C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I took my car to the Dealer for an oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:00 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lol …
Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
You're not comprehending what Jerry was saying. He wasn't saying that a dealership changed his oil and only put in 5 quarts. He was merely saying that with the dry sump system if you check the oil level after the engine has been shut off for days, it'll show as if it's 5 quarts low even though it is not. He was merely expressing how tricky it is to get a proper reading on a dry sump oil change if you don't follow the exact proper procedure right to the letter. Most GM techs won't warm up the engine again so that the oil reaches 175 and then shut it down and wait exactly 5-10 minutes to check the level. And you might think overfilling is not a problem, but it is, it can make a real mess when that excess oil gets into the intake tube, messing up the MAF and the air filter, etc. Is that really something that you think is not a big deal?
I agree. And add that with the new ESP 0-40 currently in L bottles instead of quarts, it's not a typical drain and fill scenario. In fact, I asked the "trained certified tech" to give me the 10th liter bottle so I could top off myself. He stared me in the face and said "I used all 10 bottles, they were quarts." Also, I did not hear my car being fired up to reach the 175 temp to check the oil. The only time he started the car was to back it out of the mechanic's bay. So yah, it's fine to trust, but it's just simply smart to verify.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:00 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 455 Likes on 342 Posts

I had ny 1st oil change today with Andy the Vettre mechanic at Kastle chevy ,elk grove ,il. He inspected the diff. all tires and in total 27 things for my initial 500 mile oil/filter change. He told me how to check the oil level 5 - 10 min. after warm up to have the correct reading . He used pucks and rubber to protect my New 2019 G S. I trust him and will recommend him to others.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-03-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

just another example of dealership incompetency... check your oil!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-overfill.html
Old 08-07-2018, 10:56 PM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^
Wouldn't hurt! He wrote two, one Incentive Mgt and another New Approach to Industrial Economics! As part of his philosophy he thought lowering price was a key business goal! The hardbound books are still only $6.25 at the Lincoln Foundation! I recall in the first book in the 1950's as I recall he said one reason was that keeps out foreign completion! There was no foreign completion in 1950's!

The fellow who became President in 1985, I considered a friend was on our Welding Societies Foundation Board with me. Great guy who recently died. He wrote a number of case studies published in Harvard Business Review, as he had an MBA from the university. He did change things adding products and raising prices, something J.F. Lincoln would never do! Only one person in that company through 1985 that could price a product or add one was the President! Interesting approach to low cost manufacturing!
Explain to me exactly what is "foreign COMPLETION".
Old 08-07-2018, 11:41 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Maybe he meant foreign competition?
Old 08-08-2018, 12:33 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Never had a problem with my local dealer messing something up when working on my car. But, as posted on the forum many times, that can't be said of all dealers.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:50 AM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Maybe he meant foreign competition?

Well, he used the word twice, so maybe he just didn't do well in primary school.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:46 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
U are a trusting soul. I hope everything was done correctly. I am paranoid my nature so I check behind every thing I have done. Glad your experience was good.
If I had been a trusting soul with my local chevy dealer, my 2011 ZR1 M6 tranny would have been trashed by now. They took three attempts to stop a leaky cooler line leak at the housing last December and then gave it back to me a full 2 qts low of fluid even though it had been leaking all over the rear side of the car when brought to them.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:50 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Can Vette
For those of us with '14's and 15's, the dealer oil change experience was not good in the beginning. So many dealers were using GM Dexos oil, not Mobil One, and too many of them had no idea about dry sumps in Z51 and Z06 either. Let alone fill levels.

Now, all of a sudden, with 2 year free oil changes all used up, My dealer is saying that a lot of owners are not paying for the Mobil One, as apparently, if you don't track your car, the Dexos is more than sufficient. And we know that the dealer makes more selling Mobil One.

So yes, Oil Changes seemed to have come a long way in the last few years.
Wait..."two years of free oil changes"...or "two free oil changes?" I thought it was only two free, not two years free! At least that's what I was told when I bought the car in December.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by gtfd2
i had the same experience with a dealer yesterday. With a little added attention. When i went out to get the car 3 of the employees were admiring it. They had not seen a so up close in the sun yet.
so?
Old 08-10-2018, 05:41 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IAIA
Wait..."two years of free oil changes"...or "two free oil changes?" I thought it was only two free, not two years free! At least that's what I was told when I bought the car in December.
Its 3 free. the 500 miles change and then 2 more.. total 3
Old 08-17-2018, 04:29 AM
railgun
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Whatever it is I would no way take my car back to a dealership. $100 for oil and filter DIY is a small price to pay for not having your car screwed up by the cheapest incompetent "mechanics" available. Free oil change and $1000+ damage to the car. GREAT!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^^
The risk of lifting improperly and not filling correctly is too great. Have changed all my own oil in 5 Vettes, two of which have been C7's. Free is also not worth wondering if the Tech will get 10 quarts of Mobil 1 from the parts department and drag them to the oil change work bay versus pulling the handle on the pump from the 55 gallon drums of whatever cheap dexos approved oil the boss has in the oil change bay!

