C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you like the MRC update?
It's awesome, worth every penny
46.77%
it's good I like it.
32.58%
mehh I can't really tell much difference
17.10%
I want my money back, not worth it at all
3.55%
Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

GM Mag ride update results poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 01:06 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
So what do you suggest, avoid uneven/suspicious surface whenever possible? (deep barrel means really wide contact surface right?)
i am paying attention to the road for holes/debris much more these days. if factory wheels bend again i will look for stronger aftermarket wheel [ if something stronger is actually available] .
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

New to this thread as I just got a new C7 base w/mag ride. After reading all these posts I'm even more confused as to whether to pursue this or not. Not because I don't believe that there will be an improvement but because this seems like such a hit or miss proposition based on dealer ignorance. Why is this such a mystery item? Does GM not send out inter-office bulletins to their dealers/service people telling them what this is and how to handle it? You actually have to show up with the full details on what to do and hope they get it right...( or get it at all) ? And then you have to jump through hoops on a web-site to make sure the update took? And they charge for it to boot? Sounds odd all the way through.

If the original mag ride settings were not correct or optimal than GM should offer this simple plug and play fix as a warranty update. That said I would still be willing to pay $350 if it's handled properly with no mystery and a noticeable difference in ride quality especially in touring mode.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:23 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
New to this thread as I just got a new C7 base w/mag ride. After reading all these posts I'm even more confused as to whether to pursue this or not.
If you have a 2019 or late-2018 you should already have the upgrade installed in your car.

Not because I don't believe that there will be an improvement but because this seems like such a hit or miss proposition based on dealer ignorance. Why is this such a mystery item? Does GM not send out inter-office bulletins to their dealers/service people telling them what this is and how to handle it? You actually have to show up with the full details on what to do and hope they get it right...( or get it at all) ? And then you have to jump through hoops on a web-site to make sure the update took? And they charge for it to boot? Sounds odd all the way through.
I think most of the issues revolved around 2017 and early-2018 GS models, as some early upgrades were erroneously given the Z06 calibration. You can check the status of your current and subsequent calibrations by accessing the TIS website, described in this thread. It's quite quick and easy to do.

Last edited by iclick; 09-18-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 AM
montanaman
Racer

Mine is a 2017 built April 2016 so I am pretty sure I have the old/stock calibrations. I did try to navigate through that web-site but hit a wall at some point and lost interest. I did go to my local dealer here in the sticks and found the "corvette,camaro mechanic" ( or at least the guy who works on the few that come in) and he did know of the update and said that he did one so that's good. He should be able to navigate the process faster than his first go round. He even knew the $350 cost. He then proceeded to try and talk me out of it which was odd. I'm still not sure. I just got the car so I will probably just drive it as is for the remainder of the nice weather and re-visit next spring.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

^^^
The exact procedure was outlined but it must have been on another Thread as I looked here.

There is nothing the local fellow can screw up! It's all done by the folks at the end of the phone that he has to call. There is not part number to order etc.

The GM person asks for the VIN. That defines the software to load. He puts the correct software on for it to be loaded on your car. The local tech just plugs the car in and 30 minutes of so later it is loaded. Guess if lots of folks downloading simultaneously could take longer.

If there was a screw-up it was on the GM side! My April 2017 built Grand Sport worked great, over 6 months ago. I was having to drive in Touring to get a slightly better ride than my 2015 Z51 without MRC. Sport was too stiff. Now I drive in Sport and IMO it's about like my none MRC 2014 Z51.

I also don't need the Vitesse Throttle Control I added to get the response I was used to for 3 years! I now have the Sport nannie thresholds I was also used to. Great $350!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-19-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Chadrad
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Add me to the list of those who are extremely happy with the mag ride update! I'm so pleased that I'm cancelling the order I placed for non run flat Conti's. My reason for switching to a non run flat was purely for the improved ride. I was twice a victim of the bend prone OEM wheels and ended up going with a flow forged wheel from Vorsteiner in hopes they would just stay round. I firmly believe that the harsh ride contributed to my OEM wheel issues.

