Sponsored by:

Ceramic coated headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:31 PM
2 seats
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ceramic coated headers

mid length arh headers. I want to get the ceramic coated but I’m getting mixed opinions on coating the inside. I’ve seen where the coating flakes off and clogged up the cats. Where as doing outside only stresses the stainless. To do the insides or not to do?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:59 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Use some header wrap on your headers and x-pipe. That works better and it will insulate the Vette from some exhaust HEAT.. Win, Win..
Old 07-27-2018, 10:39 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I talked to ARH and they dont recommend a coating at all. Honestly, I dont notice them getting all that hot. Maybe if your car is a full on race car running at WOT for long periods of time.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:54 PM
2 seats
Instructor

Originally Posted by spinkick
I talked to ARH and they dont recommend a coating at all. Honestly, I dont notice them getting all that hot. Maybe if your car is a full on race car running at WOT for long periods of time.
they told me the same thing. I was mainly doing it for a clean look,just wasn’t sure about coating the inside or not. Seen mixed reviews
Old 07-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 seats
mid length arh headers. I want to get the ceramic coated but I’m getting mixed opinions on coating the inside. I’ve seen where the coating flakes off and clogged up the cats. Where as doing outside only stresses the stainless. To do the insides or not to do?

I'm with Nick, seen way to many warped flanges and busted welds...

Regards
Chip
Old 07-28-2018, 06:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Have Sanderson ceramic coated long tube headers on my 18 year old street rod! Look almost new.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:54 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,704 Likes on 2,995 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Custom Corvette Accessories
I'm with Nick, seen way to many warped flanges and busted welds...

Regards
Chip
"Busted welds & warped flanges" from ceramic coating? I have to politely disagree with this statement
Old 07-28-2018, 07:28 PM
2 seats
Instructor

Originally Posted by 449er
"Busted welds & warped flanges" from ceramic coating? I have to politely disagree with this statement
I’m so confused. Is ceramic coating a bad thing? Mainly wanted them for the look “flat black”. One coater says do the insides and one says just do the outside and most individuals say don’t do it for reasons listed above 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 07-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I agree with Spin , unless your car is a full on track car, there is nothing that is going to radiate more heat than that block of cast iron GM calls the exhaust manifolds , then add to it the CATs that are right under it , between the block , frame rail , firewall and starter because GM need them to heat up fast for emissions . And everybody is worried about 4 stainless tubes that have way more clearance around them for airflow and a set of cats that is now down in the tunnel.....
Don't coat them , it just causes stress risers if they get to hot.
Dave
The following users liked this post:
spinkick (01-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:17 PM
2 seats
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I agree with Spin , unless your car is a full on track car, there is nothing that is going to radiate more heat than that block of cast iron GM calls the exhaust manifolds , then add to it the CATs that are right under it , between the block , frame rail , firewall and starter because GM need them to heat up fast for emissions . And everybody is worried about 4 stainless tubes that have way more clearance around them for airflow and a set of cats that is now down in the tunnel.....
Don't coat them , it just causes stress risers if they get to hot.
Dave
kinda disappointed hearing this because they get ugly after a while. Is there any other coating to put on them?wanted to do them black. 😞
Old 07-29-2018, 03:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

kinda disappointed hearing this because they get ugly after a while. Is there any other coating to put on them?wanted to do them black. ��

I don't know why all the concern! I've had headers that were uncoated and it a short time they look bad ('67 Corvair, 260Z, V8 CJ5 Jeep!) As mentioned, I have long tube headers on the 502 cid BB Chevy in my ProStreet Rod and they look fine after 18 years. Would not still be getting trophies at car shows with rusted headers! They are quality headers from Sanderson and when I bought them 18 years ago they offered silver. Now they offer both silver and black. Ceramic coating costs ~$200 more-well worth it IMO.

Sanderson uses thick flanges and quality welds. Welds that bust are poor ones! My headers get hot! Don't try touching them! What do you expect with ~2000 F exhaust gas passing through!

If concerned get stainless!

