2018 Stingray - Sick Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:27 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Have you ever read any State Lemon Law? If you had you would know his situation does NOT qualify.
NJ Lemon law qualifies if car is out 20 cumulative days. If they wait two weeks to diagnose, make a remedy decision, wat for parts and do the work. It could be over 20 days.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Star129
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty

I can understand the dealers view point on the warranty but this dealer sales high end diesel trucks and suv’s 70k+ Wouldn’t you think they might break down away from home too? I guess to play it save we better stay within 15 miles of our selling dealership lol! The car was bought in New Jersey but registered in Texas I’m sure I would have to go by Texas lemon laws. Not sure? Any ideas?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:06 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Star129
I can understand the dealers view point on the warranty but this dealer sales high end diesel trucks and suv’s 70k+ Wouldn’t you think they might break down away from home too? I guess to play it save we better stay within 15 miles of our selling dealership lol! The car was bought in New Jersey but registered in Texas I’m sure I would have to go by Texas lemon laws. Not sure? Any ideas?
Its true that you should be able to count on warranty repairs being made in an efficient, accurate and timely manner, regardless of where it car is being serviced. You paid for it, so its not unreasonable to expect it.
Just know that the dealer is subsidizing the repair and so is the tech, and not just Chevrolet. So don't be surprised if they drag their feet at least a little.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:37 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Click the link. Read the 30 day rule.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law
The following users liked this post:
PatternDayTrader (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 03:52 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Click the link. Read the 30 day rule.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law
Dang ... Interesting read.
No wonder everyone around here is always screaming lemon law.
It takes almost nothing to qualify, even in Texas.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

I believe the OP should check the NJ lemon law since he bought it from Kerbeck. Says 20?Cumulative Days.
The following users liked this post:
blue max (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 04:57 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Dang ... Interesting read.
No wonder everyone around here is always screaming lemon law.
It takes almost nothing to qualify, even in Texas.
read the guide-lines on the first page,,safety hazard?
I wonder it the takata airbag thing wouldn't cover 1/2 the vehicles in texas
Old 04-14-2018, 05:09 PM
blynch67
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

OP, for the record, what was the date your car went to the dealership?

In Texas, add 30 calendar days before you can file under their Lemon Law.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Star, you may want to read the thread I've attached. It is for an owner in Mississippi who bought from Kerbeck AND had a warranty issue. IMO, read Post 1, then go to about Page 4 where "dave@kerbeck.com" starts to post-read his posts.

It would appear those who said the warranty issue is filed in the state where the car was sold, not registered and owned, are correct. See Post #108 for the finale of what the owner did (and I was wrong when I originally posted in the thread that the warranty issue with the car would be settled in that owner's home state, Mississippi).

Good luck, Star. Keep us posted on what you do. Dave at Kerbeck was very active and helpful in the thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ood-story.html
Old 04-14-2018, 07:02 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

What an amazing horror story.
Preventable too.
Shameful and embarrassing.
The complexity of these cars (and many others) is now far and away exceeding the abilities of the typical dealership tech to fix them. This has been brewing since OBD2.
Kind of smells like opportunity ...

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 04-14-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:10 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I think most people who respond to these threads have good intentions. The problem becomes as to how much actual knowledge the responder has about the state involved and the circumstances. I have literally been an involved party in dozens of these "Lemon Law" cases and they are neither simple or easy.

A new C7 is a large investment. Protecting that investment when you are looking at a blown motor situation, becomes very important. This is exacerbated when the vehicle was bought out of state and the selling dealer is not doing the servicing.

The one thing I learned in my experience watching consumers go through this process...HIRE AN ATTORNEY AND DON'T LISTEN TO INTERNET ADVICE! Every area will have attorneys who specialize in this area of practice and who generally will do the initial consultation for little or nothing. Find one immediately, listen to what they say, and take no advice from folks on this forum no matter how good intentioned it is!
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Jackie Chiles (04-15-2018), joemessman (04-17-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 08:18 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don’t think the OP is covered under any lemon law. Reason being, Texas lemon law only covers cars purchased from Texas dealers AND registered in Texas. My guess is that the dealer where it’s at now and GM both know this, so there’s really no incentive for them to hurry.

I too suggest not waiting too long before consulting a lawyer.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:02 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I feel your pain, OP. My car was laid up or should I say up on a lift at my dealer for over 30 days awaiting parts to replace the fuel sending unit, torque converter and stator support. In most states the Lemon Law will kick in at 30 days but it can vary based on where you bought the car. I hope your dealer will step up and at least give you a decent loaner while your car is in the shop being diagnosed and hopefully repaired. I know how you feel. When I went to the dealer and saw the back half of my car completely disassembled I was almost sick to my stomach. But in the end they put my car back together and it has been fine for over 12K miles. Good luck, my friend.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 04-14-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Unfortunately GM has a pretty bad track record with the C7 for various types of engine, transmission and drive line failures.
Pure BS.

OP, I understand the frustration but it will get fixed.

