Auto memory recall not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:08 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
That's exactly correct. They will fully operate the car, just lack seat memory
Well you learn something new every day...
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by defaria
Oh I know about that key and opening the trunk with it. I had no idea you need to do that to reprogram the key. In fact I didn't even know you could reprogram the key as I've never had to do it. Do you need to both pull the key and open the trunk as part of the reprogramming procedure? That would seem odd.

Anyway, that's what this forum is good for - helping others. Glad you are all set. I love the FOB operation and the only thing I'd like to fix is having to remember to set the eBrake. As I said, I usually set it now, much more than old emergency brakes. But for some reason which I think it's timing related because I alway pull up on the eBrake when parking but I think sometimes I do it too soon. Later when I start up the car and the seat does not move forward I sit for a second and check the DIC for the parking brake light to light up and inevitably it doesn't whenever the seat fails to move forward and it does light up when the seat does move forward.

To get the car into Programming mode, you insert the key in the trunk opening and turn it quickly 5 times. If you have NO FOBs around the car, it'll go into the learning mode and start with FOB #1, then 2. If it sniffs a FOB anywhere, it thinks you want to add a FOB and that will be FOB #3 without memory recall functions.

That's why when you buy a used car and they give you one FOB, to add a functional memory FOB as the #2 FOB, you must do the long procedure to start afresh at FOB #1.

Oh, you don't reprogram the key, you reprogram the car to the new FOBs.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-19-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:37 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

That would be 2 things you learned today!

Elmer
Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Oh I know about that key and opening the trunk with it. I had no idea you need to do that to reprogram the key. In fact I didn't even know you could reprogram the key as I've never had to do it. Do you need to both pull the key and open the trunk as part of the reprogramming procedure? That would seem odd.

Anyway, that's what this forum is good for - helping others. Glad you are all set. I love the FOB operation and the only thing I'd like to fix is having to remember to set the eBrake. As I said, I usually set it now, much more than old emergency brakes. But for some reason which I think it's timing related because I alway pull up on the eBrake when parking but I think sometimes I do it too soon. Later when I start up the car and the seat does not move forward I sit for a second and check the DIC for the parking brake light to light up and inevitably it doesn't whenever the seat fails to move forward and it does light up when the seat does move forward.
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure you HAVE to open the trunk, but it does make it FAR easier to see the DIC when you're turning the key in the trunk key hole (5 times in 10 seconds).

As far as the ebrake goes, I grew up learning to drive a manual, and got into a car club in my late teens in the army. All those guys bypassed the requirement to depress the clutch to start their cars, so they always left it in neutral and set the parking brake. Got into the habit early of setting the parking brake and not leaving it in gear when I park. In fact, if I ever take it to the dealership or to get a tire patched or something and they leave it in gear... well let's just say there's a lot of lurching and stalling on my first attempt to start it after that.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure you HAVE to open the trunk, but it does make it FAR easier to see the DIC when you're turning the key in the trunk key hole (5 times in 10 seconds).

As far as the ebrake goes, I grew up learning to drive a manual, and got into a car club in my late teens in the army. All those guys bypassed the requirement to depress the clutch to start their cars, so they always left it in neutral and set the parking brake. Got into the habit early of setting the parking brake and not leaving it in gear when I park. In fact, if I ever take it to the dealership or to get a tire patched or something and they leave it in gear... well let's just say there's a lot of lurching and stalling on my first attempt to start it after that.
No **** on the lurching! I set the PB and left it in neutral when I had my M6.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 02-19-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Weird, the parking brake auto release on both my '14 and my '18 M7s worked/works perfectly with just a gentle nudge. Because it works so well, I sometimes don't bother to manually disengage it.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Foosh
Weird, the parking brake auto release on both my '14 and my '18 M7s worked/works perfectly with just a gentle nudge. Because it works so well, I sometimes don't bother to manually disengage it.
That's not what I was referring to. If someone leaves it in gear and I start it thinking it's NOT in gear, I just let right off the clutch and it lurches forward being in gear instead of neutral
Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Who leaves their manual transmission car in neutral when they park it?

Yes, snarky, I know.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-19-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Foosh
Who leaves their manual transmission car in neutral when they park it?

Yes, snarky, I know.
<---- this guy? Why do you need to put it in gear if you use the ebrake? Especially if you're on a relatively flat surface and/or in a garage?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:18 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
To get the car into Programming mode, you insert the key in the trunk opening and turn it quickly 5 times. If you have NO FOBs around the car, it'll go into the learning mode and start with FOB #1, then 2. If it sniffs a FOB anywhere, it thinks you want to add a FOB and that will be FOB #3 without memory recall functions.
Well that's kinda bizarre! I've never had the pleasure.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
That would be 2 things you learned today!

Elmer
Yeah and whew! I don't need to learn nothing tomorrow!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

It's just a much smarter habit to get into using both parking brake and leaving it in gear, and there's no good reason to leave it in neutral.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:21 PM
defaria
Safety Car

<---- this guy? Why do you need to put it in gear if you use the ebrake? Especially if you're on a relatively flat surface and/or in a garage?
Ah, incase of brake failure?

I always leave my in gear, sometimes first, sometimes reverse. Also, if in reverse the secret compartment doesn't open. Of course you can easily shift it out of reverse and open the secret compartment but most thieves will not know that (unless they'are reading here).

Foosh, sorry but your remark was not snarky - it was simply a bad attempt at humor
Old 02-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

No humor intended. it was just a mirror image of a previous snarky response by the OP, when another poster (not me) was trying to help him.

To the OP's credit, he ended up being very polite after my gentle "tip."

Last edited by Foosh; 02-19-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Hey! You callin' me snarky! I'm too damn old to be snarky!

Elmer
Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

No Elmer, you're neither the OP, nor snarky. You're a big-time CF resource!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Much grass amy go!

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Auto memory recall not working

Old 02-19-2018, 08:12 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Foosh how many miles you put on that new car

Last edited by WKM; 02-19-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Only 310 so far in 11 days. We've had several icy days since delivery, but it has seen plenty of rain. I'm trying to be good and avoid rock chips until I can get the front end XPEL-wrapped, but it does have my AS3+ set on, so I'm good to go in cold weather.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Wjereb
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

My problem is that my Lexus sets the Ebrake automatically when you shift into Park. So when I drive the Vette I sometimes forget to set it but I remember real fast when my seat doesn’t go back.

Quick Reply: Auto memory recall not working