs. Now, GM is doing a single flush with this new transmission fluid (which was just released within the past couple of months), and this new fluid doesn't require a triple flush. Just a swap out with the previous fluid, and the shudder will be gone. The dealer said this newest transmission fluid is a non-hydrostatic fluid, which is less likely to retain moisture. Apparently, GM has learned that water retention in the previous fluids is the cause of the shudder. And the problem is more pronounced in humid climates (I live in Florida). So ... I'm taking it in this week to let them swap out the fluid, and we'll see how it goes.
Nice of you to update your experience, even though you still have some problems.
My understanding of the new procedure is that although it's a single flush, they will actually use a special flushing machine to remove all of the old fluid; and do a better job than the previous triple flush which was more of a triple change with no thorough flush.
Please let us know what they actually do, and how it works for you.
Best of luck to you!

Old 02-04-2019, 05:43 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Too much "understanding" and not enough reading of the TSB. For the Corvette and CT6 only it is removal of the transmission pan and drain of all fluid. It is filling the new flush machine with 24 qts of new fluid and doing an 8 qt install and removal three times. So we still have the triple flush for the Y bodies. The procedure is listed on the last few pages of the TSB. Most of the TSB refers to the other models with an A8.

Last edited by pkincy; 02-04-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:51 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Too much "understanding" and not enough reading of the TSB. For the Corvette and CT6 only it is removal of the transmission pan and drain of all fluid. It is filling the new flush machine with 24 qts of new fluid and doing an 8 qt install and removal three times. So we still have the triple flush for the Y bodies. The procedure is listed on the last few pages of the TSB. Most of the TSB refers to the other models with an A8.
I don't understand: Is the transmission fluid the same as the Torque Converter fluid? Does removal of the transmission pan also remove / change the fluid in the Torque Converter?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:08 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

No, fluid is inside the t/c and the trans. So If you do it right you need to remove the t/c and drain it by it's self.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by stillcrazy
No, fluid is inside the t/c and the trans. So If you do it right you need to remove the t/c and drain it by it's self.
T/C will not be removed. Overfilling with an additional 4 qts several times as specified in the TSB will cycle out all the fluid with fresh fluid. Yes the T/C is the same as the transmission fluid.
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:41 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

I stand corrected. I was under the assumption there was a drain plug in the t/c . No wonder their having problems
Baetke (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:42 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

I stand corrected, no wonder their having problems with the trans and t/c.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 456 Likes on 289 Posts

If you read the Service manual it states that the pan and filter holds 7.4 quarts of ATF. So if you drop the pan and empty it you should get that amount. refilling the transmission with 8 quarts of ATF is not over filling the it. Adding an extra 0.6 quarts or 19.2 oz is not overfilling the transmission.
Basically by the time you remove and refill the transmission numerous times with enought fluid (24 qts) the % of old vs new is very low < 5%.
I change mine out 4 qts at a time ~ 6 times. Same result in the end. I only got 4.5 qts at a time because I used the Evacuation method, no dropping the pan no mess. My car had only 1700 miles and already been 'flushed' by me with Mobil 1 (old version, black label) 2 times before the new Blue label version came out.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM
GRSAMS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Purchased my 2016 Stingray 3LT CPO in October 2018. On the drive home from the dealer, it started shuddering. Had no idea what it was at the time until I read issues here on the forum. I contacted the dealer, took it in they flushed it (~November timeframe) and now its back. Haven't driven the car much as I would like and due to the rainy weather, but I'm like some on the forum in that I wish I'd done more research before purchasing.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:00 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

In the FWIW dept...I too had shudder after going into the V4 mode after 13,000 in Sept of 2018....I have a EARLY build, July 2015 ....2016 Z51. Brought it to Dimmitt Chevy in Clearwater, Fl..... They changed out the old with the NEW fluid and said if that didn't work they would change the TC. I have close to 1000 miles on it since then and no problem....Also, I read recently that there is a Class Action Law suit which is addressing this problem....I don't know what they are seeking but it is for owners in only certain states....if anyone has more info on that I would appreciate a Private Message about it....
Old 02-05-2019, 04:34 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default another reason.....

Originally Posted by T VETTE
Still waiting before I buy a C 7 till ALL the bugs are gone.
...why I'm glad I got the 7 speed; not trying to rub it in but it's one less concern (especially now that she's just about out of the warranty)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:38 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by stillcrazy
If you read the other post, you'll find it's about 50/50 % if it works and not working. In some cases cars wind up needing new transmissions or even engines, and in some cases G/M has bought back the car the car.
geez! i can only imagine the seething anger i'd certainly have!

