Sponsored by:

Auto memory recall not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Yup, you now have the problem isolated. Do the long program and you'll be fine.
I must be on the spectrum or something. I can't get it to work. I follow the steps, both in your guide and in the manual. When I turn the key in the truck 5 times, instead of saying "remote learning pending", it just says ready for "remote # 5". The transmitter is in my pocket, not in the car, and it other remote is in the house. Just don't get it.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Slightly O/T, but IMO the C7 manual is "challenging" to use when it comes to tracking down information, but if it is downloaded as a PDF, the owner can search (CTRL-F brings up search function) for relevant terms much more easily than struggling through the paper manual
https://my.chevrolet.com

Last edited by jimmbbo; 02-19-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Slightly O/T, but IMO the C7 manual is "challenging" to use when it comes to tracking down information, but if it is downloaded as a PDF, the owner can search (CTRL-F brings up search function) for relevant terms much more easily than struggling through the paper manual
https://my.chevrolet.com
That's a true story jimbo. I did actually find the page in the paper manual (pg 30) and it "looks" pretty straightforward, just isn't working for me. *le sigh* I'll figure it out eventually
Old 02-19-2018, 02:12 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Transmitters FOBs must be 5' away from the car to do the long program. I think that is in RED ink on the link.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-19-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Wasn't trying to be snarky. Sorry if it came across that way. It's like you said, you ALWAYS set the ebrake in a manual. Just kinda surprised at the suggestion that anyone wouldn't set it
I didn't see his response as snarky at all.

Who doesn't set the ebrake? Me! Occasionally I forget or rather I pull up on the ebrake but perhaps there's some timing window because sometimes it just doesn't take. Perhaps that is happening to you. When you push the ignition switch and the seat doesn't move forward do you see the "P" in the DIC (sounds sexual...) indicating that the parking brake is on? Maybe you're ebrake switch is faulty.

And yes my 2016 will not move the seat forward on ignition if I forgot or mis-set the ebrake when I turned off the car. Personally I think the eBrake should be automatically set at the same time that the exit seat position is triggers. That would be convenient.

Would love to know about the software update to fix this but I don't think there is one. I think the software update is the one for the 2014's and the On Ignition setting. If there is a software update that fixes this please let me know where I can find out more.

I don't recall ever seeing "You are driver #1" in my DIC.

Finally, I don't think there is a #1 and a #2 FOB rather I think that each fob just has a unique identifier. We just call it #1 and #2. IOW we could call it #23 and #45 for that matter.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RonC7
memory setting - there has been confusion over whether to push the memory number button and then save button, or to push both together. I don't remember which method works for which model years - try both ways. You should get a beep when the settings are saved.
The issue could be that there isn't a *save* button rather there's a *set* button. As such it implies you hit that first. IIRC you need to hold the *set* button for a few seconds to "arm" the setting mechanism, then choose either #1 or #2.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:17 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by defaria

Who doesn't set the ebrake? Me! Occasionally I forget or rather I pull up on the ebrake but perhaps there's some timing window because sometimes it just doesn't take. Perhaps that is happening to you. When you push the ignition switch and the seat doesn't move forward do you see the "P" in the DIC (sounds sexual...) indicating that the parking brake is on? Maybe you're ebrake switch is faulty.

And yes my 2016 will not move the seat forward on ignition if I forgot or mis-set the ebrake when I turned off the car. Personally I think the eBrake should be automatically set at the same time that the exit seat position is triggers. That would be convenient.

Would love to know about the software update to fix this but I don't think there is one. I think the software update is the one for the 2014's and the On Ignition setting. If there is a software update that fixes this please let me know where I can find out more.

Finally, I don't think there is a #1 and a #2 FOB rather I think that each fob just has a unique identifier. We just call it #1 and #2. IOW we could call it #23 and #45 for that matter.
The car knows the difference of FOB 1 & 2. It sets memory functions to react to the FOB BUT there isn't a physical difference between 1 - 8. Just that 3-8 don't have memory functions in the car associated with them.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

The issue could be that there isn't a *save* button rather there's a *set* button. As such it implies you hit that first. IIRC you need to hold the *set* button for a few seconds to "arm" the setting mechanism, then choose either #1 or #2.
You can just tap the set button, but then you have to hold 1 or 2 for about 1.5 seconds before it locks in. That's all squared away, I'm just trying to get my fobs reprogrammed now.

I've FINALLY made some progress. You not only have to have your other fob away from the car, when you pull the key out to put in the trunk, you need to have THAT transmitter away from the car as well. I'm waiting on the lovely 10 min cool down now. Will post when I'm all done
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

I THINK it may only show up when you use a different fob as the last time you drove it. The guy that washes my car uses my fob #2, which hangs by the door, to move my car to get my calipers. I usually notice the message when I drive it after he cleans it.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:49 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

And boom goes the dynamite! Thanks to all for your help, especially eboggs!

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-19-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:55 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Master of the Programming regimen!

Not so hard once we figured out the question!

Well Done.

Elmer
Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 PM
defaria
Safety Car

I've FINALLY made some progress. You not only have to have your other fob away from the car, when you pull the key out to put in the trunk, you need to have THAT transmitter away from the car as well. I'm waiting on the lovely 10 min cool down now. Will post when I'm all done
I'm confused. Why do you "pull the key out (from what?) to put in the trunk (why are you putting you "key" in the trunk?!?)".

