C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive tailing

Old 07-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Guitarking1
CF Senior Member

Default Excessive tailing

Ever since I have gotten my new 2018 Vette, I've had this problem with people getting within feet (or inches) when I'm driving or at stop lights. Sometimes, it's clearly within a foot or two.

Tonight, I had someone, while I was driving 3-5 miles over the speed limit, who was tailing me on a busy city street, attempt to swipe me within inches as I moved into another lane on a multi-lane road to let him by. After three Vettes, I've never had this form of recurring aggression in prior years. Anyone had this problem recently?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guitarking1 For This Useful Post:
1ccrider (07-17-2018), BobFic (07-17-2018), direct007 (07-18-2018), g.reed (07-18-2018), JJAY (07-17-2018), Taxman C7 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:26 PM
Avanti
CF Senior Member

??? I've never experienced it with any of my vehicles and some have been and are more unusual than my Vettes.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:30 PM
Guitarking1
CF Senior Member

It's bizarre. I noticed it a few months ago...and after only 1200 miles on the odometer in six months, it's been like a crazy-person magnet, considering that I drive my old beater car most of the time.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:40 PM
kaplana08
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Guitarking1 View Post
Ever since I have gotten my new 2018 Vette, I've had this problem with people getting within feet (or inches) when I'm driving or at stop lights. Sometimes, it's clearly within a foot or two.

Tonight, I had someone, while I was driving 3-5 miles over the speed limit, who was tailing me on a busy city street, attempt to swipe me within inches as I moved into another lane on a multi-lane road to let him by. After three Vettes, I've never had this form of recurring aggression in prior years. Anyone had this problem recently?
Almost every time when I am at a stop light the driver behind me has to come within inches of my back. Can't understand why. So dam close. jerks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaplana08 For This Useful Post:
3Rivers (07-17-2018), woodsguy (07-20-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:56 PM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

Actually yes. Iíve even talked to my wife about it. Iím in a manual so Iím even more sensitive to stop light tailgaters. Somethings in the water because itís been bad recently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Lebowski For This Useful Post:
oldvettedriver (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 AM
CocoVette
CF Senior Member

It's definitely a noticeable occurrence, granted the drivers in AZ are awful to begin with lol. It's as if people are trying to **** you off because they're "haters". It's always entertaining when you downshift, and the person tailing you gets a rude awakening. Do they not realize how much it's going to cost when they rear end you?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:50 AM
fugly1
CF Senior Member

I suspect that they look close because there isn't much distance between where we sit and the back of the car. Most cars have much more room behind the driver. That's my theory, anyway....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fugly1 For This Useful Post:
AWOL (07-17-2018), glava2876 (07-17-2018), probono (07-17-2018), rogergcam (07-22-2018), Steve_R (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 AM
jtranger
CF Senior Member

And everyone wants to race you or catch up to you. I flash my led brake lights several times when someone is on my tail.

Last edited by jtranger; 07-17-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:17 AM
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,272 Times in 965 Posts

Texas...what can you do?
Old 07-17-2018, 02:06 AM
EASonBASS
CF Senior Member

OP, yup I notice this too.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:48 AM
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by fugly1 View Post
I suspect that they look close because there isn't much distance between where we sit and the back of the car. Most cars have much more room behind the driver. That's my theory, anyway....
^^This. I always thought others were on my ***, but not really. Still another 24"-36" away. Unfortunately, I have to support fugly1's theory.
Originally Posted by jtranger View Post
And everyone wants to race you or catch up to you. I flash my led brake lights several times when someone is on my tail.
I agree. Mostly SUVs. Not sure what's up with them (besides everyone has one), but it never fails. Sitting at a stoplight. SUV pulls up. Light turns green and they launch! It's a funny launch, but launch they do. I calmly put into 2nd and move on.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM
mtaxman
CF Senior Member

Everyone thinks their state has the worst drivers...its bad all over - I moved to GA from NY/CT/NJ - all four suck.....basically there is :far more aggression, far less driver training before getting licensed, far more distractions, far less ownership and downside of personal actions...its what we've become.
I learned to use flashers when I commuted on the Merritt Parkway and 684...I still use them in the vette even though its a reach. It gives me some comfort that perhaps the driver behind me will notice.

Last edited by mtaxman; 07-17-2018 at 10:00 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtaxman For This Useful Post:
Deweyox (07-17-2018), woodsguy (07-20-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 AM
kennyjames21
CF Senior Member

Heh, I thought it was just me, lol. In most cases, I think it's people just being dickish. I just reassure myself in the fact that my GS tires will spray the front of their car with rocks when I start moving again.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Deweyox
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
texas...what can you do?
move
Old 07-17-2018, 10:23 AM
VistaVette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by fugly1 View Post
I agree with this. Often it feels like the vehicle behind me is an inch off my rear but when I pull up the rear camera they're not.

That being said, I've never had a car incite so much aggressive driving around me. No matter what speed I drive, slow or fast, or how aggressively I pull away I have cars pacing right next to me, flooring it off stop lights etc. I've owned other Corvette's and have never experienced this phenomenon. It doesn't happen on my motorcycles either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VistaVette For This Useful Post:
09ZR1 (07-19-2018), Junox (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:26 AM
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member

You can expect that if you routinely drive in the left lanes. I always stay right unless I'm passing.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 AM
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mtaxman View Post
Everyone thinks their state has the worst drivers...its bad all over - I moved to GA from NY/CT/NJ - all four suck.....basically there is :far more aggression, far less driver training before getting licensed, far more distractions, far less ownership and downside of personal actions...its what we've become.
I learned to use flashers when I commuted on the Merritt Parkway and 684...I still use them in the vette even though its a reach. It gives me some comfort that perhaps the driver behind me will notice.
In Florida, we get them all (as every local idiosyncratic driving habit from the other states arrives here in the winter). I's like "bumper cars" with accidents and the associated "gaper's block", each time we go out. Then factor in the resident "magoo's" we have living here, from October until May, it's a real "road show".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1SG_Ret For This Useful Post:
Neil Baker (07-22-2018), Null Pointer (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 AM
kennyjames21
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret View Post
You can expect that if you routinely drive in the left lanes. I always stay right unless I'm passing.
Thank you for that, lol.

Nothing enrages me more than when someone creates a car wall by pacing the other car in the right lane while driving in the left (PASSING) lane. It's even called the PASSING LANE, it's for PASSING.... aaarrrggghh (sorry)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kennyjames21 For This Useful Post:
g.reed (07-18-2018), taz2016 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Because I know Corvettes are cop magnets, on interstates I tend to stay in the right lane and maybe do a couple MPH over or under depending on traffic flow. It never fails that someone will zoom up behind me and then just sit on my bumper for several miles before passing. I've also had the folks that come cruising by in the passing lane and then they slow down to match your speed while sitting in your blind spot for a mile or two before they move along again, usually after a frustrated driver behind them flashes them. I believe in Florida most drivers get their licenses at WalMart where the driver test consists of pushing a shopping cart down an aisle and seeing how close you can come to the shopping cart ahead of you without hitting it, while texting on your phone and not looking where you are. Extra credit if you knock a few items off an end display while rounding the corner to go into the next aisle and cutting off the person in front of you. Triple word score if you get into the oncoming lane and force someone into the shelves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Null Pointer For This Useful Post:
DWillys (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 AM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret View Post
THIS👍🏻 I do notice people driving fast around me. I think they just want a closer look. Can't believe how many I see taking pics of the car. I just think it's flattering 😄

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive tailing

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: