Oops - another jack failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerrock
I don’t why people try to save a buck
Because not everybody has the ability to just toss $100s around. Many here seem to change cars every few years but others have to be a bit more conservative with their spending in order to have a Vette in the first place. Others simply rather avoid having others touching their cars.

OP - If you have complete coverage, why would this not be covered? I have a friend who's kid trashed the side of the family car in the garage with his bike. Nice deep gouge almost for the entire length of the car. Covered. Why would your incident be any different?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 597 Likes on 350 Posts

papa bear, You are to me ,and I'm being totally honest,one awesome dude!!!!! I'm such a weak person and suffer from OCD and depression. This small misfortune would just show my weaknesses!!! You instead seem to take it ,swallow it and move on to make it right!!! And it will be fine!!! It's a Chevrolet and if you drive your Chevrolet and work on it also we will always need repairs. Get it fixed and drive the hell out of this thing and enjoy it. I will also look for some parts for you and contact you if I have any luck. Good luck to you sir and all your adventures!!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:15 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Get money from insurance and do a widebody conversion.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Here is a tip I use to make sure the jack doesn't leak down, small piece of wood between scissor area. I have had that to happen and this is quick, simple, and safe. I wouldn't recommend using this method if you jack the vehicle up any higher due to the contact at large angle. Beats using jack stands and cribbin up under the car in case jack fails.

There is a jack puck on top of the piece of hardwood on top of jack, used this take up area in jack head that is concaved at bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by bjones7131:
64Corvette (02-11-2018), orca1946 (07-09-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 10:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Pappa Bear
So I don't post much but my own stupidity has brought me out of hiding. I was doing my first oil change today (after my 5 free ones) and to cut to the chase, the car fell off the jack while lifting. I destroyed my passenger fender, rocker panel and door. Its not the first time I lifted my corvette and certainly not the first oil change I have done in my life.

So now I have to swallow my pride and brace myself for my self inflicted repair costs.

Can anyone throw out some estimates for how much this is going to run me and any body shop recommendations in San Diego/Southern California?

On to the main event, brace yourself for some gruesome content:
Sorry about your issue. However it happened to me, just not as much damage. First to answer your question, the rocker panel is sold as one piece that goes up both sides of the fender. The composite part is not expensive but they must blend the paint. When I brought my 2014 in to have the dif oil level checked per a GM letter, I told the service scheduler to be sure they used my jack pads that were in a clear plastic bag on the passenger seat. She said, "Don't worry I will only let them use the alignment rack as we just cracked a Vette rocker panel and I am having to schedule it for repair. Not cheap!" I do my own oil changes!

Although it may be possible for a quality body shop to fix the door, doubt they will and the insurance will pay for it and the rocker panel repair.

JACKING ISSUE:
Been jacking cars for 60 years. Never had an issue until one time with my 2014 C7 where my short arm jack slipped off the jack pad. My only issue was the LG Motorsports carbon fiber side skirt! Fortunately they were able to supply just the one side that I replaced! However I modified my "How To Jack a C7" from that time to include the problem with cautions!

In fact my pic/text PDF starts with the top pic below since I have cautioned about being sure the jack moves in when you are lifting from when I got my C7! In this case I did not follow my own advice!

That was with my short arm jack lifting at it's max lift capability. In required moving in a full 2.6 inches. So when I bought my Grand Sport thought I would invest in a long arm jack. The one from Harbor Freight weighs 95 pounds! In my first use I was lifting on my smooth, tiled garage floor. The heavy jack was not pulling itself into the car! To have a low min lift spec the jack saddle has a very small lip! The jack pad could possible slip particularly if I was jacking on my concrete driveway where the "slip incident" occurred! Decided I would weld on a 1/2 inch higher lip! Now it will pull the jack in! That is not really needed as you just have to place the jack casters to they help the jack move in and look at the jack saddle to jack pad relationship at each lift. I usually did that but this one time! Only takes once!

This is one pic of some 35 in a 14 page PDF on "How To Jack a C7." It covers GM recommended lift points, jack pad types, permanent or removable (need high removable pads if you have side skirts) etc etc. If interested: http://netwelding.com/Jacking_A_C7.pdf

Like you are doing with this post, I try to warn on all my ~35 PDF's of installs, mods etc of issues I encounter.

