C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a buyback car on Saturday (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:39 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronsonf
Thanks for the response!

I'm out of state and what is tripping me up is "reputable". I can't go to the original dealer since the car was originally bought in Florida, I'm in Louisiana, and the car is now in Texas. Do you just pick one with a good facebook rating?
yes, or check with the local better business organization
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rangerdog1
Let's see NO Warranty, 3rd owner would that make you the 4th owner, why are you even considering such a buy. Way to many C7 around without that history. I wouldn't do it!!
I understand. The main problem is that most owners want more for their used car than a new one would cost. There were deals for $43,000 in December and over 90% of used cars are around that price.

Last edited by Bronsonf; 02-14-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:54 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the response!

I'm out of state and what is tripping me up is "reputable". I can't go to the original dealer since the car was originally bought in Florida, I'm in Louisiana, and the car is now in Texas. Do you just pick one with a good facebook rating?
Are you sure it isn’t a Harvey flood car ? I know you said it was a buy back but sounds fishy to me that GM bought it back for a seatbelt issue . I would find the former owners names , try to locate them and then I would call them — my 82 Corvette that I bought in 1988, I found the owners name in paperwork left in the glovebox. I jotted the name down and searched and located the previous owner. I called them up to see why they sold the Corvette then I bought the car after talking to the owner. Maybe you can do the same as it’s even easier to research and find people’s information using the internet now!
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,933 Likes on 5,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
And why would you even consider buying a buyback car? BTW, it’s called a LEMON.

Do you seriously believe GM bought a car back for a seat issue! Another hint is this car has had 3 owners already. That would make me very suspicious.

As for me, I would never buy a buyback car even at a steep discount.

Run.....
The thing is one person's Lemon can be another person's perfect car. It is amazing how many people have trouble with a car that is their own fault and not the car's fault and when a new person gets the car there aren't any problems. Another thing is the car is fixed and the owner has a snit about things and won't accept anything but a buy back.

Lemon doesn't always mean lemon when it comes to a car that was turned back in, the previous owner may have been an A$$hole that couldn't be satisfied in any shape form. By not looking, not doing your due diligence you may pass up the best deal of your life.

Bill
Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 PM
k_arnold
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts

Any GM dealer should be able to give you the history from the VIN. If one doesn't go to the next one down the street.

Honestly, I have seen buy back cars and issues like "seat belt" to me are more like "buyer's remorse". They bitched to GM to get out of a loan they couldn't afford or a wife who drove them crazy. If the GM VIN check shows this reason also, you may be OK. But be sure to budget some $$ for the unforeseen issues or you may be looking for owner #5.

Last edited by k_arnold; 02-14-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

Originally Posted by AttyVette
Are you sure it isn’t a Harvey flood car ? I know you said it was a buy back but sounds fishy to me that GM bought it back for a seatbelt issue . I would find the former owners names , try to locate them and then I would call them — my 82 Corvette that I bought in 1988, I found the owners name in paperwork left in the glovebox. I jotted the name down and searched and located the previous owner. I called them up to see why they sold the Corvette then I bought the car after talking to the owner. Maybe you can do the same as it’s even easier to research and find people’s information using the internet now!
What are the odds that it flooded and none of the 3 car reports show it? If it floods, it makes more sense to claim the flood than rebuild it yourself right? I'm genuinely unsure.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

We're talking about a 2014 with 27,000 mile, for $43K with a damaged title, with 3 other owners, a 4 year old car with no warranty. Who thinks that is a good buy?
The following 6 users liked this post by Rangerdog1:
AORoads (02-15-2018), Corvette ED (02-17-2018), Maxie2U (02-15-2018), Rebel Yell (02-15-2018), Skid Row Joe (02-15-2018), speedlink (02-16-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

We're talking about a 2014 with 27,000 mile, for $43K with a damaged title, with 3 other owners, a 4 year old car with no warranty. Who thinks that is a good buy?
This is exactly why I want to buy the car. It sold for $57,000 with a buyback title in 2015 and $42,000 in 2017.

It's MUCH MUCH cheaper now.

I was referencing MacMulkin when I put the $43,000 corvettes NEW in December

Last edited by Bronsonf; 02-14-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:34 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Bronsonf;1596594006]This is exactly why I want to buy the car. It sold for $57,000 with a buyback title in 2015 and $42,000 in 2017.

It's MUCH MUCH cheaper now

How much is it now?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 PM
Bronsonf
Instructor

How much is it now?
$1x,xxx cheaper. I kind of want to hide the price since I don't want someone local swooping in and out bidding me. It happened to me last week when I made plans to drive to Florida to buy another car.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

$1x,xxx cheaper. I kind of want to hide the price since I don't want someone local swooping in and out bidding me. It happened to me last week when I made plans to drive to Florida to buy another car.
Hope everything works out for you and you get in a C7 soon. Wish the best for you.
Bronsonf (02-14-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:38 AM
Bronsonf
Instructor

I have now decided not to purchase the car. The guy seems awesome, the car was immaculate on the outside and inside, but I'm going to spend a few thousand more on my dream color, package, and interior since I'm going to have this car for the next 5 years minimum. I think I made an impulse decision after panicking since I'm without my corvette for the first time in 5 years.

