Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Cold Air Intake coming to 2018 C7

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:12 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

If GM is sanctioning an upgraded CAI, with a more aggressive tune, then it should be offered as a factory option, or at least without an asterisk warning that it could void the warranty.

I know that Ford has the same warnings with their FRPP and Roush equipment, unless installed by a certified dealership. Perhaps it is the same way with GM. Wonder if the Camaro’s version has the same disclaimer...
Old 11-01-2017, 08:16 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Yup ... It's a WIN/WIN for Ford ... LOSE/LOSE for consumer if you go that route ..

1) Buy FRPP tuning kit from Ford (ford makes money)
2) Must pay Dealer to install parts and tune (dealer makes money)
3) Ford reduces Drive Train warranty from 5/60 to 3/36 ... (Ford saves Money)

I did read on the Camaro Forum that the install of the Tune is included in the price of the CAI .. so dealers are not charging ... supposedly.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmhines:
Gonzo (11-03-2017), VNAMVET (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Greetings,

I spoke to the Chevy engineers yesterday and he was not quite sure what the performance numbers would look like. Asked about cost - he thought, more than $350.

Here's a pic of the system.

A lot to pick and choose from - this, K&N, aFe, etc. Not sure who has the best...numbers are all across the board.

Semper Fi
Attached Images  
The following 5 users liked this post by Former USMC:
Kracka (11-01-2017), LT4CMG (11-01-2017), vbdenny (11-03-2017), VNAMVET (11-01-2017), z edge (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:45 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

That is definitely just a Cosmetic Mod ... they are only replacing the airbox .. its using the original intake tube to the TB ... The Camaro CAI replaces everything ...
The following users liked this post:
tcinla (11-07-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:07 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Maybe time to think about a Camaro?? Oh hell NO -- been there done that - I'll just hang in till the C8 or buy a Z06 and call it a day -- I'm old anyhow LOL
Old 11-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
That is definitely just a Cosmetic Mod ... they are only replacing the airbox .. its using the original intake tube to the TB ... The Camaro CAI replaces everything ...
That's what I was thinking...although the little window and Corvette Skull looks snazzy...may have a bigger and better flow air filter.

Semper Fi
Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

The aftermarket CAI's that I've had experiences with my last 3 Corvettes have all been superior to the factory units. But while so many squawk and complain about GM and how they're behind with these sort of improvements keep in mind that they( GM engineers) start with a blank piece of paper, not with an existing item that can always be improved. Second the design engineers also have their work completely scrutinized by hordes of lawyers and bean counters. As a design engineer myself I know how this works and it's not fun to have your creativity stymied by the clueless.

For example, here's a picture of all the items in a stock intake versus an installed Vararam. Weight alone is a couple of pounds and anyone knows air flows better thru a curve than around a 90 degree corner.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

There is something very appealing to me about buying a product that has GM’s R&D dollars behind it. Just my opinion. Not knocking any aftermarket product developers, there are some great innovators in this space, but if this is what the Z28 intake was for my LS3, I’m in. On the other hand, if it’s just a box with a cute Jake etched on it that provides no quantifiable improvement, then no thanks.

Last edited by LT4CMG; 11-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.
vbdenny (11-03-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
The aftermarket CAI's that I've had experiences with my last 3 Corvettes have all been superior to the factory units. But while so many squawk and complain about GM and how they're behind with these sort of improvements keep in mind that they( GM engineers) start with a blank piece of paper, not with an existing item that can always be improved. Second the design engineers also have their work completely scrutinized by hordes of lawyers and bean counters. As a design engineer myself I know how this works and it's not fun to have your creativity stymied by the clueless.

Having managed and R&D Lab I understand that a new development gets pulled away when some of the engineers would prefer more than a 9 month gestation time, more like an elephants ~20 months. In fact, had one who have preferred it had a PhD before letting it out of the womb!

I get a chuckle re all those that said “nothing can be better than what GM designs, or they would use it!” You’re right, bean counters and time have a big influence on design! ALL C7s have “cold air intake” it comes from outside the inner fender well. The aFe system uses a larger filter that requires a large filter housing. They also use a somewhat smoother air intake tube that fits the larger housing.

