Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive tailing

Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
Because I know Corvettes are cop magnets, on interstates I tend to stay in the right lane and maybe do a couple MPH over or under depending on traffic flow. .../snip
Always this perception of Corvettes being cop magnets. No, I'd say that's far from the truth. What are cop magnets are: speeding cars (regardless of make); reckless drivers (regardless of make); weaving in/out traffic lanes; LEFT LANE violations (truck violations and those who camp in left lane, regardless of make); over tinted windows; safety violations (lights, tires, windshields, etc...) ... oh ... regardless of make.
Aww heck. Just anything within the states traffic code. Based on my experience, Corvettes actually tend to be the more cautious drivers because of this perception. ...or maybe the average age of a Corvette buyer is 53 (old data, but it's still close). That's OK too.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

I have started stopping further behind the car in front of me at the traffic lights. Once I see the car behind me has stopped I move up several feet. Most drivers are too lazy to move up as well. Once they have stopped they stay stopped, in some case even when the light changes to green.
The following 4 users liked this post by RMS73:
bimmerborn (07-18-2018), fsvoboda (07-17-2018), JimNeedsC7 (07-20-2018), Mike Mercury (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Excessive tailing

yup! Same thing in Oregon. Never had a problem with any other car, not even my challenger srt. Bought a new c7 four months ago, and it’s been game on ever sense. No problem with mustangs, camaroes and such, pick ups, mostly the diesels, suv’s, and little rice burners, will tailgate to the extreme. I’ve had them flash the lights, give the finger, wave there hands etc. no matter what lane I’m in, they seem to go out of there way to be a jerk! Guess they think because your in a vette you should be cruising at a 100 every where you go? I get at least two every trip on the interstate, to Portland. And yup stop lights are a guaranteed grill in the rear view. Or a rev at the green light. I don’t street race period, I’ve been paced a lot, but there just checking out the car, taking pics, giving a thumbs up, or just a stare.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski

Actually yes. I’ve even talked to my wife about it. I’m in a manual so I’m even more sensitive to stop light tailgaters.

Why would that matter? Have you heard of, or experiences Hill Assist?

Somethings in the water because it’s been bad recently.
Must like you because it doesn't really happen to me. I mean it happens sometimes but other times it doesn't. Perhaps it's because the C7's rear end is quite tall while the seats are quite low. Perhaps you're just misjudging things because the car's headlights disappear quicker with a tall rear, making you misjudge exactly how far back they are?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:17 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
Because I know Corvettes are cop magnets, on interstates I tend to stay in the right lane and maybe do a couple MPH over or under depending on traffic flow. It never fails that someone will zoom up behind me and then just sit on my bumper for several miles before passing. I've also had the folks that come cruising by in the passing lane and then they slow down to match your speed while sitting in your blind spot for a mile or two before they move along again, usually after a frustrated driver behind them flashes them. I believe in Florida most drivers get their licenses at WalMart where the driver test consists of pushing a shopping cart down an aisle and seeing how close you can come to the shopping cart ahead of you without hitting it, while texting on your phone and not looking where you are. Extra credit if you knock a few items off an end display while rounding the corner to go into the next aisle and cutting off the person in front of you. Triple word score if you get into the oncoming lane and force someone into the shelves.
LOL, yep, unless your'e a resident down here, people have no idea. ......................................be tween the texting and talking, you'd think they were the only ones on the planet. Zero Consideration.

Left lane runners (Illinois drivers are the worst when it comes to this) and the refusal to move to the right. Love when the "Semi's run right up on their *** to get them to move over...and after they do, they swing to the left again. Getting so it sucks the joy out of driving.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:22 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,795 Likes on 2,626 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by fugly1
I suspect that they look close because there isn't much distance between where we sit and the back of the car. Most cars have much more room behind the driver. That's my theory, anyway....
^ This....
Old 07-17-2018, 12:22 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

At stoplights they just seem closer because of the short rear deck. On the road very few posers ever whip around me because I'm usually going faster than everyone else. It's a Corvette, not a Winnebago for chrissakes!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:32 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarking1
Ever since I have gotten my new 2018 Vette, I've had this problem with people getting within feet (or inches) when I'm driving or at stop lights. Sometimes, it's clearly within a foot or two.

