C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found damage on my new C7 ZO6 I bought last week-what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

ah that sucks man hope it works out for you
Old 11-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Sokam
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. Yesterday they said they would do the repairs I just need to take it back there 400 miles. They offered to meet me half way.

I refused and said the only way it's going back there is if they truck it. He said he would talk to his gm.

Today I got a call to get a quote locally but I need to make sure they don't Jack up the price because the dealer is paying for it. I guess that is fair. I can go to a body shop and tell them I hit something then just have the dealer pay the bill.

Does that sound fair?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:47 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Call Vinnie! Vinnie will call Raul. Problems solved.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I wouldn't do it. You are taking several chances.

1. The guy who loads your car doesn't damage it or try to drive it.
2. The dealer may take it to a hack who does a crappy repair.
3. The car gets scratched and beat on.

I would advise getting three estimates and see if you can get the dealer to pay for it or let the dealer give you a settlement number which may be higher than your quotes. I would not truck it 400 miles away. Dealers don't paint cars. The only other option is to find out who the dealer uses and then check the shop out.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Sokam
Cruising

Originally Posted by traderfjp

I would advise getting three estimates and see if you can get the dealer to pay for it or let the dealer give you a settlement number which may be higher than your quotes. I would not truck it 400 miles away. Dealers don't paint cars. The only other option is to find out who the dealer uses and then check the shop out.
I'm not trucking it back. They are letting me use a shop. It would be unrealistic for them to pay to truck it back which is why I pushed that.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

It sounds like the situation is being resolved to your satisfaction...the selling dealer has agreed to pay for appropriate repairs done by a local shop that is convenient to you.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

gratz on buying it from a standup dealer
Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Sokam
Cruising

I got a check today for 1600$ covering a repair and new paint protection film. The problem is that the body shop says I shouldn't repair it till I'm going to sell it because when autocrossing and tracking it more damage could be done. I might just wait till next fall and see what happens to it.
I told the dealer that I would be completely satisfied with a check and the repair but I don't think I'm going to be. Its always going to be a bandaid and no body shop does good enough work for it to be factory new. Do I have a right to feel this way? Is there any way I could get a factory bumper to be completely satisfied?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp

Ding....Ding...Ding we have a winner.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Sokam
I got a check today for 1600$ covering a repair and new paint protection film. The problem is that the body shop says I shouldn't repair it till I'm going to sell it because when autocrossing and tracking it more damage could be done. I might just wait till next fall and see what happens to it.
I told the dealer that I would be completely satisfied with a check and the repair but I don't think I'm going to be. Its always going to be a bandaid and no body shop does good enough work for it to be factory new. Do I have a right to feel this way? Is there any way I could get a factory bumper to be completely satisfied?
Of course you can! How do you think some of the pickiest car owners----Corvette owners---get their cars fixed? But it means YOU have to do some real homework and footwork. First, search for the best body shops and painters. Second, talk to them in person. Third, go there to do the talking, not email, phone, text, or your girlfriend's uncle's cousin who does painting in the garage at home.

You can take as long as you want; the car's damage isn't going anywhere. In that time, ask and read what you need to do to get the best job done by the best shop and person(s).
Old 12-08-2017, 09:57 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Sounds like you got a fair settlement. Most places won't pay for the paint protection ect done after the fact. They paid for the repair, if you want something else then IMO you can pay the difference. You are going to track/autoX? What happens when YOU cause the damage?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:03 AM
Sokam
Cruising

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Sounds like you got a fair settlement. Most places won't pay for the paint protection ect done after the fact. They paid for the repair, if you want something else then IMO you can pay the difference. You are going to track/autoX? What happens when YOU cause the damage?
I can live with me causing the damage. I just don't like that someone else caused that damage before I bought it. They had to of known that they hit a curb. Plastic doesn't break quietly. Would you give the dealer a completely satisfied?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I can live with me causing the damage. I just don't like that someone else caused that damage before I bought it. They had to of known that they hit a curb. Plastic doesn't break quietly. Would you give the dealer a completely satisfied?
It's doubtful the sales guys knew it was hit. Could have been the parade driver, or lot boy or whoever and the weren't likely to volunteer that information.

Seems like the dealer did whatever you wanted to make it better, which was a check including the paint protection coverage. Which is the best outcome of the unfortunate event.

A good shop will have it better than new. One caution, if you do decide to get it repaired, look over the car carefully now in various light conditions. Bumpers are often slightly different shades than the rest of the car even from the factory, and if you only look at it after a repair, you'll be upset even if the repair is better than factory. If it's just cracked paint with no damage to the panel itself, it is probably a spot paint job with the entire piece clear coated. You'll never see it.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

After a month or so you'll totally forget about the damage. It's pretty minor.

Quick Reply: Found damage on my new C7 ZO6 I bought last week-what should I do?