Sponsored by:

Pulling to left

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:29 AM
slant6
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Pulling to left

My 2017 Z51 has a slight pull to left on flat pavement with hands off wheel (Tires inflated to 32psi on all 4 tires).Most dealers NY dealers wont give me time of day since I bought car in NJ (kerbeck).I am afraid to go to local alignment shop since car is under warranty. Car has 2500 miles and tires seem to be wearing evenly.
My questions is
keep hands on wheel and forget about it or call local dealer and make a fuss till they acknowledge me
Thanks Bob
Old 03-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Superstar555
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Every Chevy dealer should honor the Chevy warranty. If you find one that won't, call corporate.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Are you sure the car isn't "tramlining"? The combination of wide, sticky tires, and high-performance alignment not only make the Corvette grip the road, but they make the road grip the Corvette! Most roads are crowned so that rain runs to the side of the road and doesn't pool. Your car will generally pull in the direction of the crown, even if the alignment is perfect. Also, if there is a grain or texture to the road (which frequently happens in your part of the country), the road can grab on to the car and pull it in all sorts of directions. If you're not used to driving a high performance car, this can be quite disconcerting when it happens.

I don't see why any dealer should give you a hard time about checking the alignment. If the car is under warranty, GM will pay them to fix the car the same as they would if you bought the car at their dealer.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Maybe your car has exceeded the time limit when the alignment can be done on the warranty. As for doing the work if you offer green in exchange for their services they will be glad to accommodate.

Does you car pull to the left when you are on the throttle, when you are coasting, when you lift off the throttle? You could have a tire rolling resistance issue, camber pull, caster pull or a thrust angle issue. I don't think of Thrust angle as causing a pull Vs a steering wheel that is off center while the car is being driven. Basically, the car dog walks with the rear offset from the front in one direction or the other. Since you say the pull is light it might not be worth bothering with since any adjustments are subject to how close the mechanic can get the settings and you could end up worse than before.

Bill
Old 03-13-2018, 03:30 PM
slant6
Racer

thank you to both Bills for your responses. The car pulls on flat roads and only to left accelerating or cruising.As far as my definition of(slight) as soon as I take my hands off wheel it starts to slowly drift.
If I am not harming anything i would just assume leave it rather than letting someone make it worse as you said
Thanks BOB
Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

These cars also have PDC.

EPS has a feature called PDC. There is both a short term and a long term component. PDC stands for Pull Drift Compensation.

Short Term PDC compensates for road crown, so if you drive on a severe crowned road and switch to another road with less of a crown the car will pull to the center for a short time (as PDC unlearns). Long Term PDC compensates for alignment, so if your alignment is slightly off after a long period of freeway driving the car will build in an angle (well technically a torque) to compensate for that.

You can't turn off PDC.
The following 2 users liked this post by LT1 Z51:
Frodo (03-14-2018), SilverGhost (06-01-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 AM
slant6
Racer

Learn something new every day!, so a wheel alignment is the cure I guess. Thank You all for your help
Old 03-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
These cars also have PDC.

EPS has a feature called PDC. There is both a short term and a long term component. PDC stands for Pull Drift Compensation.

Short Term PDC compensates for road crown, so if you drive on a severe crowned road and switch to another road with less of a crown the car will pull to the center for a short time (as PDC unlearns). Long Term PDC compensates for alignment, so if your alignment is slightly off after a long period of freeway driving the car will build in an angle (well technically a torque) to compensate for that.

You can't turn off PDC.
Great info! Just got a 2016 Z and noticed this a bit but did not in my C6.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 PM
slant6
Racer

just rotated my tires and problem solved! car now has a slight pull to right but not as bad. Can live with it now
Old 05-31-2018, 11:01 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by slant6
just rotated my tires and problem solved! car now has a slight pull to right but not as bad. Can live with it now
Rotated tires. Interesting.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:43 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Rotated tires. Interesting.
It's in the OM, but having done it once, I won't be doing it again.

Mine felt "floaty" as if the front end was no longer planted. Others have reported things were just fine. I rely on an alignment that is set as close to Zero on all measurements as possible. I don't track, but I live in a twisty road area.

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling to left

Quick Reply: Pulling to left