Sponsored by:

Best to order from Kerbeck or Criswell

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:58 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

The others may be good but I reached out to three of the other forum vendors and just didn’t get the same timely response that I got from Mike Furman at Criswell. He’s patiently and quickly answered every question I’ve had and remained the same before I purchased, when I ordered and in through the process. (I take delivery at the museum next week)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
There should not be any difference in the amount of net sales tax you have to pay regardless of where you buy the car. Get the MSO and do the registration yourself. That's what I have always done if I buy out of state. I bought from Mike at Criswell. I could have saved a few bucks by ordering from MacMulkin but I wanted to make sure the deal went smooth so I went with Mike and I also didn't have to have the car shipped. Good luck.

Sales taxes are due in the state where the C7 will be registered, not in state where it's purchased.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:13 AM
TOO Z MAXX
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

Sales taxes are due in the state where the C7 will be registered, not in state where it's purchased.
Those lucky folks in Oregon and Montana.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:25 AM
Perf n Restore
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 79 Posts

MIKE FURMAN @ Criswell Chevrolet.
Why?
* Mike sells more Corvettes than any one salesman period. That says something.
* My total transaction took LESS than 45 min and I was driving away.
* Criswell accepted my personal check for full payment. No bank/wire transfers/certified checks etc.
* Best communication around, by far. Mike has responded to my emails with 30 min on a Sunday night at 9pm, or a weekday at 7am!
* Extremely knowledgeable, there was not one question Mike could not answer.
* Criswell delivers SERVICE after the SALE = very important, even if you are out of state.
The following 5 users liked this post by Perf n Restore:
elegant (03-16-2018), Len44 (03-20-2018), Mike Furman@Criswell (03-16-2018), orca1946 (03-16-2018), SouthOCBoy (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

A minor irritation with DC Metro area car dealers is their belief that the advertised internet price for a car should NOT include the $995 freight charge. So you think you've found a good deal....and WHAM!, another grand hits you when you go to check out.
Freight, sales tax, tags, wheel locks and a $300 processing charge are additional.
Go North young man, the real volume guys put it all out there for everybody to see.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 03-16-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:37 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

For me a new car,or anything mass produced is (almost) a commodity item.The main diff is price.

I shopped all the BIG internet dealers and gave my local dealer a shot.They were able to beat the others on price PLUS no shipping & only local travel to pick up.

The above mentioned dealers are certainly some of the best.Can't go wrong with any of them.

\db2
Old 03-16-2018, 07:12 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
I personally have dealt with Kerbeck as they are relatively local to me and can vouch for their transparency, honesty and integrity. They without a doubt have more experience shipping cars than any other forum dealer and have dealt with a myriad of situations both good and bad and have learned from those experiences. Another issue that may or may not apply to you is financing. Kerbeck offers one of the lowest rates if your credit is excellent. This alone can save you thousands in the long run. Good luck in your decision. I think your choice is between two reputable dealers.
Originally Posted by Wjereb
Why are you using a private shipper? Order the car & have it shipped to a local dealer that will do a courtesy delivery. Just did that with Kerbeck and my ‘18 Vert went from bowling green straight to Sarasota Florida.
Yep they are close to me, 30 miles from my Courtesy Delivery Dealer in SC!

All 5 of my Vettes have been ordered from Bowling Green and I got exactly what I wanted! The Vettes I bought from Kerbeck were as well! Sure I have to wait a few weeks BUT a Vette is not something I buy when wake up one morning and saying, "Think I'll buy a Vette!"

Most important to me is Kerbeck is the largest Vette dealer for a reason. They were selling (therefore buying) 25 Vettes/week! They have very high allocations so when items are on allocation (i.e. only 25% of orders can have say get a specific wheel, optiob) they can get it. A local dealer may have to wait months if it remains on allocation!

DETAILS
Perhaps more than some others I want a specific color, interior level, wheels and always a standard shift (that limits choices for cars in stock.) For my Grand Sport also wanted the Stage 2 aero option to get full length carbon fiber side skirts (mine are pained carbon flash.) My experience with road rash hitting the lower part of my 2014, solved 100% with full length carbon fiber side skirts made that a must have. Wanted red seat belts an calipers as well.

First, got the same discount as Kerbeck was offering for cars in stock. What they quoted is exactly what I paid. They did all the paperwork and sent paid next day air FedEx envelops for my returned signed docs.

Found a dealer in a small town 30 miles away that accepted Courtesy Delivery for $250 by letting my fingers do the walking! Did not talk to a salesman or even sales manager talked to the fellow in change of finances! He was happy to take the $250!

The Service Manager was even happier! He got paid by GM for the car prep. He also got paid by GM to install the Stage 2 aero option. Turned out the service manager's wife has a 2016 C7! Great guy. They are happy to do the sservcie and ONLY their C7 Trained tech touches Vettes!

Never had an issue with service of my C6 or 2014 C7 with the large Chevy dealer in town. In fact, at 400 miles on the Grand Sport called them up and got an appointment in 2 days to have my alignment set where I wanted! The service folks get judged by GM for their service quality and could care less if a salesman at that distributorship got a commission on my car! I handed the service scheduler a sheet showing where I wanted my camber set (as you can drive a truck though the GM spec, rears are within spec from -0.5 to -1.7 degrees!) He gave the sheet to the C7 Tech in the service bay. I was standing outside the service bay (my usual MO) and he invited me in to watch the Hunter alignment machine screen while he made adjustments when I mentioned there would be a nice tip! Took him over 30 minutes and "only one toe was just out of spec." He could have fixed it in 5 minutes and said all is fine! But adjusted all my cambers and toe to what I specified. My rear camber was set at -1.6 degrees from the factory, great for Tracking (which I don't) but my requested -0.8 degrees better for tire wear. All settings were at my request! all on GM's dime!

Just mentioned, because most dealer service folks don't care where you bought the car (Most Not All!)

Last edited by JerryU; 03-16-2018 at 07:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
direct007 (03-16-2018), orca1946 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

My two cents. I am sure that other dealers have good things said about them. Certainly we all have had less then stellar experiences. I am not going to knock anybody or any dealer in my post. I am going to tell you that I have never had such a great experience buying a new Corvette, or any other car for that matter, as I had with Mike Furman at Crisswell Chevrolet.
There is a difference when it comes to selling a car and that difference is Mike’s passion for Corvette. I can equate the experience to buying a puppy. When someone sells you a puppy,
In most cases, they have a love for the animal . If you have had that experience then you know what I’m talking about. Not only was ordering and buying the car a real pleasure but when I got back to Pennsylvania to get plates the liscense company said they had never seen an out of state car that had the paperwork done as correctly as this Corvette.
Seemless from Maryland to Pennsylvania.
Am I prejudiced? You bet I am. Would I recommend Crisswell and Mike Furman?
Yes one hundred percent yes.
The following users liked this post:
orca1946 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

All of the large forum dealers are reputable and knowledgeable. I dealt with Kerbeck as they were the closest and had a great experience. As previously noted Kerbeck got me a great financing rate.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:10 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Just make sure you find a good dealer for service. Nice to save a few bucks purchasing from the forum dealers but after that you are on your own. Plenty of horror stories on service issues from owners.
I will always buy local and perhaps pay a bit more for the piece of mind regarding service and the ability to deal with people who care about my ownership from order placement to the day I trade it in.
So Van Bortel is the one for me.
Matt@VanBortelChevy (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by orca1946
I almost am ready to send in my deposit to either of these places. Any recommendations will be helpful to me. Thanx to all that help. They are with in $670 of each other. Plycar wants $1,000 to deliver to northwest chicagoland . The difference is how they charge tax for Illinois and cook county.
Are the local dealers not able to come close or match pricing against one of the large volume Corvette dealers? I know the Wheeling IL dealer is a volume Corvette dealer. Some dealers offer perks to customers who purchase from them.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:40 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts

There are lots of places to buy a Corvette....but there is only one Mike Furman.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 AM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

The only choice for me would be Mike Furman. One of the most knowledgable person concerning the product he sells and much more than a salesman. Mike will be by your side long after you purchase a car from him either on this forum or just a call/email away.

And when I moved from Pittsburgh to Phoenix, I had Plycar haul my car. Arrived in two days without issue.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 137 Posts

Another vote for MacMulkin........absolutely the easiest new car buying experience I've ever been involved in, and NO BS!
63mako (04-15-2019)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:00 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

I did my first with Kerbeck. No issues, I drove up with a rental, they met me at the rental place and took me to the dealer to get the car. Quick in and out, saw the little museum they had and a C5 frame, and headed to drive the car back to VA. This was in 2001 or so.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:15 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by grady
The only choice for me would be Mike Furman. One of the most knowledgable person concerning the product he sells and much more than a salesman. Mike will be by your side long after you purchase a car from him either on this forum or just a call/email away.

And when I moved from Pittsburgh to Phoenix, I had Plycar haul my car. Arrived in two days without issue.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 AM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought from Criswell,Mike Furman.
I sent the top 5 Corvette dealers my order list. All came back fairly close,but, Mike was immediately in touch with my total dollar amount.
The time elapsed was exactly 3o days from talking with MIke to actual pickup at Criswell. Mike was very friendly,and, knew his vettes. Some of the top 5 were not friendly at all.
And, I had a nice 850 mile trip back home. By the way, his trade in offer beat the others by a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Best to order from Kerbeck or Criswell

Old 03-16-2018, 09:38 AM
CJZ51
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll add another thumbs up for MacMulkin. Had mine shipped to Des Plaines by Intercity. The buying process was amazingly simple with no additional fees. My car was shipped with the MSO in the paperwork. I went to the Secretary of State, completed the registration and the tax forms and wrote the check right there.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

I always find these type of thread interesting. To the OP, there is no magic answer here. The three popular forum dealers (and there are a few others) are all popular for different reasons. As others have said you can't go wrong with any of them. I'd suggest talking to each and deciding based on what's important to you. That said, here was my experience ordering a 2017 GS about a year ago.

I called Kerbeck a couple of times and left messages. No one ever returned my calls.

I called Mike Furman and we had a great conversation. He was happy to answer every question which I appreciated since this was my first Corvette.

I called MacMulkin and talked with Jessy. He also was super easy to talk to. At no point did I feel rushed into making a decision--the classic "are you going to place an order or not, I'm a busy man" thing you get from a lot of dealers.

Then it came down to price. Mike could do 11% and there were doc fees. Jessy could do 12% and there were no doc fees. This is where you have to decide based on what is important to you. I'm very much a bottom line kinda guy so the decision to go with MacMulkin was easy. Since I was doing museum delivery it didn't matter but MacMulkin also keeps all of their vettes in indoor storage. That would have been my other deciding factor had I not been doing museum delivery.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:20 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Thanks to all that gave me info. I live in the N W chicago suburbs and am trying to find a courtesy delivery dealer around here. Anyone know of one?

Quick Reply: Best to order from Kerbeck or Criswell