Purchasing a Car Out of State

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:14 AM
c7_dillon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a Car Out of State

Hi Members,

I need some advice on purchasing a car out of state. I am from Michigan, and I have found a corvette I want to buy that is in Texas.
He has a loan on the car, and I am also financing the car.
What is the best way to make sure I feel secure? My credit union has to fund his credit union before I will even see the title.
Also, what is the best way to get the car to Michigan?
Old 07-20-2018, 10:54 AM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

I had a blue Z51 that I owed on. I wanted to buy a brand new grand sport. I sold the blue one to a guy but I first had to pay off the balance, then he came and got the car, then I mailed him the title once I got it in the mail. I then had a transport company pickup the car in Montana and deliver it to me in Charlotte, $1,500. The company sucked the big one and if I ever saw the driver again I would punch him right in his stupid face. Make sure you higher someone qualified and with good reviews. Get everything in writing, look every square inch of the car over before taking delivery.

If you are taking over his payments, I can't help you. But I would definitely write up a contract and both sign it before you send $0.01 to him. Look him up on Facebook, get his home address, do everything you can to make sure it's a real person and not some bullshit. Last thing you want is to be screwed out of thousands of dollars.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:34 PM
c7_dillon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. Do you have recommendations on shipping companies? I was quoted $1700 with reliable carriers. I think this is a lot of money.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:54 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by c7_dillon
Thank you for the reply. Do you have recommendations on shipping companies? I was quoted $1700 with reliable carriers. I think this is a lot of money.
I would recommend against "Reliable". Used them once, and while the car was ultimately delivered in one piece, scheduling was a crapshoot and customer service was non-existent. Most would probably recommend Intercity and I had a great experience using them on another occasion, but some are apparently being turned away right now, this being their busy season. Probably worth contacting them for a quote and see.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,599 Posts

No real problems buying cars out of state, have done it many times without issues.
However, ALWAYS inspect the car closely, NEVER buy unseen, no matter how good the photos or videos. Especially considering all the C7s receiving damage from the Texas floods.
I recommend Intercity Transport, they will be priced comparable with Reliable, however much better communication and customer service. I've used both.
Quality/trust worthy auto transport isn't cheap, I recommend paying what it cost or traveling to and driving your C7 back. Don't use a broker, for every miss-guided person who will recommend
a broken there will be a 100 that will give you reasons why not to. Lots of auto transport horror stories out there.
Good luck!

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 07-20-2018 at 07:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
intercity lines (07-23-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

I used Montway to enclosed ship my C7 vert from Kerbeck (Atlantic City, NJ) to LA, CA area. $1,500 and six days. Very professional all the way.

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 07-20-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Hi Members,

I need some advice on purchasing a car out of state. I am from Michigan, and I have found a corvette I want to buy that is in Texas.
He has a loan on the car, and I am also financing the car.
What is the best way to make sure I feel secure? My credit union has to fund his credit union before I will even see the title.
Also, what is the best way to get the car to Michigan?
Ship via; UShip.com​​​​​​​.

Your financing company, and his financing company will make the transaction work. You will only send money to your financing company before the transaction. You will need to have your insurance in place on the vehicle, proving to your finance company of same.

All you have to do is to make certain that the car is not altered or damaged in any way, and is acceptable to you before driving off with the car.

***If there us any reason not acceptable to you upon pick up. Haul ***. All bets are off because the car was not as promised. That's it.

FWIW, I would never do a deal like this without seeing, driving, and inspection of the vehicle in person. Because I have done it.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:02 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Why not a fly in and drive it back expedition? Flight woud be cheap enough, and you can make it back to Michigan in 2 days, with a stop over in TN or possibly KY.

Could plan it for a weekend getaway...……………. fly Friday PM and drive back over the weekend.

Would be cheaper than shipping, and will give you plenty of seat time in your new Corvette!

Last edited by rkj427; 07-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
Why not a fly in and drive it back expedition? Flight woud be cheap enough, and you can make it back to Michigan in 2 days, with a stop over in TN or possibly KY.

Could plan it for a weekend getaway...……………. fly Friday PM and drive back over the weekend.

Would be cheaper than shipping, and will give you plenty of seat time in your new Corvette!
Thats what I did. Chicago to San Diego. What a blast!

Last edited by Vet Interested; 07-20-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:32 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
No better way to learn about your new ride than to drive it cross country for a couple of days, and on the overnight you can get on CF and get the inevitable questions answered!. Consider it "Cross Country Corvette Training"

Last edited by jimmbbo; 07-21-2018 at 02:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchasing a Car Out of State

Quick Reply: Purchasing a Car Out of State