Sponsored by:

Leather shrinking on 3LT dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:49 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by LBS
Our 2014 Stingray is 10 months out of warranty and the leather around the defroster has come loose and lifted out of the vent. Dealer says new dash is 1800 just for part (whole dash), without installation. Took it to a interior repair shop and they said its not repairable cause there's not enough material.
Has anyone else had this happen? Is it just 3LT?
I expect this from a 15-20 year old car but not 3 1/2 years.
Too bad. I would suggest replacing with the 2LT dash which is more durable--or finding a trim shop that can recover your existing dash with something more durable.
The following users liked this post:
Spyderdale (06-29-2020)
Old 07-26-2018, 10:38 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,724 Likes on 5,600 Posts

Even if the 3LT trim package made sense to me (which it doesn't) I wouldn't buy it just because of this issue.
dvilin (12-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 03:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Too bad. I would suggest replacing with the 2LT dash which is more durable--or finding a trim shop that can recover your existing dash with something more durable.
Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Even if the 3LT trim package made sense to me (which it doesn't) I wouldn't buy it just because of this issue.

I’m not sure if there is a difference in materials between that part of the Vette in a 2LT and 3LT dash.

I had the full 2014 Kalahari colored dash, which I thought looked great. As GM did with every color but Spice Red, they reduced that in 2016 to the current “patch work quilt” look, as I refer to it. I did a lot of searching to find out just what parts of my 2014 were Napa Leather, Mulan “leather” (chopped scraps of leather mixed with the same “stuff” as vinyl) or plain Vinyl. All GM said “in writing” was it was Napa leather on the “seating surface” of a 3LT and “other soft touch materials.”

Recently that was reinforced in a post by someone who was working for GM and said they evaluated what materials should be used where. He said after testing the seat bolsters were more durable with vinyl! No doubT, that is why GM marketing clearly says Napa leather on “the seating surface.” In another post, a person who was interviewing folks at Bowling Green, said they admitted Mulan leather was a mixture of finely ground pieces of leather scrapes (~40% Max) that is made similar to vinyl with the leather used as a filler versus other synthetic “stuff” in vinyl! It’s a “coined name” like Chrysler’s “Corinthian Leather” of old!

BTW, my Kalahari 2014 dash had that color material where some folks show it shrinking around the opening. When I sold it after 3 1/2 years it looked fine, as good as new. Our summers are very hot and at times I parked in the hot sun with the windows closed. I don’t use a sun shade etc. But in fairness I am retired with a part time internet business so unlike when I was working full time, the car does not sit in the sun all day! In fact when it did when working full time I used a small cap car cover on my ‘88, ‘93 and my 2008 Vettes that covered all windows. Never had a dash “material” problem.

Can’t see how any warranty can be expected to cover a warn seat or a dash that could have been sitting in the hot sun. Guess for enough money you can insure any mishap as we have for accidents etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-27-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:33 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Can’t see how any warranty can be expected to cover a warn seat or a dash that could have been sitting in the hot sun. Guess for enough money you can insure any mishap as we have for accidents etc.
[/QUOTE]

what about cars that have been garaged their whole lives and not left out in the hot sun? i have this dash problem, paid $2400 for an extended warranty and was told it is not covered. i’m the second owner and didn’t notice the problem until after i bought the car. the car was already out of original warranty and only had 8500 miles on it. took it to a shop and they wanted $6,000 to fix it. i’ve owned six other corvettes and have never had this issue. my car also has a problem with the rear hatch not popping up enough to get fingers under it to lift it up. took it to the dealer and they told me the warranty wouldn’t cover it because a bracket needed to be replaced and the warranty doesn’t cover brackets. the rear latching system is so problematic that GM abandoned it in 2016 model year and went back to the c6 system. yet owners of 14s and 15s are screwed once out of original warranty. having owned six other corvettes, i’m totally aware of the PIA issues that seem to be a part of these vehicles. but i have had more of my share with this premier edition i now have and i’ve only had the car for ten months of fairly light driving. there is only 12k miles on it.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mmorse

what about cars that have been garaged their whole lives and not left out in the hot sun? i have this dash problem, paid $2400 for an extended warranty and was told it is not covered. i’m the second owner and didn’t notice the problem until after i bought the car. the car was already out of original warranty and only had 8500 miles on it. took it to a shop and they wanted $6,000 to fix it.

