Seat memory is driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
Mine's auto and I have had problems. The initial set-up worked fine, but when I've tried to fine tune it again, it keeps going back to the original setting. I'm assuming that it's a user error.
FWIW, try using one finger and NOT pressing buttons together. I have found at times if Set is pressed it energizes second, it won’t record.

When you have everything set where you want, press Set and the the desired button quickly BUT second. That can be your memory number or exit. You should hear a chime!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-23-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by flying_vette
Can you post a snippet of that page? My 2017's owner manual doesn't say anything like that...
Here's a pic:

You're right it doesn't say that.

And I can confirm that 2017 M7 Z06, recall works fine without having engaged the e-brake when you turned it off.
There may be different versions of software in the Z06 vs a Z51 which I have. There may also be differences in software by model year. However I can consistently show that if I turn off the car and do not engage the ebrake, when I start it up again the seat will not move forward. And everytime it fails to move forward I wait a while and check the parking brake engage indicator light and it doesn't go on. IOW whenever I fail to engage the eBrake the auto recall fails and whenever I successfully engage the eBrake it works.

Let me add that I also had issues with auto-recall feature but it started working once I changed the exit position from all the way back to couple of inches short.
This is another failure mode for auto recall. If you move your seat all the way back there is a sensor back there that will stop the auto recall because you moved the seat too far back. I tried setting it by going all the way back then forward and inch or two. It would work, most times, but then sometimes fail. So I disengaged the sensor.

To recap, for a Z51, M7, 2016: If you do not engage the the eBrake auto recall will not work and if you have the sensor behind the seat on and have moved the exit position all the way back it will not work.

Last edited by defaria; 04-23-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:56 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VettinFan
If you are the primary driver you can try doing what I did. Program both FOB's the SAME settings. The memory will not get confused between FOB's 'cause the settings are the same. Did this months ago and it has been perfect. Did the same thing on our Caddy where the wife is the primary driver and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Good Luck
I'm the only driver and I leave FOB #2 in my apartment as a backup. Still I can reproduce the problem using either method described above (do not engage eBrake or connect sensor behind the seat and set the exit position too far back). Aside from that it works every time.

I need to program FOB #2 to be == FOB #1. FOB #1 seems to be loosing it's battery juice and I'm hoping FOB #2 will get me by until I get that fixed.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There was another thread on this exact same thing about 2 weeks ago.

Very intermittent system. I've reset mine numerous times and it works about 75% of the time as it should, and doesn't the rest of the time.

Today it worked perfectly, 3 out of 4 starts. One time leaving the grocery store, didn't work..... had to hold down the 1 button until it moved where it should.

Very hit or miss
Old 04-23-2018, 05:03 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
Mine's auto and I have had problems. The initial set-up worked fine, but when I've tried to fine tune it again, it keeps going back to the original setting. I'm assuming that it's a user error.
Mine kept doing that too. I was under the impression that I could make changes while in accessory mode but it wouldn't work. I've found that my car has to be running to be able to set the settings.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by FunDriver
Mine kept doing that too. I was under the impression that I could make changes while in accessory mode but it wouldn't work. I've found that my car has to be running to be able to set the settings.
Actually you can hold the start button for about 10 seconds without foot on brake or clutch to wake up the system. Car won't start but you can play with settings.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:46 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

Okay. I'm guessing with the M7 it's a requirement for it to work. Not setting mine is the only thing that will make it fail.
My M7 memory seats work without the brake set. When I set the seat too far back, I had a problem. But, When I set it further forward, it has worked consistently.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:57 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray

My M7 memory seats work without the brake set. When I set the seat too far back, I had a problem. But, When I set it further forward, it has worked consistently.
Very interesting as it says it's a requirement in the manual and it's the only time mine fails.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:22 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Strake
There was another thread on this exact same thing about 2 weeks ago.

Very intermittent system. I've reset mine numerous times and it works about 75% of the time as it should, and doesn't the rest of the time.

Today it worked perfectly, 3 out of 4 starts. One time leaving the grocery store, didn't work..... had to hold down the 1 button until it moved where it should.

Very hit or miss
If you've fixed the problem where you set the exit position to be too far back, either by not setting the exit postiion to the very back but rather move it up an inch or two, or if you've disabled the sensor then at least for me it works every time except when I fail to set the eBrake!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Very interesting as it says it's a requirement in the manual and it's the only time mine fails.
Where exactly?