Headers after assembling the 502/502 crate engine from some 30 boxes of parts 18 years ago! Look almost as good today.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-29-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Maxie2U (01-28-2019)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:20 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

kinda disappointed hearing this because they get ugly after a while. Is there any other coating to put on them?wanted to do them black. 😞
I have used hi heat black an they looked good for may years ...
Dave
Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
I don't know why all the concern! I've had headers that were uncoated and it a short time they look bad ('67 Corvair, 260Z, V8 CJ5 Jeep!) As mentioned, I have long tube headers on the 502 cid BB Chevy in my ProStreet Rod and they look fine after 18 years.
Jerry , what type of car is your pro street rod ?
how many miles do u put on it in a year?
Dave
Old 07-29-2018, 08:28 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Jerry , what type of car is your pro street rod ?
how many miles do u put on it in a year?
Dave
Not many now! Mostly goes to Shows.

The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
blkvet6 (07-29-2018), ElisTwoCents (02-16-2019)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:43 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

That's beautiful .....

Dave
JerryU (07-29-2018)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:43 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

FWIW, I had Kooks stainless stepped headers on my 454 cu in LS7 in my C6Z that flowed into a B&B fusion exhaust. When I pulled the motor for a refresh ( I tracked it heavily and had an A.R.E. dry sump pan issue) I had the headers/ X-pipe ceramic coated by Jet Hot inside/out. Besides the obvious appearance upgrade, there was a MASSIVE decrease in under-hood temperatures!!! ANY car I do in the future will have the headers/x-pipe coated including my current LT5. besides cost, I saw ZERO downside to coating.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:57 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

As long as you get a good coated set of headers you will do good on the outside and inside. THIS IS LIKE EVERY THING ELSE YOU CAN BUY, if you get the coating that will go up to like 2,k plus deg's it will do great and will keep that look and not break down. Some of these vendors in here the coating that you get that they give you that is free is junk.... ASK ME HOW I KNOW THAT. Had to pull a set off my c5 and have them redone within 6 months after putting them on.

Like John said above here if you use the wrap on them IT REALLY WILL DO BETTER THAN THE COATING ON THEM AS FAR, as keeping the temp's down from under the hood by a long shot.... Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 01-28-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic coated headers

Old 01-28-2019, 04:42 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I've had JetHot coated TPiS headers on my car for years, eventually it will flake off the underside of the header if you drive pretty much daily, and there is where it will start to rust. My inside-coated headers have clogged up the main cat, but I believe this was primarily due to the car dropping into open loop at idle and part-throttle cruise and it running too rich.

It does make a huge difference in underhood temperatures to have them coated however. Wrap does help temps, but I will never wrap a header because this usually invites rust inside the wrap. Some brands with higher quality stainless may never do so, but I learned my lesson.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robert miller
As long as you get a good coated set of headers you will do good on the outside and inside. THIS IS LIKE EVERY THING ELSE YOU CAN BUY, if you get the coating that will go up to like 2,k plus deg's it will do great and will keep that look and not break down. Some of these vendors in here the coating that you get that they give you that is free is junk.... ASK ME HOW I KNOW THAT. Had to pull a set off my c5 and have them redone within 6 months after putting them on.

Like John said above here if you use the wrap on them IT REALLY WILL DO BETTER THAN THE COATING ON THEM AS FAR, as keeping the temp's down from under the hood by a long shot.... Robert
I've had Sanderson long tube ceramic coated in and outside headers on my Street Rod for 19 years! They look about the same now as in this pic from when I assembled the 502 cid engine from some 30 boxes that came in a wood crate!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-29-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:17 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I have ceramchromed Bassett headers on my 79 Cole with a pump gas 565 BBC. Coated inside and out 8 years and a couple of hundred hours ago. They still look new and actually continue to get better looking after every polish job. I asked constantly how I keep my "chrome" from turning blue. These headers are also water injected so above 1500 rpm they also have water flowing with the gases, These headers were first built in 1988 so they are living testaments to the benefits of HTC. The exterior of the tubes also stay much cooler than raw, chrome or painted tubes. Go for inside and out, the powder is sprayed on then baked, I see no way this could compromise the integrity of the metal. Besides the headers my oil pan and intake manifold are also coated. Very easy to maintain a chrome like appearance.
JerryU (01-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Ceramic coated headers