Lost part of my air dam

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:36 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
When I clicked on that link, Windows Defender blocked it as unsafe.
Strange I have ~40 Vette PDFs and first anyone had that happen. I click on them to copy the URL and never had that message. They come directly from my website that gets thousands of visits each day.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I was hoping the block was a one time glitch, but no.
I can click on the link normally, but when I ask to open the file I get that warning and block.

Is that same compilation posted somewhere else?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I was hoping the block was a one time glitch, but no.
I can click on the link normally, but when I ask to open the file I get that warning and block.

Is that same compilation posted somewhere else?
Sent PM with two methods.

Jerry
Old 08-27-2018, 10:03 AM
nightroddersp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I replace mine after running over a mean old alligator(Tractor tire treads). Replace the the passenger side air dam and the center one, plus the passenger side wheel well. My 85 Trans am wouldn't run on the highway with out at least the center air dam. Since the TA doesn't have a grill the air passes up from underneath.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Easy replacement, 7mm socket, short extension and about 15 minutes' work
Chevrolet GM OEM 14-16 Corvette Front Bumper Grille-Lower Deflector 22799212
Thanks for the tip. ^^^^

bimmerborn, and jerryu,
Thanks too, (all) for the replies and additional information, photos and graphics.

My C7 isn't going to be driven over 75 to 80 mph, so the racing aspects of air-damming to me, aren't of consequence. What is of interest are fuel economy AND engine cooling.

Keeping air-damming in place for engine cooling and fuel economy on my non-Z51 is of high importance to me. Accordingly, learning how to DIY replace damaged air-damming is something that I want to know how to do!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
It will have a small mpg improvement at highway speeds but no quantifiable data. However unlike some prior Vettes that were called “bottom breathers” the C7 gets all it‘s cooling air from the grill.

It all goes through the radiator and the upper 1/3 of that exits though the hood vent. The remainder exits through the side vents and open areas next to the engine.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-27-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My plastic air dams and screws are still in the back from when I bought the car last week. Dealer said most people don't want them on because they break off so easily. I thought about leaving them off but if there are key functional differences between not on and on then I'll screw them on tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:22 PM
montanaman
Racer

Just took a look at the operation and damn these cars are low. I don't have a jack and I can't get enough room to make it happen. I'll have to take it to the local dealer and have them put them on. It sounds like a good idea if it aid's high speed wind flow and such.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
From the number of posts of the center air dams breaking, have to think GM made a change in materials. This is why:

My C6 Z51 had a center and side air dams. They scraped moderately every time I left my driveway. No big deal. About once a year I would sandpaper the lower edge. They looked fine and never broke or split.

The C6 air dams were somewhat lower than the C7 as evidenced by my C7 Z51 and my Grand Sport side air dams seldom scraping when I leave my driveway. If I pull out fast I will hear some modest sound. They are designed to bend so the material should be durable enough to do that without breaking unless you hit an 18 wheeler tire tread etc.

Just an observation.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:14 PM
montanaman
Racer

So I was able to get the right and left side air dam on but there are 4 holes for the bolts on the plastic dam but only 3 line up with the u-clips that are under the car. The two outboard ones line up and the one closest to the center line up but one of the middle ones does not. I have enough bolts for 4 per side and 6 for the center so am I missing something? They seem secure enough with just the 3 but I'm that guy. I could drill a hole in the plastic and make a new hole to line up with the 4th u-clip but I'd rather not if not needed.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:52 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
So I was able to get the right and left side air dam on but there are 4 holes for the bolts on the plastic dam but only 3 line up with the u-clips that are under the car. The two outboard ones line up and the one closest to the center line up but one of the middle ones does not. I have enough bolts for 4 per side and 6 for the center so am I missing something? They seem secure enough with just the 3 but I'm that guy. I could drill a hole in the plastic and make a new hole to line up with the 4th u-clip but I'd rather not if not needed.
You're calling it an air dam but as far as I know--mine, at least--is a rubber-type product, not plastic. The splitter, however, is more of a plastic-like product.
Meanwhile, I find it very strange that the holes don't line up. Possibly the wrong part? Another oddity is that they left the air dams off. THOSE are the items that usually ARE put on. It's the front splitter and side skirts that they often leave off for fear of test drive maniacs and negligent employees damaging them.
You may want to try to find a list similar to what JerryU posted here (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-breaking.html) in post #26. He shows the models of 2017/18 GS's that have the center air dams, and those that don't. Only the base GS without the stage 2 or 3 aero packages has the center air dam in those years. Maybe yours wasn't supposed to have one anyway?

Last edited by IAIA; 08-28-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:54 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^
From the number of posts of the center air dams breaking, have to think GM made a change in materials. This is why:

My C6 Z51 had a center and side air dams. They scraped moderately every time I left my driveway. No big deal. About once a year I would sandpaper the lower edge. They looked fine and never broke or split.

The C6 air dams were somewhat lower than the C7 as evidenced by my C7 Z51 and my Grand Sport side air dams seldom scraping when I leave my driveway. If I pull out fast I will hear some modest sound. They are designed to bend so the material should be durable enough to do that without breaking unless you hit an 18 wheeler tire tread etc.