I installed an aFe low restriction air intake system on my September 20313 built C7 and removed it when I sold it and installed on my current Grand Sport. No problems, the OEM MAPS can handle needed changes in air/flow in the LT1. No Tune Needed! I use their oiled cotton filter that is the lowest restriction offered and probably get 12 to ~15 hp. (Although, like NPP, I mostly added it for the loud sucking sound at WOT!) A poster used their higher restriction paper filter system and in dyno tests got a 10 hp increase. Not sure he waited the ~100 miles required for the engine to optimize the air/fuel ratio. The LT4 is different. the increase in hp is reported to be >25 hp and may require a tune! Hench warranty issues!

TECH INFO FROM TADGE:
This is what Tadge published in a post re aftermarket air intake systems, quoting segments of his long statement:

“We do not routinely test aftermarket induction systems or any other aftermarket parts for that matter. We have our hands full designing, building and testing our production hardware. Although simple in concept, induction systems play an important role in many vehicle performance areas. Aside from the exhaust, there is no greater noise source on a performance vehicle. Induction systems generally have many tuning elements that ensure the quality of the sound emanating from it are pleasing and harmonious with the exhaust note. These tuning elements also dampen the sound energy to help with pass-by requirements. Aftermarket companies don't have to worry about it, but as the OEM, we must guarantee that our products are quiet enough to be driven at full throttle by a microphone by the side of the road and meet certain decibel levels. There are pass-by laws in many states and pretty universal around the world.

Besides needing to be fed dry air, the induction system needs access to cool ambient air. This is why we breathe into a space behind the headlamp and under the right fender. The air inside the engine compartment is generally much warmer and, even though a larger, lower restriction filter could be packaged there, the hot air ingestion outweighs the filter restriction in terms of real world performance.

The air filter itself is the focus of many discussions on low restriction. Its job is to keep foreign material out of the engine. Here again, there are many trade-off decisions balancing restriction with filter life (service interval) and filtration quality. Sacrificing either of the latter two improve the former. We tend to be conservative to make sure that our engines are very durable, so that does open up an opportunity for aftermarket system.

As with many of the questions on this forum, all vehicle design is a balance of trade-offs. We do what is legal and right for the vast majority of customers. Aftermarket companies offer products that strike a different balance that might appeal to some folks. I am appreciative of this opportunity to explain some of the thought behind the decisions we make. “

aFe filter vs OEM in Grand Sport

Last edited by JerryU; 11-01-2017 at 11:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Kracka (11-01-2017), Mike Campbell (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:41 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's also interesting that they're now offering an MSRC "upgraded" suspension tune, now that DSC has developed a device that puts the OEM controller to shame.
I think it's just an updated tune that's already in the 16+ cars
Old 11-01-2017, 02:39 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

$350 for a filter only? No thanks. It’s not “cold air”.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

That's one he'll of a Corvette tax
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

I have the Attak Blue filter from TKO, which is considerably larger and easier breathing than the OEM filter I removed. Based on what little info is out there at this time, I’m still under the impression that this $350 contraption is actually a less obstructed CAI direct from GM. If it’s just a filter, why would anyone waste $350 on it when there are a lot of good filter choices in the $100 range? Guess no sense in speculating now, let’s wait and see.
TKO Performance (11-03-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
$350 for a filter only? No thanks. It’s not “cold air”.
Originally Posted by MikeyTX
That's one he'll of a Corvette tax
Originally Posted by ls3zob
I have the Attak Blue filter from TKO, which is considerably larger and easier breathing than the OEM filter I removed. Based on what little info is out there at this time, I’m still under the impression that this $350 contraption is actually a less obstructed CAI direct from GM. If it’s just a filter, why would anyone waste $350 on it when there are a lot of good filter choices in the $100 range? Guess no sense in speculating now, let’s wait and see.
There is something very appealing to me about buying a product that has GM’s R&D dollars behind it. Just my opinion. Not knocking any aftermarket product developers, there are some great innovators in this space, but if this is what the Z28 intake was for my LS3, I’m in. On the other hand, if it’s just a box with a cute Jake etched on it that provides no quantifiable improvement, then no thanks.
Hmm, looking at Post # 23 it's MORE than just a filter. Like some of the others (including the aFe I posted) it has a filter housing and probably a bigger filter.