And it won’t hurt anything if it sits outside.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have been through the GM Process twice with two different cars at the same dealership. My C6Z dropped a valve head at Watkins Glen and the engine had to be replaced. I dropped the car off at the dealership on a Wednesday. The GM Rep was supposed to come look at the car on Friday. On Thursday the area got hit with a Tropical Storm that caused a major flood event. The Rep never got to the dealership due to closed roads and a number of dealership employees had flooded homes. Luckily, the dealership was on high ground so it didn't get flooded. That was at the beginning of September. GM told them to tear the engine down till they found the failure and develop a should cost which they did. Since the failure was found when they pulled the head they pushed the car out into the lot and it sat there for 4 weeks before GM got around to approving the repair. It took a week to get parts and another week to get the car into the shop and replace the engine. I got the car back on Oct. 12th right around 6 weeks after the failure.

My daughter's Pontiac Torrent decided to eat its oil pump and strand her on a lonely highway and she had the car towed to the same dealership. It took 4 weeks from the time the car got dropped off until she got it back with a new engine. She went through the same process where GM didn't say anything while they decided what to do. I takes time. A lawyer if we could have found one that would handle a case like that would have been a waste of time and may have actually slowed the process as my experience has shown me people get uncooperative once a lawyer shows up.

Bill
Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have been through the GM Process twice with two different cars at the same dealership. My C6Z dropped a valve head at Watkins Glen and the engine had to be replaced. I dropped the car off at the dealership on a Wednesday. The GM Rep was supposed to come look at the car on Friday. On Thursday the area got hit with a Tropical Storm that caused a major flood event. The Rep never got to the dealership due to closed roads and a number of dealership employees had flooded homes. Luckily, the dealership was on high ground so it didn't get flooded. That was at the beginning of September. GM told them to tear the engine down till they found the failure and develop a should cost which they did. Since the failure was found when they pulled the head they pushed the car out into the lot and it sat there for 4 weeks before GM got around to approving the repair. It took a week to get parts and another week to get the car into the shop and replace the engine. I got the car back on Oct. 12th right around 6 weeks after the failure.

My daughter's Pontiac Torrent decided to eat its oil pump and strand her on a lonely highway and she had the car towed to the same dealership. It took 4 weeks from the time the car got dropped off until she got it back with a new engine. She went through the same process where GM didn't say anything while they decided what to do. I takes time. A lawyer if we could have found one that would handle a case like that would have been a waste of time and may have actually slowed the process as my experience has shown me people get uncooperative once a lawyer shows up.

Bill
Lol ... yes they do.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:42 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

well... reading both of the explanations it would appear the OP could theoretically file for lemon law in either place. I've done it and all it was were a couple phone conversations and faxing. Was offered buyback or $$$$$ and I took $$$$$ becaise it was a lease and I figured why not? Believe it or not after I received my settlement they THEN fixed the truck lol.

op that sucks. Keep your head up. Vent here. And we will be here to talk you through.

making that 1800 lemon call is easy for free advice best to check options. You don't have to talk to anyone at the dealer about a consultation over the phone. Good to have options.

ps. In the nj lemon the pay attention to the word "or" I believe that's how you could NJ lemon law it. Because you "purchased" the c7 in nj.

the Texas one is more vague it doesn't say whether you had to purchase the c7 in Texas? But if you're taking it at face value then you would be covered in Texas also. Because it doesn't say that specifically. A simple call to one of those 1800 lemon people will set it straight.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-14-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 Stingray - Sick Engine

Old 04-14-2018, 10:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Preventable too.
The complexity of these cars (and many others) is now far and away exceeding the abilities of the typical dealership tech to fix them. This has been brewing since OBD2.
While we may not always agree, I do agree with all the items above. I might even go back further than your OBD2 reference. When I first saw the original Beetles pulling into the VW dealerships with burnt up "computer diagnosis" boxes in/near the engine compartment. And no one knew what to do next. Big oops. The simple reciprocating engine had just gotten too smart for the fix to be as easy as the smart people who used to know how to fix them.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:52 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ram_g
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don’t think the OP is covered under any lemon law. Reason being, Texas lemon law only covers cars purchased from Texas dealers AND registered in Texas. My guess is that the dealer where it’s at now and GM both know this, so there’s really no incentive for them to hurry.

I too suggest not waiting too long before consulting a lawyer.
Where does the Texas Lemon Law coverage information come from? I also have read that on this forum but having looked at the Texas DMV website, I cannot find that in writing. It would be interesting to know if that is a fact.

I agree totally about contacting an attorney immediately. It is always the best move to know all the options. Contrary to popular opinion, most dealers could care less if you go the "Lemon Law" route. It costs the dealer nothing as it is between the car owner and the manufacturer. The dealer ultimately gets paid for any warranty work they do and someone shows up to take the car away for disposition.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:09 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Preventable too.
There are about 18,000 new car dealerships in the U.S. Those dealerships do many more than a million customer service events every day. Statistically, over 90% of these customers are satisfied with that service. Can you please explain why every time an anecdotal example of a customer being dissatisfied with service on their Corvette appears in this forum, you declare the system broken?

It is certainly interesting that people with absolutely no service experience are alway the ones who just know there is a better way to do it. If in fact one of these folks really does have a better idea, I would like to hear it. I do have a lot of service experience and would love to be a major investor.

Quick Reply: 2018 Stingray - Sick Engine