Covering that d*mn chrome strip on my grille

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
SIDE ISSUE:
I find it funny when a product like this selling for ~$140 is called Corvette Tax! I often address young folks who granulate from a 2 year welding school, many of whom want to start their own business! I encourage them to take a course in finance as many small business start-ups go broke because they don't understand costs and pricing!
I usually see your comments and learn...but this is one I can't agree with. If identical products (let's go with tape here) are sold on the public market - where one says "made special for your Corvette" at $25.00 and the other is "not special" but identical at $10.00 ... what is there to understand about costs and pricing? That finance course you're talking about should have addressed "markup" as well to keep those start-ups in business. Here's my $10.00 solution...doesn't look any different from the $140.00 solution. I just wish Corvette had not added the braces (regardless of what throwback there is).

Old 04-24-2018, 01:02 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^^
Did not mean if you could apply properly and were pleased with tape, black liquid plastic coating or black paint, that this molded part is not significantly more money. I was referring to thinking that for what you are getting the price is too high.

I like low cost solutions such as my cup holder mod that costs some glue and felt pads, my gas bib cut from some reinforced rubber etc. Guess I should have made that clear.

I also emphasize to young welding folks they must have a unique product or service (or patent) or someone will have the same offering at a lower price. In this case the low cost tape, painting or liquid plastic are low cost alternatives and IMO why volumes of this new molded product will be limited! No way could this molded plastic product be sold at the ~$25 price point. Therefore for the expected volumes need to have the price high enough to make a profit.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-24-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:35 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

In this case the low cost tape, painting or liquid plastic are low cost alternatives and IMO why volumes of this new molded product will be limited! No way could this molded plastic product be sold at the ~$25 price point. Therefore for the expected volumes need to have the price high enough to make a profit.
Well, again, we disagree. I'll bet an enterprising person can CAD, 3D print and sell these pieces for less than $25.00. Although it would be foolish to do so when so many Corvette owners are more than happy to part with their Corvette Tax. All we're doing is covering up crap plastic with more crap (plastic, tape, wood two-by-fours...). At least it's covered.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM
BLKTOUT
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Plasti-Dip on mine last weekend and it turned out great. Quick project and you can't beat the price.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Well, again, we disagree. I'll bet an enterprising person can CAD, 3D print and sell these pieces for less than $25.00. Although it would be foolish to do so when so many Corvette owners are more than happy to part with their Corvette Tax. All we're doing is covering up crap plastic with more crap (plastic, tape, wood two-by-fours...). At least it's covered.
Could be right! I am thinking of the Heliarc and Plasma cutting torches we molded! Scrapped the first few that came out of the mold! And they used expensive metal molds! Modern technics could produce that chrome cover much cheaper and JIT!

That is something to consider when starting a business, get started and someone undercuts your product! We always were more on the edge of welding/cutting technology and sold product to early adopters who would pay the price! When the volume got significant our main competitor was a low cost producer and took over! We were ready with a new product and with Plasma cutting had very solid patents on the consumable (wear) parts were we could make a very good profit! My old boss invented that process!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-24-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:10 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Good comments and pics, answers all questions!

SIDE ISSUE:
I find it funny when a product like this selling for ~$140 is called Corvette Tax! I often address young folks who granulate from a 2 year welding school, many of whom want to start their own business! I encourage them to take a course in finance as many small business start-ups go broke because they don't understand costs and pricing!

For the volumes of an item like this that will be sold, the costs of prototypes to get the product right, the cost of molds and the first parts out of a cold mold being scraped at every production run- $140 is not a bad price!

PS: If you expect to sell through vendors, they also must cover their operating costs, carrying costs for inventory etc and a profit. Selling directly to the public at Vendor cost will loss them!
I tend to agree with you, $140 is not that bad, and it looks like it came that way. I tried the tape, and it just doesn't work all that well, at least for me... and it's more reasonalbe than some are changing for the rear diffuser fins, like 300-400 bucks for two fins... Speaking of which, looks like you got the C7 Carbon rear diffuser... how do you like it???
Old 04-24-2018, 04:38 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 262 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I bought some carbon flash paint from automotivetouchup.com for $30 and painted it.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:43 PM
36couper
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought a roll of $2 electrical tape. It covers the bar perfectly and to date has no chips or marks. If it does, it's easy and cheap to replace.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Y2KConv
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 36couper
I bought a roll of $2 electrical tape. It covers the bar perfectly and to date has no chips or marks. If it does, it's easy and cheap to replace.
$2 Electrical Tape - enough to replace it annually for the next 20 - 30 years!

