Sponsored by:

How I solved the front license plate problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I keep my plate between seats. If pulled over, I can slide it out when cop is not looking and slide it on the dash. Sorry officer you must have not seen it.... Worked 3-4 X
Then a, Sorry officer, I just got the car from an out of state seller and the mounting bracket is back ordered at the dealer. Worked 1 X
I will NOT ruin the looks of my C7.
The stow and go sounds good but I scrape my splitter all the time, I'm sure I would wreck it.
Fritz in NY
Old 08-13-2018, 01:48 PM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R

Sorry, I’m not buying that as a valid reason since license plates are issued by states, not the federal government. 19 states don’t even issue front plates. No state or the federal government can require a front plate if a state doesn’t issue one no matter the “security” reasons for them.

Since We're talking about California, how about a MONETARY reason for plates? Traffic cameras are getting more common. How can the state issue a ticket if they can't take a picture of your plate?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by I Fly Low
Since We're talking about California, how about a MONETARY reason for plates? Traffic cameras are getting more common. How can the state issue a ticket if they can't take a picture of your plate?
I don't think those camera shuold be legal either. They cause more wrecks than they help and I am tired of the govt trying to steal my money because they don't know how to manage the money they have.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:03 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bankers1
I keep my plate between seats. If pulled over, I can slide it out when cop is not looking and slide it on the dash. Sorry officer you must have not seen it.... Worked 3-4 X
Then a, Sorry officer, I just got the car from an out of state seller and the mounting bracket is back ordered at the dealer. Worked 1 X
I will NOT ruin the looks of my C7.
The stow and go sounds good but I scrape my splitter all the time, I'm sure I would wreck it.
Fritz in NY
I like the way you think. Going to try to the plate between the seats ploy.
I have also told an officer that I didn't put the plate on because I think they are ugly and ruins the look of the car. And luckily him being a car guy agreed. But he said I will give you a warning this time and I said ok. And he was a DPS too they never give warnings.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:13 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Only time I received a fix-it for the plate--and this is over 3 corvettes and 14 years--is at the LAX parking lot. Now when I go there, I park in front of a pillar, and close as possible to it. So they can't even see the front of the car.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:21 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
If I declare my vette a sanctuary vette, then am I exempt from following federal laws?
Depends...if in Krapifornia you would need to be an illegal alien without a drivers license or insurance...then you would get a Certificate of Merit with a stamp saying "No Laws Apply".
The following users liked this post:
vettenevodrvr (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:55 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FunDriver
Depends...if in Krapifornia you would need to be an illegal alien without a drivers license or insurance...then you would get a Certificate of Merit with a stamp saying "No Laws Apply".
Preach it, Brother!
Old 08-14-2018, 12:52 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom760
Yup...Did the same and used GM Aeroplate mount that came with my C7...

But I also have STO N SHO (below) which I prefer as its very easy to remove for shows and meets...Most of the time I keep my plate and bracket in the hatch just in case CA cop pulls me over.....

The only problem is that the license plate reduces air flow into the engine, bad idea. So, i drilled holes in mine, you should be okay as ling as you dont alter the numbers/letters.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,851 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
The only problem is that the license plate reduces air flow into the engine, bad idea. So, i drilled holes in mine, you should be okay as ling as you dont alter the numbers/letters.
Drilling holes in license plate wouldn't fly here in CA and would create a bigger target than having no plate at all...

GM claims the Aeroplate isn't an issue if your not tracking your Vette...Originally I did have the Aeroplate installed for a while and I saw no increase in my coolant temps...Even here in SoCal desert where temps have been averaging ~115F.....So it's not necessarily a bad idea if your not tracking...

That said I did change over to the STO N SHO plate shown below which doesn't really obstruct airflow and is easy to remove for shows and meets...I'm very pleased with this setup and actually looks pretty good IMO...

Last edited by tadda; 08-14-2018 at 01:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vettenevodrvr (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:14 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm still playing the "not yet ticketed " game!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
I have the Sto-N-Sho. I am surprised nobody has talked about what happens when you pull out of the driveway and scrape. The two holes on mine are bent, which no longer allows to receive the license plate.

Anyone else of that problem and how did you fix it? Did you cut off the damaged part?
While I haven't purchased one, I wondered if that was an issue after watching an installation video.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,851 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
I have the Sto-N-Sho. I am surprised nobody has talked about what happens when you pull out of the driveway and scrape. The two holes on mine are bent, which no longer allows to receive the license plate.

Anyone else of that problem and how did you fix it? Did you cut off the damaged part?

Interesting....I have a STO N SHO and have never scraped it...

Old 08-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

If the hole(s) are just bent near the tip, cutting that part off might work. I also suspect he would sell you a new receiver at a low price. Give him a call. It's a family-run business by he and his daughter. Mine has never scraped either.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-14-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
I'm still playing the "not yet ticketed " game!!!

you and me both neighbor
Old 08-20-2018, 06:47 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 123vette456
Got a ticket for no front license in California. Took them 40 years to catch me but so be it. I took the standard GM grill front frame that comes with the "corvette" plate and mounted the frame as GM directed. ( By the way this all came with my C7 from GM) No drilled holes required. It just attached to the center of the front grill. Then I bent the license a little and two sided taped it over the "corvette" plate that attaches to the frame. Popped it in and done. Took it to be signed off and then removed the frame and plate with no harm done. No need to buy a fancy license plate holder and you can leave it on if you wish.
i did same thing. But I painted mine carbon flash. If you notice there are two holes in license plate that allows me to get to mounting screws , so I can take off without disassembling.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
And he was a DPS too they never give warnings.
I've never gotten a citation from DPS (State Trooper). Only warnings. The last one was when I was doing 95 mph in a 65. The other 65 in a 55. It helps when you're just out there working - as I was though.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

That sticks way out there! 😨
​​​​​​​...

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-20-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How I solved the front license plate problem

Old 08-20-2018, 11:24 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

I have the retractable; for a couple of year now. With modification - it cycles at each ignition cycle automatically: every engine start and the plate raises. Upon engine shut off the plate retracts.

video of it operating (7mb)

http://www.tim-yvonne.com/mikemercury/c7/MM-Plate.wmv

Mike Mercury,

Man that is sooo cool!

Way to GO Mike!

Which brand is it?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 AM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

You need a front plate in CA but you can drive around without plates for 90 days on new cars...I don't get it.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Mike Mercury,

Which brand is it?

"West Coast Corvette Show N Go Electric Powered License Plate Frame"

it comes with a keyfob controller.

Quick Reply: How I solved the front license plate problem