Sponsored by:

Excessive tailing

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
I have noticed this too. I usually run 5-10 over on the interstate. It is mostlyl3-4 lanes wide if I am in the 2nd or 3rd from the right and they tailgating I will slow down so they can go around. I dont like to stay in the far right with all the interchanges and merging traffic
Then you are doing it wrong. You are part of the problem, and a rolling road block.

You are the cause of the traffic jam and you deserve every finger you get.

The rule is simple: Slower traffic keep RIGHT. Keep RIGHT except to pass. Not middle, not second from right, not where you like to be, simply KEEP RIGHT.

Going miles between on ramps or exchanges in a passing lane while passing no one is lazy and lame. It is up to the folks joining the party already in progress (interstate travel) to merge. If they spend the entire on-ramp texting instead of accelerating to merge, it's on them. Exchanges give plenty of notice to move over, IF you're paying attention.

I am amazed that someone would park themselves in a passing lane and expect anything less than utter contempt, regardless of what they drive. Pure hubris.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
Question?
I am in the center lane of a 3 lane interstate of a metropolitan area with a 70MPH speed limit. I am doing 75MPH and encounter a slower moving vehicle also in the center lane and the right lane is occupied by multiple slower moving vehicles. I check and the left is clear for me to change lanes to the left and start to pass this slower moving vehicle. I do the lane change and continue at my speed of 75 MPH in a 70 zone to pass this slower moving vehicle. Suddenly a vehicle comes up on my rear (that was not detected earlier and not interfered with for the lane change) and is now tailgating me. Am I wrong to continue my pass the slower vehicle at 75MPH because I am holding up the faster vehicle behind me? Or, should I speed up to complete the pass because I'm holding up traffic in the left(Passing) lane? I will move back to the center lane once the pass has been completed safely..
You pass the slower car then move back over to the middle very easy if the guy behind you is that ignorant let him be. Should you speed up to pass faster and a trooper running radar catches you the guy tailgating wont pay the ticket
Old 07-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Originally Posted by Renfield
Then you are doing it wrong. You are part of the problem, and a rolling road block.

The rule is simple: Slower traffic keep RIGHT. Keep RIGHT except to pass. Not middle, not second from right, not where you like to be, simply KEEP RIGHT.

Going miles between on ramps or exchanges in a passing lane while passing no one is lazy and lame. It is up to the folks joining the party already in progress (interstate travel) to merge. If they spend the entire on-ramp texting instead of accelerating to merge, it's on them. Exchanges give plenty of notice to move over, IF you're paying attention.

I am amazed that someone would park themselves in a passing lane and expect anything less than utter contempt, regardless of what they drive. Pure hubris.
I am not id the left lane there is at least one lane maybe 2 to the left of me and I am already running 5-10 over the limit LEFT lane is for passing I am NOT in the left lane
Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM
A. Vandelay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought I was the only one who knew this. It is so frustrating to me to see people camped out in the middle lane, because they are too lazy to drive. Many times they are effectively blocking two lanes of traffic.

Last edited by A. Vandelay; 07-19-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:40 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
Ever since I have gotten my new 2018 Vette, I've had this problem with people getting within feet (or inches) when I'm driving or at stop lights. Sometimes, it's clearly within a foot or two.

Tonight, I had someone, while I was driving 3-5 miles over the speed limit, who was tailing me on a busy city street, attempt to swipe me within inches as I moved into another lane on a multi-lane road to let him by. After three Vettes, I've never had this form of recurring aggression in prior years. Anyone had this problem recently?
if this has really happened to me (and not a figment of my perspective), it is invariably a male driver between 18 and 30 years old (except for one time it was a woman in her 50s) usually with more than a few dents in his car, and sometimes cat calling to me with the window down, sometimes wanting to drag. Northern California.

Last edited by Parcival; 07-19-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 PM
C6ness
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
I'm not saying tailgating is right in any way shape or form, it's dumb, not just for the person getting tailgated, but the tailgater also, for obvious reasons. And in 99.9% of the cases where a person hits another driver in the rear of their vehicle, its their fault.

Having said that, people cruising around in the left lane not passing people on the right incites anger in people who are trying to pass in the passing lane, and creates these types of problems. If you want to cruise around at the same speed as people in the right lane, then get in the right lane where you belong. if you don't, then you are in fact intentionally blocking others. You claim it was heavy traffic and you had not choice but your own words betray your real mindset when you said 'he must have thought he was too important to be held up' and you 'smiled when he gunned it and passed you'. If there was so much traffic, how did he manage to pass you? If you want to drive slow, get in the right lane.
Well he passed me when I slowed down to get into the proper lane for the ramp. Other than that I was moving with the rest of the traffic at or above the speed limit. I smiled because that guy was such a typical BMW jerk. I don't appreciate someone right on my butt in heavy traffic. If you have to slow or stop suddenly they will hit you. It's just stupid. You sound like someone who thinks they own the road. Relax. Drive safe. Have a nice day.