However GM is NOT in the filter business and doubt they did much if an engineering! As much of their "stuff" in the aftermarket catalog they buy it from vendors! Granted they no doubt did test it but they like Jegs, Summitt etc etc are in business to make money in that department. Like most manufaturers of the systems they will probably publish the highest dyno number they get!

The aluminum heads and CNC port matched intake manifold in my ZZ502/502 Chevy engine in my Street Rod say GM on the castings. But they are make by Edelbrock and suspect Edelbrock did much of the engineering!

Perhaps they select a better filter material, but like aFe who offer several including somewhat higher restriction paper, they may do the same.

The power and warranty info will be interesting!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-01-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

^I completely understand your point. The Z28 intake I mention is actually a collaboration between GM and K&N. K&N designed the filter, GM supplied size and material specs. Here's the "APPEALING to me" part that seems to be a sticking point here for some reason. GM funds and is involved in testing it. The materials used for the housing are the same grade and quality as the other components under the hood. This may not matter to some, but it matters to me because I also show my car. Having some "out of place" non-matching box stuffed in the corner of my hood is not my idea of continuity. In fact, I hope that "Jake" is not the only option for the cover, I don't have the C7 R, don't want to be a poser. A simple C7 flag will do. So to sum up, it's appealing to me if all bolts fit as designed, all lines up properly, it's all OEM texture and it kicks in 10-15hp (my Z28 is just under 15 RW). Not looking for some out-of-place Frankenstein contraption. Otherwise, my dry Blue filter tucked in my OEM airbox is just fine.

Last edited by LT4CMG; 11-01-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^I completely understand your point. The Z28 intake I mention is actually a collaboration between GM and K&N. K&N designed the filter, GM supplied size and material specs. Here's the "APPEALING to me" part that seems to be a sticking point here for some reason. GM funds and is involved in testing it. The materials used for the housing are the same grade and quality as the other components under the hood. This may not matter to some, but it matters to me because I also show my car. Having some "out of place" non-matching box stuffed in the corner of my hood is not my idea of continuity. In fact, I hope that "Jake" is not the only option for the cover, I don't have the C7 R, don't want to be a poser. A simple C7 flag will do. So to sum up, it's appealing to me if all bolts fit as designed, all lines up properly, it's all OEM texture and it kicks in 10-15hp (my Z28 is just under 15 RW). Not looking for some out-of-place Frankenstein contraption. Otherwise, my dry Blue filter tucked in my OEM airbox is just fine.
Did not mean that because a vendor may do the engineering that is an issue. Corvette has a quality, image and brand standard and the fact that they do the testing does add legitimacy to the product. Particularly any warranty issues.

However Jake has been around since 2004 and I don't associate it with the C7R! In fact the Grand Sport was a race car starting in '63/'64! I consider Jake to be a reflection on the Corvette racing heritage as I do the Grand Sport name.

This is a 4 page PDF that includes a summary of Jake history and why I decided to use it on my Grand Sport, if you're interested: http://netwelding.com/Jake_Emblems.pdf

In fact I have about 12 Jakes I've used and don't consider being a "Poser!" To each their own!

I've got a lot of Jakes!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-01-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

^

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Cold Air Intake coming to 2018 C7

Old 11-01-2017, 07:24 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Here you go:
- High flow filter
- Increased air box volume
- Improved flow design through “ smooth flow geometry”
- Jake logo and clear window

- Won’t void warranty if installed at GM dealership,

Looks to me like a new box housing and filter. The rest uses the old tube and what not.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 11-01-2017 at 07:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ssidekickbp:
Kracka (11-02-2017), LT4CMG (11-01-2017), z edge (11-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Here you go:
- High flow filter
- Increased air box volume
- Improved flow design through “ smooth flow geometry”
- Jake logo and clear window

- Won’t void warranty if installed at GM dealership,

Looks to me like a new box housing and filter. The rest used the old tube and what not.
Dealer install only for an air filter? Geezzzz. They’ll charge $150 to install it.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:36 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Dealer install only for an air filter? Geezzzz. They’ll charge $150 to install it.
That was my first thought, ( “2-3 hours of labor” for a 30 minute job)...

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 11-01-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Factory Cold Air Intake coming to 2018 C7