Boomy Bass Solved (for me)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:01 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Default Boomy Bass Solved (for me)

In another Thread DAVE396LT1 provided a hint on how to set 3 Tune/Balance tones in Presets and retrieve by just pressing a Preset button when listening to a song with a Boomy Bass. Sounded similar to the **** Bass Control for the subwoofer AMP I had installed on my S10 some years ago!

Tried a number of times to do it without success but persistence finally paid off. Posted this info on that old Thread but since this topic has been an issue since I got my September 2013 built Z51 and persisted with my 2017 Grand Sport, thought I would provide a picture story of what I just discovered could be done. Maybe others knew how years ago but I never saw it posted so thought this would be useful.

Since a picture is worth 1000 words here are three!

90 to 95% of the >1000 songs I have playing in shuffle mode from a flush mounted thumb drive as soon as I start the car were fine with the Tone/Balance setting I use. However for some songs like Josh Stone signing Teardrops, the Bass was "so Boomy" it was hard to listen to the song! Had to lower the volume or skip. As she is a modern Janis Joplin, did not like skipping. A key reason I have the sound system playing all the time in my 2LT Grand Sport Coupe is to drown out road and tire noise so lowering the volume was not meeting the objective.

After I was able to do what was recommended in the previous Thread, my standard Tune/Balance was set as Tone 1, the Preset button on the far right, by pressing and holding that button while on that Tone/Balance screen just as if you were saving a radio station.

To eliminate the Boomy Bass on this song I set the Bass to the far left. There is still Bass but it sounds proper for that song at this level. I stored that Tone/Balance on the third Preset button from the right shown as Tone 6 in this pic. I had stored others but only have these three showing on the top Preset button line. There are two more lines of 6 Preset buttons if you need that many-I don't.

So when that song is playing (or others with a Boomy Bass at Tone 1) I just push Tone 6! To get back, I push Tone 1. If I stop at that setting when I start the car, that is where the Tone/Balance will start!

The trick is to get the Preset buttons to be visible on the Tone/Balance screen. I tried the "sweep your finger up from the bottom" recommended many times. I really can't say I mastered how as it frequently took 10 to 20 or more tries! But when it appears I press a Preset Key and a New Tone number appears.

Perhaps someone has a simpler way but I don't have luck with touch screens. Even on my iPad I use a carbon fiber cloth tipped stylus! Even tried it on the C7 screen. No help.
The following 11 users liked this post by JerryU:
Bavaria (03-08-2018), blkvet6 (03-09-2018), blueray16 (03-08-2018), Borntorun04/17 (03-08-2018), Dif (03-08-2018), DWS44 (03-09-2018), Johnp94 (03-09-2018), Landru (03-09-2018), Makitso (03-08-2018), SD_Dave (03-08-2018), sunsalem (03-08-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:31 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Well if that setting works for you.. more power to ya. I think you’d be better off getting out of the “driver” setting back to “normal” then center the fade and balance. Bose has some strand ideas with the centered and drive settings...

But that’s just me.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Well if that setting works for you.. more power to ya. I think you’d be better off getting out of the “driver” setting back to “normal” then center the fade and balance. Bose has some strand ideas with the centered and drive settings...

But that’s just me.
The specific settings were not the point of this post at all! Been observing the issue of some songs having a Boomy Bass since my September 2013 built C7 3LT. In my case not a lot of the >1000 songs I have playing automatically in shuffle mode when I start the car! It is seldom off! A main objective is to drown out the road and tire noise. The noise is even worse in my Grand Sport Coupe than my Z51 Coupe.

DAVE396LT1 posted his method of matching his songs with preprogramed different Tone/Balance settings but frankly it was not clear as what he did. These pics I hope make it clear what and how to do it.

Has nothing to do with those specific settings, they work for the music I listen to, adjusting the base is song dependent, IMO. I added an amp and subwoofer and built a custom enclosure for my S10 some years ago. It had a remote control **** I mounted on the console. Thought that was a great way to control the base for different songs.

