C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I took my car to the Dealer for an oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:46 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^
Wouldn't hurt! He wrote two, one Incentive Mgt and another New Approach to Industrial Economics! As part of his philosophy he thought lowering price was a key business goal! The hardbound books are still only $6.25 at the Lincoln Foundation! I recall in the first book in the 1950's as I recall he said one reason was that keeps out foreign completion! There was no foreign completion in 1950's!

The fellow who became President in 1985, I considered a friend was on our Welding Societies Foundation Board with me. Great guy who recently died. He wrote a number of case studies published in Harvard Business Review, as he had an MBA from the university. He did change things adding products and raising prices, something J.F. Lincoln would never do! Only one person in that company through 1985 that could price a product or add one was the President! Interesting approach to low cost manufacturing!
Are you about to arrive at a point related to the discussion ?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788
They changed my oil, they did not: damage the car, scratch the wheels, tear my interior..

They did what happens 99.9% of the time..

They changed my oil.. (I don’t even know if they over filled it as I have no intention of checking..) and they were even nice and polite....

I live in your area. Which dealer did you use? I've had great experiences at Greico Chevy of Delray Beach.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 07-28-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Are you about to arrive at a point related to the discussion ?
Too long to post but you may be interested in this PDF. Wrote the basis for my management masters and updated with much more info I present as part of the "History of Welding: http://netwelding.com/Taylor_Ford_Li...ness_Ideas.pdf

Cover's Fred Taylor, Henry Ford and JF Lincoln. There are volumes written about the months of testimony in the Congressional Record in the 1930's about Fred Taylor, considered the father of a scientific approach to management. It summarizes his shovel experiments, incentive pay etc. Congress felt his methods were "pushing people to hard" and they enacted a law that said no government employee could use a stop watch and time study! That took until 1948 to repeal!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-28-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
It's not Ross Downing Chevrolet Cadillac, it's Ross Downing Chevrolet and Ross Downing Buick, Cadillac, GMC. Two different service departments and sales dealerships.
Same company. Same street (Hwy 51) Same one burnt me on a $500.00 service I paid. . If Ross Downing owns both, who do you think owns which one??

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-28-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

JohnAllen, I tell you what I am experiencing with my vehicles at many of the shops and towing services; shoddy, damaging service(s), companies that refuse to stand behind their work, and excuses from these companies that "we didn't do (damage that)." Also, I'm hearing dealer management say to expect more of this in the future, from their shoddy, poor quality producing personnel. That's what I'm getting from topper, and many shops I've used.
Ross Downing in Hammond, Louisiana is one shining example of poor quality in service.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:20 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
JohnAllen, I tell you what I am experiencing with my vehicles at many of the shops and towing services; shoddy, damaging service(s), companies that refuse to stand behind their work, and excuses from these companies that "we didn't do (damage that)." Also, I'm hearing dealer management say to expect more of this in the future, from their shoddy, poor quality producing personnel. That's what I'm getting from topper, and many shops I've used.
Ross Downing in Hammond, Louisiana is one shining example of poor quality in service.
I really do not know how you want me to respond to that. Seems a shame to be having that many service visits and problems with your almost brand-new car. Your results and input would certainly be contrary to all of the industry standard results. These results from the independents who deal in the field have a consensus that both the manufacturers product and the dealership efforts have improved greatly over the years and continue to do so.

Are there bad dealerships...absolutely! Are people mis-treated and taken advantage of occasionally ...absolutely! Does it happen every time...No! Are there two sides to every story, ridiculous expectations and bad customers...absolutely! My interest is in getting people to discuss in facts and not suppositions.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:22 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,157 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Same company. Same street (Hwy 51) Same one burnt me on a $500.00 service I paid. . If Ross Downing owns both, who do you think owns which one??
Obviously Ross Downing is owned by the same person. My point is there are different people working at the different shops and just because one treated you bad doesn't mean the other will too. With your logic I should stop going to Sonic for a breakfast burrito because the last one I stopped at in another city was horrible.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:32 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Its seems like its human nature for people to post all the negatives because they are upset about something but never really say anything about the good experiences. like everything else there are bad dealers out there but im sure there are more good than bad.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:56 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, I wanted to see how many posts a simple I had my oil changed and nothing went wrong would do.. 47, not bad... only took about 10 hours for the all dealers are "incompetent-a-holes-ripoff" etc. to join in. I guess they can't help themselves.. At least I don't think I received any personal insults ...

And no I did not check to see if they overfilled it, chances are since the dry sump holds 9.7 or is it 9.8 and oil is dispatched in quarts and as not every drop comes out when it is drained there is most likely an extra 1/2 quart in the car and truthfully I could not care less...

Anyway, thanks for participating...
Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

….it is drained there is most likely an extra 1/2 quart in the car and truthfully I could not care less...
Hmm, You :Truthfully could care less!" Suppose it's a quart over and you're cleaning up oil on you garage floor as it drips from you air filter! You're supposed to check your oil level at every gas fill-up. I don't even do that but to not "Give a S*%t"after you bring it to a dealer is down right "St*%*d!" Consider that an insult!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-30-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Well, I wanted to see how many posts a simple I had my oil changed and nothing went wrong would do.. 47, not bad... only took about 10 hours for the all dealers are "incompetent-a-holes-ripoff" etc. to join in. I guess they can't help themselves.. At least I don't think I received any personal insults ...

