C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I took my car to the Dealer for an oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Thought you were going to say you decided to buy a new one instead of getting the oil changed on the old one.

Bill
Old 07-27-2018, 07:44 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

^ LMAO!!
Old 07-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Thought you were going to say you decided to buy a new one instead of getting the oil changed on the old one.

Bill
Spot on!!!

☆☆☆☆☆ Stars response!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788
They changed my oil, they did not: damage the car, scratch the wheels, tear my interior..

They did what happens 99.9% of the time..

They changed my oil.. (I don’t even know if they over filled it as I have no intention of checking..) and they were even nice and polite....

Congratulations. Have a cookie.
(I had this same experience a few weeks ago.)

Old 07-27-2018, 08:43 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by A. Vandelay

I agree. Darren runs a tight ship there. I bring both my Corvette and Colorado there for service. Really like getting the video inspection texted to me as well.
MY cars never see a service Dept ever, but Darren at Ross downing will see to it your vette is treated right. Personal friend of mine for 2 decades and as knowledgeable as your going to find at a GM dealer.

John
Old 07-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Congratulations. Have a cookie.
(I had this same experience a few weeks ago.)
☆☆☆☆-Stars
Old 07-27-2018, 09:20 PM
GASCAR
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

My last vette I changed the oil and filter for the past 10 years. I purchased this new vette from MacMulkin in New Hampshire, I figure if they sell over a hundred corvettes a year they should be able to change my oil and filter. I went two weeks ago for my five hundred mile oil change. I did check the level when I got home, my only gripe was I found a smudge from the technicians hand on the hood, I wiped it off all was good.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:04 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,157 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
What matters is they burnt me for about $500.00, and never made it right. I would never trust them - Ross Downing Chevrolet Cadillac because of that.
It's not Ross Downing Chevrolet Cadillac, it's Ross Downing Chevrolet and Ross Downing Buick, Cadillac, GMC. Two different service departments and sales dealerships.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:05 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And that's the way it should be, right the first time---oil change, no drama, done right! Just like when I go to my regional-chain, excellent grocery store I kinda expect it to have oranges, coffee creamer, etc. in the store. When I go to the national chain auto parts store, I almost always find the auto parts I want in the store. My one-off, family hardware store has things most of the others don't have--so, I buy there, too. And someone at all of the stores is always ready to "collect the money" for their products. Especially at Costco!

What that tells me is POS (not Piece of _ _ _ _) Point of Sale registers or parts/backroom people are watching the sales and noting what needs to be re-stocked, or stocked in the first place, and by when. Almost every dealer that has a smooth, service operation has someone who watches over all supplies and parts to make sure they are "on-hand". Any dealer that doesn't, is losing money or leaving money in the pockets of potential customers because it only takes once for the savvy shopper to think, I'll go somewhere else where they are more "prepared."
Old 07-28-2018, 06:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788

They changed my oil.. (I don’t even know if they over filled it as I have no intention of checking..) and they were even nice and polite....

Hmm, why not check before you leave the dealer? Wet or dry sump, it’s not that hard and the level on the dip stick is key NOT some volume “Estimate” in a table.
Originally Posted by Can Vette
For those of us with '14's and 15's, the dealer oil change experience was not good in the beginning. So many dealers were using GM Dexos oil, not Mobil One, and too many of them had no idea about dry sumps in Z51 and Z06 either. Let alone fill levels.

Now, all of a sudden, with 2 year free oil changes all used up, My dealer is saying that a lot of owners are not paying for the Mobil One, as apparently, if you don't track your car, the Dexos is more than sufficient. And we know that the dealer makes more selling Mobil One.