The issue that broke my side skirt occurred with my short arm jack that needed to move in 2.6 inches at max lift. Bought the long arm jack after and thought that would solve the issue. "Almost did" but as a precaution I added to the jack saddle recess depth!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-11-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:37 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44

(condolences on the damage!)
^^This.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

I'm still trying to understand why this would not be covered by your insurance....it was an accident. You have the right attitude, good luck with the repair. INSURANCE.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:49 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Every one of us has had our bonehead maneuvers, so don't feel bad. Just deal with it and move on.
Two of my best ones, out of many:
- Drilled through a fuel line under the floor panel when installing stereo gear. Luckily it was a project car with no fuel yet added, but I did have to replace the hard line front to rear, what a PIA.
- Dropped a nut in the dizzy hole while doing final assembly on an engine. Had to take the pan off to get it out, which on this car was a 10 hour job.
The following users liked this post:
64Corvette (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

I think this claim would be best filed under a home owners policy. One way or another, if this happened to me, one of my policies would be paying out. That I would guarantee.

Last edited by Jmcdude; 02-11-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,685 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Sorry about your issue. However it happened to me, just not as much damage. First to answer your question, the rocker panel is sold as one piece that goes up both sides of the fender. The composite part is not expensive but they must blend the paint. When I brought my 2014 in to have the dif oil level checked per a GM letter, I told the service scheduler to be sure they used my jack pads that were in a clear plastic bag on the passenger seat. She said, "Don't worry I will only let them use the alignment rack as we just cracked a Vette rocker panel and I am having to schedule it for repair. Not cheap!" I do my own oil changes!

Although it may be possible for a quality body shop to fix the door, doubt they will and the insurance will pay for it and the rocker panel repair.

JACKING ISSUE:
Been jacking cars for 60 years. Never had an issue until one time with my 2014 C7 where my short arm jack slipped off the jack pad. My only issue was the LG Motorsports carbon fiber side skirt! Fortunately they were able to supply just the one side that I replaced! However I modified my "How To Jack a C7" from that time to include the problem with cautions!

In fact my pic/text PDF starts with the top pic below since I have cautioned about being sure the jack moves in when you are lifting from when I got my C7! In this case I did not follow my own advice!

That was with my short arm jack lifting at it's max lift capability. In required moving in a full 2.6 inches. So when I bought my Grand Sport thought I would invest in a long arm jack. The one from Harbor Freight weighs 95 pounds! It my first use I was lifting on my smooth, tiled garage floor. The heavy jack was not pulling itself into the car! To have a low min lift spec the jack saddle has a very small lip! The jack pad could possible slip particularly if I was jacking on my concrete driveway where the "slip incident" occurred! Decided I would weld on a 1/2 inch higher lip! Now it will pull the jack in! That is not really needed as you just have to place the jack casters to they help the jack move in and look at the jack saddle to jack pad relationship at each lift. I usually did that but this one time! Only takes once!

This is one pic of some 35 in a 14 page PDF on "How To Jack a C7." It covers GM recommended lift points, jack pad types, permanent or removable (need high removable pads if you have side skirts) etc etc. If interested: http://netwelding.com/Jacking_A_C7.pdf

Like you are doing with this post, I try to warn on all my ~35 PDF's of issues I have with installs, mods etc of issues I encounter.

The issue that broke my side skirt occurred with my short arm jack that needed to move in 2.6 inches at max lift. Bought the long arm jack after and thought that would solve the issue. "Almost did" but as a precaution I added to the jack saddle recess depth!
I would advise against altering the jack by welding/adding to the saddle recess depth, because all you are doing by altering is releasing Harbor Freight and Pittsburgh from liability if the jack were to fail.

