C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Do C7 Coupes Out Sell Verts By Big Margin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

[QUOTE=Foosh;1597272584]The cooling vents are not lost on the convertible. They are underneath the car. My wife and I also weigh a combined 100 lbs. less than the average Corvette couple.

Wasn't aware that that vent does the same thing as the one mounted top side on the coupe rear quarter. Where is the intake and the routing to the coolers?

The ones on the coupe end up by the taillights venting fresh air in to the enclosed coolers.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:50 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
WHen driving ..as great as the targa top off feels..there is a More open exposed driving experience that a convertible offers...
A coupe carries what to me is a benefit that some may not mention often. Namely that a convertible exposes all of your head and neck to sun pretty much all the time, whereas with the coupes top removed you get 80% of the benefit of "roof gone" view and sound, but unless the sun is directly overhead your neck and/or head are much more protected.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:08 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

80%? Maybe 50% on a good day. That whole back half is still there and in the way. But what you see as a benefit I see as a detriment. Having a sun roof that opens is not the same as the vert experience at all. If you don't want your head exposed, buy a hat. They're cheap. Having said that, if you prefer a hatchback, by all means buy a hatchback. Most obviously do, and at the end of the day, we've both got corvettes. I've never met a corvette I didn't like and I like yours as well as I like mine.
The following users liked this post:
DALE#3 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Amazed this Thread has gone on so long when the answer to the OP's question is simply; because ~83% of the new C7 buyers wanted a Coupe!

Similar to "Way Was White the Most Popular Color?" -because from the selections available that is what buyers wanted!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-25-2018 at 03:31 PM.
JerriVette (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:38 PM
dengelZ51
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought the coupe over the convertible for several reasons, in no particular order:

1 - I don't like the look of the convertible with the top up.
2 - I think the Coupe looks awesome both with and without the targa top on.
3 - I bought both the color matched roof and the glass roof. I like the option of having a "moon roof" when I want some sunlight without taking the top off, as well as having the solid roof that matches the paint and stripe on my car and the gorgeous diamond stitched suede liner on my 3LT interior.
4 - I already own a convertible (Pontiac Solstice GXP) and drive that whenever I want the true top-down experience.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:39 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Amazed this Thread has gone on so long when the answer to the OP's question is simply; because ~83% of the new C7 buyers want a Coupe!

Similar to "Way Was White the Most Popular Color?" -because from the selections available that is what they wanted!
Lol … you shouldn't be surprised. I'm betting your not. Maybe on the next one, everybody can debate which lotto numbers are most likely to win, and why.

One thing that is kind of odd is that no one has stated the obvious. The comparison is not between two equivalent models. Its like comparing a pick up truck to an SUV.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:37 PM
kathym
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I simply like the coupe lines better than the convertible. C7 looks great as a coupe. I had my choice (female owner) 4th vette in 21 years of continuous ownership - c4, c5, c3 and c7 mostly stick until now with the c7 auto paddleshifts. Love love the coupe - arctic whites shows off the lines really well too, like a piece of art! people just love it!
JerriVette (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 07:44 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Lol … you shouldn't be surprised. I'm betting your not. Maybe on the next one, everybody can debate which lotto numbers are most likely to win, and why.

One thing that is kind of odd is that no one has stated the obvious. The comparison is not between two equivalent models. Its like comparing a pick up truck to an SUV.

Please elaborate, because I'm not getting what you are implying. I can haul trash to the dump in either the Vert or the coupe.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

Please elaborate, because I'm not getting what you are implying. I can haul trash to the dump in either the Vert or the coupe.

I'm saying the cars are different enough that comparing the two kind of doesn't make sense. Sure the drivetrains and suspension are basically the same, (just like the trucks and suvs) but beyond that they seem pretty different to me. I think its pretty clear the convertible is more directed towards pleasure driving and the coupe is more oriented around track performance. Does anyone ever build a track car out of a convertible ? Maybe, but I've never seen one. Can you get the same sensations driving a coupe that you can from a convertible ? Of course not.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I'm saying the cars are different enough that comparing the two kind of doesn't make sense. Sure the drivetrains and suspension are basically the same, (just like the trucks and suvs) but beyond that they seem pretty different to me. I think its pretty clear the convertible is more directed towards pleasure driving and the coupe is more oriented around track performance. Does anyone ever build a track car out of a convertible ? Maybe, but I've never seen one. Can you get the same sensations driving a coupe that you can from a convertible ? Of course not.
The C7 was designed as a Vert and all the rest came later from what I understand.
DALE#3 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Amazed this Thread has gone on so long when the answer to the OP's question is simply; because ~83% of the new C7 buyers wanted a Coupe!

Similar to "Way Was White the Most Popular Color?" -because from the selections available that is what buyers wanted!
Thank you for delivering good information.

Now that we know 83 percent of all c7 s are couoes...and 17 percent are convertibles...

Just looking at the 2005 production numbers. (Rounded off) 37300 total c6 s built.

26700 couoes
10600 convertibles

So we can compare c7 convertible production at 17 percent as stated by JerryU s research

And we are looking at a comparative c6 coupe production in 2005 at 71 percent with 29 % being convertibles...

That’s quite a drop in convertible purchases for corvettes ..

I still believe as beautiful as the c7 convertible is I
Believe the more radical greenhouse design from c6 to c7 motivated more buyers to get the version of the c7 everyone’s or rather more people wouldn’t recognize asa coupe..

