Sponsored by:

Toe Hook Capability

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM
redGS12
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Toe Hook Capability

Don't track my Grand Sport but have been looking at toe hooks as a source for tie off point to use in a case where mechanical failure calls for the need of a wrecker. Anyone know if they are rated to be used for pulling that much load up a tilted flat bed wrecker.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tow-hook.html
Old 03-16-2018, 10:10 AM
redGS12
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you. I was pretty sure they would not work for this application but just thought I would solicit the site for info.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

TOE hook:

TOW hook:

The following 2 users liked this post by BEZ06:
///ADMAN (03-18-2018), Boiler_81 (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by redGS12
Thank you. I was pretty sure they would not work for this application but just thought I would solicit the site for info.

I have seen it done and boy did it look scary to me. Like if it let go the result might be something you might see in a scene from Final Destination for anyone standing close to the wire. Why they didn't use J hooks in the chassis I do not know.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:15 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

So, Am I to be worried? I just bought one of those nice looking Red color, in a velvet, see through box, $ 150+, tow hooks at vettemods.???? All show? or will it work?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by bankers1
So, Am I to be worried? I just bought one of those nice looking Red color, in a velvet, see through box, $ 150+, tow hooks at vettemods.???? All show? or will it work?
Work for what? If you're talking about pulling up onto a tilting trailer I would just use the J hooks secured into the chassis holes and a proper tow strap. I would not use the front or rear tow hook to load the car on this.

Tow hooks are for pulling the car out of the sand or gravel trap at the track or when the car has a mechanical failure and needs to be towed back to the paddock.

So if I were really thinking about serviceability on a street car I would buy two J hooks and a tow strap and keep it all in the rear cubby. That way if there was ever an issue and the car needed to be winched onto a tilted flatbed you would have exactly what you need to do that.

Last edited by Racingswh; 03-16-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Work for what? If you're talking about pulling up onto a tilting trailer I would just use the J hooks secured into the chassis holes and a proper tow strap. I would not use the front or rear tow hook to load the car on this.
Tow hooks are for pulling the car out of the sand or gravel trap at the track or when the car has a mechanical failure and needs to be towed back to the paddock.

So if I were really thinking about serviceability on a street car I would buy two J hooks and a tow strap and keep it all in the rear cubby. That way if there was ever an issue and the car needed to be winched onto a tilted flatbed you would have exactly what you need to do that.

I keep a pair of the T-hooks that fit into the frame, in my rear cubby, in case the car needs to be put on a flatbed.

If you go into a ditch or get stuck in mud/gravel/snow/etc, the frame slots may be buried and the "official" tow hook would be needed.
I swallowed hard, paid the outrageous price (even with a good discount) for the factory version, and keep it stored in the slot near the battery. Before buying, verify that your car actually has the threaded hook receivers!

After doing all that, I'll never need it...
Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Before buying, verify that your car actually has the threaded hook receivers!
The OP's car will have receivers. All Grand Sports have the receiver. Also all Z06s and Z51s built after about Dec 1 of 14. Base cars do not have them.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:16 PM
SD_Dave
Dr. Dave
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
TOE hook:

TOW hook:

Get notified of new replies

To Toe Hook Capability

Quick Reply: Toe Hook Capability