As long as basic jacking safety procedure (as you have described quite well, many times) is followed a jack puck isn't going to "jump" over the 1/4" saddle lip of the 68050.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:15 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I am still at a loss to understand why your auto insurance would not cover this as long as you have collision & comprehensive coverage. I would think this is a prime example of what the comprehensive portion covers, less your deductible of course. If you have collision and comprehensive coverage, I would call the claims line and let them start a claim if you want to go that route and see what they come back with after starting the claim.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,685 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
I think this claim would be best filed under a home owners policy. One way or another, if this happened to me, one of my policies would be paying out. That I would guarantee.
Home owners insurance will not pay unless the car is specifically listed as a covered item in the homeowners policy. I've never known anyone to list their cars in a homeowners policy as it would just be duplicate coverage to their auto insurance.
It's an accident and seems the OP's auto insurance should pay.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:19 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I would advise against altering the jack by welding/adding to the saddle recess depth, because all you are doing by altering is releasing Harbor Freight and Pittsburgh from liability if the jack were to fail.

As long as basic jacking safety procedure (as you have described quite well, many times) is followed a jack puck isn't going to "jump" over the 1/4" saddle lip of the 68050.
Hmm, The jack saddle was removed from the jack when I welded that strip! Has no effect on the jack hydraulics or it's mechanics! Sounds like when I added the CAGS Eliminator GM would not honor the engine warranty! Has to have some relationship! Folks can do as they wish! Reminds me of when I am an expert witness, lawyers and warning label experts can argue anything!

In fact, one pic in my PDF shows you should NOT use jack stands on both ends of the car! Many folks do and at least with that set of jack pads "you were warned!"

I actually follow this warning label advice! Not because it's on the label of this one pair I have (it's not on others) but because it's logical!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-11-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Since we don't know what exact insurance coverage you have on the vehicle it is impossible for anyone on here to conclude it is covered or not. With that said, the op should re-contact the claims dept. of your insurance company and if they decline the next words you say are "please put into writing why it is not covered and what is the exact wording in the policy that excludes the loss" (your policy is a legal contract). It is easy for company reps to say "sorry it is not covered" and really not understand the contract. The area of your contract you are looking to trigger is the physical damage section (comprehensive/collision). Lastly, don't even think about Homeowners because vehicles are specifically excluded and why we have car policies. I state this from having spent my entire carrier in the insurance field.
The following 4 users liked this post by Joe C5 C2:
beaversstonehaven (02-25-2018), kenownr (02-12-2018), Maxie2U (02-11-2018), mcoomer (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

This scares me big time. I usually place a jackstand under the car while jacking up .I adjust the jack stand height as it jacks up. Or I use a second jack under the other jacking puck and adjust both at the same time. I was planning to replace the dusty brake pads this spring myself but maybe not.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

Joe I'm not going dispute what you're saying, you were in the business. It's was an accident, someone has to pay. Homeowners includes liability. If me or my kids accidentally damages someones property, car or otherwise, they're not paying out? Every company is different, and people have different relationships with their agent. Mine will go to bat for me to get this covered. I would think ones history with them, claims or otherwise, may effect their decision.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:56 AM
awright2009
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Should be covered under comprehensive I would think, banks make you buy insurance to protect the asset for just this kind of reason. Just tell them you got hit in the parking lot and they drove off or something, insurance companies look for reasons to weasel out, so don’t give them any ammunition
The following users liked this post:
Z51VetteFan (04-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Oops - another jack failure

Old 02-11-2018, 12:11 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Is it correct that the JACK did not actually fail, but rather the car just slipped off?
One reason I raise mine just the minimum amount possible to do what I need to do, including rotating tires... Note, the flood jack is lifting car just enough to get tire off the ground, then dolly allows the tire to be rolled off...

I also have used a block under the jack cradle just so if the jack does fail the car does not go all the way to the ground and I can get another jack under the car.

It amazes me how some people can do this and the car manages to stay on the jack.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 02-11-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:17 PM
chronage
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0

It amazes me how some people can do this and the car manages to stay on the jack.

I can't get my jack to do that either. The puck starts to angle at maybe half that height and I worry about it slipping off the saddle.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:38 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

I had a jacks wheels sink into my asphalt driveway years ago. When I lowered the car it up ended into the door.. I put in a claim in to my insurance and they sent me the money for the repairs right away.
You might want to call back your insurance, think you said USAA and ask to talk to a supervisor. This is a car accident it should be covered.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 02-11-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Oops - another jack failure