It feels like a different car since the upgrade. I prefer Sport Mode but the marginal roads around Central Indiana caused teeth chattering, even when I was in Tour Mode. It was so bad that I seriously considered getting rid of my beloved GS. It had gotten to the point that I was afraid to drive outside of my work commute route, where I was able to memorize and avoid the road hazards. These road hazards were no issue in any of my other vehicles and I would otherwise never have even called them road hazards, but for the GS. I love my car again!
Old 09-27-2018, 12:03 AM
montanaman
Racer

Incredible that some have such a different result with this. I'm finding the different modes on my Stingray to be very good and about what I expected from each one. Doing this upgrade seems so hit or miss. It sounds like you have to make sure the "technician" enters the VCI correctly and then click your heels three times and hope that it takes. Let the car sit for a prescribed amount of time and then go on-line to make sure they did it right. I think I'll pass.. If it was such a significant improvement and the old version was inferior I would think that they would just treat it like any re-flash update when you bring your car in for any other service. It can't be a big money maker for them since half the dealers have never heard of it and how many pre-2019 Mag ride cars can there be out there.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:18 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Certainly your choice.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:38 PM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 259 Posts

Just did ‘15 Z51. My understandinf is that for this year the new FW is only for tour and does not change sport mode.

Wow, very noticable improvement in tour mode ride quality. Big smile!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:19 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Z51 and base model get changes for tour and sport, but not track. Z06 and Grand Sport get changes to all 3 modes.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:30 AM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Z51 and base model get changes for tour and sport, but not track. Z06 and Grand Sport get changes to all 3 modes.
Oh, that’s right. Thanks for the correction/reminder.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:50 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Incredible that some have such a different result with this. I'm finding the different modes on my Stingray to be very good and about what I expected from each one. Doing this upgrade seems so hit or miss. It sounds like you have to make sure the "technician" enters the VCI correctly and then click your heels three times and hope that it takes. Let the car sit for a prescribed amount of time and then go on-line to make sure they did it right. I think I'll pass.. If it was such a significant improvement and the old version was inferior I would think that they would just treat it like any re-flash update when you bring your car in for any other service. It can't be a big money maker for them since half the dealers have never heard of it and how many pre-2019 Mag ride cars can there be out there.
Does your Stingray have MSRC?
Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 PM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Does your Stingray have MSRC?
Yes it does.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:22 PM
JT Corvette
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i would be all over it if they made it for track mode as well for z51. Doesnt seem fair we pay the same and get 2/3rds the job.

Plus might lead to significant differences in how the car handles respectively between the modes
Old 02-18-2019, 01:38 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Thinking on wether to do it.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:46 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

It certainly worked for me. A change was IMMEDIATELY apparent in the form of a much looser steering in Tour. In fact, it was disconcerting. I later changed it to force steering into "Sport" Mode no matter what. But where I REALLY noticed a change was over bumpy roads and railroad tracks where it was much smoother than before. If you only drive on smooth asphalt road with no dips, no curves, no bumps from concrete seams, then perhaps the upgrade is not worth it for you. But it is for me.
The following users liked this post:
Formula52 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:22 PM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by mschuyler
It certainly worked for me. A change was IMMEDIATELY apparent in the form of a much looser steering in Tour. In fact, it was disconcerting. I later changed it to force steering into "Sport" Mode no matter what. But where I REALLY noticed a change was over bumpy roads and railroad tracks where it was much smoother than before. If you only drive on smooth asphalt road with no dips, no curves, no bumps from concrete seams, then perhaps the upgrade is not worth it for you. But it is for me.
Interesting that it softened the steering in tour mode. So maybe that is the real purpose of the update. To make tour mode more compliant and plush on bad roads. That might do it for me although I like the steering how it is now.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Mag ride update results poll

Old 02-26-2019, 07:33 PM
EASonBASS
Burning Brakes

Interesting that it softened the steering in tour mode. So maybe that is the real purpose of the update. To make tour mode more compliant and plush on bad roads. That might do it for me although I like the steering how it is now.
You can "lock" steering mode to Sport if you find the updated softened the steering.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:33 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Tour mode steering is too sloppy even before the update.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

My steering has always been set in track mode in settings and I haven't noticed any difference in steering feel.

Last edited by iclick; 02-26-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: GM Mag ride update results poll