[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/640x480/80-
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (04-29-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
I tend to agree with you, $140 is not that bad, and it looks like it came that way. I tried the tape, and it just doesn't work all that well, at least for me... and it's more reasonalbe than some are changing for the rear diffuser fins, like 300-400 bucks for two fins... Speaking of which, looks like you got the C7 Carbon rear diffuser... how do you like it???
Been looking for those fins (or properly called fences) since I had my 2014 Z51. The simple Add Fins cost a lot for wht you get and as soon as I saw this C7 Carbon diffuser ordered it. It is carbon fiber and you can get visible CF or as I did for $100 less painted carbon flash that matches the lower bumper.

I am very happy, fit and finish are great. No sure how much extra dowhforce but since I don't Track not looking for that.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Rand1993
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SULLY2013
I bought an overlay sticker kit but that didn't go as planned, I wasn't all that thrilled about a sticker on my Vette anyway.

I would rather not change the grille if I can avoid it so I was considering one of these from RPI. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about this product?

I know a lot of guys have different solutions and I appreciate someones opinion but I am really just curious about this specific product.

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item...ckout-package/

Appreciate it guys!
i have a ‘14 2LT. Covered the chrome with a good grade black electrical tape. Very easy to do. Nice flat black finish. Tucked the edges using a table knife. It took about 10 minutes. I figure it cost less than 10 cents. That was four years ago and it still looks great. Don’t mess with stickers, etc.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 AM
USe-car
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

To OP: I agree with you. This cover is exactly what I'm looking for. I will order one today. No way am I going to use electrical tape. That kind of "fix" is for hondas and hyundais.
SULLY2013 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 AM
3AD2the31
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW, I had an OEM visible carbon fiber roof, purchased CF side skirts, a CF splitter and CF hood vent. After that investment no way would I use tape to cover the chrome grill!

I bought this real carbon fiber cover for my 2014 C7. If you don't have CF then suggest you get the one you found that was recently advertised. It is in two pieces as was mine! It costs much less!

Several vendors offering what you found for the same price. You spent ~$60,000 on a car - do it right!

Did you consider the Z06 grill at all? I was going to go that route
Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM
rodsib
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought an overlay from a vendor and it did not go well for me either. I wound up having my tint guy cover them when I had the tint done. You would never know there is vinyl covering the chrome.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:06 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3AD2the31
Did you consider the Z06 grill at all? I was going to go that route
After I installed the CF side skirts and CF splitter knew I needed something. If I had not found this real CF cover that glues on, might have.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:22 PM
BMF82
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought an overlay sticker kit but that didn't go as planned, I wasn't all that thrilled about a sticker on my Vette anyway.

I would rather not change the grille if I can avoid it so I was considering one of these from RPI. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about this product?

I know a lot of guys have different solutions and I appreciate someones opinion but I am really just curious about this specific product.

Appreciate it guys!
keep an eye on eBay for a Z06 OEM grille. I picked one up for just over $200 with shipping and it looks fantastic and allows more airflow. Little frustrating to put on but nothing you can’t figure out with the help from YouTube.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
$189

Exactly.I purchased A Z06 grill for mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Covering that d*mn chrome strip on my grille

Old 04-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I used Plasti Dip on my 14. The Plasti Dip was in perfect condition three years later when I sold the car.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Bcarr
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts

Appreciate it guys!

i just instlled it this this week and looks great. Didn't want a sticker or tape peeling off later
Old 04-28-2018, 03:50 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

FWIW, I had an OEM visible carbon fiber roof, purchased CF side skirts, a CF splitter and CF hood vent. After that investment no way would I use tape to cover the chrome grill!

I bought this real carbon fiber cover for my 2014 C7. If you don't have CF then suggest you get the one you found that was recently advertised. It is in two pieces as was mine! It costs much less!

Several vendors offering what you found for the same price. You spent ~$60,000 on a car - do it right!

looks great
JerryU (04-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Covering that d*mn chrome strip on my grille