PM me if you want me to pm you the listing. It was almost impossible to find and seems like a bargain given that the previous 2 owners didn't pay a discount for the buyback title. Honestly it's a beautiful car in person.

Last edited by Bronsonf; 02-15-2018 at 04:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bronsonf:
AORoads (02-15-2018), blkvet6 (02-15-2018), Rebel Yell (02-15-2018), SyberSaint (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:17 AM
Pzilly
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The vIN number can lead you back through its history, find the original dealer, etc be leary of flood damage. A PPI from a good shop will cost you 300ish (pre purchase inspection) and its money well spent.

Now i have seen this go both ways, twice with a wiring harness, my buddy never could find the issue on one and lost a lot of money, the other truck I ran across he removed the harness, couldn't find anything wrong with it, put it back in, truck ran perfect for then next 80k miles he owned it???? But was a killer deal for how it worked out so it's 50/50 but keep in mind he was a mechanic...labor costs were his own time.

One of my guys took me years ago to look at a buy back Tahoe, (not sure if offical GM buy back or dealer dealing w a cranky customer) issue was it was on its 3rd fuel pump in about a year, talked w the tech and he told me every time it came in the shop the tank was real low on fuel, and he suspected that the owner either couldn't afford to keep it full or just didn't, either way the pump was never fully submeresed and that the fuel helps cool the pump and he suspect thats why they were burning up. At the price he was getting it for I told him to buy it, if it became an issue we could cut a clean access panel in the hatch under the carpet to change the pumps easier and install a stand alone relay if we thought it was a voltage or signal issue, funny thing we never had to do either, he had that truck 4-5 years, treated half tank like empty (I do too) and never put another fuel pump in the truck, guess the tech was right...

keep in mind though all of these were MY 99 thru 06, simpilier times then a modern vette with AFM, ESLD, NPP, NAV, and like 30 other costly acronym systems lol
Old 02-15-2018, 06:42 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,482 Likes on 1,945 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

OP, I appreciate your post with your capabilities to tackle the car(s). But, I also appreciate the rejection of this car by many on this thread and your decision not to go forward with the purchase! Good luck in your search.
Bronsonf (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

There is an old saying that goes like this. "The cheapest Corvette you can buy is the car that you pay the most money for." In other words pay a good price for the car so you don't have to pay for problems later on from abuse, flood, salvage, neglect, poor maintenance or just buying a POS.
The following 2 users liked this post by joeking:
Bronsonf (02-15-2018), Yaupon (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:51 AM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Many red flags here. Lots of good advise. Too many deals on new and used to take a risk on a known Lemon. For GM to buyback the car there had to be extended serious issues.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I know this might sound bad / good, but I meticulously budget everything in my life. The extra $1x,xxx off vs. a new $43,000 2017 corvette could really give me some "emergency" room for any used C7 I choose to buy.
"Penny wise, dollar foolish" may apply in your situation. If you could buy a new C7 for 43K do it. I would hate for you to look back and say to yourself "what was I thinking" when I bought a lemon to save a few bucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a buyback car on Saturday (questions)

Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

2014 is the car to buy. For $33,000 you should buy it. If you don’t buy this car try to find another 2014 or a M7.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:57 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,165 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I realize you're asking specific questions, but just a few questions before my suggestions. You've been on here '13; how much do you actually know about Corvettes? Are you technically savvy?

Now to the questions you asked: where in TX is the car? I'd say you can find a good dealer, or with all the vendors there are there from just CF you should be able to find some of the good ones to ck over the car. It will cost you something (anywhere from $100-maybe $250, but it could be the best money you spend vs. getting a real money pit, dog.

As to ckg the record of the car, if you have the VIN, local-to-you, you can go into any GM dealer svce. dept.(any not just Chev) and ask them to print out the VIS report on the car---it's free. Publish it on here for others to read and comment on. And yes, I'd do all that BEFORE you go to buy the car or even look it over.

Is it just the price that's pushing you to this car? Then ask yourself this question: what happens if something goes wrong (and, of course, it will not be under any warranty) to the tune of $1K, $2K---what will you do?
Just for clarification on the GM VIS report system, it was not designed to be an information base for the general public. It was designed to be a guidance for the warranty claims process so dealers would have a history of what had been done to a particular vehicle and as a data base for the manufacturer's warranty system.

Many dealers are going to be hesitant to print and give a copy to someone off the street of a VIS inquiry. The dealer is absolutely under no obligation to do so and you should not be upset if they refuse to disclose this information. While some dealership employees may well not understand, there is definitely a liability on the dealer's part by disclosing this information to a third party.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

What is the old saying "a fool and his money are easily parted". Man don't be that guy. Keep looking something will turn up in your price range with no issues. Lots of them out there don't panic on this one in fact just move on.

Quick Reply: Buying a buyback car on Saturday (questions)