C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle hissing on acceleration. Intake manifold leak ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 PM
chaznad
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vehicle hissing on acceleration. Intake manifold leak ??

Hey all ,
Little concerned , just bought my dream car a month ago. 2014 z51 with 21,000 miles. Warranty is no longer existent
Everything seems perfect and i drive it without any issues but lately i notice
1)a little bit of a rough idle at full stop. Doesn't stall just a bit of hesitation.
2)when driving at any speed you'll hear a hissing almost like a supercharger whenever i accelerate . I thought this was because the after market intake manifold and CAI but after researching , sounds like a leak
3 And finally the CEL codes were thrown the other day P0171 and P0174 ( system too lean bank 1&2 ) . I thought this was from the cats being removed but the tuner confirmed that he deleted those codes after the tune and that is not the case

Mods are listed below

What do you recommend the steps I take not having warranty. Sounds like a leak , but Should I take it to chevrolet. A regular mechanic. Does it matter ? is this something anyone can fix? And what should I expect out of pocket
Old 10-18-2017, 09:39 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

check your warranty, the 2014's came with a longer warranty than all the other corvettes so you might still be good. I just forget what it was and all of them have a 5 year/50k warranty on the drive train I believe.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Did you have a pre-purchase inspection done by a Chevy dealer?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:49 PM
chaznad
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys , it should technically have a warranty , the issue is it has a rebuilt title because it was rear ended. The accident was minor, no airbags deployed and only required a new rear bumper but I'm guessing that voids warranty. Im comfortable with this purchase because i have no intentions selling but i think I'm screwed for warranty.
If not from that I also have an mad intake manifold , CAI , cats removed , e85 kit , and its been tuned :/
Old 10-18-2017, 10:12 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by chaznad
Guys , it should technically have a warranty , the issue is it has a rebuilt title because it was rear ended. The accident was minor, no airbags deployed and only required a new rear bumper but I'm guessing that voids warranty. Im comfortable with this purchase because i have no intentions selling but i think I'm screwed for warranty.
If not from that I also have an mad intake manifold , CAI , cats removed , e85 kit , and its been tuned :/
Hopefully you got it for next to nothing.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Even if rebuilt title was not a warranty problem, your car lost warranty when the mods began (cats are pulled man, that alone voids your warranty). So since you have 0 chance of warranty, take it to a reputable shop, one that understands and has a good reputation with LS/LT1 motors. Good luck buddy

Last edited by LT4CMG; 10-18-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:49 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
check your warranty, the 2014's came with a longer warranty than all the other corvettes so you might still be good. I just forget what it was and all of them have a 5 year/50k warranty on the drive train I believe.
The only difference between 14-15 and later warranties was the earlier cars had a 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty. 16 and later cars were reduced to 5 years and 60K miles. B2B warranty is the same for all model years.

Mileage isn't a factor here for the OP, but the mods and tune on his car killed all warranties. At this point, taking it to a Chevrolet dealer would be pointless, so you might as well take it to any competent shop.

The too lean codes are common in tuned cars because that's an easy way for someone who doesn't know what they're doing to get extra power. But it sucks for the longevity of your engine, and a very easy way to kill them.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-19-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:11 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A hissing sound under acceleration, without forced induction, would make me look for an exhaust leak, first.

If I read your list correctly, you don't have forced induction currently.

With the lean codes, are the exhaust tips sooty by any chance?

An exhaust leak in the vicinity of the O2 sensor, or before it will fool the computer into thinking the engine is lean, causing excess enrichment, causing the symptoms you describe, at least on EFI vehicles I've owned.

If you want to check it yourself, get a short length of hose (vacuum hose, vinyl hose, whatever you may have so long as it's smaller than garden hose ) and hold one end by your ear (close to, not in or "up to") use the other end like a stehescope around the exhaust with the engine idling.

Be careful, some stuff will be moving, some stuff gets hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Vehicle hissing on acceleration. Intake manifold leak ??

Quick Reply: Vehicle hissing on acceleration. Intake manifold leak ??