Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual vs Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:10 AM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Last year I got stuck in a world class traffic jam on my way down to the state of Florida to visit my daughter. It was a few days prior to the Fourth of July weekend and the entire length of Route 95 going through the State of South Carolina was a parking lot with LEOs everywhere. I can’t begin to tell you how many 1-2-1 gear and clutch shifts I had made driving over 180 miles of stop-and-go road but it is a number higher than I can count. After the trip I felt like a cripple when I got out of my car and swore I would never make this trip again. I have driven manuals my entire life but I am finally going to purchase my very first automatic this year. Traffic jams are no fun driving a manual and too many roads now-a-days are clogged with miles of traffic.
Another case for buying an automatic trans is that is has to be easier to sell the car with an auto. Chevy’s own sales stats say that now Corvette automatics out sell manual transmissions by 3 to 1. If you think you may possibly sell your car in the future then this is something you may want to take into consideration.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Campbell (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I've never owned an auto ( wife does) and for me part of the fun of driving is shifting.

Sure,the A8 is quicker because no one can shift that fast.

To make the auto more fun,try the manual mode & learn to be a "left foot braker".Many of us who came up thru kart racing do this naturally when driving an auto.

\db2
Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM
PobreWey
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
No offense, but rush hour in Calgary is nothing like rush hour in NYC, LA or Chicago. At least in the urban NYC area, it can take an hour to go 3-4 miles (except cross-town in Manhattan, where it take 90 minutes to go 1.5 miles) - it is literally a crawl - so you are constantly riding the clutch and shifting in an out of first gear. There are some trips where you might see 2nd gear a half a dozen times in an hour (never 3-7)
I do agree if you can't get away with coasting in 1st most of trip an automatic would make life a lot easier. Calgary has some roads like that however I do believe you that those cities would be quite a bigger challenge
Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by joemessman
The fact your wife may drive it if you get a automatic, I would get the manual.
...and there you go...

Regards
Chip

The following 2 users liked this post by CCA Corvette Parts:
joemessman (01-11-2018), Skid Row Joe (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:57 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I test drove both before placing my order. It was not even close got the M7. Bought my Vette for the times I am not in traffic and that is when the M7 puts a smile on your face with rev match and no lift shift wow.
But if you want your Wife to drive it and you like playing with the paddles get the auto.
Dave Nantz (08-18-2020)
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

It's a personal choice, and mine is manual without question, as it requires more skill to drive the car well.
I have had 11 cars, only 2 were A/T, and those were decades ago...
The A/T on paper is faster in a drag race, but there's real satisfaction in beating an opponent by making flawless power shifts..

For the C7 -
Rev matching is a real plus in stop 'n' go traffic - I was agnostic about it till I used it in traffic and became a fan. The default position is OFF, so I can keep my rev matching skills sharp by not activating it.
The clutch forces in the C7 are very tolerable, but the engagement location/feedback is a bit mushy and has a learning curve

Finally, consider the MT as an additional security feature, as many car thieves can't drive a manual transmission
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

One thing not mentioned in these discussions is that manuals are a dying breed. Tadge has said, "Enjoy them while you can." He suggests that at a certain point the factories will close. IIRC Corvette manual sales are less than 20%. If you count cars sold in the US, it's a whopping 4%. Pickup drivers have already discovered it is almost impossible to buy a manual pickup. Some stripped down "work trucks" still have them, but you won't easily find them on dealer lots. Now that autos get better mpg (it used to be the opposite) it's just a matter of time. Rumor has it that the C8 ME will be a DCT exclusively, so you won't have a choice. So the point is if you think you want a manual, you'd better do it now.

Just added up my own count. If you count the six bikes, it's 17-6 Manual vs auto.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:14 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
If you ever think a manual is a pain, then you are not a hard core sports car driver and should get the automatic.

