Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by IAIA
Hahahah. Now THAT's funny!
Meanwhile, for the rest of us driving with one arm, I had an eliminator on my C5, C6, and now the C7. I found the most likely spot to get messed up without it is when making a slow left turn in traffic, and wanting to shift at around 10-15 mph so have some nice acceleration at the midway point of the turn. But then, dang, have to go into 4th!! It's actually dangerous with people behind you as one post'er mentioned. Yeah, I can power through in 1st, but I just naturally want to shift. I say, get one. (Unless you're in an A8...LOL)
Unless your not handy (or can't skip a Starbucks Latte or two to pay for it) it is so easy to install, for ~$15 a good simple thing to add! No issues with the computer, it just fools it into thinking it activated the blocking solenoid!

Saw one of the young ladies on "All Girls Garage" TV put one in a Camaro in 2 minutes real time as she was waiting for a cohost to bring a part!

WHY IT'S THERE:
It doesn't happen in normal traffic but while in bumper to bumper traffic, in a mall parking lot, etc shift when you want not where the computer decides! It is there to get a few more tenths mpg for the EPA Test GM must run to define the published numbers! If you look at the Owner's Manual for best MPG it says to shift at low rpm's in all gears! In fact it says shift from 1st when the skip shift would occur so it's shift from 1st to 4th. Then 4th to 5th and all other gears at very low rpm's ~1000! I and most others would consider that lugging the engine but the EPA test only requires very slow acceleration, so little throttle! The rate that frustrates you when you're behind someone doing that!

PS: For best fuel economy, the Owner's Manual suggests shifting from 6th to 7th at 45 mph, which in a Z51/Grand Sport is 945 rpm!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-19-2018 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
I Fly Low (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Jerry, you keep repeating that same line, and it's just absolute nonsense.

It doesn't happen in "bumper to bumper traffic, in a mall parking lot" either, where you have no business shifting out of 1st, or if you just can't help yourself, shift at 10 mph. You shouldn't be going any faster than that anyway in any parking lot.

There are only two good reasons to put a CAGs defeat device on a C7: 1) I want it, and 2) it only costs $15.
dvilin (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:46 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

I repeat it because you do with your "Folks are foolish to add one as all you have to do is shift between these speeds if it happens" etc etc!

First time it happened to me in the C7 before I got my CAGS eliminator was when I was in bumper to bumper traffic as that seldom happens and in never happened in my prior Vettes like my C6 as I had installed CAGS eliminators. Car did slow down unexpectedly before I realize what was happening and it wasn't just me getting used to a 7 speed. With folks compelled to look at a cell phone that beeps to see who sent some useless text message, glad one wasn't behind be and had it beep when I unexpectedly slowed!

The over 600 silent majority who viewed this Thread can decide what they want to do! I don't call them foolish if they decide not to and I don't even think your statements are nonsense just that they are not the ONLY logic as you appear to believe!

PS: In our rural area the mall etc parking lots have lots of room on the outside where I park and where there is no moving traffic. I don't have to be in 1st gear!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-19-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Don't put words in my mouth, please sir. I never once said anyone was foolish for installing one. I said the rationale you keep repeating, needed in stop-in-go traffic, parking lots, etc. is nonsense.

I have said repeatedly it's completely unnecessary.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-19-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:16 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The first time I drove the car in the NCM parking lot the CAGS kicked in on the very first shift. 13,000 miles later it has kicked in two or three times and that's it. I bought the eliminator prior to delivery, but never installed it.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
Don't put words in my mouth, please sir. I never once said anyone was foolish for installing one. I said the rationale you keep repeating, needed in stop-in-go traffic, parking lots, etc. is nonsense.

I have said repeatedly it's completely unnecessary.
Him, I see what I and many others do is "Nonsense" but your logical way to handle it is "the only right way!"
Old 04-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

No, you don't see, and don't seem to read carefully. It the rationale you keep providing that's inaccurate. It's not a question of "my way is the only way," it's that you're perpetuating information that simply is not factual or supportable.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

No, you don't see, and don't seem to read carefully. It the rationale you keep providing that's inaccurate. It's not a question of "my way is the only way," it's that you're perpetuating information that simply is not factual or supportable.
I was responding to IAIA's comment who supported it was a potential safety hazard when you jumped in with your comment.
Quoting what IAIA said in post #18, "It's actually dangerous with people behind you.."

