Sponsored by:

In Hindsight

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM
1cor29
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Hindsight

I purchased my Vette on 2/10 and was ecstatic when I got it. It was about 30 miles south of the dealership and when I decided to buy it, they transferred it up to the dealership. When they pulled up, I was pretty enthralled. I have never owned a Vette before but I've heard of all the amazing things. However, despite the fact I love my Vette, I was mildly disappointed to find out it didn't have the HUD, the NPP exhaust, or navigation. The navigation was pretty disappointing because it was misleading; there is an application for it on the display's home screen, but it's turn by turn directions from Onstar™ which is not what I wanted. Sometimes, you just want to be able to see the map and where you're going/need to go, rather than hearing a voice that you cannot mute, telling you where to go. So if I decide not to continue w/ my trial version of Onstar™, then I won't have any form of navigation. If I were to go back, I would have probably gotten the Z51 package. But nonetheless, I still love my Vette! She's a beaut!

By the way, anyone know what the home page's application projection is? Will that project map from my iPhone if I'm using navigation on the phone?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 PM
taz2016
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Can't help with HUD but Borla or Corsa will put a smile on your face for the exhaust. If you have a smart phone Android Auto is a better bet than OnStar for navigation.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:29 PM
AmazingGinsu
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Apple Maps

Yes, plug in your iPhone!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:42 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Navigation apps on your phone are better than the GM Nav system so don’t get bummed out about not having it.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:08 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Let this be a memorable lesson then. The 3 options you cited are biggies. When you're buying in uninformed haste, this is what happens. You'll know better than to buy in haste again. I'm confident!
The following 2 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
dvilin (03-13-2018), Perf n Restore (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Too bad you didn't notice those things when you agreed to buy the car. With the exception of the HUD, the exhaust can be remedied by a good aftermarket system and the navigation can be done by a cell phone app.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:10 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cor29
I purchased my Vette on 2/10 and was ecstatic when I got it. It was about 30 miles south of the dealership and when I decided to buy it, they transferred it up to the dealership. When they pulled up, I was pretty enthralled. I have never owned a Vette before but I've heard of all the amazing things. However, despite the fact I love my Vette, I was mildly disappointed to find out it didn't have the HUD, the NPP exhaust, or navigation. The navigation was pretty disappointing because it was misleading; there is an application for it on the display's home screen, but it's turn by turn directions from Onstar™ which is not what I wanted. Sometimes, you just want to be able to see the map and where you're going/need to go, rather than hearing a voice that you cannot mute, telling you where to go. So if I decide not to continue w/ my trial version of Onstar™, then I won't have any form of navigation. If I were to go back, I would have probably gotten the Z51 package. But nonetheless, I still love my Vette! She's a beaut!

By the way, anyone know what the home page's application projection is? Will that project map from my iPhone if I'm using navigation on the phone?

Just plug in your iphone via USB port and the Apple car play should connect on its own. Then select Apple icon and you can choose using the the navigation or play music from the phone. Make sure the internet and GPS is on.

If you want the factory NPP, you can always buy it and get it installed at a dealership. If you don't mind other brands, shop around.

The center console has tons of settings that you can play with, I'm sure you already know. I find that adequate for my driving needs.

The Z51 package is great value, but you won't miss a thing if you don't plan to track the car.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cor29

Ahhh buyer's remorse! I know how you feel. After I bought mine, I lamented not looking for one with mag ride. However, the only time I really regret it is when I'm on this forum and all of the members talk about how wonderful it is. I forget all about it when I'm driving around, and I really only keep my car in "Sport" mode, so it wouldn't make much of a difference anyhow. You shouldn't kill yourself over buying a basic model. Most of the bells and whistles are things you will hardly ever use anyhow. The GM nav sucks, as others have stated, and by simply plugging in your phone, you can get perfectly good nav. My car doesn't have HUD either, and I don't miss it. None of the other cars I have are equipped with that feature, and it would be nothing more than a distraction for me. Besides, I think the 8" LED customizable gauge screen is pretty cool. The NPP exhaust is a neat feature, I'm not gonna lie, but I don't think you would be disappointed with a B&B, Borla, or Corsa exhaust for your car. The NPP, for all of its ability to be customized, tends to close and cut out some of the sounds that your car makes. A bullet-style non-NPP exhaust might sound a little more "racy". (BTW, someone else said you can add NPP after the fact. This is false. Your car has to come equipped with it because the computer has to be calibrated for it.) Borla and B&B make a kit that mimics NPP, but again, I think you would like the non-NPP style exhausts better. Z51 is cool too, but on the street, there is very little difference in performance between Z51 and the base model. My dad has a base model, and its mostly the same as mine in terms of driving experience.

Enjoy your car! You made a good decision. The nice part is that you can always trade up in the future if you really want some extra options.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:02 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

All I can say is that this SHOULD have been a much needed (apparently) learning experience for you. Always, ALWAYS fully explore where your money is going and what you are getting in return...

Enjoy your Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To In Hindsight

Quick Reply: In Hindsight