Dry sump or wet the oil level is checked on the dip stick. The service manual clearly says the “volume estimate” in a table is just that an estimate the dip stick level is what is important and must be checked. Vette or Volt that is what should be done on any car. Been doing that for 60 years! No excuse for anyone. I do all my own changes and paid $2.40/quart for dexos approved 5-30 Mobil 1 after the Mobil rebate. Been getting that Mobil rebate since I got my Spterber 2013 built C7 Z51. Buy the oil and bring it to the dealer or Jiffy Lub!
It’s difficult to hire people who want to be mechanics! That is why you often see a “mechanic in training” working the oil change bay. Have the same issue in my field, welding! Recall while our industry was trying to deal with the welder shortage visiting the biggest ship yard and steel mill in South Korea and asking if it was difficult to get welders. Both said the same, “No we pay a lot!” May be the solution if we are going to get quality young folks into “blue collar” jobs!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-28-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:59 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

It’s difficult to hire people who want to be mechanics! That is why you often see a “mechanic in training” working the oil change bay. Have the same issue in my field, welding! Recall while our industry was trying to deal with the welder shortage visiting the biggest ship yard and steel mill in South Korea and asking if it was difficult to get welders. Both said the same, “No we pay a lot!” May be the solution if we are going to get quality young folks into “blue collar” jobs!
The flat rate pay system has been discussed. Both topper and jallen have decided that there's no problem with it because its the customers themselves that are the problem.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 07-28-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:22 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
The flat rate pay system has been discussed. Both topper and jallen have decided that there's no problem with it because its the customers themselves that are the problem.
In South Korea it’s simple they pay welders a lot! That shipyard is much bigger than Newport News and Ingalls Ship combined, the biggest in the US. The Posco steel mill is also huge and they have no raw material! They have to import iron ore and metallurgical coal from us! They just put their priorities as a country in manufacturing!

Manual skill jobs just have to be respected and paid better. I was on a group addressing those issues in SC. The fellow representing plumbers said it best: “We have too many lawyers and not enough plumbers. In fact those lawyers will have to learn the skill the next time their toilet backs-up and they try to get someone to fix it!”

Last edited by JerryU; 07-28-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:48 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

In South Korea it’s simple they pay welders a lot! That shipyard is much bigger than Newport News and Ingalls Ship combined, the biggest in the US. The Posco steel mill is also huge and they have no raw material! They have to import iron ore and metallurgical coal from us! They just put their priorities as a country in manufacturing!

Manual skill jobs just have to be respected and paid better. I was on a group addressing those issues in SC. The fellow representing plumbers said it best: “We have too many lawyers and not enough plumbers. In fact those lawyers will have to learn the skill the next time their toilet backs-up and they try to get someone to fix it!”
I'm not sure they have to be respected, but they do need to be paid fairly.
For myself, I decided long ago that if I cant beat the system, then I better join the right side. So I did.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:20 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

You are right it has been previously discussed. The techs or ex-techs you hear complaining are the failed and the incompetent.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
You are right it has been previously discussed. The techs or ex-techs you hear complaining are the failed and the incompetent.
Lol … its amazing how the total disconnect continues with you.

Its the customers that are complaining. How can you not see that ?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:27 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Lol … its amazing how the total disconnect continues with you.

Its the customers that are complaining. How can you not see that ?
I see customers discussing poor service, a lack of competent technicians, and the difficulty of attracting good people to certain occupations. All healthy discussions. You seem to want to move the topic somehow to flat rate which seems to be a personal obsession.

Flat-rate has been around for a hundred years and has long been considered the fairest compensation metric for technicians and the consumer. No one has yet come up with a better compensation plan and not for a lack of effort. Generally, those techs who cannot live with flat-rate are those who suffer from a lack of talent, training, or willingness to work.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:47 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I see customers discussing poor service, a lack of competent technicians, and the difficulty of attracting good people to certain occupations. All healthy discussions. You seem to want to move the topic somehow to flat rate which seems to be a personal obsession.

Flat-rate has been around for a hundred years and has long been considered the fairest compensation metric for technicians and the consumer. No one has yet come up with a better compensation plan and not for a lack of effort. Generally, those techs who cannot live with flat-rate are those who suffer from a lack of talent, training, or willingness to work.
Its not an obsession at all.
Its the root cause of many problems related to all the things you mentioned. The very fact dealers are still using a hundred year old system in modern times, ought to tell you something is wrong. Its like the dealership world is pretending that cars haven't changed during that period of time, and therefore, the approach to service shouldn't change. Nonsense.