[/QUOTE]
I understand your concern. BUT how can someone write a contract that leaves the decision to the dealer as to whether the car was abused! I'm sure if you read the fine print it says it is excluded. It's like paint peeling, got that covered on my S10 after a year but would not expect it after 3 even if I bought the extended warranty. For your used car it could have been left in the hot sun outside a garage one day. Around here on a hot summer day you can cook and egg on the dash!

SIDE BAR
Reminds me of the SC law on license plates. It says NO part of ANY LETTER or WORD can be blocked. If you don't do that it becomes the officer who stops the car and prior to getting out of his patrol car checks the plate number from having to decide IF he can see enough to identify the state etc. Take all that subjectivity away in the law by saying ANY PART.

Similar to tire reparability. Firestone has a clear rule, "A nail in the Outer Tread is considered sidewall and NOT reparable by them." That is irrational for my Grand Sport tires where the outer treads are ~3 inches wide outer and 2 inches inner! That is 5 inches that can't be repaired. As the dealer manager said to me, "I agree where your nail is located it's not a problem but I won't risk being fired!"

At car shows dash pads on old cars are a common issue and often costly and a PIA to repair! If it happened to my C7 I would try the approach I probably posted on this thread. If an upholster shop was too expensive to fix NOT replace, I'd glue it back myself and use some welting to fill the seam across the dash. Your car your choice.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-27-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:00 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,997 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by LBS
Our 2014 Stingray is 10 months out of warranty and the leather around the defroster has come loose and lifted out of the vent. Dealer says new dash is 1800 just for part (whole dash), without installation. Took it to a interior repair shop and they said its not repairable cause there's not enough material.
Has anyone else had this happen? Is it just 3LT?
I expect this from a 15-20 year old car but not 3 1/2 years.
This whole topic is very concerning as I JUST bought a 2017 3LT this Spring. I make a point of cracking my windows and putting in a sunscreen in the warmer months, so hopefully this will help slow the process.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:36 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

typical of GMs quality. This problem with the 3LT interiors was very common on the C6 as well.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
This whole topic is very concerning as I JUST bought a 2017 3LT this Spring. I make a point of cracking my windows and putting in a sunscreen in the warmer months, so hopefully this will help slow the process.
Yep, would not expect a major heat issue I n Chicago! Sold my 3LT C6 after 6 years in Eastern SC and dash looked new. For several years drove it ever day to work but often installed a small cap car cover (when it was not going to rain but common in the summer here to have an afternoon storm so no cap and windows were closed.)

Also traveled quite a bit so it was parked at the airport (as were my ‘88 and ‘93 Vettes.) But all with a ful car cover. Advantage of living in a small town! Would never think of leaving my 260Z in a NY airport when I lived in CT. Similar issue when I lived in OH and was traveling out of the Cleveland Airport about once a week. Only would bring my rag top Jeep and even that was parked with gals who ran a shuttle service to the airport and I would tip to be sure it was there when I got back!

As mentioned I had zero dash (or other issues) with my September 2013 built C7 Z51. Looked new when I sold it 3 1/2 years later. Also parked it at the airport a number of times but always with a full car cover.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-27-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Big Lebowski (08-01-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:01 PM
tadehz51
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorse

what about cars that have been garaged their whole lives and not left out in the hot sun? i have this dash problem, paid $2400 for an extended warranty and was told it is not covered. i’m the second owner and didn’t notice the problem until after i bought the car. the car was already out of original warranty and only had 8500 miles on it. took it to a shop and they wanted $6,000 to fix it. i’ve owned six other corvettes and have never had this issue. my car also has a problem with the rear hatch not popping up enough to get fingers under it to lift it up. took it to the dealer and they told me the warranty wouldn’t cover it because a bracket needed to be replaced and the warranty doesn’t cover brackets. the rear latching system is so problematic that GM abandoned it in 2016 model year and went back to the c6 system. yet owners of 14s and 15s are screwed once out of original warranty. having owned six other corvettes, i’m totally aware of the PIA issues that seem to be a part of these vehicles. but i have had more of my share with this premier edition i now have and i’ve only had the car for ten months of fairly light driving. there is only 12k miles on it.
[/QUOTE]