Last edited by C6ness; 07-19-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Originally Posted by A. Vandelay
I thought I was the only one who knew this. It is so frustrating to me to see people camped out in the middle lane, because they are too lazy to drive. Many times they are effectively blocking two lanes of traffic.
This my last comment since those commenting on what I posted dont seem to understand. I am in the middle lane there are 1 maybe 2 lanes to my left there are cars in the right lane. I am passing these cars since they are doing the speed limit or less. Also there are cars merging onto the highway too. I am not driving in the wide open country this is city interstate. There are at least 1 maybe 2 lanes to my LEFT. There isnt any rolling roadblock. If you want to pass then move into the LEFT lane and pass what is so hard LEFT lane is for passing. Maybe you cant get into the left lane then you have an issue with the person in the left lanes. When I am in the middle lane and there is a car going slower than me I move over to the left lane and pass simple no drama If I am on a 2 lane (my direction) I will pass a car and move back to right even if there arent any cars coming up behind me. So maybe I didnt state what I was doing clearly enough maybe you didnt understand. Whatever I dont block people or create a rolling roadblock

Last edited by Jmhornz71; 07-19-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
You can expect that if you routinely drive in the left lanes. I always stay right unless I'm passing.
I rarely drive in the left since I'm more conservative with my speeds. When it happened to me the other night, I was in the middle lane of a three lane road. Both the lane to the left and right were open when I moved over and the guy buzzed me.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 8APORSH
It appears you live in Dallas. I hate to say it, but Dallas has some of the craziest traffic I've ever experienced. Driven in Dallas many many times over the years and it's truly a terrible experience. My wife previously owned a clothing store and would go to market all over the U.S. to purchase clothes. Time and time again, the vendors would comment on how Dallas traffic was worse than San Fransisco.
Actually, Dallas proper is generally not too bad. In my opinion, some of our northern suburb cities have traditionally had more aggressive drivers in my many years of living here.

Last edited by Guitarking1; 07-19-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't know about more aggressive, but drivers have definitely become...less intelligent. On the beginning of my vacation trip, someone tried to get into the left lane when I was clearly already there; forcing me to gun it since I had nowhere else to maneuver. Fortunately, even 6th gear has some pep to "get away" on reaction. People really need to start checking their environment.

And it doesn't usually happen directly in front of me, but the trend now is "I can't fit through this impossible opening to change lanes, but I'm going to get my 'GI Joe' on, be a hero, and try it anyway". Seems to be happening way more than usual. And lo and behold, sometimes they cause an accident. Who knew?

Beyond that, no real issues on my end when driving my C7 other than the wave, thumbs up, dodging Michigan potholes, etc.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

IMO the problem is too many drivers leave no room for error no matter what the situation
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 AM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
^^This. I always thought others were on my ***, but not really. Still another 24"-36" away. Unfortunately, I have to support fugly1's theory.

I agree. Mostly SUVs. Not sure what's up with them (besides everyone has one), but it never fails. Sitting at a stoplight. SUV pulls up. Light turns green and they launch! It's a funny launch, but launch they do. I calmly put into 2nd and move on.
I agree on the first. I've had people tap their brakes and get all mad at me, even though I am exactly the same distance behind them as they are to the car in front of them. People don't know where tgeir bumpers are. I think that's why folks stop short and inch up too.

As to racing off the light, don't assume they are racing. Maybe they're just in a hurry and the big slow suv has to be driven at 99% just to get anywhere.
My work vehicle is a company provided Dodge caravan. It's so slow, there's no sense in putting the effort into modulating the throttle . 2 speeds: wide open and idle. People (especially BMW drivers for some reason) always think I'm racing off the light because it spins the tires on every start. The truth is it has 1000lbs of junk in the back so the front wheels are barely on the ground.
I pass lots of 'vettes every day. Also Ferraris, GT-R's, Camrys, Accords. It's not that I think my van is so much faster, I just want to get where I'm going so I can get out of this self propelled garden shed.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by ricks327
Question?
I am in the center lane of a 3 lane interstate of a metropolitan area with a 70MPH speed limit. I am doing 75MPH and encounter a slower moving vehicle also in the center lane and the right lane is occupied by multiple slower moving vehicles. I check and the left is clear for me to change lanes to the left and start to pass this slower moving vehicle. I do the lane change and continue at my speed of 75 MPH in a 70 zone to pass this slower moving vehicle. Suddenly a vehicle comes up on my rear (that was not detected earlier and not interfered with for the lane change) and is now tailgating me. Am I wrong to continue my pass the slower vehicle at 75MPH because I am holding up the faster vehicle behind me? Or, should I speed up to complete the pass because I'm holding up traffic in the left(Passing) lane? I will move back to the center lane once the pass has been completed safely..
If you are in the far left lane, doing 75 in a 70 and right next to the car you are passing---you have 3 choices: slow down and possibly get hit by the car now on your tail, and then pull into the center lane; keep passing at 75 and the guy behind you gets too-bad-mad; or speed up to say 80 or 85 because "you've got the power" like some would say, and risk a ticket.

And note: for those who say speed up, they will not be paying your ticket, or taking your "points" if you get them. I've done it next to a truck, and while the Highway Patrol understood my reason, he didn't stop the guy behind me. As he said, "I got you. Can't get them all." Yes, the judge agreed with the police---gee, I was so surprised.

