Tightening the oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:26 PM
JumpingJackFlash
Account disabled by request 1 Mar 2018

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Another good post which discusses this topic can be found here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ump-specs.html

see posts 2 through 5 which covers oil change in a dry sump.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:38 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Many will have their own system and most work fine. I just spin mine on hand tight then use a strap and bump them about 1/4 and call it good. I would rather err on the side of being a bit too tight than being too loose. After decades of doing them this way I have never had a filter leak or had to destroy one to get it off.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:47 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I thoroughly degrease the filter housing and my hands and tighten as tight as I can by hand, and at least a full turn after the gasket touches.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 02-23-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:53 PM
CdnC7
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone.

I don't mean to overthink this, but since I don't have the luxury of observing you experts actually do this, my analytical mind wants to understand the concept of "gasket touching" that several members have referred to in earlier posts.

Assuming I am initially spinning it on with my fingers and not applying the full force of my hand (not gripping it with my palm), when you say "until the gasket touches" do you mean when it physically touches (but the filter can still spin a bit more using a light finger grip) or do you mean until:

a) it cannot be spun using fingers anymore ?
b) now it's time to either apply the full hand/palm pressure or apply the filter cap/torque wrench

I guess another way of asking is how do you define "until it touches" because when it does touch, you can still spin it some more with very light pressure using 5 fingers.

Last edited by CdnC7; 02-23-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:23 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by C7AW
Thanks everyone.

I don't mean to overthink this, but since I don't have the luxury of observing you experts actually do this, my analytical mind wants to understand the concept of "gasket touching" that several members have referred to in earlier posts.

Assuming I am initially spinning it on with my fingers and not applying the full force of my hand (not gripping it with my palm), when you say "until the gasket touches" do you mean when it physically touches (but the filter can still spin a bit more using a light finger grip) or do you mean until:

b) now it's time to either apply the full hand/palm pressure or apply the filter cap/torque wrench

I guess another way of asking is how do you define "until it touches" because when it does touch, you can still spin it some more with very light pressure using 5 fingers.
I spin the filter on requiring very little force until you feel the gasket touch/seat against the flange (when the filter stops from using very little force, you are there). From that point you will need greater force to achieve the additional 3/4 turn.

I've always found oil filters to tighten as opposed to loosen after installation. Proof is that even though installed only hand tight you can seldom get them off by hand.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (03-01-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I spin the filter on requiring very little force until you feel the gasket touch/seat against the flange (when the filter stops from using very little force, you are there). From that point you will need greater force to achieve the additional 3/4 turn.

I've always found oil filters to tighten as opposed to loosen after installation. Proof is that even though installed only hand tight you can seldom get them off by hand.
I don't think the filters actually tighten, but rather the gasket gets stuck by the heat... another reason to make sure you coat the gasket with oil, or you might not be able to get it off.
I have found that after a few engine cycles, I can still hand tighten the filter a bit, probably because the gasket actually compresses some.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 02-24-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Yep when installed with your fingers and you feel some resistance is where to starting counting the revolution. I look at some lettering on the filter and then turn 3/4 to a full turn. That is with a clean seating surface and a thin film of new oil placed on the gasket surface with my finger.

I typically use a filter wrench but on the FRAM filter for my street rod (only one shallow enough to fit with my long tube headers) it comes with a black high grip textured surface on the bottom so do it all by hand.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-24-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0;1596660969[B
]I don't think the filters actually tighten, but rather the gasket gets stuck by the heat.[/B].. another reason to make sure you coat the gasket with oil, or you might not be able to get it off.
I have found that after a few engine cycles, I can still hand tighten the filter a bit, probably because the gasket actually compresses some.
What I meant by 'tighten' is that they always seem to require more force to get off than applied to put them on, for whatever the reason. At least that's been the case in the dozens I've installed/removed over the years.

I think we may be over thinking this as installing a spin-on oil filter isn't rocket science. My auto parts stores sold probably a million (or more) oil filters over the years and I never remember a customer mentioning an oil filter loosening to a point they lost a significant amount of oil. I believe the limited instances where oil filters leak is more a result of a tech just not caring and keeping his/her mind on what they are doing as opposed to it being difficult to do correctly.
Even if a filter starts leaking you should see oil puddling and smell burning oil long before enough has leaked out to damage engine. Relax guys and just use a little common sense and you will be OK.

For those of you who may need a "cup type" filter wrench, I would recommend carrying your PF64 filter with you to purchase one to insure you get the right size as there's several different 'smaller' sizes.

How about the the C1s and C2s that have the drop-in canister oil filter, now they are a mess and a pain-in-the-*** to change.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 02-24-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

One time I went to change the oil on my step fathers vehicle, one of those old stamped chevy V8 pans for 2piece engines ya know,

the drain plug was so tight it ripped itself and the whole welded section of drain plug threads right out of the pan when I turned it loose.

Just really, doesn't need to be that tight...
Old 03-01-2018, 02:26 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

What I meant by 'tighten' is that they always seem to require more force to get off than applied to put them on, for whatever the reason. At least that's been the case in the dozens I've installed/removed over the years.

I think we may be over thinking this as installing a spin-on oil filter isn't rocket science. My auto parts stores sold probably a million (or more) oil filters over the years and I never remember a customer mentioning an oil filter loosening to a point they lost a significant amount of oil. I believe the limited instances where oil filters leak is more a result of a tech just not caring and keeping his/her mind on what they are doing as opposed to it being difficult to do correctly.
Even if a filter starts leaking you should see oil puddling and smell burning oil long before enough has leaked out to damage engine. Relax guys and just use a little common sense and you will be OK.

For those of you who may need a "cup type" filter wrench, I would recommend carrying your PF64 filter with you to purchase one to insure you get the right size as there's several different 'smaller' sizes.

How about the the C1s and C2s that have the drop-in canister oil filter, now they are a mess and a pain-in-the-*** to change.
All fasteners do that.

The threads do seize a little when torqued. So once you let them sit, it's always going to take more force to remove. That's I think by design, as it's how you keep the clamping force the same. Which is what you actually care about. Torque does't hold things together, clamping force does.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:06 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Thanks everyone.

I define it as just when I detect that gasket contact has been made with just a light finger touch when spinning to that first contact. Then a full revolution after that.

Quick Reply: Tightening the oil filter