Sponsored by:

2014 C7 Valuation Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:34 AM
PointBy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2014 C7 Valuation Question

Selling my C7 and I am guessing that, like everyone else, I feel my car is worth more than it really is. Can you help a brother out and give me a fair valuation? Also, do you think you can get more for your car selling it on a forum marketplace than the mainstream sites like car gurus? My feeling is that on the marketplace here cars sell for a bit cheaper due to the fact that there are more private owner sales. Thoughts? Personally, I would feel more comfortable buying from a fellow enthusiast on a place like this forum, than from a dealer that does not know the history of the car. Thoughts?

Here is the ad for my car in the marketplace (just placed it yesterday). And unlike in the actual for sale thread, I welcome your pricing comments. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-seats.html
The following users liked this post:
ray 5 (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,720 Likes on 5,599 Posts

I would do more market research as you are up against some pretty stiff competition in that there's new 2019s (though not equipped as nicely as yours) on dealer lots with full new car warranty for about the same price you are asking ($49,500) for your 2014.
Also there's nicely equipped, high condition and low mileage 2014 Stingrays out there for a lot less as well. Good Luck

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 07-08-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Most of the dealers in this area are now using "Edmunds" for valuation on their websites.

You can find out real world market pricing there. www.edmunds.com and using the "research" tab on the top of the page, then look at the valuation on the left hand side, complete your information, and accurate pricing appears. FYI - these prices seem to be lower than KBB, Black Book, and NADA, as they reflect the real market conditions for Corvette sales.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

just a comparison for you..

2014, 3LT, 5000 miles bought Jan 2017 for 42,000

I had many things going for me and not the dealer.. bought in Jan, non Z51, no comp seats, hard to sell yellow and sat at the dealership for 10 months... they were asking 52 in the summer and dropped it down and I hardballed them down to 42 over 2 days by walking away and letting them call me 8 times and the last time I said yes please It was on the 31 of Jan, at 9pm when I picked it up and signed the paperwork and they literally threw me the keys and pointed to where the car was parked...
Old 07-08-2018, 10:07 AM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to givemethevin.com and type in your VIN or license plate number and they will send you an offer to buy it for cash. This is a buyer for auction and they will guarantee to beat any Carmax offer or give you $100.
This is for quick sell purposes and what you are liable to get for trade-in or sale to dealer.
Good luck!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Take a look at EBay. It will give you a idea. I suspect 42 to 43k will be the sweet spot to get it sold.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:36 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

This car DOES NOT have Magnetic Ride. Frankly, I think it is fine without, but that is subjective.
Lose this sentence, you have created an argumentative issue with prospective buyers.

The only issue with this car is an outstanding air bag recall which I will take care of prior to sale.
Lose this. There is no issue with the car, the next owner can get the same free recall. Why bring up your inability to take care of it already; the prospective buyer might wonder what other things have you neglected to do.

I am putting this ad up for a short time prior to putting the car on Bring A Trailer.
Lose this sentence, it is more of a taunt than information. Prospective buyer's may just wait and see how it goes on BAT auction.

Kelly, Nada, Black book, blue book, Edmunds, pooey. Last time i took a car to Carmax (march '18) they told me they were using real time auction results for valuations. Nobodys waiting for the dust to settle on a printed page any longer.

Take it to Carmax for a freebie, get the sick to your stomach feeling over with now. With the reality check, do the necessary if you really want to sell it.

For car sales, summer's almost over; college tuition payments loom large for fat cash buyers. List it on all your preferred websites NOW.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverGhost:
beaversstonehaven (07-08-2018), Kevin A Jones (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

According to Corvette DNA the car's estimated value is $46,640
Old 07-08-2018, 01:53 PM
PointBy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated. Clearly overpriced and I will have to settle for less.

Silver Ghost: Thanks for your suggested edits on the ad. I was trying to head off the inevitable "Does it have mag ride?" questions. In terms of the recall, I agree. Wasn't trying to taunt, with the short sale, but I can see how it would seem that way. Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:09 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

IMHO, “ Does not have mag ride” is OK, as it is pure statement of fact that is easily provable/verified.
“fine without it” is the problematic part, in that it implies a potential deficiency.

Like a HUD - its optional, and If they haven’t driven one with it, then there is no basis of comparison - they dont know what they may be “missing”

The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Private owners/buyers of C7s are a lot more savvy than the general public. Personally, I'd be more comfortable buying from a Chev. dealer, probably getting a better deal.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:18 PM
CourtneyJudd
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 95 Posts
Default for sale

well, personally I don't think you are far off but reality is that it is a buyer's market right now. I have a 2014 Z51 3LT 7M Laguna Blue Convertible with only 8000 miles that I would like to sell so I can order a 2109 GS but the best offer I could get was $44K. I want $50K and really won't take much less. Mine is paid for and at my age ...74... going back into debt seems foolish. So I guess I'll keep what I have and enjoy it! But good luck with your sale! CJ

Originally Posted by PointBy
Selling my C7 and I am guessing that, like everyone else, I feel my car is worth more than it really is. Can you help a brother out and give me a fair valuation? Also, do you think you can get more for your car selling it on a forum marketplace than the mainstream sites like car gurus? My feeling is that on the marketplace here cars sell for a bit cheaper due to the fact that there are more private owner sales. Thoughts? Personally, I would feel more comfortable buying from a fellow enthusiast on a place like this forum, than from a dealer that does not know the history of the car. Thoughts?

Here is the ad for my car in the marketplace (just placed it yesterday). And unlike in the actual for sale thread, I welcome your pricing comments. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-seats.html
Old 07-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Default O p:

Have you tried any Corvette specialty retailers? VetteFinders, is one that's out there. Selling outright to a dealer may not yield what a consignment dealer sale would.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I will be purchasing a 2015 Coupe 3lt Z51 with Mag ride in a couple weeks from a forum member. Just under 15k miles with a few exterior add on for an agreed upon $45k. In my area (Pacific NW) these cars sell for more than areas like Florida and Texas and the East Coast. I feel I'm getting a pretty good deal as I didn't want to take a risk shipping a car from that far without being able to see and drive it first.

A local BMW dealership had a '16 1lt Z51, m7 coupe with 16k miles (I think) listed for over $52. I went and looked at it. It wasn't very well taken care of. Had some obvious paint touch ups, etc. Thought for sure they'd be sitting on it for a long while.. It sold in 3-4 weeks. I couldn't believe it!

So, your area has a lot to do with price.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 C7 Valuation Question

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 Valuation Question