In Euro-land, you will almost never see the car catching up with you in the far left lane. If you're in a small Fiat or Ford, you white-knuckle it if you're going to pass anyone. Because? Doing 80 mph (equivalent) when a 150+ mph car is coming up on you is scary.

Therefore I would say, if you don't have the "vision thing" to know, or notice, when a car is fast-approaching, don't pass in the far left lane---2-lane, 3-lane or 4-lane. Period. If you do still try it, get ready to mash the gas pedal in a Prius or a Stingray and hope you don't get a ticket---chances are you won't. But I'm not going to pay for your ticket either!

I am amazed that someone would park themselves in a passing lane and expect anything less than utter contempt, of what they drive. Pure hubris.
Sorry, I don't agree with the above. Except on the (relatively) lonely Interestates all over the country and way outside of cities and major towns, just about every box- or semi-truck drives in the center lane of 3-lane (actually, 6-lanes, with 3 in each direction) highways in, or near cities for the same reason jmhornz says----trucks are trying to make time, and you can't make time if you are in the far right lane. Whether we like it or not, any car driver who wants to make time is almost always in the center of 3-lane highways in and around cities. Or, in the far left lane doing a pass. And sometimes not fast enough for the car behind.

In the example of trucks in the far right lane on "urban" highways, they would have to contend with every car and truck trying to pull over to get off at the next exit, as well as incoming, heavy traffic with drivers who don't know how to, or can't adequately merge onto a highway in front of a truck in the far right lane. It's very simple, but not if YOU are that truck driver. Now, I'm not saying truck drivers do this on 4-lane highways, meaning two lanes in each direction and the truck is in the left of two lanes. That, they don't do and shouldn't, even in cities or major towns unless they are passing cars at a good speed. And I'd bet that truck drivers really dislike 2-lane, urban highways (4 lanes total).
Old 07-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by EASonBASS
OP, yup I notice this too.
I was just going to post the same thing...8 out of 10 cars come right up on my a$$... Im going to also say that I get idiots revving their engines, our punching it when they get next to me on the highway... I especially laugh when the morons in the beat-up rice burners rev their engine cause they just installed their new WalMart exhaust and it's really really loud...to make them "sound" fast... Sorry, but I just dont get it.

I guess its like Mike Tyson said, "everyone wants to take a shot at the champ just to see how they measure up..."
Old 07-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,997 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
I was just going to post the same thing...8 out of 10 cars come right up on my a$$... Im going to also say that I get idiots revving their engines, our punching it when they get next to me on the highway... I especially laugh when the morons in the beat-up rice burners rev their engine cause they just installed their new WalMart exhaust and it's really really loud...to make them "sound" fast... Sorry, but I just dont get it.

I guess its like Mike Tyson said, "everyone wants to take a shot at the champ just to see how they measure up..."
...or it makes me wonder if this is how a supermodel feels when out at a bar? Some people stare, some pretend not to notice and the rest just want to hit that!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:07 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Its just the perception bc you are low and sitting near the rear of the car. Everyone is not out to get right on top of your car all of a sudden since you drove the c7. lol Looks that way from my POV also in the C7 but a closer look will tell you that youre wrong
Old 07-20-2018, 06:00 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by speed4tu
Its just the perception bc you are low and sitting near the rear of the car. Everyone is not out to get right on top of your car all of a sudden since you drove the c7. lol Looks that way from my POV also in the C7 but a closer look will tell you that youre wrong
Oh.....? I see. We are a paranoid bunch. Are we not?

Get notified of new replies

To Excessive tailing

Old 07-21-2018, 08:19 AM
PG County Boy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Just yesterday I had some impatient jerk in some sort of Jeep right up on my bumper (and as I said in a previous post, I verify the distancewith my backup camera). Because I had room between my vehicle and the car in front of me, I eased forward a bit. Well, Mr. Jeep moved forward, too. Rinse, repeat, same result. I guess these mental giants don't understand people in front of them at a light can't go anywhere, and getting REAL close to their bumper is not going to get them to their destination any quicker. Or it can be this is some sort of intimidation.
The following users liked this post:
jimmie jam (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by PG County Boy
Just yesterday I had some impatient jerk in some sort of Jeep right up on my bumper (and as I said in a previous post, I verify the distancewith my backup camera). Because I had room between my vehicle and the car in front of me, I eased forward a bit. Well, Mr. Jeep moved forward, too. Rinse, repeat, same result. I guess these mental giants don't understand people in front of them at a light can't go anywhere, and getting REAL close to their bumper is not going to get them to their destination any quicker. Or it can be this is some sort of intimidation.
Or they just need to feel like they are doing "something", making progress. See, I moved 2 feet forward?
Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 336 Posts

Ah, not in my case at all. This happens to me ALL the time in my DD CTS. I thought the same thing so I started to put the car in reverse to turn the camera on to confirm that they are literally up my ***. I try to slowly inch away but most just inch closer....ponderous.

Quick Reply: Excessive tailing