Evolutionary changes are often smaller risks but offer smaller rewards

I personally believe GM was able to maintain corvette heritage and was still able to design the c7 coupe in a radical departure compared to the more evolutionary changes of the c7 vert from the c6 very...

(From a greenhouse perspective)

All that said my one suggestion is to re,e,her it’s not justified one type of vehicle is best...

It’s all personal preference...

I email only bought coupes over the 20 years of buying new corvettes but depending on my mood...my next may be a convertible...

Change is good...

Good question from the original poster...

I noticed what I thought was a dramatic shift in coupe versus convertible production and sales ...although I never got the actual production numbers.,,

Now we know...

83 percent of c7 s are couoes and 17 percent are convertibles.
71 percent of c6 s (in 2005 at least) and 29 percent were convertibles...

Both stunning sports cars

Massive drop in convertibles though ..

I wonder if GM was surprised ..I know I’m shocked that the drop off was so dramatic...29 percent to 17 percent...

That’s a big shift

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-25-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Somehow, I don't think comparing darn near anything from 2005 to the C7 gen is valid.

That was one strange and unusual year, and Verts sat on the lots for months. Eventually they sold (discounted). Does that mean that that is what everyone wanted? No, that is what the dealers ordered (as was explained in post #6), and eventually, those cars sold (as does every new car, eventually).

Doesn't mean a thing.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:39 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Coupe is cheaper.
Coupe looks better with top up.
Vert looks better and is more fun with top down.
Vert is an injury risk if you plan to track.
Old school issues about the tops leaking are probably less of an issue now, cars in general are just better designed and more reliable.
They're both great cars, can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by slickstick; 05-25-2018 at 09:40 PM.
JerriVette (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by mschuyler
80%? Maybe 50% on a good day.
Last I checked I don't have eyes in the back of my head so the extra exposure back there does little but give me a neck sunburn. With the roof off I can look left, right, and straight up and see nothing but sky. With the roof off and windows down I stand by the 80% of the benefit of a convertible statement.

That whole back half is still there and in the way. But what you see as a benefit I see as a detriment. Having a sun roof that opens is not the same as the vert experience at all. If you don't want your head exposed, buy a hat. They're cheap. Having said that, if you prefer a hatchback, by all means buy a hatchback. Most obviously do, and at the end of the day, we've both got corvettes. I've never met a corvette I didn't like and I like yours as well as I like mine.
Sunroof? A removable roof that opens the entire top of the roof from driver's side to passenger's side isn't a sunroof.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 05-25-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Last I checked I don't have eyes in the back of my head so the extra exposure back there does little but give me a neck sunburn. With the roof off I can look left, right, and straight up and see nothing but sky. With the roof off and windows down I stand by the 80% of the benefit of a convertible statement.
Yep, it's that sticky little 20% that will never convince a Vert owner.

We know better. ;P
Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Somehow, I don't think comparing darn near anything from 2005 to the C7 gen is valid.

That was one strange and unusual year, and Verts sat on the lots for months. Eventually they sold (discounted). Does that mean that that is what everyone wanted? No, that is what the dealers ordered (as was explained in post #6), and eventually, those cars sold (as does every new car, eventually).

Doesn't mean a thing.
I think this dramatic a shift can offer insights as to what is going on although I respect your preference to ignore the comparative analysis.

We can agree to disagree...

Better I would imagine is the preferred....one c7 model is better because of xyz and that’s why convertible unit sales are weak...

I really do believe as beautiful and competent then the c7 vert is....it so much less of a dramatic transition from previous gen corvette convertible, the present owners of corvette convertibles say c5and c6 are less motivated to sell their vehicles to get a “new “ one..l

Consider it a fact or not...

It’s just my opinion. .
Old 05-26-2018, 09:01 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Yep, it's that sticky little 20% that will never convince a Vert owner.

We know better. ;P
Know better than what? You just tacitly agreed about the 20%. If you like getting sunburned and prefer the vert then go for it.

Get notified of new replies

To Why Do C7 Coupes Out Sell Verts By Big Margin?

Old 05-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I bought a Coupe because that's what I wanted.
But it had nothing to do with what looked better.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I think the C7 Vert looks killer with the top up.
To me it screams Roadster/Sports Car !

IMO, it's like wanting a Manual Transmission or an Auto.
You have to really want a Manual because it's a way of life.

Same goes for wanting a Coupe or a Vert.
You have to really want a Vert because it's a way of life.

Be Happy we have choices

Last edited by Dif; 05-26-2018 at 12:11 PM.
JerriVette (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 12:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

The C7 was designed as a Vert and all the rest came later from what I understand.
Yep, those 1st Vettes were all Verts and all White with Red interior! Put this Model in the only car show my Grand Sport will ever get entered, along with a model of the 1st Grand Sport on the other side of the display! Was a few months after I got my White GS with Red interior! My street rod was very upset when I put that trophy in the garage with her ~50!

The '53s were made in the town where I worked in in the mid '70's, Ashtabula OH! Had a technician who worked for Molded Fiberglass in '53 and he said they made the prototypes for new models through '56 as I recall as GM took over production. Those were hand laid fiberglass.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-26-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
The coupe has a targa roof, the convertible costs more and has no roll over protection, those are the three obvious answers.

I love the lines and the convenience of the power top of the verts but I’ve been in a near roll over accident and that has taken a vert off the table for me.
all of the above for sure. I like the lines of the coupes better going back to the c2.

However another big big reason is maintenance. Coupe is easier to maintain and you don’t have to anticipate top replacement down the road.

Quick Reply: Why Do C7 Coupes Out Sell Verts By Big Margin?