Any time you bring both FOBs in proximity to the car is a recipe for confusion. My understanding is that the car may notice one or the other as the controlling FOB and the other one will be ignored.

The car knows the difference of FOB 1 & 2. It sets memory functions to react to the FOB BUT there isn't a physical difference between 1 - 8. Just that 3-8 don't have memory functions in the car associated with them.
The car doesn't really know that FOB 1 is #1 rather it's a unique ID that we label #1, right?

Not sure what this 3-8 thing is...

I THINK it may only show up when you use a different fob as the last time you drove it. The guy that washes my car uses my fob #2, which hangs by the door, to move my car to get my calipers. I usually notice the message when I drive it after he cleans it.
If you're leaving your #2 FOB hanging in the door when you try to operate things, I could see the car getting confused.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:04 PM
eboggs_jkvl

I'm confused. Why do you "pull the key out (from what?) to put in the trunk (why are you putting you "key" in the trunk?!?)".

Any time you bring both FOBs in proximity to the car is a recipe for confusion. My understanding is that the car may notice one or the other as the controlling FOB and the other one will be ignored.

The car doesn't really know that FOB 1 is #1 rather it's a unique ID that we label #1, right?

Not sure what this 3-8 thing is...

If you're leaving your #2 FOB hanging in the door when you try to operate things, I could see the car getting confused.

You can have 8 FOBs but the car only designates 1 & 2 to have memory BUT all of the FOBS are exactly the same for the part number so the car picks the first and 2nd FOBs programmed some how they are designated as memory FOBs .. Bunch of fuking magic!

Elmer
Old 02-19-2018, 03:09 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I almost fell on the floor laughing when I read this. Of course, YOU didn't.

OP, glad you got it figured out.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-19-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I do every time. I know from past posts in this forum that there are people who don't. That is how the discussion on memory working with or without the e brake was started. I tested mine with and without the brake being set in order to verify the software operation.

For my 2016, the brake definitely has to be set. Others reported their seat memory worked with or without the brake being set.

I always set my ebrake. Who doesn't set their ebrake??
Old 02-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

I suppose a picture is worth a thousand words. "key" part goes in a key hole just above the license plate, to the right of the trunk release button. It also serves the purpose of unlocking the car if the battery to your fob (or car) ever dies. Oh and as far as WHY you do it, it's part of the procedure to program a key. It's on page 30 of your user manual, or you can read the pdf I linked earlier that eboggs made.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 02-19-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Foosh
I almost fell on the floor laughing when I read this. Of course, YOU didn't.

OP, glad you got it figured out.
Foosh, this just goes to show you that different people get different impressions when they look at the same set of words. It seems as if you are implying your viewpoint is somehow superior but truth be told, my view on this is as valid if not more valid than yours! Another way of saying this is that you appear to be thin skinned WRT stuff like this and apparently easily offended. To me that's not a superior stance to go around in life with.

And as I say, when in doubt ASK QUESTIONS INSTEAD OF ASSIGNING BLAME. It's really that simple. As can be seen here, snarkiness was not the mission of that poster so IOW you were wrong in your guess and rather than blaming him for something he didn't do nor mean you could have simply asked him if that's what he was trying to accomplish which, IMHO, is a much more civilised way to handle this. But instead you choose to assign blame.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto memory recall not working

Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM
defaria
Safety Car

You can have 8 FOBs but the car only designates 1 & 2 to have memory BUT all of the FOBS are exactly the same for the part number so the car picks the first and 2nd FOBs programmed some how they are designated as memory FOBs .. Bunch of fuking magic!

Elmer
I'm still a little confused. Of what good are FOBs 3-8 then if only 1 and 2 work? Or are you saying that FOBs 3-8 work in that they will allow you to run the car, open the trunk, etc. but just lack seat memory? I don't know. I've only ever had 2 FOBs and mostly only ever used one of them.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

I'm still a little confused. Of what good are FOBs 3-8 then if only 1 and 2 work? Or are you saying that FOBs 3-8 work in that they will allow you to run the car, open the trunk, etc. but just lack seat memory? I don't know. I've only ever had 2 FOBs and mostly only ever used one of them.
That's exactly correct. They will fully operate the car, just lack seat memory
Old 02-19-2018, 05:07 PM
defaria
Safety Car

I suppose a picture is worth a thousand words. "key" part goes in a key hole just above the license plate, to the right of the trunk release button. It also serves the purpose of unlocking the car if the battery to your fob (or car) ever dies. Oh and as far as WHY you do it, it's part of the procedure to program a key. It's on page 30 of your user manual, or you can read the pdf I linked earlier that eboggs made.
Oh I know about that key and opening the trunk with it. I had no idea you need to do that to reprogram the key. In fact I didn't even know you could reprogram the key as I've never had to do it. Do you need to both pull the key and open the trunk as part of the reprogramming procedure? That would seem odd.

Anyway, that's what this forum is good for - helping others. Glad you are all set. I love the FOB operation and the only thing I'd like to fix is having to remember to set the eBrake. As I said, I usually set it now, much more than old emergency brakes. But for some reason which I think it's timing related because I alway pull up on the eBrake when parking but I think sometimes I do it too soon. Later when I start up the car and the seat does not move forward I sit for a second and check the DIC for the parking brake light to light up and inevitably it doesn't whenever the seat fails to move forward and it does light up when the seat does move forward.

Quick Reply: Auto memory recall not working