Get notified of new replies

To I took my car to the Dealer for an oil change...

Old 07-28-2018, 10:12 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
For much of my working carrier I completed with Lincoln Electtic, who I respected (you can look them up, many articles in Harvard Business Review.). In the mid 1970’s some hourly workers where making $100,000/year as published in the Cleveland Plan Dealer, more than I was 60 miles away managing an R&D Lab!

JF Lincoln was a visionary from the era of Henry Ford. He introduced guaranteed employment (30 hrs) as he said how can you ask folks to work harder only to lose their job. He often wrote about his OSU football experience, saying folks don’t know their own capabilities unless challenged to do something they don’t think they can. He paid folks like pro ball, the most contributors made the most. To get that $100,000 salary (remember that was 1970’s dollars) you had to always beat your piece rate and work overtime when times were good. In that period at the end of the year they shared profits and the family (who owned most of the stock) took what he thought fair, a few percent over bank interest on their investment!

As was typical of the era, if as an hourly worker you earned $50,000 including incentive pay and overtime, your bonus was $50,000! They were often the top paying manufacturing company in the country.

J. F. lived to ~ 86 and wrote a book, incentive management as I recall, when he was 82. The company was then run by a guy out of his manufacturing mold and he lived another ~20 years. Their management philosophy did not change until about 1985. They are still a great company, building much of their product in Cleveland Ohio and fending off producers from China!

Getting paid extra for fast quality work provides the incentive to learn and improve your skills!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-28-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:20 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

^^^
For much of my working carrier I completed with Lincoln Electtic, who I respected (you can look them up, many articles in Harvard Business Review.). In the mid 1970’s some hourly workers where making $100,000/year as published in the Cleveland Plan Dealer, more than I was 60 miles away managing an R&D Lab!

JF Lincoln was a visionary from the era of Henry Ford. He introduced guaranteed employment (30 hrs) as he said how can you ask folks to work harder only to lose their job. He often wrote about his OSU football experience, saying folks don’t know their own capabilities unless challenged to do something they don’t think they can. He paid folks like pro ball, the most contributors made the most. To get that $100,000 salary (remember that was 1970’s dollars) you had to always beat your piece rate and work overtime when times were good. In that period at the end of the year they shared profits and the family (who owned most of the stock) took what he thought fair, ~1% over bank interest!

As was typical of the era, if as an hourly worker you earned $50,000 including incentive pay and overtime, your bonus was $50,000! They were often the top paying manufacturing company in the country.

J. F. lived to ~ 86 and wrote a book, incentive management as I recall, when he was 82. The company was then run by a guy out of his manufacturing mold and he lived another ~20 years. Their management philosophy did not change until about 1985. They are still a great company, building much of their product in Cleveland Ohio and fending off producers from China!
I am absolutely certain you are trying to tell me something important. I just cant tell what it is yet. Are you saying an ancient system of pay is the way to go ? Or are you saying hourly plus profit sharing ? Should I go buy this guys book ?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
Wouldn't hurt! He wrote two, one Incentive Mgt and another New Approach to Industrial Economics! As part of his philosophy he thought lowering price was a key business goal! The hardbound books are still only $6.25 at the Lincoln Foundation! I recall in the first book in the 1950's as I recall he said one reason was that keeps out foreign completion! There was no foreign completion in 1950's!

The fellow who became President in 1985, I considered a friend was on our Welding Societies Foundation Board with me. Great guy who recently died. He wrote a number of case studies published in Harvard Business Review, as he had an MBA from the university. He did change things adding products and raising prices, something J.F. Lincoln would never do! Only one person in that company through 1985 that could price a product or add one was the President! Interesting approach to low cost manufacturing!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-28-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: I took my car to the Dealer for an oil change...