BUT what is this $100? For all C7's I have bought dexos certified 5-30 Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs from Walmart (recently checked and they are $23 each.) Last change Walmart had the proper AC filter for $6. Mobil has had a rebate (twice a year for several months) since I got my 2014 Z51. You get $12 per 5 quart jug-two allowed. Therefore two 5 quart jugs cost after the rebate $14/jug = $28 +6 for the filter = $34 total cost. It's also quicker for me to change the oil versus the hour round trip into town, assuming it was done instantly. More like a wasted morning!

But when I get older (currently only 75!) I'll consider what some are doing and bring the oil and filter to a Jiffy Lub etc where they have a pit and I can watch the tech drain the two plugs and ask to see the magnetic drain plugs I installed to be sure he removes both! I'll also ask him to only hand tighten the filter 3/4 turn from touching!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-17-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:07 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
The risk of lifting improperly and not filling correctly is too great. Have changed all my own oil in 5 Vettes, two of which have been C7's. Free is also not worth wondering if the Tech will get 10 quarts of Mobil 1 from the parts department and drag them to the oil change work bay versus pulling the handle on the pump from the 55 gallon drums of whatever cheap dexos approved oil the boss has in the oil change bay!

BUT what is this $100? For all C7's I have bought dexos certified 5-30 Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs from Walmart (recently checked and they are $23 each.) Last change Walmart had the proper AC filter for $6. Mobil has had a rebate (twice a year for several months) since I got my 2014 Z51. You get $12 per 5 quart jug-two allowed. Therefore two 5 quart jugs cost after the rebate $14/jug = $28 +6 for the filter = $34 total cost. It's also quicker for me to change the oil versus the hour round trip into town, assuming it was done instantly. More like a wasted morning!

But when I get older (currently only 75!) I'll consider what some are doing and bring the oil and filter to a Jiffy Lub etc where they have a pit and I can watch the tech drain the two plugs and ask to see the magnetic drain plugs I installed to be sure he removes both! I'll also ask him to only hand tighten the filter 3/4 turn from touching!
What do you do with your waste oil ?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^
For a low tax State, SC gets a lot of credit for having a very good recycle program and facilities. The state supplies the land (one 5 miles from where I live) and it's staffed by one person. They take oil, filters, tires, batteries cardboard, paper, appliances, yard derbies and garbage. They recently set up one in town to take electronic items where they sell that stuff to folks who strip the parts.

As I recall most selling oil will take it back.

Side Bar:
We have a number of paper mills who probably pay for the cardbord (or certainly pay for the transportation to the mill) and suspect the oil and tires are sold. Toured a large papermill where, like most in SC they made cardboard for packaging. It mostly gets shipped to China to be made into the boxes for all the manufactured stuff they sell us! Reminded of the tour of the largest warehousing operation Harbor Freight has, now over 1 million square feet. (They only have two one on the coast and the other in our area.) It takes 60 tractor trailer load of product that comes in from China via container ship on one side and moves it to 70 trucks on the other side that go to their stores! Those truck numbers were before they just doubled the size of the facility! Could be twice that number number now. Yep we're very good at distribution! Sad!

Recently toured a very large investment by a company who can burn up to 20% tires in their high temperature fluidized bed boiler with close to zero pollution. That 75 million dollar biomass boiler installed by Sonoco also started a new industry. SC is a large exporter of wood pulp, trees and lubber. We replant more than consumed. When they cut trees, much for wood pulp, it has always left stumps and many branches. Now several companies come after the trees are removed and chop what is left and sell it to Sonoco's biomass boiler they use for steam and power generation!

There is also a company that shreds tires and I have used their chopped up tires, stained brown as mulch instead of pine straw. It doesn't degrade or float away like wood chips. Looks like wood bark mulch!

In June we toured a Johnson Controls battery recycling plant where they crush 1600 car batteries/hour and get 99% recovery of the lead and plastic that goes to their plants making car batteries! Essentially pollution free and it's monitored carefully by themselves and the State! They put the daily lead levels on their website! That includes in the woods they own around the plate where it is zero!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-17-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: I took my car to the Dealer for an oil change...