Tonight, I had someone, while I was driving 3-5 miles over the speed limit, who was tailing me on a busy city street, attempt to swipe me within inches as I moved into another lane on a multi-lane road to let him by. After three Vettes, I've never had this form of recurring aggression in prior years. Anyone had this problem recently?
Move to the Fort Worth side. Whenever I'm in Dallas, I'm amazed at the level of aggression on that side of the metroplex. Fort Worth is no picnic either, what with all the ***** trucks and the dicks who drive them around here, but the advantage there is that while they're stupidly aggressive, they're also slow and clumsy, particularly when changing lanes. They'll usually opt to just stay in the left lane unless they have a huge opening to pass.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by RMS73
I have started stopping further behind the car in front of me at the traffic lights. Once I see the car behind me has stopped I move up several feet. Most drivers are too lazy to move up as well. Once they have stopped they stay stopped, in some case even when the light changes to green.
Great idea!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 PM
nightroddersp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I checked with my back up camera too, for the most part they are 3 feet back. But they are still closer than when I am in my suburban because they can see over us. I do notice that people beside me and hover while looking over to see if I am going to flinch or bolt. Hell even when I am washing my car in front of the house. They will slow down look and smash the gas and try to look all powerful or something. I haven't had to many newer Mustang mess with me but damn if I don't seem to get some smuck in a 80's Mustang keeping their car in a lower gear to keep their RPM up and juice it beside me to get me to jump. My friend would be like do it do it, but I don't want another ticket for 3 seconds of fun. Then again, I did succumb to the urge when an old fella in a C3 with side pipes told me, Betty my Vette had no soul like his 71. So when we left Sonics and he came along side of me at a light, we'll just say my urge was cured. Never seen him again. People say Vette drivers are the butt holes but it seems the car turns them into butt heads.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Taevon lee
yup! Same thing in Oregon. Never had a problem with any other car, not even my challenger srt. Bought a new c7 four months ago, and it’s been game on ever sense. No problem with mustangs, camaroes and such, pick ups, mostly the diesels, suv’s, and little rice burners, will tailgate to the extreme. I’ve had them flash the lights, give the finger, wave there hands etc. no matter what lane I’m in, they seem to go out of there way to be a jerk! Guess they think because your in a vette you should be cruising at a 100 every where you go? I get at least two every trip on the interstate, to Portland. And yup stop lights are a guaranteed grill in the rear view. Or a rev at the green light. I don’t street race period, I’ve been paced a lot, but there just checking out the car, taking pics, giving a thumbs up, or just a stare.
When I lived in Oregon I experienced what you are experiencing. But in AZ it is worse if you can believe it. It took a while to get used to pulling over and letting them go by.

Last edited by joemessman; 07-17-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Taevon lee
Huh?
I'm in Salem and don't see much of what you are talking about.
A lot of people want a closer look at the car, but it normally isn't malignant.

BTW, tailgating on I5 has nothing to do with what you are driving...it's just par for the course.
Originally Posted by joemessman
But in AZ it is worse if you can believe it. It took a while to get used to pulling over and letting them go by.
TX and AZ are 2 states with a lot of frustrated, unhappy people.
It's hardly surprising they bring it to their driving.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:45 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by RMS73
Great idea.

Texters and cell phoners are big tailgating offenders, also. I always try to let them by.

This morning at 8:15 I was tailgated across the Michigan State University campus by a young woman who, by her clothing, was a secretary late for work. I made a left and she shot by me at about 45 in a 35 zone.

Many people are not too smart, I regret to report.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 07-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I have noticed this too. I usually run 5-10 over on the interstate. It is mostlyl3-4 lanes wide if I am in the 2nd or 3rd from the right and they tailgating I will slow down so they can go around. I dont like to stay in the far right with all the interchanges and merging traffic
Old 07-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by fugly1
I suspect that they look close because there isn't much distance between where we sit and the back of the car. Most cars have much more room behind the driver. That's my theory, anyway....
+ 1 on this. Also the high rear window line relative to your line of site creates the perception cars are closer than they are.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:23 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
I have noticed this too. I usually run 5-10 over on the interstate. It is mostlyl3-4 lanes wide if I am in the 2nd or 3rd from the right and they tailgating I will slow down so they can go around. I dont like to stay in the far right with all the interchanges and merging traffic
Always move over and let the faster driver go by.

Driver Ed. 101.

Anything else just causes problems.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:25 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
+ 1 on this. Also the high rear window line relative to your line of site creates the perception cars are closer than they are.
I understand what you are saying, but I know quite often that when I'm going 70 and the car behind me is only 20ft or so behind. And that is way too close even if it is 40 ft behind me.

Get notified of new replies

To Excessive tailing

Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Deweyox
move
But not to CA or you'll be even more frustrated. With all the illegals without drivers licenses/insurance and those texting while driving it's not fun. On the other hand the freeways and streets are so clogged that you usually can't drive very fast anyway.

I haven't had many problems with other drivers, just the occasional slow car trying to show off. I did have a guy in a Mercedes AMG GT directly in front of me quickly accelerate at a couple of stop lights but I just let him go. I did enough racing when younger and now just take it easy. I do get a little worried about getting rear-ended when I see someone texting behind me.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by FunDriver

I did have a guy in a Mercedes AMG GT directly in front of me quickly accelerate at a couple of stop lights but I just let him go.
I love the guys that go find the radar for me
The following users liked this post:
nightroddersp (07-24-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:40 PM
JJAY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

YES !

Also, How many of us have custom plates that implies " FAST or RACING", etc ?

(I'm guilty ... )

I have even considered changing the plates.

Last edited by JJAY; 07-17-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive tailing