I now have several bass levels but it could be totally different Tone/Balance settings. You just save whatever setting and press that tone button when desired. Can't go to the Tone/Balance screen and make adjustments very easily when a song starts playing! You can push a button!

PS: That pic with the "driver set" occurred because in my attends to get the Preset buttons to display I would hit both of those items! It was frustrating as it took a lot of sweeping to get them to pop up! If anyone knows a better way to get them to display when the Tone/Balance screen is showing- please post!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-08-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:26 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

After reading the many "booming bass" threads, this is how I was able to set three different tone page settings on FAVORITE tabs...
  • Set the TONE controls how you want them to be saved for a given bass level
  • Bring up the FAVORITES tabs by pressing at the very bottom of the TONE screen while swiping up (I was surprised by the amount of finger pressure on the screen and number of attempts required to bring the FAVORITES tabs up).
  • Press and hold the tab you want to assign the settings to till it accepts the entry
  • Go to HOME/SETTINGS page and follow the instructions from 1:05 on this YouTube video .
  • Repeat for each setting you want to change, or change all at once on the TONE page then go to HOME/SETTINGS and rename the tabs (I added three; BASS, MID and TREB, but the only limit is the number of open FAVORITE tabs).

Last edited by jimmbbo; 03-08-2018 at 08:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmbbo:
JerryU (03-08-2018), walleyejack (03-18-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
In another Thread DAVE396LT1 provided a hint on how to set 3 Tune/Balance tones in Presets and retrieve by just pressing a Preset button when listening to a song with a Boomy Bass. Sounded similar to the **** Bass Control for the subwoofer AMP I had installed on my S10 some years ago!

Tried a number of times to do it without success but persistence finally paid off. Posted this info on that old Thread but since this topic has been an issue since I got my September 2013 built Z51 and persisted with my 2017 Grand Sport, thought I would provide a picture story of what I just discovered could be done. Maybe others knew how years ago but I never saw it posted so thought this would be useful.

Since a picture is worth 1000 words here are three!

90 to 95% of the >1000 songs I have playing in shuffle mode from a flush mounted thumb drive as soon as I start the car were fine with the Tone/Balance setting I use. However for some songs like Josh Stone signing Teardrops, the Bass was "so Boomy" it was hard to listen to the song! Had to lower the volume or skip. As she is a modern Janis Joplin, did not like skipping. A key reason I have the sound system playing all the time in my 2LT Grand Sport Coupe is to drown out road and tire noise so lowering the volume was not meeting the objective.

After I was able to do what was recommended in the previous Thread, my standard Tune/Balance was set as Tone 1, the Preset button on the far right, by pressing and holding that button while on that Tone/Balance screen just as if you were saving a radio station.

To eliminate the Boomy Bass on this song I set the Bass to the far left. There is still Bass but it sounds proper for that song at this level. I stored that Tone/Balance on the third Preset button from the right shown as Tone 6 in this pic. I had stored others but only have these three showing on the top Preset button line. There are two more lines of 6 Preset buttons if you need that many-I don't.

So when that song is playing (or others with a Boomy Bass at Tone 1) I just push Tone 6! To get back, I push Tone 1. If I stop at that setting when I start the car, that is where the Tone/Balance will start!

The trick is to get the Preset buttons to be visible on the Tone/Balance screen. I tried the "sweep your finger up from the bottom" recommended many times. I really can't say I mastered how as it frequently took 10 to 20 or more tries! But when it appears I press a Preset Key and a New Tone number appears.

Perhaps someone has a simpler way but I don't have luck with touch screens. Even on my iPad I use a carbon fiber cloth tipped stylus! Even tried it on the C7 screen. No help.
i don t have tone buttons, is that only available on the 2lt and up ?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by walleyejack
i don t have tone buttons, is that only available on the 2lt and up ?
Not sure if it is different for a 1LT. But when on the Tone/Balance screen, like I show in the pics, you will NOT see the Preset Buttons showing.

As it indicated in the last Pic you have to push on the bottom bar and swipe up to have them appear. Someone reported you have to PUSH very hard! That was probably why I had problems. When I finally got frustrated enough with swipes NOT working I probably pushed harder!

