Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 windshield replacement...two questions. Part 2

Old 07-03-2018, 10:40 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts
Default C7 windshield replacement...two questions. Part 2

Since my last thread was locked because a couple folks couldn't help but argue amongst themselves over glass, aftermarket glass, who knew more about glass in general, and a vague reference to Steven Hawking and theories in quantum mechanics, I'm starting a new one about my cracked windshield.

Long story short, picked up a rock chip that quickly turned into a crack. Called my insurance provider, Safeco, and found out their preferred vendor is Safelite. Plenty of stories on here about, good and bad, about Safelite. Well, so far my experience has not been good. Made my appointment, dropped the car off, and they had it finished in about 2.5 hours. Bad news is that when I went to pick it up I saw right away that the glass appeared to be delaminating near the top. The tech tells me they noticed it but once the old glass was out there was no going back so they put it in. I'm actually OK with that, I get it, but they should have pointed it out to me right, not waiting for me to find it. They're making arrangements to get more glass and if they can't get a suitable piece they'll order one from the dealer. I'm OK with that too. I've got to wait for it but since I can drive the car as is. I'm not sweating this.

So, the repair was Monday. Today, I'm pointing out the new glass to a friend and I noticed that the weatherstripping doesn't appear to be position correctly. There appears to be a gap between the top of the weatherstripping and the top. Now it appears that I have another problem. Is this fairly common?

BTW...the areas at the top of the A-pillar that appear scuffed aren't. The light isn't the best so it's creating some hot spots.

Mike

Old 07-03-2018, 11:38 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Wow, none of those pics look good.

I had mine replaced by the local Safelite (I understand that this does not really relate from one coast to the other), but mine was replaced, and even I cant tell.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:39 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

I wonder if someone wouldn’t mind snapping pics of the top of their windshield, showing the upper weatherstripping. I’d be particularly interested in seeing how it looks at the top of the A-pillars.

BTW...the glass is the same AGC brand glass as OE, minus the GM stamp. Hopefully they’ll find a good piece and get it right.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I have been through this before with my C5Z. First, approach Safelight to see if they will correct this additional problem without a hassle. If you don't get satisfaction then call your insurance company. Give the vendor a chance to fix the problem before calling in the big guns. But if you have to call them in. You are the insurance companies Customer and they will pressure the vendor to fix the problem properly or will tell you to go somewhere else and get their money back from the vendor. When this happened on my C5, State Farm sent an appraiser to my house to look at the problem. He authorized a complete new windshield/weatherstrip at a different vendor and got a refund for the first repair. Of course I had full glass coverage so didn't have any money tied up in the repair.

Bill
Old 07-04-2018, 09:32 AM
jmmoh
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Had my delamineing windshield replaced at the dealer under warranty. Great job
Old 07-04-2018, 12:05 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

Last edited by VNAMVET; 07-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mcoomer (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:06 PM
becker16350
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently took mine to Safelite, the tech called me an hour later and asked me to come back and look at the replacement before he removed mine. It had the same issues you're speaking about. I told them not to install it and asked them to contact my insurance company, American Family, and request a OEM one. Two weeks later my insurance company agreed and a OEM was ordered. Now I'm just waiting for it to come in. In the mean time I'm driving with 2 cracks, gifts from the Tail of the Dragon, until the new one arrives.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:51 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

I have had mine replaced twice. I found out who the dealer uses and I used them as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Took a quick trip to the dealer and checked out the weatherstripping on anew car and feel better about mine now. Comparing them side by side, mine doesn’t appear to be too bad. I’m definitely going to ask about it when then new glass comes in but I’m not worried that it will leak. Roof fits snugly and doesn’t squeak or rattle so I think I’m good.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:44 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Ok, but why does it look all skuffed up?

Like they reused parts?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

The trim pieces around my C5 windshield were distorted after the windshield was apparently removed for some repainting. Later when I needed a new windshield, my repairman asked my insurance company if he could also replace the trim and they agreed.

I didn't go with Satellite or any of the other major brands but used a private installer recommended by a local repair shop.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:49 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Well, this is finally resolved After the problem with the first piece of glass Safelite ordered another. This piece was made by a Chinese company called XYG. To put it simply, this piece of glass sucked! It distorted the HUD. It caused street lights, headlights, and taillights to appear doubled. It was bad.

Went back to Safelite and they decided to order oem glass. First piece comes in a week later but was damaged in shipment. Another week passes, and finally we had a winner. Had it installed and all is good. Long, winding road but I guess all's well that ends well, right?

Last edited by mcoomer; 08-22-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:54 PM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Any updates

Originally Posted by mcoomer
Well, this is finally resolved After the problem with the first piece of glass Safelite ordered another. This piece was made by a Chinese company called XYG. To put it simply, this piece of glass sucked! It distorted the HUD. It caused street lights, headlights, and taillights to appear doubled. It was bad.

Went back to Safelite and they decided to order oem glass. First piece comes in a week later but was damaged in shipment. Another week passes, and finally we had a winner. Had it installed and all is good. Long, winding road but I guess all's well that ends well, right?

got a chip on my windshield the other day my insurance recommended safelite..going in tomorrow..any updates would be great.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

The windshield in my 14 Z51 cracked, unk if it was a rock hit or not but the first piece of glass had a scratch in it so I declined that one. The second one was good shape. I had originally scheduled safelight to replace the glass. I called them to see if they had done a C7 corvette before. They said NO but they would watch a video on it before actually doing it. I declined using them, called the local dealer to see who they used and called that company. The replacement was acceptable but I did not think it was a great job.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 windshield replacement...two questions. Part 2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 windshield replacement...two questions. Part 2