Just an observation.
Agree. My C6 Z06 hardly had any issues in 6 years. I think I had to repair it once. Now I've had two repairs to the tabs on the C7 GS air dam in about 9 months. But hopefully the metal "clips" I epoxied will hold.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Rich0071
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default center air dam

[QUOTE=JerryU;1597875276]
^^

Just an observation.
I have a steep concrete driveway (7%) and the original center air dam tore after about a year. Replaced it with one from the dealer and it tore the first time down the driveway. The new one appeared to be slightly more flexible than the old. Tore it completely off since it didn't seem like a good idea to be dragging around the thing and have it eventually being debris on the highway. Not replacing it again. The tire dams get scraped, especially down the driveway. They are in poor shape and had to remount one of the clips on the right side as the dam was hanging a little low.

Last edited by Rich0071; 08-28-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 08-28-2018, 01:45 PM
bc928
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Thanks for the tip. ^^^^

Thanks too, (all) for the replies and additional information, photos and graphics.

My C7 isn't going to be driven over 75 to 80 mph, so the racing aspects of air-damming to me, aren't of consequence. What is of interest are fuel economy AND engine cooling.

Keeping air-damming in place for engine cooling and fuel economy on my non-Z51 is of high importance to me. Accordingly, learning how to DIY replace damaged air-damming is something that I want to know how to do!
Wait, what?

Last edited by bc928; 08-28-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

A possible factor in some of the problems would be that no two Corvettes have the same ride height. Probably a combination of not being set accurately at the factory, and then settles a bit over the first 500-1,000 miles. Kinda like the alignment problems on new 'vettes.

The Service Manual has a chart showing the proper ride height and tolerances for all the different models of C7, C6 Manual was similar. The chart allows you to measure from the top of the wheel well arches to the pavement (new tires, full fuel, no people or luggage), or be more precise and measure some suspension points under the car but that method has its own difficulties.

Our 2017 Z51 was about 1/8" low in front and 3/8" low in the back, each turn of the adjustment bolts changes that corner by about 3/32" after you drive a couple of hundred miles to re-settle everything. In addition to scraping the side pieces more than our C6, our C7 actually had a high-centered scrape in the middle over some speed bumps in Phoenix, regardless of approach angle or speed. It took the dealer a couple of tries to get it right on spec, but I'm hopeful for this winter out west. Of course, I've got more miles on the tires now and that may cancel the benefit, but hopefully it's enough.

For aerodynamics, having the proper front-rear rake is important; you don't want your Corvette to try being an airplane. For front clearance, having the rear a bit too low in relation to the front will actually give a bit more front clearance because of the angle change. I go for the stock height and rake, hope for the best.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:53 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

it is a pos. mine ripped the first cpl weeks, i took it in and stealer says i hit something, crawled underneath it took the screws out, done.
GS don t have it, so i don t need it, specially to just tear again.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

So GM and JerryU's sources don't know what they're talking about, right?
GM just puts the air dam on your car because they want it to be a little heavier and cost a little more?

If you said "I never ever drive over 70 mph or corner hard at that speed, so I should be ok without it", that would be reasonable.
But to say that you don't need it because "GS don't have it", sounds silly.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost part of my air dam

Old 08-28-2018, 05:07 PM
ONEOF137
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The "center section" of my deflector on my '17 C7 Stingray, tore at the horizontal crease/seam after just 2,500 miles. I have searched for a better/upgraded aftermarket deflector, but have not found one. With so many owners who have had issues, why wouldn't there be a supplier who has made a replacement that is more durable?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:33 PM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by IAIA
You're calling it an air dam but as far as I know--mine, at least--is a rubber-type product, not plastic. The splitter, however, is more of a plastic-like product.
Meanwhile, I find it very strange that the holes don't line up. Possibly the wrong part? Another oddity is that they left the air dams off. THOSE are the items that usually ARE put on. It's the front splitter and side skirts that they often leave off for fear of test drive maniacs and negligent employees damaging them.
You may want to try to find a list similar to what JerryU posted here (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-breaking.html) in post #26. He shows the models of 2017/18 GS's that have the center air dams, and those that don't. Only the base GS without the stage 2 or 3 aero packages has the center air dam in those years. Maybe yours wasn't supposed to have one anyway?
Your right they are more like rubber. The 3 black pieces that get screwed in under the center and left and right in front of the wheels what ever those are called. I just put them all on and other than one hole not being able to attach with a screw on the right/left sides they are on securely for now. I'm sure they won't last the rest of the summer but I'll give them a try based on other comments here. It like what someone here said... GM wouldn't have added those parts just for the hell of it so they must do something.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by walleyejack
now that IS silly
why do Grand Sports not have it ?
Actually, I intended it to be silly.
We know that if GM thought they could save a dollar of cost or a pound of weight, they'd get rid of the center piece immediately on the base car.

The answer to your question is somewhere in the "Ask Tadge" section, and also in JerryU's pdf link. Executive summary:
Basically, GM wants the handling of the car to not change at higher speeds, or change as little as possible. A base C7 with the front air dam develops a similar (small) amount of lift at both the front and rear at high speeds, so the "balance" remains about the same. The Z51 and GS have other aero pieces on the car that would cause it to be "nose heavy/tail light" at speed, changing the handling toward possible oversteer if the center air dam were installed, so they deleted it on those cars.

The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Lost part of my air dam