I never get tired of mine.
This makes total sense. I have owned 11 Vettes, all manuals. I live in L.A., the US capital of traffic. The Corvette is a true sports car, and, FOR ME, a sports car needs to have, what Jeremy Clarkson calls, "a proper manual gearbox." I never tire of using 3 pedals and my right hand.
woodsguy (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:22 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
One thing not mentioned in these discussions is that manuals are a dying breed. Tadge has said, "Enjoy them while you can." He suggests that at a certain point the factories will close. IIRC Corvette manual sales are less than 20%. If you count cars sold in the US, it's a whopping 4%. Pickup drivers have already discovered it is almost impossible to buy a manual pickup. Some stripped down "work trucks" still have them, but you won't easily find them on dealer lots. Now that autos get better mpg (it used to be the opposite) it's just a matter of time. Rumor has it that the C8 ME will be a DCT exclusively, so you won't have a choice. So the point is if you think you want a manual, you'd better do it now.

Just added up my own count. If you count the six bikes, it's 17-6 Manual vs auto.
Big difference between the auto and a DCT. Had it been offered in the C7 I'd have gotten one. However the M7 was the best option for me. The OP needs to drive both to make a decision. Just depends on driving style and traffic. I deal with traffic but as long as I keep my distance I have no problem going 7mph in slow traffic.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

I'm in The Chicago suburbs and I still ONLY would by a manual. But that's just me. Nothing against anyone who chose an auto.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
Big difference between the auto and a DCT. Had it been offered in the C7 I'd have gotten one. However the M7 was the best option for me. The OP needs to drive both to make a decision. Just depends on driving style and traffic. I deal with traffic but as long as I keep my distance I have no problem going 7mph in slow traffic.
The POINT of my post was that manuals are GOING AWAY and if you want one, you'd better do it now or forever hold your peace. OF COURSE you have to assess your own needs. That's patently obvious. But if you wait too long, you will not need to assess anything because you won't have a choice.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
The POINT of my post was that manuals are GOING AWAY and if you want one, you'd better do it now or forever hold your peace. OF COURSE you have to assess your own needs. That's patently obvious. But if you wait too long, you will not need to assess anything because you won't have a choice.
Gotcha. Yes unfortunately I believe you are correct :-(
Old 01-11-2018, 03:06 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I test drove both before placing my order. It was not even close got the M7. Bought my Vette for the times I am not in traffic and that is when the M7 puts a smile on your face with rev match and no lift shift wow.
But if you want your Wife to drive it and you like playing with the paddles get the auto.
I have the M7 and love the rev match. Explain the "no lift" shift. You still have to lift your foot off the throttle when up or down shifting, correct? Maybe I have been missing something.

Last edited by jtranger; 01-11-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Just drove a 14 2lt Z51 manual, very nice. I went to our local high end car dealership and he just got this in and is looking to sell it to me for $47,500.00. I can buy a 17 2lt for $55,100.00 so I have some thinking to do the 14 only has 2,000.00 miles.

I like the rev match it is a very easy manual to drive.

Jack

Enough slacking off I have work to do.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
If you ever think a manual is a pain, then you are not a hard core sports car driver and should get the automatic.

I never get tired of mine.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Blonde or Brunette?

Oh - maybe a redhead.

Decisions, decisions. Decision is yours.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Blonde or Brunette?

Oh - maybe a redhead.

Decisions, decisions. Decision is yours.

I'm working my way through the color chart, went from Blond to Brunette not sure if I want to try Red.

Jack

Get notified of new replies

To Manual vs Automatic?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Negotiated a price on the 2014 7M 2lt Z51.

Very pleased it is gun metal grey, pictures to follow next week.

My 69 will have company.

Jack
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2018, 05:11 PM
GTRSOLO
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Avoid the dreaded "my transmission is shuddering" problem and having to schedule dealership visits to have the transmission "flushed" to supposedly stop the problem and get a manual transmission. Nothing is guaranteed or bullet proof, but this forum is rich with threads about the auto failing, fewer about the manual failing. I wished it wasn't the case, I wanted a auto for drag racing. Not after reading all of the transmission/convertor issues though, I got the manual. It's alotta fun and it may be a bit slower in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile but, less stress about possible issues showing up.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:11 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Congratulations, I think you’ll like the Z51

Quick Reply: Manual vs Automatic?