They ONLY become Tone buttons when, on that screen, you press and hold one as if you were setting a radio channel. ONLY then does it say Tone and will Start with Tone 1!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-09-2018 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
walleyejack (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:51 AM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

I wish this would work with Android Auto (AA), but I do not think it will, correct? Anyone know?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:02 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Not sure if it is different for a 1LT. But when on the Tone/Balance screen, like I show in the pics, you will NOT see the Preset Buttons showing.

As it indicated in the last Pic you have to push on the bottom bar and swipe up to have them appear. Someone reported you have to PUSH very hard! That was probably why I had problems. When I finally got frustrated enough with swipes NOT working I probably pushed harder!

They ONLY become Tone buttons when, on that screen, you press and hold one as if you were setting a radio channel. ONLY then does it say Tone and will Start with Tone 1!
thank you sir. yes, i have a prob with sweeping also, as the i find it frustrating to sweep the channel list across or up. gonnna smash one of these times.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:48 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

thank you sir. yes, i have a prob with sweeping also, as the i find it frustrating to sweep the channel list across or up. gonnna smash one of these times.
I was surprised at how much finger pressure was required to get the FAVORITES tab to appear from the bottom of the screen, and there is definitely a learning curve on swiping them across the bottom without inadvertently activating a tab

Last edited by jimmbbo; 03-09-2018 at 12:49 PM.
JerryU (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:22 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 508 Likes on 293 Posts

Followed
Old 03-10-2018, 12:12 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
After reading the many "booming bass" threads, this is how I was able to set three different tone page settings on FAVORITE tabs...
  • Set the TONE controls how you want them to be saved for a given bass level
  • Bring up the FAVORITES tabs by pressing at the very bottom of the TONE screen while swiping up (I was surprised by the amount of finger pressure on the screen and number of attempts required to bring the FAVORITES tabs up).
  • Press and hold the tab you want to assign the settings to till it accepts the entry
  • Go to HOME/SETTINGS page and follow the instructions from 1:05 on this YouTube video . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORHRcl-GpUI
  • Repeat for each setting you want to change, or change all at once on the TONE page then go to HOME/SETTINGS and rename the tabs (I added three; BASS, MID and TREB, but the only limit is the number of open FAVORITE tabs).
That is fine if you want to save a navigation point but I'm not interested if not I thought at the 105 mark it was going to tell us out of change radio settings save whatever
Old 03-10-2018, 01:40 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Resloved ! thanks Jerry for the tip on this.
was quit simple, i was reading more into it than what was involved.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:52 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

That is fine if you want to save a navigation point but I'm not interested if not I thought at the 105 mark it was going to tell us out of change radio settings save whatever
You can save, edit and rename addresses, radio stations, phone numbers AND tone settings on the FAVORITES tabs... the video shows how to edit your tab names, his example just happens to be an address... If you create and save the TONE settings in the first three steps, you can edit/rename them using the process starting at the video 1:05 mark.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 03-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.
JerryU (03-10-2018)
Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 PM
elburrito99
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a game-changer for me. Thank you! I often listen to a mix of classic rock, hard rock, and rap, and rock songs need bass boost while the rap songs overwhelm the speakers unless the bass is taken down to the mid-level setting or lower.

Having a single button to push for for different equalizer settings (without having to go into the setting menu and adjust the bass each song) will take my audio experience in the C7 to an entirely new level of enjoyment. THANK YOU!!!

I was ready to go to a stereo installer to see if they could install a push-button bass enhance/bypass like I have in my Bronco.

Last edited by elburrito99; 10-21-2019 at 06:52 PM.
JerryU (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 08:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Yep I added a subwoofer and amp in my truck and the amp came with a remote. For 3 years I lived with skipping some songs or lowering the volume, wishing I had a remote bass control. Then a poster showed this solution without the details of how to do. Several question back and forth and developed that PDF!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-21-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Boomy Bass Solved (for me)

Quick Reply: Boomy Bass Solved (for me)