dont get so frustrated.... and don’t bash this amazing machine we have. I came from a bmw e92 m3, don’t even get me started on that nightmare. We’re in the green and I’ve been blessed with my stingray, even with the problems I’ve had it’s nothing compared to the Germans and the parts and repairs on these cars are simpler and much easier. My cars had 3 owners I’m at 34k miles and it is the 497th stingray made so it was the first ones and it’s doing just fine
Old 07-27-2018, 01:49 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tadehz51

dont get so frustrated.... and don’t bash this amazing machine we have. I came from a bmw e92 m3, don’t even get me started on that nightmare. We’re in the green and I’ve been blessed with my stingray, even with the problems I’ve had it’s nothing compared to the Germans and the parts and repairs on these cars are simpler and much easier. My cars had 3 owners I’m at 34k miles and it is the 497th stingray made so it was the first ones and it’s doing just fine[/QUOTE]

been driving corvettes for 27 years so my love for the car goes without saying. my problem is GM makes mistakes just like every other manufacturer such as the rear hatch release issue and using materials on the dash that can’t hold to even normal use. **** happens, i get that. what i don’t like is when they refuse to make good on known issues such as the rear hatch mchanism for owners that have problems. as for the dash leather, why use materials that are prone to failure under normal driving conditions? you simply can’t assume an abuse situation in every case.

Last edited by mmorse; 07-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Spyderdale (06-29-2020)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:10 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Wasn't this a problem on the C6 as well? I seem to recall seeing that 4LT owners had similar issues with the dashboard glue failing.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:12 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

my problem with the C7 sunscreen IS the C7 SunScreen... the Corvette tax on it is through the roof.what a ripoff. like subsidizing all other vehicle's lol
Old 07-27-2018, 02:32 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dparm
Wasn't this a problem on the C6 as well? I seem to recall seeing that 4LT owners had similar issues with the dashboard glue failing.
my c6 was a 3lt so i didn’t have any dash issue. what i did have with my c6 was the leaking fuel pump problem. and got a notice from gm recently that the same problem is happening with early c7s. you would think they would have corrected the problem BEFORE the c7 was introduced considering NTSA forced GM to issue a recall on the c6 gas leak problem.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tadehz51
im in the same situation. what did GM do? I'm waiting to hear back from them.
They gave me a “goodwill” partial help on the bill. I think we paid a couple of hundred of dollars and they paid $300. They only had to replace one section—the whole section being replaced would have cost over $1800.

Last edited by AttyVette; 08-01-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Big,
Keep an eye on it. Mine's (3LT dash) perfect. Mine sat new outside 15 months in the sun at two Chev. dealers. 13 months in upstate New York, then 2 months in Houston, Texas nefore I bought it. I'm thinking that the failed dashes are going to fail within the 3-year/36 months initial factory warranty - regardless, if they're going to fail. Mine's garaged 100% now..
Big Lebowski (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:38 PM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

The 3LT is way overpriced for what you get over the 2LT. Did not need another reason to avoid it but I just got it.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thgeneration
The 3LT is way overpriced for what you get over the 2LT. Did not need another reason to avoid it but I just got it.
It's only overpriced if you were too cheap to upgrade $$ out of the 1LT - or you paid MSRP for it. Those of us that bought a deeply discounted new or used C7, basically got it free.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather shrinking on 3LT dash

Old 09-24-2018, 03:46 PM
brandoncasey2002
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 23 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPo...ature=youtu.be

Heres a video on this issue, with the cost for repair and who to contact for the fix.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Have you ever considered using a Dash Cover? There are many out there and I have used them for years. They are great if your car spends a lot of time sitting in the sun. They eliminate UV rays and cut down on the intense heat of the sun beating down on the dash and heating up the adhesive. I will buy one when I take delivery on a 3LT in a couple of months. They are easily removed and cost less than $100.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 PM
B-17/B-25 CC
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 251 Posts

My 2016 3LT that I bought used with 19.5K miles last January recently developed the cracking around the defroster vents. Missed the 3 year warranty. Dealer has told me cost would be around $3K to replace. Service guy talked to GM, they will pay 2/3 and me 1/3. I have had them order the dash and will grit my teeth when I give them the check. I knew of this problem when I bought the car (dash looked good then), still bought the car.
Oh yeah, knew about the A8 problems too, bought it anyway, had the flush done a month and half ago, no problems with it yet, but haven't driven it much since due to the weather here. I do have the GMEPP warranty to hopefully cover any more A8 problems

Quick Reply: Leather shrinking on 3LT dash