And no I did not check to see if they overfilled it, chances are since the dry sump holds 9.7 or is it 9.8 and oil is dispatched in quarts and as not every drop comes out when it is drained there is most likely an extra 1/2 quart in the car and truthfully I could not care less...

Anyway, thanks for participating...
Well when someone doesn't care about customers or their cars, it only makes sense that person wouldn't care about their own car.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
Boy that is convoluted logic! Have a good friend who has a couple of engineering degrees who keeps his cars ~10 years and never changes the antifreeze! He doesn’t “think” it’s necessary. To each ther own!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-30-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:19 PM
topper7788
Pro

RE: post 50 & 51

Thanks guys you made my day..... I needed GOOD LAUGH... It must really be tough having nothing better to do than post like that....
Old 07-30-2018, 04:20 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

^^
Boy that is convoluted logic! Have a good friend who has a couple of engineering degrees who keeps his cars ~10 years and never changes the antifreeze! He doesn’t “think” it’s necessary. To each ther own!
Jerry, I keep my cars 10 + years and don't change the antifreeze.
Do you start drinking before lunch ?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:22 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

RE: post 50 & 51

Thanks guys you made my day..... I needed GOOD LAUGH... It must really be tough having nothing better to do than post like that....
Yeah it is.
I was golfing but now I'm done.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:09 PM
topper7788
Pro

Yeah it is.
I was golfing but now I'm done.

Been there done that already, retired the first time at 55 when I sold my dealership... After 5 years with my mind turning to mush went back to work..much happier working. to each there own, at this point I will work till I decide I don't want to any longer.. My current thinking is I'll work to my young 70's health permitting... Not knocking anyone who is retired, but i assume from your tone your comment was supposed to be some kind of dig, I work because I chose to not because I have too, If you look at my profile you will see I have a house in Boynton Beach (La Boca Vista) After a while I dreaded going to the "Club" to hear about everyone's illnesses and complain about the corn beef and how slow the greens were this week. I think the real killer was I was turning into my father. Still have the house, but I won't go to the club.... Enjoy your game.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Been there done that already, retired the first time at 55 when I sold my dealership... After 5 years with my mind turning to mush went back to work..much happier working. to each there own, at this point I will work till I decide I don't want to any longer.. My current thinking is I'll work to my young 70's health permitting... Not knocking anyone who is retired, but i assume from your tone your comment was supposed to be some kind of dig, I work because I chose to not because I have too, If you look at my profile you will see I have a house in Boynton Beach (La Boca Vista) After a while I dreaded going to the "Club" to hear about everyone's illnesses and complain about the corn beef and how slow the greens were this week. I think the real killer was I was turning into my father. Still have the house, but I won't go to the club.... Enjoy your game.
Saturday is boring when everyday is Saturday.

Get notified of new replies

To I took my car to the Dealer for an oil change...

Old 07-30-2018, 05:22 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Saturday is boring when everyday is Saturday.

Two criteria for retirement:

1) Is your job still interesting to you?
2) Do you have enough energy to do your job?

Answer yes to both and you can put off retirement. Answer no to either one and you should be making a plan.

I'm currently 69, have 71 as a tentative retirement age, but my job also is my hobby and doesn't require physical exertion, so maybe I'll keep working.
By contrast I have a friend who is 55 and who continues to work only because he owns his own small construction company. He has cut way back on the amount of actual construction he does himself, partly on advice of his doctor. All of his management and planning skills are still in play.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:58 PM
topper7788
Pro

Hmm, You :Truthfully could care less!" Suppose it's a quart over and you're cleaning up oil on you garage floor as it drips from you air filter! You're supposed to check your oil level at every gas fill-up. I don't even do that but to not "Give a S*%t"after you bring it to a dealer is down right "St*%*d!" Consider that an insult!
by the way, what page in the owners manual does it say to check the oil level after an oil change? I must have missed it?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

by the way, what page in the owners manual does it say to check the oil level after an oil change? I must have missed it?
Clearly says that in The 4 volume service manual. It says the volume in a table is an estimate. Check the dip stick. Been doing that for 60 years! That is what a good mechanic does but with a dry sump it's a PIA as it takes getting the oil hot and checking after 5 minutes of shutting the engine off but not more than 10 (or when oil drains back to the pan you'll get a false low reading.) Often folks working the oil chage bay don't take the time! It's the oil level that is important NOT some table volume estimate. Wet sump or dry. It's NOT just that you're not sure how much oil drained. The Owner's Manual has warnings, wet sump and dry that say IF over the Max level remove oil.

CAUTION FROM OWNER'S MANUAL: "Do not add too much oil. Oil levels above or below the acceptable operating range shown on the dipstick are harmful to the engine. If you find that you have an oil level above the operating range, i.e., the engine has so much oil that the oil level gets above the cross-hatched area that shows the proper operating range, the engine could be damaged. You should drain out the excess oil or limit driving of the vehicle and seek a service professional to remove the excess amount of oil."

Last edited by JerryU; 07-30-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: I took my car to the Dealer for an oil change...