Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you grab to close your door?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,218 Likes on 3,459 Posts

back of my knuckles. Not much contact area and seldom oily.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by owc6
You all are missing the elephant in the room:

HOW DO YOU OPEN AND CLOSE THE FUEL DOOR? Nothing in there you can grab and sling shut.
Heads will explode over that question.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:03 AM
Blu-Beast
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

HOW DO YOU OPEN AND CLOSE THE FUEL DOOR? Nothing in there you can grab and sling shut.
I use my index finger knuckle. leaves no mark.
I do the same thing open or close, people at the gas station looked at me weird, but F them
Old 02-21-2018, 01:20 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Steve_R

Originally Posted by Blu-Beast
I do the same thing open or close, people at the gas station looked at me weird, but F them
Not only do I use the bottom of my t-shirt or sweatshirt (most of the time) to push the fuel-door closed, but while fueling, I also will take some paper towels that most use to clean their windshield and stuff it between the bottom of the filler neck and the bottom of the fuel-filler area to prevent any gasoline overflow from getting on the car.

I know, I know...OCD strikes again.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,724 Likes on 5,600 Posts

Of course you don't close the fuel door anywhere near as often as the driver's door.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

What about closing the hatch for non verts? And the targa top - how do you position your hands to remove and put back that targa top?!

I confess right after a long detail, and fresh wax, I have seen fingerprints on places like the door handle and hatch. Nothing that a tiny spritz of detail spray and a microfiber cloth won't fix.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Har-ray
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Open the hatch. Remove left wheel housing. I keep a specially bent wire coat hanger to reach thru and either open or pull fuel door. Works like a charm. No prints at all!💩

Last edited by Har-ray; 02-21-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate@VanBortelChevy
I usually push on the glass directly above the the top of the door where it is most rigid. I use my knuckle to avoid leaving finger prints. It would not bother me if my wife pushed on the painted door. The clear coat is really tough and any marks would come out with a little polish.

I do the same thing, push the glass in the corner just above the door too. I'm not sure why I bother but have been doing it with the Vettes I've had for the past 14 years and is a habit.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 AM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

Fingerprints you say, I just buy an Arctic White Corvette.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by harmonyp
What about closing the hatch for non verts? And the targa top - how do you position your hands to remove and put back that targa top?!

I confess right after a long detail, and fresh wax, I have seen fingerprints on places like the door handle and hatch. Nothing that a tiny spritz of detail spray and a microfiber cloth won't fix.
Opening hatch- push button under dash or above license plate, our hatch pops up enough to get my fingers under the edge to finish opening with no visible fingerprints.

Closing hatch- I hook one finger into the center latch and give it a good swing downward, slamming it just enough that the electric motor takes over and finishes the job. When we traded our 2006 for a 2009, I discovered the interior closing handle had been deleted and I had to learn the "precise slam" technique. Remember that a window or door open greatly reduces the amount of "slam" needed.

Removing/installing targa top- we keep a pair of clean work gloves in the trunk for that. The gloves keep our fingers from being scorched on hot day, provide a better (safer) grip, and also eliminate fingerprints. Use gloves made of leather, or leather gripping surfaces, or with the little rubber gripper nubs. Plain cotton is too slippery.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
I hook my index finger around the inside of that silver metal bracket and sling it shut. Wife does the same. OCD? Nah...just don’t like fingerprints on the door. Plus it’s pretty easy to do...so why not?
Same here. Works great.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:03 PM
GT2BHPPY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcoomer
I'm a silver door latch guy. Saw a post on here where a person was closing their door by pushing on the glass and had it shatter. I guessing you'd have to be near the top and pushing rather hard to do that, but it stopped me from using the glass.
Pushing on the glass can have a cumlative effect and eventually cause the window to shift and then the wind noise increases.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 PM
ChuckerC7
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

With Ceramic coating I just don't worry about it and with the door dogs, opening and closing the door is easy. It's like having a door handle on an old chevy pickup
Or once I'm in the car I just don't get out and head off into the sunset and say Bye Bye!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:54 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

Threads like this demonstrate why Corvette owners have a bad reputation with the general public.
That is true, but the bad reputation isn't demonstrated by the subject of the thread so much as the fact that Corvette owners would actually attack each other for so silly a reason.

With a black car, it really matters (to me anyway) so I use an index finger on the the latch bracket. I am too old and slow to be sure I can get my finger out of the inside, so I fling it from the outside of the bracket.

The fuel door - agonizing story... The very first time I put gas in my new C7 was at the local Costco in Oregon where we still have attendants. I did not realize that the car doors had to be unlocked for the gas door to open. The attendant tried a couple times, then banged on it with the heel of her hand once, and then tried sticking my credit card under the edge to pry. As I was saying, "Don't do that!" I opened the door to get out and the fuel lid opened.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:01 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Har-ray
The oil from your fingers will eventually wear thru the clearcoat. 🤓
"OMG, Sweetie. The oil from your fingers has worn through the clear coat!"

"Damn! Third time this year. It's time to replace the C7 again!"

Old 02-22-2018, 03:55 AM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

I use the paper towel I still have in my hand that I used to wipe off the tip of the nozzle as I removed it from the filler hole to push the fuel door closed.

Quick Reply: Where do you grab to close your door?