I said it before and I'll say it again - the C7 M7 should set the eBrake automatically whenever the car is turned off and the driver is exiting - pretty much at the same time as when it triggers the exit position. Then people wouldn't forget and also you'd always have your eBrake set. As an override you should be able release the eBrake after this should you insist on having the eBrake not on (like say a push start or something like that).
Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,157 Likes on 897 Posts

Can you post a snippet of that page? My 2017's owner manual doesn't say anything like that...
And I can confirm that 2017 M7 Z06, recall works fine without having engaged the e-brake when you turned it off.
Let me add that I also had issues with auto-recall feature but it started working once I changed the exit position from all the way back to couple of inches short.
Check the 2018 manual page 60. I'm computer challenged
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

There was a thread on this a couple of years ago. There must have been a running change to the software at some point. In the old thread, some owners posted setting the brake was a requirement and other said in their car it was not. In my 2016 M7, I have to set the brake for the memory seats to work. I have tried it several times with and without the brake. If the brake is not set, the memory will not work. With the brake set, it works every time.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
I never set the park brake unless on an incline with an A8.
Really bad idea. You are putting the entire load (and force) on the transmission.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Really bad idea. You are putting the entire load (and force) on the transmission.
It ain't going anywhere on flat ground.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 AM
jmagilto
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Incredible

Mine never worked in my 2014. the exact problem described. I even asked the dealer to look at it when they were replacing the dash under warranty. They said working as designed. :o(

I followed the instructions from the video - and it works!

Figures that someone just had to RTFM!

Last edited by jmagilto; 04-24-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
Page 60 of the manual says parking brake must be on for manual and be in park for automatic.
Looked at the 2018 Owner's Manual (all are available as PDFs) to see if it said something different: Here is the page:
Did not take the time to reformat (my usual MO) but put in RED some critical comments as I see them-different that that video!

"Vehicle Personalization Settings
To have the Auto Memory Recall
movement begin when the
vehicle is started, select the
Settings menu, then Vehicle,
then Comfort and Convenience,
and then Auto Memory Recall.
Select On or Off. See “Auto
Memory Recall” later in this
section.
. To begin Easy Exit Recall
movement when the ignition is
turned off and the driver door is
opened, or when the ignition is
turned off with the driver door
already opened, select the
Settings menu, then Vehicle,
then Comfort and Convenience,
and then Easy Exit Options.
Select On or Off. See “Easy Exit
Recall” later in this section.
. See Vehicle Personalization
0 124 for additional setting
information.
Identifying Driver Number
To identify the driver number:
1. Start the vehicle with the other
key or RKE transmitter. The
DIC should display the driver
number; 1 or 2. Turn the
ignition off and remove the key
or RKE transmitter from the
vehicle.
2. Start the vehicle with the initial
key or RKE transmitter. The
DIC should display the other
driver number not shown in
step 1.
Saving Memory Positions
Read these instructions completely
before saving memory positions.
To save preferred driving positions
1 and 2:
1. Turn the ignition on or to ACC/
ACCESSORY.

A DIC welcome message may
be displayed indicating number
1 or 2 for memory recalls.
2. Adjust all available memory
features to the desired driving
position.
3. Press and release SET; a beep
will sound.
4. Immediately press and hold the
1 or 2 memory button matching
the above DIC welcome
message until two beeps
sound.

If too much time passes
between releasing SET and
pressing 1, the memory
position will not be saved and
two beeps will not sound,
repeat steps 3 and 4.
1 or 2 corresponds to the driver
number. See “Identifying Driver
Number” in this section.
5. Repeat Steps 1–4 for a second
driver using 1 or 2.
To save positions forBand easy
exit features, repeat Steps 1–4
usingB. This stores the positions
for getting out of the vehicle."

Note: The instructions say to do what I do, NOT what is in the video! Push SET first then quickly what you are setting, i.e. a memory seat number or an EXIT setting. As I had found, if you press both at the same time it is possible depending on which button sends a signal first that it is done in reverse order and the setting IS NOT MEMORIZED.

PS: I see nothing about the parking brake etc. In fact as I posted previously, I set my seat in a new position while driving using one finger to hit 1st SET then my memory #1. I listen for the beep!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-24-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:41 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Here is a compare snippet of 2017 and 2018 Owner Manual about auto recall, clearly more details in 2018 manual. Not sure if this means they changed the software in 2018 that changed the auto recall behavior. Auto recall works in my 2017 Z06 without having set the e-brake.
Attached Images  

Last edited by flying_vette; 04-24-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 AM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Thank you flying vette. You really have to read the whole manual.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Here is a compare snippet of 2017 and 2018 Owner Manual about auto recall, clearly more details in 2018 manual. Not sure if this means they changed the software in 2018 that changed the auto recall behavior. Auto recall works in my 2017 Z06 without having set the e-brake.
Is your Z06 an automatic?

(And why is it I can't seem to get past page 2 of this thread. Any attempt to do so only displays page 2. I Click on 3 or 4 or next or last page for the thread and all I see is page 2. Weird).
Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 AM
jonnys07
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that by moving the seat forward a 1/2" on the exit setting fixed the issue. So far so good. Thanks to all on this problem. Jon.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (04-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Seat memory is driving me crazy!