Old 02-05-2019, 08:58 PM
BAT16
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
...why I'm glad I got the 7 speed; not trying to rub it in but it's one less concern (especially now that she's just about out of the warranty)
Don't worry, I'm not taking it as rubbing it in. I'm very happy with my 2016 A8 after 2 yrs of ownership. For me, this shudder issue -- while an unexpected annoyance -- is small potatoes. Several reasons: (1) The shudder exists only in V4 (AFM) mode -- never while in manual. (2) I've taken a liking to the paddle shifters and drive in manual mode 95% of the time, (3) The dealer is doing everything by the book so far to try to correct the problem and is trying to make it right, (4) I have an extended warranty, in case the problem persists beyond the next year, and (5) If the problem persists even after changing out a TC, I'll hook up a Range device, which seems to have a good track record of avoiding AFM (V4) mode, and thus, the entire issue. (Who buys a Corvette for gas mileage anyway?) Do I like taking the car to the dealer for 2 transmission fluid changes in the first 7000 miles? Of course not, but the guy around the corner from me with a 2017 M7 has had more problems than I can count, is angry, and has written letters to GM execs in an effort to get GM to buy the car back. Should that make someone avoid buying an M7? Of course not. Can't predict this stuff. Bottom line for me: This is my first Vette (I'm 59), this shudder is the only issue the car has experienced in the first 2 years, and I'm having a blast driving my A8 in manual mode all around town. If it were to get totaled tomorrow, I'd take the insurance $$ and go out and buy another one. Life's too short. But that's just me. YMMV. I'll keep everyone posted down the road after tomorrow's fluid changeout. Thanks for listening.

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks GM...another victim of the dreaded failed TC

Old 02-06-2019, 03:19 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I can not agree with the statement that it exists only in V4 mode. The A8 manifests this problem across the GM line and many of those cars do not have AFM or a V4 mode. I think a more accurate statement is that you can somewhat delay the onset of the shudder by staying out of V4 or V4 to V8 as much as possible. Folks that drive often in D are finding onset sooner than folks that use a Range or stay in M most of the time, but the latter folks are getting shudder. And the fix is not nearly as costly as the valve guide problem on the C6Zs. Nevertheless it is costly enough that GM is going to lose money on their GMEPP products for sure.

Last edited by pkincy; 02-06-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My car had the shudder real bad and the fluid was changed about 3 months ago but that did NOT solve the problem. I had the fluid flushed again last week with the new procedure and fluid and the shudder is gone.

I have attached the NEW TSB for those that want to see what is involved. Make sure and see the directions that apply to the Corvette as the TSB has directions for many cars. I had to break the TSB into two parts as the file was too big to post as one, the Corvette directions are toward the end of part 2.

John
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB # 18-NA-355 Part 1.pdf (3.76 MB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf
TSB # 18-NA-355 Part 2.pdf (3.51 MB, 47 views)

Last edited by MA ZO6; 02-06-2019 at 04:07 PM.
pkincy (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by pkincy
I can not agree with the statement that it exists only in V4 mode. The A8 manifests this problem across the GM line and many of those cars do not have AFM or a V4 mode. I think a more accurate statement is that you can somewhat delay the onset of the shudder by staying out of V4 or V4 to V8 as much as possible. Folks that drive often in D are finding onset sooner than folks that use a Range or stay in M most of the time, but the latter folks are getting shudder. And the fix is not nearly as costly as the valve guide problem on the C6Zs. Nevertheless it is costly enough that GM is going to lose money on their GMEPP products for sure.

It's interesting that some cars develop the problem within a few thousand miles, others have many miles but no problem yet. Sure, everything will go bad eventually, but the variation in A8 problems is surprising. Our early build 2017 A8 Z51 now has 22k miles, almost all of them in D on long highway trips with only a few atocrosses, and no shudder. One poster here has over 60k miles without problem.

The normal reason to buy insurance is to cover losses that you could not afford to pay out of pocket, like your house burning down. But another reason is because you believe the company has seriously underpriced their product and you are more likely to "win". Having had decades of bad experience with GM reliability, we've bought the GM extended warranty on each of our 4 modern Corvettes. The first three, we "made money" on the policy and not even counting the convenience factor. Our C7 has been pretty trouble free so far and is still within the 3/36 basic warranty, this might be the one where we finally lose money. I'm hoping to lose, but the A8 problems leave the issue in doubt.

Quick Reply: Thanks GM...another victim of the dreaded failed TC