If you have not looked in a Mirror it is often your way or the highway!

But doesn't bother me as I will respond!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-19-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Lonegun (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lol ...
Old 04-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Lonegun
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

I put one on my GS, it only takes one near miss to justify the $15 part. Bottom line, I want my car to shift into the gear I want, when I want it to. All it takes is that split second of a surprise 1-4 skip to get blasted. Maybe I need to drive a lil faster, maintain proper RPM, not shift on turns, worry about the wind direction, or did I forget to lock the front door b4 I left home... Duther just keep my mind on driving one of the premier sports cars on the planet and make it home alive.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:38 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Anything unexpected can be a minor mishap or a major problem depending on circumstances. For this reason alone, I could never fault anyone for doing this mod.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Lonegun,

I don't get what you're saying at all. If you hit the stop in the CAGs zone all you have to do is instantly pull it back down into 2nd. It doesn't even take a second, and it doesn't force you go 1-4 unless you allow it.

What the hell are you talking about "getting blasted?" If this is a problem, the "surprise" 1-2 cold shift "graunch" must be devastating.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-19-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

CAGS is much less intrusive on the C7. Mine is a daily driver, including stop and go traffic, and it rarely activates.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:45 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Lonegun,

I don't get what you're saying at all. If you hit the stop in the CAGs zone all you have to do is instantly pull it back down into 2nd. It doesn't even take a second, and it can't make you go 1-4.

What the hell are you talking about "getting blasted?" If this is a problem, the "surprise" 1-2 cold shift "graunch" must be devastating.
I took it to mean the unexpected momentary interruption of forward motion could be a problem in stop and go traffic, due to the people behind you, and or, when pulling out into traffic in a casual manor.
Jmhornz71 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Lonegun
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Lonegun,

I don't get what you're saying at all. If you hit the stop in the CAGs zone all you have to do is instantly pull it back down into 2nd. It doesn't even take a second, and it can't make you go 1-4.

What the hell are you talking about "getting blasted?"
We've discussed this b4, and did not agree. I apologize for the colloquialism. All I'm saying is that the split second the car doesn't do as anticipated, can be the last split second my beautiful car is beautiful.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Wow . . . if something like that surprises you enough to cause you to wreck your car, I don't even know what to say.

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I took it to mean the unexpected momentary interruption of forward motion could be a problem in stop and go traffic, due to the people behind you, and or, when pulling out into traffic in a casual manor.
There is no momentary interruption of forward motion, it's no different than the cold 1-2 shift, or a leisurely shift into any gear when you're just cruising. Now, it might affect one's rapid shift, but I don't think many rapid shifters do so before 20 mph. Now shifting out of first before 20 mph really is an interruption of forward motion.

Am I remembering correctly that you don't have or haven't driven a C7? If you haven't you really need to before commenting on whether you think it really is an issue.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-19-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:51 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Wow . . . if something like that surprises you enough to cause you to wreck your car, I don't even know what to say.
If you really are a pilot, then you know damn well what can happen when something unanticipated occurs.

Get notified of new replies

To CAGS in C7

Old 04-19-2018, 03:53 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

There is no momentary interruption of forward motion, it's no different than the cold 1-2 shift, or a leisurely shift into any gear when you're just cruising. Now, it might affect one's rapid shift, but I don't think many rapid shifters do so before 20 mph.

Am I remembering correctly that you don't have or haven't driven a C7? If you haven't you really need to before commenting on whether you think it really is an issue.
My C4 C5 and C6 cars all have the same thing.
This has been going on since the mid eighties.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

If you really are a pilot, then you know damn well what can happen when something unanticipated occurs.
Yeah like when ATC decides to give me a clearance I wasn't expecting? That could just be devastating.

If that kind of "unexpected event" is enough to cause one to have an accident, they really should have their license revoked. If you really want to be safer, don't shift so early.

My C4 C5 and C6 cars all have the same thing.
This has been going on since the mid eighties.
Then what you don't understand is that it is FAR LESS instrusive on the C7, as Zymurgy said above, and all you have to do is refuse the shift to 4th, and pull it straight back into 2nd just like a normal shift.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-19-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Yeah like when ATC decides to give me a clearance I wasn't expecting? That could just be devastating.
Lol ... that's not what I was thinking.

Quick Reply: CAGS in C7